DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : April 21 & 22, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (April 21 & 22, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Creativity and Innovation Day: 21 April
- United Nation designated 21 April as World Creativity and Innovation Day to raise the awareness of the role of creativity & innovation in all aspects of human development. Acc. to UNESCO, Cultural & creative industries should be part of economic growth strategies.
- World Creativity & Innovation Week, April 15-21.
National Secretarys day is observed on 21 April:
- National Secretary’s day or Administrative Professionals Day is observed on 21 April in India. The day aims to celebrate the administrative professionals who work as the glue in keeping a business together. The Secretary’s week is observed on the last full week in April of each year.
Nirmala Sitharaman attends the 5th Annual Meeting of Board of Governors of NDB
- Union Minister of Finance & Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman attended the 5th Annual Meeting of Board of Governors of New Development Bank through video-conference in New Delhi.
- The NDB was established by the BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India,China and South Africa) in 2014.
New Development Bank:
- Headquarters location: Shanghai, China.
- President: K. V. Kamath
- Founded: 15 July 2014
Kerala’s Pathanamthitta launches Tiranga vehicle for rapid screening of symptoms:
- The vehicle, called Tiranga – Total India Remote Analysis Nirogya Abhiyaan is painted amid the tricolour on the vehicle so that people would immediately recognise it as an initiative of the government and leave the health workers alone.
- This is the newly-launched Tiranga initiative, by the Pathanamthitta district administration, to make it easier to screen people for COVID-19, without the risk of exposure.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
Union HRD Minister chairs the review meeting on SWAYAM and SWAYAM Prabha in New Delhi:
- Union Minister for HRD, Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ held a detailed review of the National online education platform SWAYAM and the 32 DTH Television Education Channels SWAYAM PRABHA in New Delhi.1902 courses are available currently in SWAYAM(Study Webs of Active–Learning for Young Aspiring Minds).
Government of India released Rs.17,793 crore Under PM-KISAN Scheme farmer families during lockdown:
- The Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare of Government of India has taken several measures to facilitate the farmers and farming activities at field level during the nationwide lockdown due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) Scheme, over 8.89 crore farmer families have been benefitted.
Road Ministry launched dashboard containing list of Dhabas and Truck Repair Shops on its website:
- Ministry of Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari has created a dashboard link for providing list & details of Dhabas & Truck repair shops available across the country by various organisations like NHAI, States,Oil Marketing companies.
- NHAI’s centralized call number 1033 has also been enabled.
Dharmendra Pradhan holds meeting of National Biofuel Coordination Committee:
- Union Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan held a meeting of National Biofuel Coordination Committee. At the meeting, he discussed ways in which biofuel industry can help the country in stepping-up its fight against COVID-19.
- National Biofuel Coordination Committee,set up in the year 2009.
Karnataka government launches GetCETGo for NEET, CET students:
- Karnataka government has launched an online crash course programme ‘GetCETGo’ to help students from the state to prepare for Common Entrance Test & National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET).Android application ,developed by Sinchu Infotech & Deeksha Online.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
Arunachal Pradesh CM inaugurates Hangpan Dada Bridge online:
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu inaugurated the revamped strategic bridge over River Subansiri at Daporijo in Upper Subansiri district.
- This bridge is the only line of communication to Daporijo and other villages located on the other side of Subansiri River.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park ,Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
Banking and Economy
RBI raises WMA limit to ₹2-lakh crore in H1 FY21:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI), in consultation with the Government of India, has revised the limit for Ways and Means Advances (WMA) for the remaining part of the first half of FY21 (April 2020 to September 2020) to ₹2-lakh crore.
- Ways and Means Advances scheme was introduced in 1997.
ICICI Bank Launched Voice banking services on Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant:
- ICICI bank has launched voice assistance-based banking services on its integrated artificial intelligence (AI) powered multi-channel chatbot iPal with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant for its retail banking customers by which they can access a wide range of banking services like check balance, seek credit card details & ask queries through voice commands.
ICICI (Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India):
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD and CEO: Sandeep Bakhshi
- Tagline: Hum Hai Na, Khyal Apka.
Singapore Government increases stake in Bandhan Bank to 4.49pc:
- Singapore’s Sovereign Wealth Fund GIC increased its stake in NBFC Bandhan Bank by 1.1%.GIC, through its affiliate entity Caladium Investment PTE Ltd., earlier held 3.39% stake in the bank.
- Headquarters: Kolkata.
