DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 18, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 18 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
PM Modi to inaugurate First World Solar Technology Summit to be held on Sept 8:
- The First World Solar Technology Summit will be organized by International Solar Alliance on 8th of September virtually. Nobel Laureate Dr M. Stanley Whittingham will present the Key-note Address during the inaugural ceremony.
Andhra Pradesh teams up with NPCI and Canara Bank for digital payments in Rural Areas:
- Andhra Pradesh government has announced teaming up with the National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) and Canara Bank to empower over 15,000 village and ward secretariats with digital payments in the rural areas.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park ,Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
Chhattisgarh CM announces fund for contribution towards Ram Van Gaman project:
- Chhattisgarh will create a dedicated fund for contributions from people towards the development of the state government’s ambitious ‘Ram Van Gaman Tourist Circuit’ Nine sites have been selected in the first phase of the project.
Chhattisgarh Government Launched ‘Padhai Tuhar Para’ scheme for school students:
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel announced the launch of a special scheme “Padhai Tuhar Para” under which school students will be able to learn in their respective localities in view of the suspension of classes due to the Coronavirus outbreak.
- Capital: Raipur
- Chief Minister: Bhupesh Baghel
- Governor: AnusuiyaUikey
Ministry of Tribal Affairs launches Tribal Health & Nutrition Portal ‘Swasthya’:
- Tribal Affairs Minister Arjun Munda launched e-portal on tribal health & nutrition, “Swasthya”. It provides all health-related information of the tribal population on a single platform.
- The ministry partnered with Facebook for Going Online As Leaders (GOAL) An e-newsletter on health and nutrition “ALEKH” was also launched.
Gwalior-Chambal Expressway to be named after Atal Bihari Vajpayee:
- Gwalior to Chambal Expressway is to be named as Atal Bihari Vajpayee Chambal. The announcement was made by Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan while paying tribute to the former Prime Minister on his second death anniversary.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
Banking and Economy
Multi Commodity Exchange of India to launch India’s first bullion index, Bulldex:
- Multi Commodity Exchange of India (MCX) will launch India’s first bullion index named Bulldex. The Bulldex will have a market lot size of 50 and gold and silver will be underlying. It will be a cash-settled futures contract.
Acquisitions and Mergers
Google partners Central Water Commission for flood forecasting initiative:
- Google in association with Central Water Commission, functioning as an attached office under Ministry of Jal Shakti, took Flood Forecasting initiative over the past several months & sent numerous public alerts to people in impacted regions across India.
Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode inks pact with Swiss firm:
- Against the backdrop of emerging challenges post-COVID-19, Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode and Switzerland-based HELP Logistics inked an MoU to engage in a partnership & provide consulting services & logistics training for humanitarian community.
IPS officer Rakesh Asthana takes charge as the 27th Director-General of Border Security Force:
- Rakesh Asthana is appointed as the Director-General of Border Security Force, BSF. He is presently working as the Director-General of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security, BCAS. He will continue to hold the additional charge of DG, Narcotics Control Bureau.
Central bank of India appoints Ashwini Kumar Shukla as Chief Risk Officer:
- Central bank of India has appointed Ashwini Kumar Shukla as Chief Risk Officer. As part of reform agenda announced by Ministry of Finance last year August 2019, the Central bank of India is first one to appoint a CRO from market.
Satya Pal Malik appointed as Meghalaya Governor:
- Satya Pal Malik has been transferred as the Governor of Meghalaya, replacing Tathagata Roy who completed his five-year tenure on the post in the northeastern state, from Goa. Bhagat Singh Koshyari who is a Governor of Maharashtra state has been provided additional charge of Goa.
Melange by Lifestyle announces Deepika Padukone as Brand Ambassador:
- Lifestyle International Pvt Ltd appointed Deepika Padukone as brand ambassador of Melange. Part of Dubai based retail and hospitality conglomerate, The Landmark Group, Lifestyle retails apparel, footwear, handbags, fashion accessories and beauty products.
Awards and Recognitions
WHO Chief Scientist Soumya Swaminathan honoured with TN CM’s special award:
- Chief Scientist of World Health Organization Soumya Swaminathan was conferred with the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister’s special award, in recognition of her advisory role in combating the COVID-19 pandemic in the state.
Manchester City midfielder De Bruyne wins Premier League Player of the Season 2019-20:
- Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne has been named as the Premier League Player of the Season 2019-20.
- He is the only third Belgian footballer to win the award for the league’s top performer, after Eden Hazard (2014-15) and Vincent Kompany (2011-12). He scored 20 goals in the 2019-20 seasons.
Other awards included:
- Young Player of the Season – Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)
- Manager of the Season – Juergen Klopp (Liverpool)
- Goal of the Season – Son Heung-min (Tottenham Hotspur)
- Premier League 2 (PL2) Player of the Season – Curtis Jones (Liverpool)
Telangana CM honours poet Tirunagari Ramanujam with Dasaradhi Award for 2020:
- Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao honoured well-known poet Tirunagari Ramanujam with the Dasaradhi Award for 2020. Among his well-known works include Bala Veera Sathakam, Aksharadhara, and Tirunagareeyam.
Books and Authors
Former Vice Marshal Arjun Subramaniam pens book titled “Full Spectrum: India”s Wars, 1972-2020″:
- Retired Air Vice Marshal Arjun Subramaniam has written a book which throws light on comprehensive account of war and conﬂict in contemporary India over the past ﬁve decades next month.
- The book titled “Full Spectrum: India”s Wars, 1972-2020″ is a sequel to his previous book “India”s Wars: A Military History, 1947-1971″. It has been published by HarperCollins India and will be released in September 2020.
A Book titled ‘The Greatest Secret’ author Rhonda Byrne’s ‘Greatest Secret’ out in November:
- Rhonda Byrne’s “The Greatest Secret” is coming out Nov. 24. “The Greatest Secret” takes readers on a journey that provides the most direct way out for those experiencing hardship and the path to end pain and suffering endured by so many.
- Byrne’s new book, like “The Secret,” will be released through publisher Judith Curr.
Filmmaker and actor Nishikant Kamat dies at 50:
- Nishikant Kamat was best-known for directing the Hindi remake of Malayalam hit Drishyam. He also directed Irrfan Khan in Madaariand Mumbai Meri Jaan, and John Abraham in Force and Rocky Handsome. He also acted in Rocky Handsome and some other films.
Legendary Indian classical vocalist Pandit Jasraj passes away:
- Legendary Indian classical vocalist Pandit Jasraj passed away. His music career spanned over 8 decades. He was honoured with Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan, Padma Vibhushan & Sangeet Natak Academy Award. He also lent vocals to Oscar-winning movie, Life of Pie.
AIFF and SAI join hands to launch E-Pathshala:
- All-India Football Federation and Sports Authority of India joined hands to launch E-Pathshala, a web platform to recognize the creativity and develop interest in football. It will act to develop interest in football through painting, building blocks, etc.
Asian Boxing Championships in India Postponed to 2021 Due to Coronavirus Pandemic:
- Asian Boxing Championships, which was to be held in India in November-December, has been postponed to 2021 owing to the disruption caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the national federation’s Secretary General Jay Kowli.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.