CURRENT AFFAIRS FEBRUARY MONTH –
WEEK 3 (20-26) ONE LINERS
- Thestate government of Maharashtrahas approved a 250 crore Cloud Seeding Programme to experiment whether cloud seeding produces sufficient rain.
- PM’s maternity benefits which provides a cash incentive ofRs 6,000 promise hits roadblock because of lack of funds and will benefit only those who have theirfirst child under this programme.
- Drones keep surveillance during polls in Odisha for polling booths in the Maoist-infested Malkangiri districtduring the fourth phase of panchayat polls.
- Assam Sarbananda Sonowal aims to make Assam cleanest State by October 2nd.
- Maulana Mahmood A Madani, secretary general ofJamiat Ulama-i-Hind, said having a toilet has been made a mandatory condition for Muslim marriage in the Assam, Haryana and Punjab.
- Ending more than two weeks of standoff with Nagaland Tribes Action Committee (NTAC), Nagaland chief minister TR Zeliang resigned from his post.
- 31st state hood day of Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram is celebrated on 20th
- India Vetiver Network (INVN) has been launched at Tamil Nadu Agricultural University in Coimbatore to promotevetiverin India.
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu and Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju inaugurated the Composite Regional Centre at Itanagar Banquet Hall, Arunachal Pradesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad launches Cyber Swachhta Kendra in New Delhi for Botnet cleaning and Malware analysis.
- J & K Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has declared 2017 as ‘Year of Apple’ to promote the famed Kashmiri apples in domestic and foreign markets
- Tamil Nadu government lead by Edappadi K Palaniswami has sanctioned Rs 2,247 crore to drought-hit farmers in Tamil Nadu.
- The largest Taekwondo display at a single venue consists of 1,152 participants and was achieved at an event held in Hyderabad, as recognised by the Guinness World Records.
- The government is planning to set up 7 Research parks at IITs, IISc for startups to propel innovation.
- The Gujarat Assembly today passed “The Gujarat Aadhaar Bill, 2017.
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) lead by Nitin Gadkari introduced the new format for recording accidents to find the cause of road accident.
- Allahabad High Court gets three new judges namely Ashok Kumar, Vivek Chaudhary and Saumitra Dayal Singh.
- 42nd annual Khajuraho Dance Festival will commence in Chhattarpur district of Madhya Pradesh.
- Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram celebrates Statehood Day on February 21.
- Uttar Pradesh is all set to overtake Maharashtra and become the top producer of sugar, according to the report released by the Indian Sugar Mill Association.
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee will visit Poland which has invited her to a three-day conference of European Economic Congress.
- Chhattisgarh government will soon be providing ‘Smart Mobile Phones’ to Anganwadi workers.
- Andhra Pradesh government has allocated lands for the construction of nine thematic cities in the new capital Amaravathi.
- The Centre has sanctioned a special package for strengthening security in three eastern districts of Arunachal Pradesh to tackle the insurgency problem.
- An MoU was signed between Development Commissioner (Handicrafts), Ministry of Textiles and National Scheduled Castes Finance and Development Corporation (NSFDC) with an objective to improve the earnings of artisans across the country.
- Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM), a mobile app by the government to make digital payments has seen over 17 million installs (downloads), setting a world record.
- Apollo Hospitals Foundation will provide medical support to forest department employees and local communities in the areas where WWF-India operates for conservation.
- Union Health Secretary K. Mishra has launched “Saathiya Resource Kits” that will provide information on adolescent related issues.
- Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu commissioned the fourth ship of Indian Coast Guard named ‘Shaunak’, in the series of six offshore patrol vessels (OPV) in Vasco, located in South Goa.
- Indigenous digital payments app BHIM, which the government launched in December 2016 for fast and secure cashless transactions, has recorded 17 milliondownloads
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu has announced raising pensionfor differently abled people under Chief Minister’s Disability Pension Scheme.
- Online course in child protection launched with UNICEF help was launched inJodhpur, Rajasthan offered free of cost to everyone interested in promotion of child rights.
- Haryana government decided to raise retirement age of university teachers to 65 years
- Union Health Secretary C.K. Mishra has launched “Saathiya Resource Kits” that will provide information on adolescent related issues and launched the mobile app ‘Saathiya Salah‘.
- The Gujarat Assembly passed Aadhaar Bill, 2017 to empower the state government to use Aadhaar number as for the delivery of various subsidies and benefits.
