Current Affairs One Liners – August 14-21 | Download as PDF
Current Affairs One Liners – August 14-21 | Download as PDF
- The nation is celebrating its 71st Independence Daytoday and the main function was held at the Red Fort in the national capital where Prime Minister NarendraModi unfurled the National Flag synchronized with 21-Gun Salute. The Prime Minister called for an end to the “chaltahai” attitude of complacency, and its replacement with an attitude of “badalsaktahai” for positive change.
- Maharashtra Chief Minister DevendraFadnavislaunched “NamoYuvaRojgar Kendra” an initiative providing job opportunities to unemployed youth in Mumbai. There are various schemes like farmers weekly market, farmers mobile market and mother’s tiffin, under this YuvaRojgar Kendra and they can get fresh and healthy food, as well as farm, produce procured directly from farmers.
- Infusion Nurses Society (INS)– a global authority in infusion therapy launched India’s first online course on Infusion Therapy for nurses, under which it aims to train over 3,000 nurses in the vital medical procedure.
- President Ram NathKovindhas approved 112 Gallantry Awards to armed forces and paramilitary personnel on the occasion of the 71st Independence Day. The Awards includes 5 Kirti Chakras, 17 Shaurya Chakras, 85 Sena Medals (Gallantry), three NaoSena Medals (Gallantry) and two VayuSena Medals (Gallantry). Of all 112, 19 are posthumous.
- Prime Minister NarendraModilaunched a website to honour all the gallantry award winners since Independence http://gallantryawards.gov.in
- Indiawill host the next steering committee meeting of the proposed 1,814 kilometre-long Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) gas pipeline, senior officials on both sides confirmed.
- Maharashtra Chief Minister DevendraFadnavisinaugurated the next generation projection mapping system at the iconic Gateway of India in south Mumbai.
- Indian Air Forceembarked upon an all women camel expedition along with Border Security Force from Utarlai (Barmer, Rajasthan) to Attari (Amritsar, Punjab). The expedition will conclude on 30 Sep 17. The team was flagged off from Air Force Station Uttarlai. The expedition is planned with a team of 10 Women Air Warriors of IAF and 10 Women personnel from BSF.
- The main building of the Uttarakhand secretariatwill be named after former President A P J Abdul Kalamand this announcement was made by Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat on Independence Day.
- India’s first railways disaster managementvillage expected to come up near Bengaluru at a place called Hejjala by December 2018.It will be used to replicate train accidents so that real time rescue operations could be carried out to improve such efforts.
- A limited edition silver coin on Lord Krishna will be released on Janmashtami on August 15 by the Republic of Chad in commemoration of the 5,244th birth anniversary of the Hindu God.
- A special programme would soon be launched to prevent the spread of malaria in remote areas of Odisha’sGanjam district. The programme has been christened as “DurgamaAnchalare Malaria Nirakaran” (DAMON)
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, CCEAhas approved the proposal of Department of Investment and public Asset Management, DIPAM for the strategic disinvestment.
- The Union Cabinet has approved raising extra budgetary resources up to 9,020 crore rupeesfor Long Term Irrigation Fund in 2017-18. Finance Minister ArunJaitley said that the amount will be raised by NABARD through Bonds.
- The Union Law Ministryforwarded to the President the Tamil Nadu government’s proposed ordinance on one-year exemption from NEET. The ordinance will be applicable for only government medical colleges in the State.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister ShriNarendraModihas given its approval to the proposal to complete the balance works of the North Koel Reservoir Project in Jharkhand and Bihar at an estimated expenditure of Rs.27 crore to be incurred during three financial years from the start of the project.
- In order to facilitate the availability of FASTagsfor Electronic Toll Collection, NHAI has taken two revolutionary steps in consultation with RBI and NPCI. These include online sale of FASTags and offline sale through Common Services Centre (CSC) near toll plazas.
- The Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region(I/C), Prime Minister’s Office, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Jitendra Singh said that a North Eastern Cultural and Information Centre will be set up in Delhi soon. The project is expected to be completed within 1-2 years and at a cost of approximately Rs. 50-55 crores.
- Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhilaunched the Indira Canteen scheme a Karnataka state government initiative named after former prime minister Indira Gandhi aimed at providing food at low cost to the urban poor.
