CURRENT AFFAIRS WEEKLY ONE LINERS : APRIL 08 – APRIL 13
- The 64th National Film Awards, Surabhi Lakshmi and Akshay Kumar were best actors. Neerja was declared Best Hindi Film.
- Members of Parliament will play a friendly T20 cricket match at the Himachal Pradesh to support to make India TB-free by 2025.
- Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the National Children’s Film Festival at VUDA Children’s Arena in Visakhapatnam.
- Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath has directed removal of the word ‘Samajwadi’ from development schemes and replace ‘Mukhyamantri’
- Automobile manufacturers requested deadline BS-VI emission norm from April 1, 2019 to April 1, 2020.
- The Tamil Nadu government promoted three IAS officers to the rank of Chief Secretary to the government. Niranjan Mardi, Davidar, and Hans Raj Verma,
- India and Bangladesh runs passenger train service (Maitree Express) and a goods train and also flagged off the passenger bus service.
- The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG)has approved 26 projects worth Rs 2,154.28 crore under the Centre’s Namami Gange’ programme
- Volunteers and wildlife activists will count the actual number of wild elephants in the country from May 16 to 19, after a five-year gap
- Assam Announces “Free Education for Girls” and also denial of government jobs to people with more than two children.
- The Delhi city’s iconic Lodhi Gardens, home to historic tombs and exotic plants and bird species, celebrates 81 years.
- The Russian made TU-142M, the long range maritime patrol aircraft of the Indian Navy to be converted into a museum
- Madhya Pradesh government kick-started its ambitious ‘Deendayal Rasoi Yojana’ under which subsidized meals will be available at Rs 5 per plate
- The Agriculture Ministry and National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC), a wing of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is set to geo-tag agricultural assets.
- “Vidyalay Chale Chalaye in Abhiyaan 2017” inaugurated in Jharkhand for brushing up the hidden talent in children.
- The Survey of India, has set up a web portal called ‘Nakshe’ that allows 3,000 of its 7,000 maps to be downloaded free by using Aadhaar card.
- Atu Zumvu, who is a Sub-Divisional Police Officer with the Nagaland Police received the prestigious Shaurya Chakra award
- Centre releases Rs 23,443 crore for Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch a digital exhibition in the national capital to mark the 100th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi’s Champaran Satyagraha.
- NABARD sets to raise Rs.32000 crore this fiscal and likely to refinance PM Awas Yojana (PMAY) with target of building two crore houses by 2022.
- Ganesh Shankar Vidhyarthi Awardfor Hindi journalism will be awarded to Rahul Dev and Baldev Bhai Sharma.
- Parliament passed the “Human Immunodeficiency Virus” (HIV) and “Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome” (AIDS), Prevention and Control Bill, 2017.
- The Cabinet approves the setting up Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy (IIPE) at Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradeshat a cost of over Rs 655 crore.
- The Girdhar Malviya Committee, formed to prepare draft Ganga Act, submitted its report to the Union Minister Uma Bharti.
- Narendra Modi has emerged as the most followed world leader on Instagram with a whopping 9 million followers, surpassing Donald Trump.
- Gambia’s new President Adama Barrow won a majority of seats in Parliament against Yahya Jammeh.
- Deputy Prime Minister of Nepal, Bimalendra Nidhi, who is also in charge of the nation’s Home Affairs, resigns from the Cabinet.
- U.S. President Donald Trump and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping announced a 100-day plan to improve strained trade ties.
- Narendra Modi and Sheikh Hasina signed the 22 pacts.A $500 million credited to Bangladesh for military supplies.
- India has signed a joint declaration with Russia to promote innovation and the R&D ecosystem between the two countries in Global R&D Summit 2017 held in
- The 12th “iteration of Indo-Mongolian Joint Military Exercise Nomadic Elephantis presently under way at Vairengte from 05 April 2017 till 18 April 2017.”
- India as both countries signed six agreements, including one on countering terrorism. Australia agrees to supply uranium to India.
- Hasina invites promises SEZs to India and to invest in the country’s infrastructure sector that requires investments of about $20 billion a year till 2030.
- Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai is set to become the UN’s youngest-ever Messenger of Peace.
- India and Georgia are exploring the option of free trade agreement to promote bilateral economic ties.
BANKING & BUSINESS
- South Indian Bank has entered into an agreement with Fly world Money Exchange for facilitating remittances of Indian expatriates in Australia.
- Muthoot Finance, a gold loan company will raise 2000 crore through public issue of non-convertible redeemable debentures
- The government strengthens Public Health Centres, around one lakh sub centres will be transformed into wellness centres.