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema inaugurated the Composite Regional Centre at Itanagar To create resources and infrastructure required for serving persons with disabilities with an outlay of Rs.20 Crore.
- Gujarat Govt Presents Budget With No New Taxes In Poll Year
- Third National Biodiversity Congress (NBC) 2017 held in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala with the theme “Mainstreaming Biodiversity for Sustainable Development” with four sub-themes.
- Union government aims to bring high-speed digital connectivity to every village by 2018
- Tobacco food products like gutkha, pan masala banned in Punjab for one year.
- Indian Navy’s aircraft carrier INS Viraat will be decommissioned from service on March 6. Viraat is also the oldest surviving aircraft carrier in the world, and holds a Guinness world record.
- The Cabinet has approved an investment of 8,100 crore for setting up at least 50 solar parks and ultra mega solar power projects which would double the solar power production target to 40,000 MW.
- Jammu and Kashmir government on Wednesday launched an e-learning program by installing computers in the state’s public libraries, thus assisting students to prepare for competitive exams like JEE and CET.
New fully completed Antyodaya Express launched by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu which is fully unreserved train for the “common man”.
- Government has decided to issue Sovereign Gold Bonds 2016-17-Series IV, applications for the bonds will be accepted from 27th of this month to the 3rd of March.
- Delhi-based startup ‘We-Convert’ has made a ‘vending machine’ that lets users recycle plastic bottles, aluminium cans and glass scraps in exchange for rewards like shopping vouchers.
- The government has allowed women working in industries to take six months maternity leave pre-empting parliamentary approval on the maternity benefit amendment bill that is pending in the Lok Sabha.
- The Government of India and the State of Sikkimsigned a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) under the Scheme Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY), for operational improvement of the State’s Power Distribution Department.
- The Haryana government has made it mandatory for all private schools to install solar systems. A special grant of Rs.20,000 per kilowatt will also be given to the schools for installing solar power plants
- Over 600 artistes from around the world are taking part in the festival Brahan Natyanjali, a dance obeisance to Lord Bragadeesvarar, for Mahashivarathri at the Big Temple in Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu.
- Kerala to become First State in India to Have a Public Registry of Sex Offenders and the police to keep a track of offenders’ activities.
- The Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) on Thursday launched a mobile app for GST to provide updates to taxpayers on the regime which is to be rolled out from July 1.
- The Centre along with the Jammu and Kashmir government will invest 2,400 crore in the next five years to boost tourism in the state,
- Central Board of School Education (CBSE) has directed all of it’s afiliated schools to depute guards on school buses and fit the vehicles with CCTV cameras, GPS systems, sirens and grilles on windows.
- The Odisha government has withdrawn tax concession in the form of interest-free loans to Indian Oil Corporation Ltd’s 15 million tonne Paradeep Refinery project.
- The South Delhi Municipal Corporation has begun project, with the Standing Committee giving a nod to the 15 megawatt (MW) plant to be set up at Tekhand.
- “Everyday is a new day,” Hamid Ansari said about his nine-and-half years as Vice President (two successive terms).
- Rajasthan has become the second largest crude oil producer, producing nearly 90 lakh tones oil annually the country after the offshore field Bombay High
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 112-foot bust of the ‘Adi Yogi’ at the Isha Yoga Centre.
- AYUSH Minister to inaugurate the World Integrated Medicine Forum on Regulation of Homeopathic Medicine.
- The government has roped in actress Shilpa Shetty as a brand ambassador for the Indian government’s cleanliness initiative Swachh Bharat Mission.
- The Noida Metro Rail Corporation (NMRC) has entered the Limca book of records by putting 200 Ushaped girders in a month on the 30-km metro line. The Noida-Greater Noida metro link and City Center to Sector 62
- A programme to celebrate the achievements of visually impaired people was organised at the India Islamic Cultural Centre. The event, Anhad, was inaugurated by Vijay Sampla.
- 63. The Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje government has appointed a three-member committee, headed by former Chief Secretary D.C. Samant, to study and implementation of Seventh Pay Commission for employees in the State
- The railways has decided to go ahead with manufacturing on its own trainsets that can run at a maximum speed of 160 kmph. Suitable named ‘Train-2018’d likely to be pressed into service in Delhi-Lucknow or Delhi-Chandigarh sector.