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), under the Ministry of Power, today signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)with Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) under the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MoPNG) for distribution of energy efficient appliances under the flagship UnnatJeevan by Affordable LEDs and appliances for All (UJALA) scheme.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the PrimeMinister ShriNarendraModi has accorded its approval for creation of a non-lapsable pool in the Public Account for secondary and higher, education known as “Madhyamik and UchchtarShikshaKosh” (MUSK) into which all proceeds of “Secondary and Higher Education Cess” will be credited.
- Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan,launched the “Harit Diwali, Swasth Diwali” campaign.
- The Prime Minister interacted with Young Entrepreneurs at the “Champions of Change” initiative organised by NITI Aayog at PravasiBharatiya Kendra.
- Industries in the north eastern and Himalayan stateswill continue to get tax exemption till March 2027, albeit as refund, under the current GST regime which was rolled out on July 1
- The Union Cabinetcleared a MoU signed between India and Sweden on intellectual property right (IPR) cooperation, aimed at benefiting entrepreneurs, investors and businesses. This meeting is chaired by Prime Minister NarendraModi. It will enable India to exchange experiences in innovation and IP ecosystems.
- An MoUwas signed between Government eMarketplace (GeM) SPV and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), in the presence of Smt NirmalaSitharaman, Commerce & Industry Minister at UdyogBhawan, New Delhi. Smt S RadhaChauhan, CEO GeM and ShChandrajit Banerjee, DG, CII singed the MoU on behalf of GeM SPV and CII respectively.
- Centre has doubled the child care allowance for women employeeswith disabilities to three thousand rupees per month.
- Union Minister for Textile and Information & Broadcasting, SmritiIraniwill arrive in Ranchi to inaugurate Orient Craft Textile facility at Irba near Ranchi in Jharkhand. It is being organised under special make in Jharkhand drive, called “Momentum Jharkhand”.
- A two day Chief Electoral Officers’ Conference of all States and Union Territories commenced in New Delhi. It was inaugurated by A.K. Joti, Chief Election Commissioner of India andShri. O.P. Rawat, Election Commissioner of India.
- NavikaSagarParikramais a project wherein a team of six women officers of the Indian Navy would circumnavigate the globe on an Indian-built sail boat INSV Tarini.
- The last date for filing returnsand payment of taxes under the GST regime has been extended by five days. The returns can now be filed till the 25th of this august monthFor taxpayers who have to claim credit for past taxes paid by filing form TRANS 1, the last date for returns will be August 28th.
- MIT World Peace University, the first of its kind in India, was inaugurated by Chief Minister of Maharashtra DevendraFadnavis.
- The Centrehas approved a nearly Rs 32,000 crore plan for the Coast Guard that will give more teeth to the maritime security agency in maintaining vigil on coastal waters
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare JP Naddawill launch 15 medical outlets of AMRUT Deendayal in Assam, Uttar Pradesh and Punjab through Video Conference from Shimla. The purpose of AMRUT Deendayalprogramme is to provide different kind of medicines and equipment’s on cheap rates to the patients. The discount up to 60 percent on MRP is provided to the patients.
- The Assam governmenthas proposed ambitious project to improve rural road connectivity. Managing Director of Assam State Transport Corporation A P Tiwari said that government is mulling to start Chief Minister’s LokParivahanYojna.
- State-owned Indian Oil Corp (IOC)will invest about Rs 52,000 crore in expanding Paradip refinery and setting up petrochemical complex after the Odisha government agreed to restore part of tax incentives.
- The Union government is all set to double the metro rail networkover the next 18 months, adding three new cities to the metro map.Lucknow Metro would be the first off the block as it has received safety clearance and would be inaugurated within this month
- The Ministry of Defencehas decided to delegate administrative and financial powers to the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) to avoid delays on account of references between the Chief Engineer, HQ DGBR and the Ministry. A chief engineer of the BRO can accord administrative approval up to 50 crore, ADGBR up to Rs. 75 crore and DGBR up to Rs. 100 crore.
- The Prime Minister, ShriNarendraModi, reviewed the progress of two key schemes related to the agriculture sector– Soil Health Cards; and PradhanMantriFasalBimaYojana.
- The Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM), a professional body under the aegis of the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP), Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India, is organizing a three-day workshop on Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) from 22nd – 24th August, 2017, in New Delhi.ShriRajnath Singh, Union Minister of Home Affairs, will be the Chief Guest.