- Indian Oil Corporation will construct a 498 km Kochi-Salem LPG pipeline to meet the demand for the gas that is growing at 11% annually.
- The country’s most incredible online payment “Aadhar Payment System” set to be launched on April 14th.
- Paytm Mall, is rolling out a new feature to place online orders at physical stores using QR Code.
- Central Bank of India customer wins Rs 1 crore under government scheme to promote digital payments
- Samsung R&D Institute India filed the maximum number of patent applications in the IT sector in 2015-16, followed by TCS and Wipro
- Reliance Power and Bangladesh Power Development Board (BPDB) agreed for 750 MW LNG power project at Meghnaghat, near Dhaka in Bangladesh.
- Mahindra Electric expects announced a partnership with Zoomcar, a self-driven car-rental firm, to promote shared mobility of electric cars in India.
- Vedantawill have a larger proforma market capital of $15.6 billion after Cairn India oil producer, world-class, low-cost assets in metals and mining and oil and gas.
- NTPC’s joint venture BIFPCL has tied to set up 1,320 MW Maitree Super Thermal Power Project in
- Federal Bank has crossed $200 million in total business at its International Financial Service Centre (IFSC) banking unit in Gift city, Gujarat.
- Gold loan firm Manappuram Finance in tie-up with Yes Bank will launches its own co-branded prepaid card on April 15.
- World Bank Approves $375-Mn Loan For India’s First Waterway Project on a 1,360-km stretchof the Ganga River between Varanasi and Haldia.
- Mukta Dutta Tomar, has been appointed India’s next ambassador to Germany.The appointment of Tomar, who will succeed Gurjit Singh
- The Republican-led Senate U.S. President Donald Trump’sSupreme Court nominee, Justice Neil Gorsuch wins.
- Saraswat Bank has appointed Smita Sandhane as its Managing Director. She replaces S.K. Banerji
- Malik Feroze Khan, assumed charge as the State Election Commissioner (SEC) of Tamil Nadu.
- The National javelin coach Garry Calvert championships resigned.
- Neil M. Gorsuch was sworn as the 113th justice of the Supreme Court of U.S.
- The central government appointed two more managing directors to LIC, B.Venugopal and Sunita Sharma.
- Mahabaleshwara Mavinakudige Subrahmanya is the new chief of Karnataka Bank Ltd. He succeeds Polali Jayarama Bhat.
- UN chief Antonio Guterreshas named Achim Steiner, as the new administrator of the UN Development Programme (UNDP).
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
- “Flaming Tresses of Draupadi” written by senior Congress leader M Veerappa Moily was released by President Pranab Mukherjee.
- Narendra Modi and Sheikh Hasina released the Hindi translation of “Unfinished Memoirs”,the autobiography of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
- PM Narendra Modi releases a book Matoshree, penned byLS Speaker Sumitra Mahajan, in Delhi.
- Kavya Sawhney won the girls’ U-18 title in the AITA Championship series in Chandigarh.
- A 10-member Indian team led by National champions will participate in the Asian Table Tennis championships to be held in China.
- Rohan Bopanna and N. Sriram Balaji of India were selected in World Group Play-off.
- Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton wins the Chinese Grand Prix and defeated Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel for second.
- Pakistan team will participate in the upcoming squash meet of the 19thAsian individual Squash Championship in Chennai.
- Odisha’s Sudarsan Pattnaik has been selected to represent India in the 10th Moscow Sand Art Championship 2017. With a theme “The World Around us”.
- Ajay Malik and Sandeepti Singh Rao will head Wimbledon Masters under-14 tennis tournament of the Gymkhana Club.
- India won four gold, five silver and three bronze to finish on top of the medal tally at the Asian youth chess championship.
- Harbhajan Singh was named one of the eight ambassadors for the ICC Champions Trophy scheduled in England from June 1 to 18.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
- Researchers from IISC, Bengaluru experimentally produced graphene, a new type of electrical conductor
- April 10 – World Homeopathy Day. Theme of the event: “Quality Research in Homeopathy through Scientific evidence and rich clinical experience”.
- April 11 – National Safe Motherhood Day. Quality, Equity and Dignity for Improved Maternal Health is main motto of the year 2017.
- April 12 – International Day of Human Space Flight. Its aims to promote aspirations to explore and maintain outer space for peaceful purposes.
- Ganapathi Sthapathi, the architect of 133-foot Thiruvalluvar statue Kanyakumari and ,Valluvar Kottamin Chennai passed away