- According to New World Wealth, Mumbai is the richest city in the country India’s financial capital Mumbai,which is home to 46,000 millionaires and 28 billionaires.
- India Approves USD 340 million Loan to Nepal for Development Programmes.
- According to a report released by Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), India emerged as the world’s largest importer of major arms during 2012–16.
- Researchers from Michigan State University announced the creation of the first stretchable integrated circuit using an inkjet printer
- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) reported that India emerged as the world’s largest importer of major arms during 2012–16.
- US President Donald Trump has appointed Lt Gen Herbert Raymond McMaster as his new National Security Advisor.
- India and Russia signed an agreement in October, 2016 to jointly manufacture 200 of the KA-226T helicopters for the Indian Armed Forces.
- International Finance Corporation (IFC) plans, expansion programme of Hyderabad-based pharma firm Granules India Ltd for manufacturing APIs (active pharmaceutical ingredients) in, Andhra Pradesh.
- India, China hold strategic dialogue to support India’s Nuclear Suppliers Group(NSG) and will discuss all issues of mutual interest in bilateral, regional and international domain.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the signing of Air Services Agreement (ASA) between India and Greece which comprises of greater trade, investment, tourism and cultural exchange between the two countries.
- Indiaand Rwandahave concluded a bilateral air services agreement enabling direct flights between the two countries. The 720-metre-long zip line connecting Spain and Portugal, is known to be the first cross-border zip line in the world.
China finishes South China Sea buildings that could house missiles long-range surface-to-air missiles.
- Turkey’s army is lifting a historic ban on female officers wearing the Islamic headscarf in the officially secular country.
- South Africa’s High Court obstructed the government’s attempt to withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC).
- 1st Sherpas Meeting for 2017 BRICS summit to be held in China: Theme: “Stronger Partnership for a Brighter Future”.
- India has approved a deal to develop jointly a medium range surface-to-air missile (MR-SAM) system for the Army in a17,000 crore deal executed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI).
- Bilateral talks held between Bangladeshi PM Sheikh Hasina and India’s Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar and discussed recent developments in Indo-Bangla relations and the region.
- The ninth BRICS Summit will be held in China’s Xiamen city from September 3 to 5, and the theme of this year’s event is ‘BRICS: Stronger Partnership for a Brighter Future’.
- India is America’s “greatest” strategic partner, a top US governor Virginia governor Terry McAuliffe has said while urging other governors to visit the country.
- India’s 26th High Commissioner to the UK, K. Sinha presented his credentials to Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace.
- 19. India and Germany have ratified the Social Security Agreement (SSA), which will come into force from May 1 this year, to help promote more investment flows between the two countries.
- 20. Pakistan has signed 10 agreements with Turkey to enhance bilateral cooperation in various fields, including exchange of financial intelligence and defence cooperation, during 5th Session of Pakistan-Turkey High Level Strategic Cooperation Council.
- 21. The New Develoment Bank (NDB) set up by the BRICS plans to provide lending to technological innovation projects in developing nations through its financing, capability building and knowledge.
- 22. Indonesian and Australian leaders committed to free trade and closer naval cooperation as they urged countries in the Asia Pacific region with competing territorial claims to obey international law.
- 23. Top officials of HAROPA, the largest French port consortium for container trade, are willing to extend their expertise to major ports authorities in India to boost maritime container trade.
APPOINTMENTS AND RECOGNITION
- Shurhozelie Liezietsu was unanimously elected as the legislature party leader of the ruling Democratic Alliance to be the new Nagaland Chief Minister after T R Zeliang stepped down from the post
- V Ramakrishnan has be appointed as CFO
- N Chandrasekaran has been appointed as new TCS Chairman.
- Army Lieutenant General R. McMaster was appointed as National Security Adviser of the USA by the President Donald Trump.
- The government has appointed Justice Abhay Manohar Sapreof the Supreme Court as chairman of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
- New Tata Sons chairman N Chandrasekaran to focus on shareholder returns, fund allocation:
- N Chandrasekaran,who took over as chairman of Tata Sons.
- Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev appointed his wife Mehriban Aliyev as the First Vice President of the country.
- Britain has appointed Cressida Dick as the next commissioner of London’s Metropolitan Police, making her the first woman to head Scotland Yard in its 188-year history.