- Union Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal, Renewable Energy and Mines, ShriPiyushGoyal, addressed a distinguished gathering of delegates attended 8th World Renewable Energy Technology Congress in New Delhi. The Minister also gave away Energy and Environment Foundation Global Excellence awards 2017 during the inaugural session of the conference.
- India and Turkmenistan discussed joining the Ashgabat Agreementthat envisages establishment of International Transport and Transit Corridor between Iran, Oman and Turkmenistan.
- Melbournehas been declared the most liveable city in the world for the seventh year running by the Economist’s annual global liveability survey, while Sydneyremains in 11th place. It is the first time in the survey’s 15-year history that a city has held the No 1 rank in its own right for seven consecutive years.
- Italywill host a summit of Group of Seven Interior Ministers centered on security issues in the fall. Italian Interior Minister Marco Minnitisaid, the meeting is being organised at the request of Italy’s G-7 partners- Canada, France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Japan and the United States.
- Nepal and Chinasigned three pactsto further boost their ties in power and energy sectors. The pacts were signed to undertake a feasibility study to excavate natural gas and petroleum in the Himalayan country, including in the southern Terai plains.
- Chinaannounced USD 1 million assistanceto flood-hit Nepal as the country’s Vice Premier Wang Yang held talks with his Nepalese counterpart on ways to enhance bilateral ties.
- President Donald Trumphas signedinto law an updated veterans’ education bill that marks the largest expansion of college assistance for military veterans in a decade.
- Despite growing tensions with China, official sources said the Indian Navy would join the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Navyin a maiden maritime search and rescue exercise to be chaired by Bangladeshat the Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS) in November this year.
- The Nepal government has announced to release 1 billionto flood and landslide victims. The decision was taken at a meeting of the Prime Minister Disaster Relief Fund Committee held at Kathmandu.
- India and Russiawill hold a mega military exercisein October involving their armies, navies and the air forces for the first time to further ramp up military ties.
- The exercise “Indra”, which will be held in Russia from 19 to 29 October, will primarily focus on achieving coordination between forces of the two countries in a tri- services integrated theatrecommand scenario
- India is deploying along its volatile border with Pakistan a smart Israel-developed fencing system having a ‘quick response team’mechanism which strikes when the CCTV-powered control room detects an infiltration attempt. The BSF is implementing an ambitious project called the Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS)as part of the NarendraModi government’s plan to completely seal the Indo-Pak and India-Bangladesh borders in the next few years.
- According to the global leaderin broadband testing Ookla, Norway has the fastest mobile Internetin the world. In only 13 months, Norway has jumped from 11th to first place on the list of world best providers of fast Internet connection.
- India and Turkmenistan reviewed the entire bilateral relationsand took stock of the progress achieved in key areas like energy, trade and security, the Ministry of External Affairs said. The Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Turkmenistan Rashid Meredov led a high-level delegation comprising senior officials of the Government of Turkmenistan to New Delhi from August 13-15
- SpaceXsuccessfully launched Hewlett Packard Enterprise’s (HPE) ‘Spaceborne Computer’ towards the International Space Station using Falcon 9 rocket.
- Sir David Attenboroughfinally earned his wings after scientists named a 100-million-year-old damselflyafter the veteran broadcaster and naturalist. Researchers led by Professor Edmund A. Jarzembowski have formally named the insect as Mesostictadavidattenboroughi as a belated 90th birthday present to the world’s most famous naturalist.
- Qatarhas launched a new direct routebetween the country’s Hamad Port and Pakistan’s port of Karachi.
- The US and Japanhave agreed to advance their multilateral security and defence cooperation with countries like India, South Korea and Australia, amidst China’sgrowing assertiveness in the Asia Pacific region.
- Five Indian-origin personshave featured in Fortune’s annual list of 40 young and influential people (40 under 40)in the field of business inspiring others with their work.The Indian-origin 26-year-old Divya Nag who oversees Apple’s ambitious ResearchKit and CareKitprogrammes has been ranked 27th. Rishi Shah, 31, and ShradhaAgarwal, 32, who helm more than 10-year-old health-tech firm Outcome Health have been ranked 38thon the list. Leila Janah (31) CEO and founder of non-profit Samasource has been ranked 40th on the list.
- Emma Stonehas been named Hollywood’s best-paid female actor in Forbes’ annual list of top earners. The 28-year-old made $26m in the last 12 months
- US President Donald Trumpand Prime Minister NarendraModiagreed to enhance peace and stability in the Indo-Pacific region by establishing a new two-by-two ministerial dialogue.The new format would include External Affairs Minister SushmaSwaraj and Defence Minister ArunJaitley and their American counterparts Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Defence Secretary James Mattis.
