DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 8, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 8 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
CDSL gets UIDAI nod for e-KYC Aadhaar authentication:
- Central Depository Services Ltd has received clearance from UIDAI to carry out e-KYC authentication using Aadhaar & act as a local Authentication User Agency or e-KYC User Agency. Once registered as KUA, they can open accounts using Aadhaar-based e-KYC.
India’s first ‘Kisan Rail’ flagged off from Devlali Railway Station of Maharashtra:
- Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar flagged off the country’s first ‘Kisan Rail’ train from Deolali in Nashik to Danapur in Bihar, through video-conferencing.
- This is the 1st ever multi commodity train of Indian Railways that carries fruits like Pomegranate, Banana, Grapes etc and vegetables like Capsicum, Cauliflower etc.,
Exim Bank extends $250 million line of credit to Mozambique:
- Export-Import Bank of India has extended a $250-million (about ₹1,870 crore) line of credit to Mozambique for improving power supply quality in the country. Exim Bank till date has extended 14 LOCs to Mozambique, taking their total value to $772.44 million
- Capital: Maputo.
- Currency: Mozambican metical.
Banking and Economy:
South India Bank gets RBI nod for setting up non-financial subsidiary:
- Private sector lender South Indian Bank (SIB) said the RBI has given an in-principle approval for setting up a wholly owned non-financial subsidiary.
- SIB has been struggling to come out of its large bad loans trap, seems to be preparing the ground to set up subsidiaries or associate companies in order to try its hand at other areas including retail financing, insurance, reinsurance etc.
Acquisitions and Mergers
IIT Delhi and NHAI sign MoU to set up Centre of Excellence for Advance Data Management System for Highways:
- National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) and Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to set up a Centre of Excellence (CoE) on Advance Data Management System for Highways (ADMS Highways) in IIT Delhi.
- The MoU was signed in the presence of Sukhbir Singh Sandhu, Chairman NHAI and Director of IIT Delhi Dr V Ram Gopal Rao.
Life Insurance Corporation of India acquired 4.23% Stake of YES Bank:
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has acquired 23% Stake(105.98 crore shares) of YES Bank by purchasing from the open market. With this acquisition, the hold of LIC in YES Bank has increased from 0.75%(19 crore shares) to 4.98%(125 crore shares).
Simplilearn and NSDC Announce Collaboration to Upskill Professionals in Digital Skills:
- To support the continuity of digital skilling of the Indian workforce, Simplilearn, a global provider of digital skills training announced its partnership with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
- Through this collaboration, Simplilearn will host more than 1,000 hours of free learning in Digital Skills and technologies for learners across India.
Educationist Pradeep Kumar Joshi appointed UPSC Chairman:
- Educationist Pradeep Kumar Joshi was appointed the chairman of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), which conducts the civil services examination to select the country’s bureaucrats and diplomats. He served as Director of the National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration.
Owen Coyle appointed as head coach of Jamshedpur FC:
- Indian Super League side Jamshedpur FC has confirmed the appointment of Owen Coyle as their new head coach ahead of their 2020-’21 Coyle was in charge of Chennaiyin FC during the 2019-’20 ISL season.
Former J&K lieutenant governor G C Murmu appointed new CAG:
- Former Jammu and Kashmir lieutenant governor Girish Chandra Murmu has been appointed the new Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India. He succeeds Rajiv Mehrishi who completes his term on August 8,2020 as he attains the age of 65.
PNB Housing Finance appoints Former SBI Card Head Hardayal Prasad as New MD and CEO:
- PNB Housing Finance announced that Hardayal Prasad, the former SBI Card head who left the card issuer company last month, has been appointed as its new MD and CEO. Prasad will take over from Neeraj Vyas, the current interim CEO of PNB housing finance on 10th August 2020.
Mahinda Rajapaksa-led SLPP registers landslide victory in Sri Lanka’s parliamentary polls:
- Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa staged a political comeback as his party registered a landslide victory in the twice-postponed general elections, according to the final results released by the elections commission.
- The official results declared showed that the Sri Lanka People’s Party (SLPP) alone had won 145 seats and with its allies have 150 seats, a two thirds majority in the 225-member parliament.
Awards and Recognitions
UNESCO Recognizes two Odisha villages Venkatraipur & Noliasahi as ‘Tsunami Ready’:
- Odisha has become the first state in the country to get two of its coastal villages “Venkatraipur and Noliasahi” recognised as “Tsunami Ready” from the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation) after taking into accounts their overall preparedness to face the calamity.
Rockefeller Foundation picks Naandi Foundation for Food Vision 2050 prize:
- Rockefeller Foundation has selected Naandi Foundation, Hyderabad-based non-profit, as one of the ‘Top 10 Visionaries’ in the world for the Food Vision 2050 Prize, announced in New York. The recognition fetches Naandi a prize money of $200,000.
Books and Authors
Yatish Yadav’s new book ‘RAW: A History of India’s Covert Operations’:
- Journalist and author Yatish Yadav’s new book “RAW: A History of India’s Covert Operations” is a window into the heroic covert operations carried by India’s external spy agency Research and Analysis Wing (RAW).
Writer and activist Sadia Dehlvi Passes away at 63:
- Writer and activist Sadia Dehlvi died of cancer at the age of 63 at Delhi. She was born in 1957, came from the royal ‘Shama’ family, edited the Urudu women’s journal Bano.
Former West Bengal Transport Minister Shyamal Chakraborty passed away at 76:
- Former Communist Party of India – Marxist (CPM) and former West Bengal Transport Minister Shyamal Chakraborty passed away at the age 76 in Calcutta. He served as the three-time transport minister of West Bengal from 1982 to 1996.
Padma Shri awardee author Giriraj Kishore passes away at 82:
- Veteran writer and academician Giriraj Kishore passed away at his residence here following a prolonged illness. He was 82-years-old. A Padma Shri awardee, Giriraj had written ‘Pahla Girmitiya’.
India retains T20 World Cup in 2021; Australia to host in 2022:
- India has retained the rights to host the 2021 men’s T20 World Cup while Australia will host the 2022 ICC also postponed the 2021 women’s ODI World Cup which was scheduled in New Zealand. 2021 event will be hosted in India between October-November.
SAI launches Khelo India mobile app online training program for PE Teachers:
- Sports Authority of India (SAI) in association with Education Boards CISCE and CBSE will host an online program for training of Physical Education (PE) Teachers from CISCE Schools on “Khelo India Fitness Assessment of School Going Children”.
Sports Authority of India(SAI):
- Director General: Sandip Pradhan
- Executive Director: Anjan Kumar Mishra
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.