- Somalia president Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed appoints Hassan Ali Khaire as its new Prime Minister :
- Tesla’s Chief Financial Officer Jason Wheeler has quit the company months before the electric vehicle maker is set to launch its new car ‘Model 3’.
- Ramkumar Narayanan Product Development head quits e-Bay.
- Cressida Dick(56) was appointed as the new commissioner of London’s Metropolitan Police. With this, she become the first woman to lead Scotland Yard in 188 year UK history.
- Commonwealth Games medal-winning wrestlers Geeta and Babita Phogat were named as brand ambassadors of the South Delhi Municipal Corporation’s sanitation campaign.
- Shilpa Shetty appointed ambassador for Swachh Bharat Mission:
- Cressida becomes 1st woman to head Scotland Yard in 188 yrs
- Former Nagaland Chief Minister T R Zeliang was appointed as Finance Advisor to the state government in the rank of a cabinet minister.
- China’s Zhong Shan currently a vice commerce minister, has been named new head of the Ministry of Commerce taking over from Gao Hucheng.
- Jason McCracken took charge as the CEO of the International Hockey Federation (FIH).
- Sakshi Malik, Sardar Singh, Babita Phogat get top Haryana sports award.
- Raj Kummar RaoandAnjali Patil-starrer political satire Newton, which had its world premiere at the 67th Berlin International Film Festival (also called Berlinale), has won the International Federation of Art Cinemas (CICAE) award.
- US Open finalistKarolina Pliskovasaid it was her “dream” to win a Grand Slam after she enhanced her growing reputation by winning the Qatar Open.
- Haryana government gave away the Bhim awards to 42 sports persons for their outstanding performance at the national and international fronts between the years 2013 and 2017.
- The Ahmedabad-based Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII), wins International Mercury Award 2016-17
- Karnataka Bank has bagged two ‘IBA-Banking Technology’ awards. The bank was the winner in ‘Best financial inclusion initiatives (small bank)’ category, and was runner-up in ‘Best use of digital and channels technology (small bank)’ category.
- India’s Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Vijay Goel announced on that 5 lakh each will be given to the members of India’s T20 World Cup for the Blind winning team as a cash reward.
- Karnataka bank was the winner in ‘Best financial inclusion initiatives (small bank)’ category, and was runner-up in ‘Best use of digital and channels technology (small bank)’ category
- An artist from Gujarat’s Vadodara district Kamal Rana has claimed to have created the world’s longest painting using fire flames.. The 63 feet long and 7 feet wide painting is dedicated to the cricket world.
- An Italian tattoo artist Alessandro Bonacorsi has broken the Guinness World Record for the world’s longest tattoo session, executing 28 tattoos over 57 hours and 25 minutes
- Vivek Chaand Sehgal, chairman of Motherson Sumi Systems Limited (MSSL), has been chosen as the ‘EY Entrepreneur of the Year 2016’.
BANKING, BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
- Oriental Bank of Commerce Launches Mobile Wallet ‘Batuaa’.
- The country’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) rebranded its corporate website as “bank.sbi” from the earlier “co.in”
- The GST Council approved a law to compensate states forany loss of revenuefrom the implementation of the Goods and Service Tax (GST) in the first five years
- AirAsiabecame thefirst foreign airline to begin its operations from Srinagar international airport in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The Union Budget announcement, the Finance Ministry started the process of listing three rail PSUs,IRCTC, IRFC and IRCON.
- Market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has given its approval to IRB InvIT Fund, to raise Rs 4,300 crore through an initial public offering (IPO).
- HSBC, UBS stop issuing participatory notes with regulatory and enforcement agencies tightening the screws on misuse ofoffshore derivative instruments.
- Magaluru based Karnataka Bank Ltd has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Daimler India Commercial Vehicles Pvt Ltd (DICV)
- US based IT giant Microsoft and Indian electronic commerce company Flipkart Group announced a “strategic partnership.” Flipkart, will adopt Microsoft Azure as its exclusive public cloud platform
- Tata Steel owned Katamati Iron Mine Wins Best Green Organization Award
- Bad loans have now shot up by 135 per cent from Rs 261,843 crore in the last 2 years.
- Banking giant Citi has launched the Citi Tech for Integrity Challenge (T4I) to promote integrity, accountability and transparency in the public sector.
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)has given its approval to IRB InvIT Fund, to raise Rs 4,300 crore through an Initial Public Offering (IPO).