- Chinalaunched its first cyber court specialisingin handling internet-related cases in the e-commerce hub of Hangzhou amid a spike in the number of online disputes.
- NASA has launched the latest in a series of satellitesaimed at ensuring astronauts at the International Space Station can communicate with Earth.
- The $408millionBoeing-made Tracking and Data Relay Satellite (TDRS-M) soared into space atop an Atlas V rocket that launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- The annual ten day “Ulchi Freedom Guardian” joint military exercise between the US and South Korea
BANKING & BUSINESS
- Governmenthas directed internet majors – Google, Facebook, Whatsapp, Instagram, Microsoft and Yahoo– to immediately remove the links of dangerous online game “Blue Whale Challenge”, which has led to suicide of children in India and other countries. Mumbai and West Midnapore district have reported deaths linked to this game.
- Retail inflationrose to 36 per cent in July this year, chiefly driven by hardening prices in sugar and confectionery items, pan, tobacco, and intoxicants. Retail inflation, as measured by the consumer price index, had stood at 1.46 per cent in June.
- Wholesale inflationrose to 88 per centin July this year, year-on-year, as the prices of some commodities increased. Inflation based on the wholesale price index had stood at 0.9 per cent in June this year, and 0.63 per cent in July last year.
- The country’s exports grew 9 percentin July this year, on a yearly basis, to 22.5 billion dollars. Exports rose due to an increase in shipments of petroleum, chemicals and marine products. Official data showed that imports rose 15.4 per centin July, to 34 billion dollars, due to a rise in inward shipments of crude oil and gold.
- ICICI Prudential Mutual Fundhas launched a new website ‘PlanYourGoal.com’ to help users plan their investments according to their future financial goals.
- The governmenthas imposed a new penalty of $ 264 million(about Rs 1,700 crore) on Reliance Industries Ltd and its partners for producing less than the targeted natural gas from eastern offshore KG-D6 fields in 2015-16.
- Reserve Bankhas made Aadhaar linkagemandatory for farmers who wish to avail short-term crop loans in 2017-18. In a notification issued from Mumbai, RBI has advised banks to make Aadhaar linkage compulsory to ensure hassle-free benefits to farmers under the Interest Subvention Scheme.
- The international exchange from BSE,IndiaINX, received an approval from the regulator, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), to commence trading in Gold Options contracts – the first for India at GIFT IFSC.
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)has conferred the ‘best performance award’for 2015-16 and 2016-17 to Karnataka VikasGrameen Bank (KVGB) for its work in the field of credit-linking joint liability groups (JLGs).
- The Kumbakonam-headquartered bankintroduced the option of an “instant credit card” for free for its Net banking customers. And, the product, which was soft-launched, seems to have caught the fancy of its customers instantly.
- A Grant Agreement from the Global Environment Facility (GEF)of the World Bank of USD 24.64 millionfor “Ecosystem Service Improvement Project” was signed by Shri Sameer Kumar Khare, Joint Secretary (MI), Department of Economic Affairs (DEA), Ministry of Finance on behalf of the Government of India and Mr. HishamAbdoKahin, Acting Country Director for India on behalf of the World Bank. The project’s duration is 5 years
- KarurVysya Bankunveiled the Aadhaar Enrolment Centre here following UIDAI’s directive last month.
- HDFC Bank Ltd cut interest rates on most of its savings accounts to 5%from 4%.Customers with savings bank account balance of 5 million rupees and above will continue to earn interest at 4 percent per annum.
- RBI will shortly issue new banknotes of Rs 50 denominationin the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series.
A RBI pressrelease has informed that the base colour of the new notes will be fluorescent blue and its dimension will be 66 mm x 135 mm.
- The new notes will bear the picture of the iconic stone chariot at Hampi,Karnataka on the reverse, depicting the country’s cultural heritage along with the Swachh Bharat logo, year of printing, numeral 50 in devnagiriand the language panel.
- HDFC Bank cuts its savings bank interest rate, another private sector lender, this time ICICI Bankhas cut its rate too. The bank announced that it has slashed its interestrate by 50 basis points to 3.5 per centon deposits below Rs 50 lakh.
