DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 16, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 16, 2018
Tri-service maritime exercise ‘Paschim Lehar’ begins
- ‘Paschim Lehar‘, a tri-service maritime exercise begins in India’s western coast.
- Around 40 ships, submarines and fighter aircraft participated in ‘Paschim Lehar’.
- Units from Eastern Naval Command, Indian Army, Indian Air Force and the Coast Guard are also participating to build interoperability.
India’s biggest global pharma conference begins
- India’s biggest Global Conference on Pharma Industry and Medical Devices began in Bengaluru.
- Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilisers Ananth Kumar inaugurated the three-day event.
- The event is being organised by the Department of Pharmaceuticals (DoP), Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilisers, along with Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI).
Theme: ‘Driving NextGen Pharmaceuticals’
China to host 2018 SCO Summit
- The 2018 Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit will be held in the city of Qingdao, China in June.
- The SCO focuses on security- related issues of the region specially on counter terrorism cooperation.
- The SCO is comprised of China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India and Pakistan. India and Pakistan were admitted as full members of the organisation in 2017.
President: Xi Jinping
UN Mission: Indian Army contributes 2,300 personnel
- About 2,300 Indian Army personnel are leaving for South Sudan to join the UN peacekeeping mission in the war-torn African country.
- The Army personnel joining the UN mission are from Infantry battalion of Garhwal Rifles regiment.
- Last year, a total of 7,606 Indian peacekeepers were deployed in UN missions.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani’s visit to India
- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has arrived in Hyderabad as a three day visit to India.
- He will visit Makkah Masjid and will meet Prime minister, President and Vice-President.
- They would exchange views on on regional and international issues.
Currency: Iranian Rial
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Yes Bank lists $600-mn MTN bond on India INX
- Yes Bank has listed $600 million bond issued under its maiden $1 billion MTN programme, on Global Securities Market (GSM) of India INX.
- India INX is the country’s first international exchange, located at International Financial Services Centre, GIFT City in Gujarat.
- The bond is also listed on London Stock Exchange International Securities Market (LSE ISM) and Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited (SGX).
MD and CEO: Rana Kapoor
IPPB to enable Digital Payments in Post Offices
- The India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) announced that it will enable Digital Payments in Post Offices from April 2018.
- It will provide digital payment services at the doorstep with the help of Postmen and Gramin Dak Sevaks (GDS).
- The India Post Payments Bank was incorporated on August 17, 2016 under Companies Act, 2013 as a public limited company with 100 percent Government of India equity under Department of Posts.
Headquarters: New Delhi
MD & CEO: Suresh Sethi
AWARDS AND HONOURS
India’s Aadhaar and Umang app win awards at World Government Summit
- India’s Aadhaar won the best emerging technology award at the recently concluded World Government Summit 2018 in Dubai. India was the ‘Guest of Honour’ country at the summit.
- Umang App won in Best m-Government Service Award for Accessible Government Category.
- The awards were presented by Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior of UAE Sheikh Saif bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
Haruhiko Kuroda re-appointed as Bank of Japan chief
- Japan’s government re-appointed Bank of Japan Governor Haruhiko Kuroda for another term.
- Wakatabe and Amamiya would replace incumbent deputy governors Kikuo Iwata, an academic, and Hiroshi Nakaso, a career central banker.
- The Bank of Japan (BOJ) is the central bank of Japan, headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.
Currency: Japanese Yen
President: Shinzo Abe
Ethiopia prime minister Hailemariam Desalegn resigns
- Hailemariam Desalegn resigns as both Ethiopia’s prime minister and chairman of the country.
- Hailemariam Desalegn has led Ethiopia since 2012.
- He will remain as prime minister until the ruling Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF) and the country’s parliament accept his resignation.
Capital: Addis Ababa
Currency: Ethiopian birr
Prime minister: Hailemariam Desalegn
Yuki Bhambri: First Indian to reach quarters of Chennai Open ATP Challenger Tournament
- In Tennis, Yuki Bhambri has become the first Indian to reach the quarter-finals of the Chennai Open ATP Challenger tournament.
- He defeated compatriot Sidharth Rawat to make this achievement.
- For a place in the semi-finals, Bhambri will meet Yasutaka Uchiyama of Japan.