- Bharat QR code the world’s first inter-operable payment acceptance solution, was launched as part of efforts to move towards less-cash economy
- Telangana CM K. Chandrashekar Rao signed an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with NABARD for a loan of Rs 874 crore.
- Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has signed a Technology Partnership MoU with two Singapore agencies to promote expertise in expanding businesses.
Dish TV joined hands with India.
- FMCG major Britannia Industries has signed an MoU with Greece’s cakes and confectionery major Chipita
- The RBI is not aware of the number of bank accounts in which more than Rs 2.5 lakh in the scrapped currency notes of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 were deposited between November 8 and December 30, 2016 under the Right to Information Act.
- Reserve Bank of India deputygovernor Viral Acharya, for resolution of stressed assets, suggested a Private Asset Management Company (PAMC),which would be suitable for sectors to overcome this problem.
- Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO), the retirement body of India introduced single page composite claim form that enable its subscribers to withdraw money from their PF account at an ease.
- Hyderabad based NBFC Microfinance institution Bharat Financial Inclusion Ltd launched an instant loan approval at a village near Bassi in Jaipur district, Rajasthan
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Vijaya Bank for providing concessional finance to micro and small enterprises (MSEs).
- Indiasigned an agreement withJapan on enhancing railway safety in the Indian Railwayswith focus on railway track and rolling stock safety.
- The state run Airports Authority of India, along with International Air Transport Association (IATA) launched its e-billing solution for airport operators and air navigation services providers across the world.
- The National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) has signed a MoU with the IoT Acceleration Consortium (ITAC) o collaborate to address digital technology shifts.
- Oricon Enterprises Ltd (OEL) is planned to build a manufacturing facility in Odisha with an investments of Rs 100 crores
- Government’s plan to create an integrated oil company, ONGC taking over HPCL or BPCL, the overall profit of the undertaking becomes more stable.
- Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO), the retirement body of India introduced single page composite.
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, CCEA has approved investment proposal for generation component of Arun-3 Hydro Electric Project in Nepal by SJVN Limited.
- The chief minister Chandrababu Naidu and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella singed an MoU during an event called ‘Microsoft Future Decoded’ in Mumbai.
- India’s growth is projected to slow to 6 per cent in 2016-17 fiscal due to the strains that have emerged in the economy caused by demonetization.
- 7th tranche of Sovereign Gold Bonds opens on February 27 under which people will be able to buy securities worth up to 500 grams of the metal.
- The Public Sector Oriental Bank of Commerce has signed a corporate agreement Cholamandalam General Insurance Company, will offer a wide range of non-life insurance products to customers of Oriental Bank of Commerce through its branches.
- Merging of SBI associate banks with SBI starts from April 1, 2017.
- India will be the fastest growing economy among G-20 countries clocking a 1 per cent growth in 2017, according to the Moody’s Investors Service.
- Indian IT services major Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has been ranked the world’s third most valuable brand in IT services industry
- Airtel Payments Bank is planning to cross-sell products like life insurance products and loans from banks and non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) over the next one year.
- The government is all set to bail out IDBI Bank BSE 0.00 % with a Rs. 3,000-crore capital infusion to help it maintain a healthy capital-adequacy ratio and pursue credit growth
- India and ADB have signed USD 375 million pact for loans and grants to develop 800km
- Visakhapatnam—Chennai Industrial Corridor
- Dena Bank has introduced Radio Frequency Identification Card (RFID) enabled banking cards
- India’s demonetisation led to huge cash. Real GDP growth is projected to slow to 6% in FY2016/17 due to temporary disruptions accompanying the currency exchange initiative.
- Foreign direct investment in India grew 18% during 2016 to touch $46 billion, data released by the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion.
- Food technology company Gorb has partnered with cab aggregator Ola to offer food to consumers at discounted rates in Mumbai.
- United Bank of India BSE -0.60 % has announced a tie-up with IRCTC to offer its customers facility to buy railway tickets using the bank’s debit card.
- 46. Larsen & Toubro Hydrocarbon Engineering said it had bagged orders worth Rs.1,100 crore from IOC for its Bongaigaon refinery in Assam. for IOC’s Indane Maximisation project,
- 47. Verizon Communications Inc buys Yahoo Inc’s core business for $4.48 billion, lowering its original offer by $350 million in the wake of two massive cyber attacks at the Internet Company.