- BSNL unveiled its mobile wallet in partnership with MobiKwikto enable one-tap bill payment for its over 100 million subscribers. The subscribers will also be able to use the digital wallet at over 1.5 million merchants across India.
- Telecom regulatorsof 23 countriesfrom the Asia-Pacific will meet in Delhi this month to discuss challenges in framing rules for digital ecosystem and regional roaming, among others. Regulatory heads of Australia, Afghanistan, Iran, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Vanuatu, Fiji and some others are slated to attend the international meet.
- Union Bank of Indiaentered into a corporate agencyagreement with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance and Cholamandalam MS General Insurance for distribution of their insurance products.
- The first regional centreof the New Development Bank, set up by India and other BRICS nations, was officially opened by South African President Jacob Zumaand the banks Indian head K V Kamath.The idea was proposed by India at the 4th BRICS summit in 2012 at New delhi.
- State-run power transmission utility Power Grid Corpsaid it will get a loan of $500 millionfrom the Asian Development Bank (ADB) for its various projects.
- The mergers of regional rural banksthat are ordered by the government are now exemptfrom seeking CCI approval, according to a notification a move that will lead to faster closure of such transactions. The exemption has been granted for a period of five years.
- The governmenthas extended till Marcha cash back scheme that offers incentives of up to 1,000 to merchants for accepting payments through the Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM) application.
- Axis Bankwill waive 12equated monthly installments(EMIs) on regular repayments of loans of up to 30 lakh under the new scheme ShubhAarambh Home Loans.
- Corporation Bankhas bagged the best performance awardsfor SHG-bank linkage programme for 2015-16 and 2016-17 among commercial banks operating in Karnataka from National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
- The US-based Marconi Societyhas announced its Lifetime Achievement Awardto Indian-born Stanford University professor Thomas Kailath, for his outstanding contributions to modern communications.
- BappiLahiri, 1st music director who composed songs for Bharat RatnaShri. AtalBihari Vajpayee & Bharat Ratna Dr. Ambedkargifted the CDs to Honorable President of India Ram NathKovind
- Reliance Powersaid its Sasan captive coal mine has been awarded the National Safety Award (Mines) for 2013 and 2014. Under “commendable safe work environment and safety practices” category.
- DrNanda Kumar Jairam, CEO, Chairman and Group Medical Director,Columbia Asia Hospitals, India, has been awarded the ‘Healthcare Personality of the Year’ award.
- A 12-year-old Rahul Doshi Indian-origin boyhas been crowned as the UK’s ‘Child Genius’in a popular television quiz competition.He won the Channel 4 show ‘Child Genius’.
- OinamBembem Devi, the flag bearer of Indian women’s footballover the past two decades was named the winnerof the prestigious Arjuna Award. Bembem becomes the second Indian woman footballer to win the award, the first being Shanti Mullick in 1983.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
- IFCI Ltd, a government company, is set to have a new Managing Director & CEO in E SankaraRao,who is currently Chief General Manager at India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd (IIFCL).
- TilakMarapanaof the United National Party (UNP)assumed charge as Sri Lanka’s Foreign Minister here, following his predecessor Ravi Karunanayake’s resignation.
- Santosh Sharmawas appointed as chairman and managing director (CMD) of Hindustan Copper Ltd (HCL). He is currently director (operations) in the same company.
- Auto major Tata Motorsannounced the appointment of P B Balaji as its group Chief Financial Officer. He will replace C Ramakrishnan
- UN Secretary General Antonio Guterreshas appointed senior UN official Ruby Sandhu-Rojonas his new Deputy Special Representative for West Africa and the Sahel.
- ShashiShekharVempati, chief executive officer (CEO)at public broadcaster PrasarBharati has been appointed as the chief of RajyaSabha TV.
- The chief executives of Intel Corp., Merck & Co. Inc. and Under Armour Inc.resignedfrom U.S. President Donald Trump’s American Manufacturing Council, following Mr. Trump’s initially tepid response to weekend violence at a rally of white supremacists in Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Vishal Sikkahas resigned as the Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of Infosys. PravinRao has been appointed as the interim CEO. Sikka will now be the executive vice-chairman of the company.
- Brazilian star Neymarhas become a goodwill ambassador for Handicap International, pledging to work for millions who are ‘less visible’ but deserve equality.
- General Motors Indiaannounced the appointment of Sanjiv Gupta as the new President and Managing Director of the company.
