Daily Current Affairs: December 10, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (December 10, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Human Rights Day – December 10:
- World Human Rights Day is annually observed on December 10 across the world. It commemorates the day in 1948 on which the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR).
- Theme: “Recover Better – Stand Up for Human Rights”
Union Minister Kiren Rijiju launches the 2nd edition of ‘Fit India Cyclothon’:
- Union Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports (Independent Charge) Kiren Rijiju has launched the second edition of ‘Fit India Cyclothon’ via social media. The mega cycling event is to be held for 25 days in December 2020.
- The event will be held across the country in each district, and citizens can participate by registering on the Fit India website.
Mizoram government launches livelihood generation project for migrant workers:
- Mizoram Chief Minister Zoramthanga launched a Rs 3.3 crores project under the Mizoram Youth Commission (MYC) to assist migrant workers, who lost their jobs outside the state due to the ongoing pandemic.
- The project will have seven components to assist the migrant workers for livelihood generation. Entrepreneurship development programmes will be implemented in all 11 districts, and 550 candidates are targeted under this component.
- Capital: Aizawl
- Chief Minister: Zoramthanga
- Governor: P S Sreedharan Pillai.
Uttar Pradesh government signs MoU with IWAI to promote water tourism:
- Uttar Pradesh Tourism Department has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI), to promote and encourage the tourism industry by developing river tourism in the state.
- The MoU was signed in the presence of Chief Secretary of UP, Rajendra Kumar Tiwari regarding the operation of the PAX vessel in Varanasi.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan (Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden.
West Bengal government approves the construction of the state’s first deep seaport in Tajpur:
- Chief Minister of West Bengal, Mamata Banerjee announced that the state cabinet had approved the construction of a deep seaport in Tajpur, West Bengal. The port will be built at the cost of 15,000 crores and will generate employment for 25,000 people.
- The port will benefit the iron and steel industries functioning in and around Kharagpur for their export business. It will be the state’s first deep seaport.
- Capital: Kolkata
- Chief Minister: Mamata Banerjee
- Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar
- National Park (NP): Buxa NP, Gorumara NP, Neora Valley NP, Jaldapara NP, Singalila NP, Sundarbans NP.
Singapore replaces Switzerland to host the World Economic Forum in May 2021:
- World Economic Forum (WEF) has decided to host its 2021 annual meeting in Singapore, which was earlier scheduled to take place in Lucerne-Burgenstock, Switzerland.
- Singapore was chosen because it has a relatively low rate of COVID-19 cases and has recently started experimenting with modified versions of the large-scale conference.
- This would be the second time since its inception in 1971 that the forum will be held outside Switzerland.
- Capital: Singapore City
- Currency: Singapore Dollar
- President: Halimah Yacob
- Prime Minister: Lee Hsien Loong
- Deputy Prime Minister: Heng Swee Keat.
UNESCO launched the State of the Education Report 2020 for India: Vocational Education First:
- UNESCO virtually launched the ‘State of the Education Report for India 2020: Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET)’, in New Delhi with over 400 attendees, including representatives from the government, civil society, academia, partners, and youth.
- The report aims to support the Government of India which has already announced skills development as a key national priority under the Skill India Mission.
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO):
- Headquarters: Paris, France
- Head: Audrey Azoulay
- Founded: 16 November 1945.
Banking and Economy:
Nomura expects India to be the fastest-growing Asian economy in 2021 at 9.9%:
- Nomura has projected India to be the fastest-growing Asian economy in 2021. It has estimated the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth of India for the calendar year 2021 (CY21) to be at 9%.
- Nomura expects GDP growth at -7.1 percent for the calendar year 2020, -8.2 percent in FY21, and 11.9 per cent in FY22.
ICICI Bank to be the designated bank for all financial transactions under the National Health Mission in West Bengal:
- Private lender ICICI Bank has received the mandate to be the designated bank for all financial transactions below the National Health Mission (NHM) in West Bengal.
- This is on the lines of the West Bengal government’s decision of implementing a single bank account system for NHM. Under this, all financial transactions will be conducted through online software which is to be integrated with bank accounts.
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank launches neighbourhood banking channel ‘Money Mitra’:
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank has introduced a new channel, “Money Mitra” to make banking services accessible to customers in their neighbourhood. Money Mitra is a concept that facilitates entrepreneurs running local businesses like Kirana/medical stores/insurance agencies to offer retail banking solutions to Ujjivan SFB customers exclusively.
- The bank customers can make a deposit, withdraw money, pay Loan EMI’s (Equated Monthly Installments) and transfer funds at the Money Mitra outlets, without the need to visit the branch.
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank:
- Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka
- MD & Chief Executive Officer (CEO): Nitin Chugh
- Tagline: “We believe in your belief.”
Federal Bank ties up with Orbit Remit Limited to offer money transfer facility from New Zealand to India:
- Federal Bank has entered into a tie-up with Orbit Remit Limited, a money transfer company, to facilitate money transfers from New Zealand to India.