Information and credit rating agency (ICRA) report:
Gross value added (GVA) is set to slip to 6.2% from 6.9 percent.
GDP growth will decline to 6.5% from 7.2%.
Bharti Airtel (Airtel) has officially announced that it will acquire Telenor India, the deal size ranges between Rs. 6,500 crore and Rs. 7,000 crore.
India’s largest telecom operator, Bharti Airtel announced that it is buying Norwegian telecom company Telenor’s India operations.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- The Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard launched sophisticated rockets during a military exercise that started in Iran’s central desert called ‘Grand Prophet 11’.
- SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket Successfully Launched from NASA launch Pad which weighs5,500 pounds (2,500 kg) of supplies and science experiments toward the International Space Station.Union Railway MinisterSuresh Prabhu commissioned the fourth ship of Indian Coast Guard named ‘Shaunak’, in the series of six offshore patrol vessels (OPV) in Goa.
- The first heliport in India will be inaugurated by Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju in North Delhi on 28th February of worth Rs.100 crores.
- Four new tiny frog species found in Western Ghats discovered by a team of researchers from the University of Delhi and the Kerala Forest Department.
- NASA scientistshave discovered living microorganisms trapped inside crystals for as long as60,000 yearsin a mine in Mexico.
- NASAhas hinted at discovery of something exciting related to planets that orbit stars other than our sun, known as exoplanets.
- Astronomers have discovered for the first time seven new Earth-sized exoplanets that may be able to sustain life. these exoplanets are orbiting a star 39 light years away.
- The U.S. space agency is considering putting astronauts on test flight of the deep space capsule Orion,as it is known as Exploration Mission 1 (EM-1) was scheduled for 2018 and was expected to be unmanned.
- Scientists have discovered a large piece of carved jade that once belonged to an ancient Maya king. The jade pendant worn on king’s chest during the religious ceremony.
- NASA to create Space Technology Research Institutes for Deep Space Exploration namely; Centre for the Utilization of Biological Engineering in Space (CUBES)and Institute for Ultra-Strong Composites by Computational Design (US-COMP)
- A Lost Continent that sunk about100 million years agohas been discovered underneath New Zealand by the scientists hidden submerged in Pacific Ocean.
- CSIR-National Institute of Oceanography (CSIR-NIO) informed thatIndia’s only live volcano in the Andaman and Nicobar Islandshas started erupting smoke and lava again.
- Monster pulsar discovered 50 million light years awaythat is, a collapsed star spinning around at an increasing speed and sending out as much energy in one second as our Sun does in 5 years
- Indigenous cryogenic engine C25 feat to propel GSLV–Mk III launch by the end of April
- India will build its most powerful supercomputer. Its processors operate at the full capacity of 10 petaflops, it could earn a place among the world’s top 10 fastest supercomputers for monsoon forecasting
- Rs 17,000 crore deal jointly developing with Israel a medium-range surface-to-air missile (MR-SAM) for the Indian army with strike range of up 70 km
- Bangalore has been chosen to host the next Davis Cup Asia-Oceania Zone group-1 tie against Uzbekistan from April 7 to 9, 2017.
- Afghanistan cricket broke a new barrier when Mohammad Nabi and Rashid Khan became the first from to be picked in the Indian Premier League (IPL) auction.
Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi has announced his retirement from international cricket.
- Following the path of Indian boxing sensationVijender Singh, Akhil and Jitender Kumar Signs Deal to Turn Professional Boxers.
- Haryana’s Sandeep athleteSandeep Kumar of Haryanawon the gold medal in the Men’s 50km event of the National Race Walking Championships held in New Delhi.
- South Korea’s Jang Ha-Nastormed to a three-shot victory in theAustralian Open at Royal Adelaide with a blistering eagle-birdie finish.
- Virat Kohli has become the first Indian athlete to sign a deal worth over 100 crore with a brand, after signing up with Puma.
- Dustin Johnson takes place of Jason Day as golf’s world No1 after win in Los Angeles.
- American Ryan Harrison captured his first ATP title, winning all 12 break points he faced to defeat Georgia’s Nikoloz Basilashvil.
- American professional golfer Dustin Hunter Johnson has claimed No 1 Position in Official World Golf Ranking for the first time.
- Virat Kohli has become the first Indian athlete to sign a deal worth over100 crore with a brand, after signing up with Puma.
