Daily Current Affairs : February 18, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (Febraury 18, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
4th National Conference of Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima yojana
- National Conference of Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima yojana was held in Udaipur, Rajasthan. Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Secretary- Sanjay Agarwal inaugurated the conference, with 140 members participation.
- PMFBY was launched on 18 February 2016.
South Central Railways zone becomes 1st in India to have energy-neutral stations
- The Indian Railways South Central Railways (SCR) zone has become the 1st zonal railway in the country to have functional “energy neutral” railway stations on the network.
- The South-Central Railways has coted a total nverof 13 railway stations into “energy neutral” stations, which is the highest amongst all the zones across the Indian Railways network.
Jammu and Kashmir to host 3-day global investors summit in Srinagar
- Seeking to attract businesses to Jammu and Kashmir, the state administration announced a three-day global investors summit to be held in Srinagar.
- The Confederation of Indian Industries will be the national partner for the investors meet.
Jammu and Kashmir
- Capital: Srinagar (summer), Jammu (winter)
- Governor: Girish Chandra Murmu
Donald Trump to inaugurate the world’s largest cricket stadium in Ahmedabad
- The World’s Biggest Cricket Stadium, the Motera Stadium in Ahmedabad renamed as the Sardar Vallabhbhai Stadium will be inaugurated by US President Donald Trump during his visit to India.
- The stadium has a capacity of 1.10 lakh people.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
Ladakh and J&K to come under Central Administrative Tribunal
- Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office, Jitendra Singh has said that Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh will soon be covered by the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT), addressing the annual conference of the CAT in New Delhi.
- CAT Chairman- Justice L. Narismha Reddy.
- Capital: Ladakh
- Governor: Radha Krishna Mathur
India assumes presidency of UN body on Migratory Species for 3 years
- India assumed COP Presidency for the next 3 years with a focus on Collaborative Approach to tackle Biodiversity Issues. The 13th Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Migratory Species has begun in Gandhinagar with leaders from 130 countries.
- 2020 is said to be the Super Year for Environment.
65th Filmfare Awards 2020 in Guwahati, Assam
- The 65th Filmfare Awards 2020 was held at Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium in Guwahati, Assam.
- Zoya Akhtar’s directorial ‘Gully Boy’ emerged as big winner as it bagged several awards including the prestigious best film award.
- Ranveer Singh bagged Best Actor’s trophy for his performance in Gully Boy, while Alia Bhatt won the Best Actor in a Leading Role (Female) for the same film.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
India attends 3rd Global Conference on Road Safety held in Stockholm, Sweden.
- Minister of Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari represented India at the 3rd global Conference on Road Safety. The Conference aimed at achieving Global Goals 2030.
- The conference was held in collaboration with WHO and World Bank.
- Capital: Stockholm
- Currency: Swedish krona
- Prime Minister: Stefan Löfven
Thailand hosts 13th Asian Business & Social Investor Forum 2020 & 4th Asia’s Greatest Brands & Leaders 2020
- 13th edition of Asian Business & Social Investor Forum 2019-20 & 4th edition – Asia’s Greatest Brands & Leaders 2019-20 held at the Marriott Marquis Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand with the aim to improve investment in India and Asia.
- Capital- Bangkok
- Currency- Thai Baht
- Prime Minister- Prayut Chan-o-cha
Government of India and World Bank signed loan agreement of 450 million USD
- India and World Bank signed a USD 450 million loan agreement to support the Atal Bhujal Yojana (ABHY)-National Groundwater Management Improvement Programme to arrest the country’s depleting groundwater levels and strengthen groundwater institutions.
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- President: David Malpass
Banking and Financial
SEBI decides to permit the use of the regulatory sandbox
- SEBI has decided to permit the use of regulatory sandbox, a system that will allow live testing of new products, services and business models by market players on selected customers.
- SEBI was founded on 12 April 1992.
Awards and Recognition
EC gets ‘Silver’ award for Excellence in Govt Process re-engineering for digital transformation
- The Election Commission of India has been awarded “Silver” for Excellence in Government Process re-engineering for digital transformation for the year 2019-20 from the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG), Government of India.
Books & Authors
Penguin published the Book “Chanakya Niti: Verses on Life and Living” translated by A.N.D. Haksar
- Indian Diplomat Aditya Narayan Dhairyasheel Haksar has translated the famous aphorisms(sayings) of the ancient master of statecraft Chanakya or Kautilya from Sanskrit to current existing languages for the readers and the book titled as “Chanakya Niti: Verses on life and Living” and it has been published by Penguin Random House India.
Actor and former MP Tapas Pal passes away in Mumbai
- Popular Bengali film actor and former Trinamul Congress MP Tapas Pal died at a private hospital in Mumbai.
American actress Lynn Cohen passes away at 86
- Lynn Cohen, American actress, best known for playing the role of Magda on “Sex and the City” series, passed away at the age of 86 at New York, US (United States).
India to host 2021 junior men’s Hockey World Cup
- India will host next year’s Junior Men’s World Cup.
- The International Hockey Federation (FIH) announced this at Lausanne in Switzerland.
- This is the second time that India will be hosting the prestigious tournament, having staged it in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh in 2016, where the hosts lifted the coveted trophy.
Jammu and Kashmir to host its first-ever Indoor National Rowing Championship
- Jammu and Kashmir would be hosting its first-ever Indoor National Rowing Championship.
- This was announced by Principal Secretary of Department of Education and Technical Education Navin Kumar Choudhary.
- Mr Choudhary, who is also the President of Association for Rowing and Sculling, (JKARS).
Koneru Humpy wins Cairns Cup Chess Tournament in US
- World rapid champion Koneru Humpy claimed her second title in the last two months by winning the Cairns Cup Chess Tournament at St Louis in USA.
Asian Wrestling Championship begins in New Delhi
- Asian Wrestling Championship will begin in New Delhi.
- It will be held at the KD Jadhav Hall of Indira Gandhi Stadium.
- The event will have a total of 30 weight classes, 10 each in Freestyle Men, Women, and Greco Roman.
NADA bans javelin thrower Amit Dahiya for four years
- National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) has banned javelin thrower Amit Dahiya for four years for evading sample collection and trying to cheat officials during the 2nd National Javelin Throw Open Championship 2019 held at SAI Centre in Sonipat.
India claims five silver, six bronze medals at 2020 Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championships
- India claimed five silver and six bronze medals at the ongoing 2020 Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championships in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- In 45kilogram category, K V L Pavani Kumari won silver medals in both youth girls and junior women section, while Sidhanta Gogoi claimed silver in youth boys and junior men events in 61-kilogram category after lifting a total of 145 and 269 kilograms.
“United by Emotion” to be 2020 Tokyo Olympics Motto
- Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic games revealed the official motto, “United By Emotion”, which reflects the “universal values” and “unifying power of sport”, for the upcoming 2020 Olympics to be held in Tokyo, Japan
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 18 , 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.