- Orbit Remit Limited, a leading full-service provider, based out of New Zealand, has its presence in other countries like Australia & UK and currently provides remittance services to around 39 countries
Acquisitions and Mergers:
CII and Amazon India join hands to boost MSME business in 10 states:
- Amazon and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to bring the benefits of e-commerce to Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in 10 states across India at the 17th Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) Global SME Business Summit.
- Amazon has made three key announcements: digitising 10 million MSMEs, enabling $10 billion in e-commerce exports, and creating 1 million jobs by 2025.
WNS Cares Foundation partners with NITI Aayog to empower children and youth on cybersafety education:
- WNS Cares Foundation (WCF), the CSR arm of WNS has partnered with Atal Tinkering Labs (ATL), an initiative under the Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) by NITI Aayog, to empower children and youth with knowledge on relevant topics around cybersafety and digital education around 6, 500 schools through its platform “Cybersmart”.
Science and Technology:
Indian Navy orders Israeli “SMASH 2000” Anti-drone systems:
- The Indian Navy has finalised a contract for procurement of a batch of Israeli weapon systems that are capable of bringing down high-speed enemy drones. The delivery of the “SMASH 2000” fire control systems is expected to begin in early 2021.
- The system was manufactured by the Israeli firm ‘Smart Shooter’. It will be used in border security, bases, and strategic facilities protection.
Romanian Defence Minister Nicolae Ciuca named Interim Premier after Ludovic Orban Resigns:
- Romania’s Defence Minister Nicolae Ciuca was named the Interim Prime Minister after incumbent Ludovic Orban resigned over his ruling centre-right National Liberal Party’s poor showing in parliamentary elections. The opposition Party Social Democrats (PSD) won with 16% votes for Senate and 29.7% for Chamber of Deputies.
Justice Rajesh Bindal appointed Acting Chief Justice of Jammu And Kashmir High Court:
- Justice Rajesh Bindal was appointed as the acting Chief Justice of the common high court for the union territories of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh. He succeeds Justice Gita Mittal.
- The President of India appointed him, in the exercise of the power conferred by Article 223 of the Constitution of India.
Books and Authors
A book titled “Romancing Targets: Get Closer to Selling in 7 Steps” authored by Nidhi Vadhera:
- A book titled “Romancing Targets: Get Closer to Selling in 7 Steps” authored by Nidhi Vadhera was published by Success Gyan Publishing, which includes various examples of how a systematic approach can ease things out, add to individual learning curves and build strong relationships for aspiring entrepreneurs and corporate professionals.
A Book Titled “Dharma: Decoding the Epics for a Meaningful Life”; authored by Amish Tripathi and Bhavna Roy:
- Amish’s second non-fiction book titled “Dharma: Decoding the Epics for a Meaningful Life” and co-authored by Amish’s sister Bhavna Roy was published by Westland Publications Pvt. Ltd. This would be his second in the genre after Immortal India.
India drops to 9th spot in the Global spam call tally: Gujarat gets max calls; Insights report:
- According to the 4th edition of the Global Insights Report for 2020 released by Truecaller, a Swedish Caller ID and Spam blocking app, India ranked 9th in the list of countries affected by spam calls in 2020.
- Gujarat received the most spam calls in India. The list was topped by Brazil, United States & Hungary. The report also stated that 8 out of 10 women in India receive sexual harassment, inappropriate calls, and SMS regularly.
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman ranked 41 in the World’s 100 Most Powerful Women by Forbes:
- Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman is featured in the Forbes’ list of 100 most powerful women in the world. Sitharaman is ranked 41st, and other Indians in the list include HCL Corporation CEO and Executive Director Roshni Nadar Malhotra and Biocon Founder Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel grabbed the No. 1 slot for the 10th consecutive year, with European Central Bank head Christine Lagarde coming in second for the second year in a row.
Renowned Hindi poet and Sahitya Akademi Awardee Manglesh Dabral passed away at 72:
- Renowned Hindi poet, journalist, and Sahitya Akademi Award winner Manglesh Dabral passed away. He was awarded the Sahitya Akademi Award, India’s National Academy of Letters, in 2000 for his poetry collection Ham Jo Dekhte Hain.
Indian wicketkeeper Parthiv Patel announces retirement from all forms of cricket:
- The 35-year-old Indian wicketkeeper-batsman Parthiv Patel has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket. The left-hand batsmen have featured in 25 Tests, 38 ODIs, and two T20Is for India. He featured in 194 first-class matches for Gujarat in domestic cricket.
International Olympic Committee adds Breakdance as a Medal Event in 2024 summer Olympic Games:
- The International Olympic Committee announced that breakdancing would make its debut at the 2024 Paris Olympic Games as a medal event, while three other sports (Skateboarding, Sport Climbing, and Surfing) will make their Olympic debut at the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics to be held in July 2021.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of December 10, 2020, now from the link given below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.