DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 28, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 28 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Andhra Pradesh sets up entity to finance social economic development projects:
- Andhra Pradesh government established the Andhra Pradesh State Development Corporation (APSDC), a new avenue to borrow more money and channelize donations from different sources. The new entity will be a 100 percent state-owned Public Limited Company.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park ,Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
Defence minister launches app for online training of National Cadet Corps cadets
- The mobile app, called “DGNCC”, aims at providing NCC cadets all training materials, including syllabus, training videos, and frequently asked questions, on one platform. The NCC imparts values of unity, discipline, service to the nation.
Union Minister of State Som Parkash addresses 5th virtual BRICS Industry Minister’s Meeting:
- The Industry Ministers of BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) countries held a meeting through video mode on 24 August 2020 to discuss ways to boost cooperation in areas including 5G and Artificial Intelligence.
- From India, the Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry, Shri Som Parkash, participated in the 5th edition of the Industry Ministers’ meeting.
Delhi government launches fitness channel on YouTube for students stuck at home:
- Delhi government launched ‘Healthy Body, Healthy Mind’ campaign for students confined to their homes as schools remain closed in view of Coronavirus pandemic. A video will be uploaded which the students can practice for the week.
- Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal
Union Minister Piyush Goyal launches National GIS-enabled Land Bank system:
- Union Minister for Commerce and Industry, Piyush Goyal e-launched the National GIS(Geographic Information System)-enabled Land Bank system (https://iis.ncog.gov.in/parks) for six states.
- The platform will provide a database of industrial areas/clusters across the country and will serve as a one-stop solution to the free and easy accessibility of all industrial information.
Ministry of Social Justice launches Mental Health Rehabilitation helpline ‘KIRAN’:
- Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has launched a 24×7 Mental Health Rehabilitation helpline number under the name ‘Kiran’ to assist people to cope with mental health issues, particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Banking and Economy
RBI announces special OMO worth of Rs 20,000 crore in 2 tranches:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced a simultaneous purchase and sale of Government Securities (G-Secs) under Open Market Operations (OMO) for an aggregate amount of Rs 20,000 crore in two equal tranches of Rs 10,000 crore on August 27, 2020 and September 03, 2020 on account of current and evolving liquidity and market conditions.
SBI integrates YONO Krishi with Government’s Online Seed Portal ICAR IIHR:
- YONO (You Only Need One) Krishi platform has integrated with government’s online seed portal Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR) & Indian Institute of Horticulture Research (IIHR) to serve the agricultural needs of the farmers, right from sowing till harvesting.
Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance launches ‘Smart Assist’, a real-time assistance service:
- Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance, one of India’s leading Indian private life insurers launched a first-of-its-kind revolutionary technology service in the insurance industry ‘Smart Assist’. The service will enable buyers to connect with the Company, through a secure screen sharing feature, to avail real-time assistance on completion of their buy journey, anywhere.
Acquisitions and Mergers
UTIITSL ties up with National Health Authority to provide print services for PMJAY e-cards:
- UTI Infrastructure Technology And Services Limited will be providing printing services & support the beneficiary identification and verification process in the issuance of e-cards to beneficiaries of AB PM-JAY scheme. It will also provide the services of printing of e-cards through its branches.
Ericsson and UNICEF in partnership to map school Internet connectivity in 35 countries:
- Swedish telecom company Ericsson and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) announced a global partnership Wednesday to help map school Internet connectivity in 35 countries by the end of 2023.
- Mapping the Internet connectivity landscape for schools and their surrounding communities is a critical first step toward providing every child with access to digital learning opportunities, said UNICEF in a press release.
Innoviti partners with Visa to develop installments platform for face-to-face transactions:
- Innoviti had entered a partnership with Visa, the leader in payments technology to develop a platform that will enable issuers to extend credit to their cardholders at Face-To-Face point-of-sale (In India).
- It provides shoppers the ability to choose how they pay during the purchase with the introduction of a suite of platform capabilities leveraging Innoviti’s uniPAY Next platform and Visa’s APIs.
IIT Alumni Council partners with Russia to build world’s largest & fastest hybrid quantum computer:
- With the objective to achieve the mission of Atma Nirbhar Bharat, the Indian Institute of Technology’s (IITs) Alumni Council has signed an agreement with Russian state-owned companies, Lomonosov Moscow State University and Russoft, to build the world’s largest and fastest hybrid quantum computer in India.
- Quantum Computing is several million times faster than the largest supercomputer in India, and once operational it will make existing supercomputers obsolete.
Appointments and Resignations
TikTok Chief Executive Officer Kevin Mayer resigns:
- TikTok Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Kevin Mayer has decided to give resignation from the post. he left the company within a period of three months. U.S. General Manager Vanessa Pappas is going to take place of Kevin Mayer as interim CEO.
Awards and Recognitions
29-year-old Marieke Lucas Rijneveld becomes youngest author to win International Booker Prize:
- Marieke Lucas Rijneveld’s “The Discomfort of Evening” a dark story about a devout farming family in a strict Christian community in the rural Netherlands, was announced as the winner. This year the judges considered 124 books, translated from 30 languages.
Renowned folk musician Archana Mahanta Passes Away:
- One of Assam’s legendary singers, Archana Mahanta, who was at home in both the traditional and modern genres and belonged to a committed generation of singers for whom singing was a “devotional” act, died.
Pioneering computer designer Arnold Spielberg passed away at 103:
- Arnold Spielberg helped design the GE-225 mainframe computer that enabled researchers at Dartmouth College to develop the coding tool known as BASIC, which ushered in the era of personal computers. He assisted his son in the making of Firelight.
Writer-journalist Gail Sheehy passes away at 83:
- Gail Sheehy, the journalist, commentator and pop sociologist whose best-selling Passages, has passed away. Sheehy’s honors included the National Magazine Award, the Anisfield-Wolf Book Award and a citation from the American Psychological Association.
Legendary tennis pair Bryan brothers announce retirement:
- Identical twins Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, now 42, are leaving the sport in the same way they had won tournament after tournament in a decade-spanning three decades- together. They finish their legendary careers with a 1,108-359 team win-loss record.
AIFC and Football Coaches Australia sign MoU for development of game in India:
- Association of Indian Football Coaches (AIFC) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Football Coaches Australia (FCA) to assist each other in development of football in the two countries.
- According to a statement issued by AIFC, the two bodies will look to encourage the involvement of more female coaches and increase access to football for all participants.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.