- CEO: Chandra Shekhar Ghosh.
- Tagline: “Aapka Bhala, Sabki Bhalai”.
- Capital: Singapore City
- Currency: Singapore Dollar
- President: Halimah Yacob
- Prime Minister: Lee Hsien Loong
RBI announces calendar of MPC meetings for current financial year:
- RBI has announced the calendar of the meetings of the MPC for the current financial year. Decision of the 1st meet will be announced on June 5, 2020, other meetings will take place on August 4 -6; September 29-30 & October 1; December 2-4; & Feb 3-5, 2021.
Finance Ministry sanctions Rs 46,038 crore as states share in taxes for April:
- The finance ministry sanctioned the release of Rs 46,038.10 crore to states as their share of central taxes and duties for April. The first instalment of tax devolution was made as per the recommendations of the 15th Finance Commission (FC).
- Uttar Pradesh received the highest amount at Rs 8,255.19 crore.
Science and Technology
Bangalore-based JNCASR develops predictive model for spread of covid-19:
- Bengaluru-based Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research(JNCASR) along with collaborator from IISc, Bangalore have developed a heuristic predictive model for covid-19 that provides short-term predictions about the evolution of the disease.
- The model focuses on the ‘Achilles’ heel’ of covid-19 response.
Pune-based ARI develops ‘sensor-based bug sniffer’:
- Pune-based (ARI), an autonomous institute under the Department of Science and Technology (DST) has developed a low-cost sensor device to rapidly detect bacteria. The portable device can detect as low as 10 bacteria cells from a sample size of one milliliter in just 30 minutes.
Kapil Dev Tripathi appointed Secretary to President Ram Nath Kovind:
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by PM Modi has appointed Kapil Dev Tripathi as Secretary to President Ram Nath Kovind. He was heading the Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB) that does top-level recruitments in the CPSEs.
RBI gives nod to Kamakodi’s reappointment as MD & CEO of City Union Bank:
- Private sector lender City Union Bank reappointed N Kamakodi as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Bank. The appointment was approved by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 20 April.
- Kamakodi’s reappointment is for a further period of three years with effect. The reappointment will be effective from 1 May 2020. He was elevated as MD and CEO in 2011.
City Union Bank:
- Founded on: 31 October 1904
- Headquarters: Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu
- Chairman: R. Mohan
- MD & CEO: Dr. N. Kamakodi
US President Trump appoints Indian-American Sudarsanam Babu to country’s top science board:
- US President Donald Trump appointed Indian-American Sudarsanam Babu to country’s top science board.He would be the third Indian American in this prestigious board. The other two being Sethuraman Panchanathan and Suresh V Garimella.
Former captain Smith appointed South Africa’s director of cricket:
- Former captain Graeme Smith has been appointed director of cricket on a permanent basis by Cricket South Africa (CSA).Smith has signed a two-year deal with CSA and is set to remain in the position until April 2022.
- Graeme Smith is the only player to captain a team in 100 Test matches.
Books and Authors
Sudha Murty Launched her first-ever audio book “How the Onion Got Its Layers”:
- A book titled “How the Onion Got Its Layers” authored by Sudha Murty was published by Puffin. The book is being released in its e-book and audio form for young children.
- “How the Onion Got Its Layers” marks the first ever audio book by Murty and will be released on World Book Day, ie, April 23, 2020.
- This is the second book of the Chapter series by Murty, the first being “How the Sea Became Salty”.
Renowned Litterateur Ratnakar Chaini Passed Away:
- An Odia writer & academician Ratnakar Chaini passed away. He was born at Salepur in Cuttack in 1945.
- He was an Odia lecturer at Ravenshaw, former president of Sanskar Bharti and Utkal Sahitya Samaj & was felicitated with Sahitya Bharati Samman for the year 2016.
International Mother Earth Day- 22 April:
- April 22nd, 2020, marks the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, the annual celebration of the environmental movement.
- This Mother Earth Day, coinciding with the Super Year of Biodiversity, is focused in its role as an indicator of the Earth’s health.
- The theme for Earth Day 2020 is “climate action”.
Madhya pradesh govt launches ‘Chief Minister COVID-19 Yoddha Kalyan Yojana’ to benefit Anganwadi workers & Assistants:
- The state Government of Madhya Pradesh has launched the ‘Chief Minister COVID-19 Yoddha Kalyan Yojana’ to benefit the Anganwadi workers and Assistants of the state. Under the scheme, the state government will provide a special health insurance cover of Rs 50 lakhs.
