DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 29, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 29 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
National Sports Day 2020- 29 August:
- National Sports Day is celebrated on August 29 every year to honour the hockey legend, Major Dhyan Chand since 2012. Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju pay tribute to Major Dhyan Chand at Dhyan Chand Stadium in New Delhi.
International Day against Nuclear Tests- 29 August:
- 64th session of the UN General Assembly declared 29 August the International Day against Nuclear Tests to signify that effort should be made to end nuclear tests in order to avert devastating and harmful effects on the lives and health of people.
Centre to develop three Bamboo Clusters in Jammu, Katra and Samba areas of J&K:
- Minister of Development of North East-Region, Dr Jitendra Singh said that 3 Bamboo Clusters will be developed in Jammu, Katra & Samba areas for making of Bamboo basketry, Agarbatti & Bamboo Charcol that will provide direct employment to nearly 25000 people.
Jammu and Kashmir:
- Capital: Srinagar (summer), Jammu (winter)
- Governor: Manoj Sinha
Government Launches ‘Chunauti’ Contest To Identify And Support Startups From Small Towns:
- Government launched a contest to give a fillup to homegrown startups and software product companies with special focus on firms from small towns of the country.
- The government’s “Chunauti” – Next Generation Startup Challenge Contest, aims to identify 300 startups working in select areas which will be provided with a seed fund of up to Rs 25 lakh along with other necessary support to help them grow.
First marine ambulance boat ‘PRATHEEKSHA’ commissioned in Kerala:
- Kerala Chief Minister Shri Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated the first ever marine ambulance named ‘PRATHEEKSHA’. Pratheeksha is first in the series of 3 fully equipped marine ambulance boat built by Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL), for the Department of Fisheries, Govt. of Kerala.
- The other two other boats namely ‘Prathyasha’ and ‘Karunya’ were also launched on the same day.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath launches NRI unified portal:
- Uttar Pradesh Government under Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has launched an ambitious ‘NRI unified portal’ to provide assistance to overseas Indians and NRIs of the state during any emergency. The website can be assessed at up.gov.in.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan(Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden
Union Minister Piyush Goyal addresses ASEAN-India Business Council Meet:
- Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Shri Piyush Goyal addressed the ASEAN-India Business Council virtual meet. The business council meeting provided a forum to discuss concerns and best practices, share ideas, and flag the problems, so that together both the partners are able to succeed, secure future, work together, attain prosperity, and achieve a target of $300 billion trade.
- He emphasized 3 C’s Cooperation, Collaboration & Commitment as guide for the strategic partnership between India and ASEAN countries.
Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN):
- Headquarters: Jakarta, Indonesia
- Founded: 8 August 1967
- Secretary General of ASEAN: Lim Jock Hoi
- Chairman: Nguyen Xuan Phuc
Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) Completed Six Years of Successful Implementation:
- 6th anniversary of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna (PMJDY) was observed which was launched. On this occasion, Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs, Nirmala Sitharaman reiterated the importance of this biggest financial inclusion initiative in the world.
- The Slogan of PMJDY: “Mera Khata – Bhagya Vidhaata.”
NITI Aayog begins NDC- Transport Initiative for Asia(TIA):
- NITI Aayog has started off NDC (Nationally Determined Contributions) – Transport Initiative for Asia (TIA). the main purpose of it is to set up a multi-stakeholder dialogue and create a team. the team will provide their support on Greenhouse Gas emission reduction across the country.
India co-sponsors UN security council resolution on women peacekeepers:
- India has co-sponsored a Security Council resolution that calls for full, effective & meaningful participation of women personnel in peacekeeping operations which was put forth by Indonesia. India is one of the largest troop contributors to UN peacekeeping
- India is a non-permanent member of the UNSC for a two-year term.
14th India-Singapore Defence Policy Dialogue (DPD) held with focus on maritime security cooperation:
- The 14th India-Singapore Defence Policy Dialogue (DPD) was held virtually to further boost the defence and security partnership between the two countries, with a special focus on the maritime sphere.
- The meeting was co-chaired by Defence Secretary Dr Ajay Kumar and Permanent Secretary (Defence), Singapore Mr Chan Heng Kee.
- Capital: Singapore City
- Currency: Singapore Dollar
- President: Halimah Yacob
- Prime Minister: Lee Hsien Loong
- Deputy Prime Minister: Heng Swee Keat
Banking and Economy
RBI launches surveys on consumer confidence and inflation expectations:
- RBI is conducting the Consumer Confidence Survey and Inflation Expectations Survey of Households. CCS seeks “Qualitative Responses” from households, regarding their sentiments on general economic situation & IESH aims to capture assessment on inflation
Science and Technology
Bangladesh’s Beximco Pharmaceuticals Ltd & Serum Institute of India join hands for Covid-19 vaccine:
- The two entities have announced that BPL will be investing with SII, for the development of the Covid-19 vaccine less than 10 days after Foreign Secretary’s visit to Dhaka. The BPL will be the exclusive distributor of SII for this vaccine in Bangladesh.
Appointments and Resignations
Banks Board Bureau recommends Dinesh Khara as next SBI chairman:
- Banks Board Bureau recommended Dinesh Kumar Khara for the post of chairman of the State Bank of India (SBI). The board further said that Challa Sreenivasulu Setty will be in the reserve list for vacancy. Dinesh Kumar Khara and Challa Sreenivasulu Setty are both managing directors of SBI.
Japan’s longest-serving PM and a champion of economic reforms Shinzo Abe resigns for health reasons:
- Japanese PM Shinzo Abe has announced his resignation for health reasons. The 65-year-old has suffered for many years from ulcerative colitis. Last year, he became Japan’s longest serving prime minister. His current period in office began in 2012. His aggressive economic policy is known as “Abenomics”.
Veteran Athletics coach Purshottam Rai passed away at 79:
- Veteran athletics coach Purshottam Rai died due to a cardiac arrest in Bengaluru. He was to be conferred the prestigious Dronacharya Award in the lifetime category at the age of 79.
‘Black Panther’ star Chadwick Boseman passes away at 43:
- Chadwick Boseman, who played Black icons Jackie Robinson and James Brown before finding fame as Black Panther in the Marvel cinematic universe, died of cancer.
India plans to host BRICS Games during Khelo India Games in 2021:
- India will get the chairmanship of the five-nation independent international group in 2021. BRICS Games 2021 will be held during the same time and at the same venues as of Khelo India Games 2021 so that our players from various parts of the country who will gather for Khelo India Games will have the benefit of witnessing BRICS Games from close quarters.
Sri Lanka Cricketer Tharanga Paranavitana retires from International Cricket:
- Sri Lankan Opening batsman Nishad Tharanga Paranavitana announced retirement from all forms of International Cricket at the age of 38. He has represented Sri Lanka in 32 Test Matches scoring 1792 runs including two hundreds and 11 fifties.
- He is Sri Lanka’s highest ever run-getter in first-class cricket with 12, 522 runs.
Dwayne Bravo becomes first bowler to scalp 500 wickets in T20 cricket:
- West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo became the first bowler to reach the mark of 500 wickets in T20 cricket. The pacer achieved the feat in the ongoing Caribbean Premier League (CPL) match between Trinbago Knight Riders and St Lucia Zouks.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.