Daily Current Affairs: April 24 & 25, 2022
Daily Current Affairs (April 24 & 25, 2022) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
National Panchayati Raj Day – 24 April
- National Panchayati Raj Day is observed on 24 April every year to commemorate the day on which the political power was decentralised to grassroot levels in India.
- The National Panchayati Raj Day (NPRD) is being celebrated since 2010.
- This is the day when the 73rd Constitutional Amendment was passed in 1993 which paved the way for the Panchayati Raj system to be implemented.
International Day of Multilateralism and Diplomacy for Peace – 25 April
- The International Day of Multilateralism and Diplomacy for Peace is observed on 24 April every year. This day acknowledges the use of multilateral decision-making and diplomacy in achieving peaceful resolutions to conflicts among nations.
- This day was established on 12 December 2018 through resolution A/RES/73/127 and was first observed on 24 April 2019.
Maharashtra inaugurates India’s first bus service with a fully digital ticketing facility
- Maharashtra’s Tourism Minister Aditya Thackeray has inaugurated India’s first bus service with ‘Tap In, Tap Out’ or the fully digital ticketing facility.
- Under this ‘Tap In, Tap Out’ service, a passenger will have to ‘Tap In’ his Chalo smartcard or the Chalo mobile app in front of the machine installed at the entrance.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- National Parks: Chandoli National Park, Gugamal National Park, Nawegaon National Park, Jawaharlal Nehru (Pench) National Park, Sanjay Gandhi (Borivilli) National Park, Tadoba National Park
India’s first global Ayush investment and innovation summit 2022 was held in Gujarat
- India’s first-ever global Ayush investment and innovation summit 2022 was held in Gujarat.
- The first-ever mega event of this scale in the Ayush sector facilitated agreements with international and national institutions and various other sectors, fuelling financial considerations, mutual research and increasing Ayush reach globally.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Bhupendrabhai Patel
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- National Parks: Blackbuck National Park, Vansda National Park, Gir Forest National Park, Marine (Gulf of Kachchh) National Park
Manipur to celebrate Khongjom Day at Khongjom War Memorial Complex
- Manipur celebrates Khongjom Day at Khongjom War Memorial Complex at Khebaching of Thoubal district.
- Khongjom Day is celebrated on 23 April every year to remember Manipuri warriors, who made supreme sacrifice fighting against the British to protect the freedom of Manipur in the battle of Khongjom during 1891 Anglo-Manipuri War.
- Capital: Imphal
- Chief Minister: Biren Singh
- Governor: Ganesan
SIDBI approves ₹ 600 crores for industrial cluster development in Maharashtra
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has provided the approval for ₹ 600 crores to the Maharashtra government under the SIDBI Cluster Development Fund to meet the growing demand for skilled labour.
- SIDBI (Small Industries Development Bank of India) is the principal financial institution engaged in the promotion, financing and development of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in India.
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI)
- Headquarters: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Chairman and Managing Director (CMD): S. Ramann
India and Maldives jointly unveil navigation chart
- India and Maldives have jointly unveiled a navigation chart to increase maritime cooperation. Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Hari Kumar is on a three-day visit to the Maldives to boost India’s defence ties with the Maldives.
- This is the first such navigation chart produced by both countries. It was unveiled during India’s Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS) Admiral R. Hari Kumar’s visit to the Maldives.
- Capital: Male
- Currency: Maldivian Rufiyaa
- President: Ibrahim Mohamed Solih
José Ramos-Horta was elected as the President of Timor-Leste
- The Nobel prize winner José Ramos-Horta was elected as the President of Timor-Leste. He secured 62.09% votes against incumbent Francisco Guterres 37.91%.
- He served as the President of South-East Asia’s youngest country Timor-Leste from 2007 to 2012.
India’s participation as Guest of honour at the Paris Book Festival 2022
- India is designated as the Guest of Honour Country at the Paris Book Festival 2022 was organised under the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and France President Emmanuel Macron Joint Statement released in 2018 during the French President’s visit to New Delhi.
- The India Pavilion was designed by the National Institute of Design (NID), houses more than 15 digital and physical exhibitions displaying over 400 books published in various Indian languages representing the works of 65 Indian publishers.
Agreements and MoUs Signed
Indian Navy signs MoU with IIM Kozhikode to exchange best practices
- The Indian Navy’s Naval Institute of Educational and Training Technology (NIETT) based at Naval Base Kochi has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the IIM Kozhikode to exchange best practices.
- This MoU is intended to build collaboration and exchange of best practices in the field of Instructional Leadership, Educational Psychology and Management.
Justice Vineet Saran was appointed as the Chairman of the Ravi-Beas Water Tribunal
- Justice Vineet Saran was appointed as the Chairman of the Ravi-Beas Water Tribunal. He succeeded Justice Ashok Bhushan. He joined as the Chairperson of the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT) in November 2021.
- The Ravi-Beas Water Tribunal is important in view of the issue of water availability and allocation discussed at various levels as part of concerted efforts to reach an amicable resolution for the Sutlej-Yamuna Link (SYL) canal issue between Punjab and Haryana.
Capgemini CEO Ashwin Yardi was appointed UNICEF’s YuWaah board co-chair
- YuWaah (Generation Unlimited India) in India has announced that Capgemini CEO Ashwin Yardi to be the co-chair of YuWaah.
- Yardi will be a co-chair along with Yasumasa Kimura, the UNICEF Representative.
Awards and Recognitions
Raghav Chadha, Radhika Gupta and Mykhailo Fedorov were named among the World Economic Forum (WEF)’s Young Global Leaders (YGLs) list
- Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha), Raghav Chadha, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Edelweiss Mutual Fund, Radhika Gupta and Ukrainian Vice Prime Minister and Minister of Digital Transformation Mykhailo Fedorov are among the World Economic Forum (WEF)’s Young Global Leaders (YGLs) Class of 2022.
- The 2022 Class of Young Global Leaders (YGLs) include researchers, innovative entrepreneurs, activists and promising political leaders between the ages of 30 and 40.
Former Chief Minister of Meghalaya J. D. Rymbai passed away at 83
- Former Chief Minister of Meghalaya D. Rymbai passed away at the age of 83. He was elected as the speaker of the Meghalaya Assembly in 1993.
- He replaced D. Lapang as the Chief Minister of Meghalaya in 2006 for a year.
Former Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki passed away at 90
- Former President of Kenya Mwai Kibaki passed away at the age of 90.
- He served two terms as President of Kenya from 2002 to 2013.
Ravi Dahiya wins the gold medal in the Asian Wrestling Championships 2022
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya (57 kg) won his third successive gold medal in the Asian Wrestling Championships. He became the first-ever Indian freestyle wrestler to win a hat-trick of Asian Championship gold medals.
- Bajrang Punia won the silver medal in the 65 Kg category. Gourav Baliyan (79 kg) also bagged silver while Naveen (70 kg) and Satywart Kadian (97 kg) took home bronze.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of April 24 & 25, 2022, now from the link given below.