- Olympian boxer Diwakar Prasadhas decided to turn professional. Diwakar was among the 13 boxers, also including Commonwealth Games medallist
- All-rounder Harmanpreet Kaurstruck a run-a-ball by one wicketon the final ball of the match. the women’s cricket team pulling off a last-ball thriller against South Africa.
- The International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF)is all set to put the gun on IOC’s shoulder, to decide upon the suggestions aimed towards achieving 50 % female participation in the Tokyo Olympics in 2020.
- Former India captain S. Dhoniwill lead the Jharkhand teamin the upcoming Vijay Hazare oneday tournament Group-D
- India to host 2019 Combined World Cup for shooting which will be a qualifying event for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- The Indian women’s and men’s teams have both been crowned Roll Ball World champions.
- India’s Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Vijay Goel announced on Wednesday on Twitter that 5 lakh each will be given to the members of India’s T20 World Cup for the Blind winning team as a cash reward.
- Sports Minister Vijay Goel announced that 1st Gramin Khel Mahotsav will be held from 25th to 31st of next month in New Delhi. The games will be held in five sports disciplines Athletics, Kabaddi, Kho-Kho, Volley Ball and Wrestling.
- India’s one day captain Mithali Raj and Harmanpreet Kaur were placed 2nd and 10th in the ICC batswomen’s rankings released after the World Cup qualifier that ended recently.
- The National Rifle Association of India(NRAI) announced that India will be hosting the Combined World Cup for shooting in 2019
- The International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) has officially announced that New Delhi would host the rifle and pistol World Cup in 2019.
- The first-ever FIH (International Hockey Federation) Hockey Stars event held at Argentina. Belgium, which finished runner-up at Rio
- Former Sri Lankan cricketer Kumar Sangakkara became the second Asian, after Mahela Jayawardene, and 16th overall to feature in 1,000 matches across all forms of the game.
- World Toe Wrestling Championship is held annually in England. The sport, which is similar to arm wrestling, was invented in the 1970s and is reportedly registered as an international sport.
- Shooting World Cup: Song Buhan, Shi Mengyao and Laetisha Scanlan set World records:
- Pooja Ghatkar gave India a robust start, winning the women’s air rifle bronze in the shooting World Cup at the Karni Singh Range, Tughlakabad.
27. South Africa captain A.B. de Villiers became the fastest crickerter to score 9000 ODI runs.
28. Indian Grandmaster Harika Dronavalli was defeated against Tan Zhongyi of China in semi-finals of the FIDE World Women’s Chess Championship in Tehran.
29. Netherlands’ Li Jie and Hitomi Sato featured an in incredible rally of 766-shot in ITTF World Tour match.
- Former Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir Dies at the age of 68.
- Richard Lewis, who has died aged 78, was a distinguishedtelevision producer and director, who worked forBBC Wales.
- K. Srinivasan, noted bureaucrat, columnist and director of the Institute of Economic Studies passed away
- Director Antony Mitra Das, made films in Tamil, Malayalam and Sinhaleseand also served in the army during the Second World War, dies.
- Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations, Vitaly Churkinhas died in New York City
- Noted bureaucrat, columnist and director of the Institute of Economic Studies, K. Srinivasan was passed away in Hyderabad.
- Nobel-winning economist, mathematician Kenneth J Arrowhas died in USA on February 23, 2017
BOOKS & AUTHORS
- Punjab Congress chief Amarinder Singh’s biography, ‘The People’s Maharaja‘, written by Khushwant Singh was released in Chandigarh
- Upinder Singh, daughter of former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh released book, titled Pracheen Evam Poorv Madhyakaleen Bharat ka Itihaas — Pashaan Kaal Se 12th Shatabdi Tak.
- German Sportswear giant Adidas announced its ties up with FIFA U-17 World Cup Local Organizing Committee for the Mission XI Million programme.
The WTO’s trade facilitation agreement, which seeks to ease customs norms, came into effect will give a boost to the global trade, which has been impacted due to slowdown in the world economy.
- Cabinet approves MoU between India and Australia for promotion and development of cooperation in civil aviation security.
- The National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with the IoT Acceleration Consortium (ITAC) Japan, to collaborate and address digital technology shifts.
- India and Bangladesh signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the sustainable development of Sylhet city with consideration of three projects