- The benefit of this scheme will be given to the warriors under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY), which was launched by the central Government.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
Rajasthan government partners with ‘Aayu’ to tackle COVID-19:
- The Government of Rajasthan partnered with healthcare app ‘Aayu’ to provide accessibility to quality healthcare and to deliver the medicine to the people in the rural and urban India during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The application and the helpline number-7816811111 to provide services to the people in both English and Hindi language.
- Chief Minister:Ashok Gehlot
- Governor:Kalraj Mishra
- Karnataka CM launched ‘Homeline’ an app to home-deliver groceries and vegetables, to cover Bengaluru Urban district and help keep people indoors during the lockdown. Over 3000 delivery partners will now be available for deliveries for a fee of ₹10.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
Tech Mahindra and IBM tie up to set up innovation centres:
- Tech Mahindra has decided to set up innovation centres in collaboration with IBM. It is meant to boost digital transformation and encourage adoption of more cloud-based technologies among its global customers.
- Headquarters: Pune.
Dr Harsh Vardhan launches ‘COVID India Seva’, an interactive platform for citizen engagement on COVID-19:
- Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare, launched the “COVID India Seva” the initiative is aimed at enabling transparent e-governance delivery in real-time & answering citizen queries swiftly, at scale, especially in crisis situations like COVID 19.
“Saiyam” Mobile application launched by Pune Municipal Corporation:
- Pune Municipal Corporation launched “Saiyam” mobile application. The application has been developed to monitor home quarantine citizens.
- The Pune Municipal Corporation has appointed teams in five different zones. These teams will conduct follow-ups with the home quarantined people on daily basis.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Third Phase of Gujarat’s “Sujalam Sufalam Jal Sanchay Abhiyan” begins:
- Gujarat Government began the third phase of Sujalam Sufalam Jal Sanchay Abhiyan amidst lock down. The scheme is to continue till June 10.
- Under the third phase of the scheme, the Gujarat Government has planned to deepen lakes, rivers, check dams before monsoon. It will also remove silts with participation of people under MNREGA.
- Chief Minister:Vijay Rupani
- Governor:Acharya Devvrat
India ranks 142nd on global press freedom index: Norway Tops:
- Global Press freedom Index was launched. India ranked 142nd in the index and had dropped two places.
- The World Press Freedom Index says that with no murder of journalists in India in 2019 as compared to 2018, the security situation in the country has improved. According to the index, there were 6 murders of journalists in the country in 2018.
- Norway is ranked first in the Index for the fourth year running.
Banking and Technology
Reserve Bank cancels license of Goa’s oldest Mapusa urban co-operative bank:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has canceled the license granted to the Mapusa Urban Co-operative Bank of Goa Ltd.
- Goa to conduct banking business which includes acceptance of deposits and repayment of deposits as defined in Section 5 (b) read with Section 56 of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
Science and Technology
NPPA develops IT platform to monitor sale of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin:
- National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA),has developed an IT platform to monitor the availability of HCQ and azithromycin tablets at all distribution channel C&F agents or depot, distributors, wholesalers and retailers.
National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority:
- chairperson :Shubhra Singh.
- Founded :29 August 1997.
Appointments and Resignations
Infosys appoints Uri Levine as an Independent Director:
- Infosys a global leader in next-generation digital services and consulting announced the appointment of Uri Levine as an Independent Director of the Company.The appointment is for a period of three years and is subject to the approval of shareholders.
SAP co-CEO Jennifer Morgan steps down just after 6 months on the job:
- SAP SE Co-Chief Executive Officer Jennifer Morgan, appointed in October to the top executive post alongside Christian Klein, will abruptly leave the German software company at the end of April. Klein, 39, will remain in the CEO role.
- Klein has been a member of SAP’s executive board since 2018.
BMW India CEO Rudratej Singh passes away:
- Rudratej Singh, the President and CEO of BMW (Bayerische Motoren Werke AG) Group India, passed away. He was 46. His demise comes at a crucial junction when BMW Group India was in midst of implementing strategic measures for strengthening the dealer network across India.
Former Fiji Prime Minister Laisenia Qarase passed away at 79:
- The founder of the Soqosoqo Duavata Ni Lewenivanua Party & former Fiji Prime Minister (2000-2006) Laisenia Qarase passed away at 79 in Oceania Hospital, Suva due to an illness. He hails from Mavana, Vanuabalavu, Lau.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.