- Pakistan’s High Commissioner-designate SohailMahmoodarrived in India and took charge at the Indian High Commission. Mahmood served as the Ambassador of Pakistan to Thailand from 2009-2013.
- Pakistan-origin singer Adnan Sami, who got Indian citizenship last year, and eminent Carnatic musicianand playback singer K J Yesudashave been nominated as trustees of the city-based Bharat Bhavan, a senior Madhya Pradesh government.
- Rear Admiral Travis Sinniahwas appointed as the chief of Sri Lankas navalforces, making him the first from the minority Tamil community to head the Navy since the brutal civil war erupted in the country 45 years ago.
- Russian President Vladimir Putinappointed career diplomat NikolayKudashev as Russia’s new ambassador to India.
- The information and broadcasting ministryconstituted a steering committee for the International Film Festival of India (IFFI)with film director NageshKukunoor and lyricist Prasoon Joshi among its members. The IFFI is proposed to be held from November 20-28 in Goa.
- KarurVysya Bank Ltdhas informed BSE that the Reserve Bank of Indiahas accorded their approval for the appointment of Shri P R Seshadri as Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of the Bank
- Stephen Bannon, the chief strategistof US President Donald Trump, steps down even as US administration is engulfed in a storm over latter’s remarks on Charlottesville violence.
- (Ms.) MamtaSuritook charge as Executive Director, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI)in New Delhi.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- US scientistshave been successfulin developing a plant-based Zika vaccine that could be more effective and economical to produce than other Zika medicines.
- Cristiano Ronaldohas been suspended for five games after he was sent off in Real Madrid’s 3-1 win against Barcelona in the Spanish Super Cup first leg.
- India won 10 medals,including two gold, in the 6th Golden In all, India won two gold, four silver and four bronze medals in the Glove women’s Boxing Tournament at Vojvodina, Serbia.
- Indian men’s hockey team overcome world No. 4 Netherlandswith an exciting encounter. Led by Manpreet Singh, the team last night featured nine players from the junior team, but still beat an experienced Netherlands squad through goals from Gurjant (4th minute) and Mandeep (51). India, thus, won the three-match series.
- LakshyaSenclinched the Bulgaria Open International Series title after notching up a hard-fought win over Croatia’s ZvonimirDurkinjakin the men’s singles final in Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Alexander Zverevkept his winning streak alive with a victory over Roger Federer in the Rogers Cup final in Montreal, Canada.
- RafalNadalis set to return to world number one for the first time in three years after Roger Federer withdrew from the Cincinnati Masters with a back injury.
- American tennis player Serena Williamshas topped the Forbes’ list of highest paid female athletes of 2017, with $27 million in earnings between June 2016 and June 2017.
- Indian consulate in Torontoobserved Independence Dayon August 15, one group of participants at the celebrations stood tall – members of the Indian contingent that had just won a record haul of 37 medals at the World Dwarf Games in Canada.
- RinkuHoodabags silver at World U-20 Para Athletics Championships.
- India captain ViratKohlicontinued to be the world’s top-ranked one-day batsman in the latest ICC ODI rankings. And in the Second placed is Australian David
- The Indian pair of SoumyajitGhosh and G Sathiyancame close to toppling the top-seeded Japanese duo of Jin Uda and Maharu Yoshimura, only to end with a silverin the men’s doubles at the Bulgaria Open in Panagyurishte
- Australia’s former Olympicand world cycle champion Stephen Wooldridge diedat the age of just 39.
- Veteran photographer S Pauldied in New Delhi at the age of 88.
- Former Kerala advocate generalM K Damodaran passed away in Kochi after a prolonged illness
- Jerry Lewis, one of Hollywood’s most successful comediansdied in Las Vegas. He is one of the most popular comic actors of the 1950s and ’60s.
HISTORIC EVENTS OF THE DAY
|19th August||World Bee Day|
|19th August||World Humanitarian Day|
|19th August||World Photography Day|
- The nation is remembering former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhion his 73rd birth anniversary.Mr Rajiv Gandhi was born on 20thAugust 1944. He served as the Prime Minister from 31st October 1984 to 2nd December 1989. He was assassinated on 21st May, 1991 at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu during a poll campaign.
- World Mosquito Daywas first established in 1897, when the link between mosquitos and malaria transmission was discovered by Sir Ronald Ross. It is celebrated on 20thAugust every year.Theme of 2017:”Protect Yourself from Mosquito Bites”.