Daily Current Affairs: February 27 & 28, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (February 27 & 28, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – February 27 & 28, 2021, now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
World NGO Day – 27 February
- World NGO Day is annually observed on 27 February. The day was recognised and declared by the 12 member countries (Belarus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Russia, Norway, and Sweden) in 2010 and the first time was marked by the UN, EU leaders, and international organizations in
National Protein Day – 27 February
- The National Protein Day is observed annually on 27 February. The day is aimed to create awareness about protein deficiency that is afflicting many people of our country and encourage people to include this macronutrient in their diet that is also sometimes referred to as the ‘building block of life.’ ‘Right to Protein’ is a national-level health initiative launched on this day.
- 2021 Theme: ‘Powering with Plant Protein’
National Science Day – 28 February
- National Science Day is celebrated in India on 28 February each year to mark the discovery of the Raman effect by Indian physicist Sir CV Raman on 28 February 1928. For his discovery, Sir CV Raman was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1930.
- 2021 Theme: ‘Future of STI: Impacts on Education, Skills, and Work,’ becomes all the more important
Rare Disease Day – 28 February
- Rare Disease Day is an observance held on the last day of February to raise awareness for rare diseases and improve access to treatment and medical representation for individuals with rare diseases and their families. It was first launched by EURORDIS and its Council of National Alliances in 2008.
Union Minister Harsh Vardhan virtually addressed the National Science Day function from Imphal
- Union Minister of Science and Technology Harsh Vardhan addressed the National Science Day (NSD) function through video-conferencing from Imphal, Manipur. He also highlighted how science, technology, and innovation (STI) would impact our future in education, skills, and functioning in the post-pandemic world.
- Capital: Imphal
- Chief Minister: N Biren Singh
- Governor: Najma Heptulla
Chandigarh launched India’s first app named “Carbon Watch” to assess the carbon footprint
- Chandigarh becomes the first state or Union Territory in India to launch Carbon Watch, a mobile application that helps to calculate the carbon footprint of an individual.
- Carbon Watch will allow users to determine their carbon footprint and will suggest ways to reduce it. Carbon footprint is the amount of greenhouse gases, especially carbon dioxide, released into the atmosphere as a result of the activities of a particular individual, organisation, or community.
Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated Saras Aajeevika Mela 2021
- Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Rural Development, Panchayati Raj and Food Processing Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated Saras Aajeevika Mela 2021 at Noida Haat.
- Union Ministry of Rural Development is working to include more women in Self Help Groups (SHGs). SHGs played a vital role in increasing family income and improving quality of life.
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman virtually attended the G20 Central Bank Governors’ meet
- Union Finance and Corporate Affairs Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had participated virtually in the First G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors (FMCBG) meeting under the Italian Presidency to discuss policy actions for transformative and equitable recovery.
- The main aim of the meeting was to discuss policy actions for transformative and equitable recovery along with other issues on the agenda including the global economic outlook, financial sector issues, financial inclusion, and sustainable finance.
- India’s domestic policies have been based broadly on supporting citizens through measures such as credit guarantees, direct transfers, food guarantees, economic stimulus packages, and accelerating structural reforms.
Banking and Economy
Paytm, Ola and IndusInd Bank to apply for New Umbrella Entity (NUE) to launch payments network
- Ola Financial, Paytm and IndusInd Bank are planning to apply for a New Umbrella Entity (NUE) license to set up a domestic payment network similar to the National Payments Corporation of India’s (NPCI) Unified Payments Interface (UPI).
- Headquarters: Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- Founded: 2010
- Founder: Vijay Shekhar Sharma
IndusInd Bank Limited
- Headquarters: Pune, Maharashtra
- MD & CEO: Sumant Kathpalia
- Tagline: “We Make You Feel Richer”
Acquisitions and Mergers
SBI and Shapoorji Pallonji Real Estate signed an MoU to offer faster home loans
- State Bank of India (SBI) and Shapoorji Pallonji Real Estate, one of India’s marquee builders, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to enable an improved and more seamless experience for homebuyers across India.
- Customers of SBI and Shapoorji Pallonji Real Estate will be able to avail the benefits of faster processing of home loans and approvals along with other unique value add schemes.
- The MoU was signed by Shreekant, Head and Chief General Manager of Real Estate & Housing Business Unit (REHBU) vertical of State Bank of India, and Venkatesh Gopalkrishnan (CEO, Shapoorji Pallonji Real Estate).
State Bank of India (SBI)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman: Dinesh Kumar Khara
- Tagline: “The Banker to Every Indian”
Shantanu Mitra appointed as the MD and CEO of Fullerton India Credit Company
- Fullerton India Credit Company has appointed Shantanu Mitra as the new CEO and Managing Director. The appointment is with effect from 2 April 2021. His previous experience with Fullerton included a stint from 2010 to 2017.
- Fullerton India is wholly-owned by Fullerton Financial Holdings, which in turn is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Singapore-based Temasek.
- Shantanu Mitra has over 40 years of experience in financial services, with over 20 years at Standard Chartered and Citibank, where he had stints in India, Singapore, and Thailand.
OLX Group appoints Gautam Thakar as the global CEO of OLX Autos
- Prosus-owned OLX Group has appointed former Star Sports President and Chief Executive Gautam Thakar as the global CEO of its pre-owned car marketplace OLX Autos to manage the company’s offline and online presence across Asia, Africa, Latin America, and the United States.
- Gautam Thakar was the Country Manager of eBay India in 2005, before taking up international roles as the CEO of eBay’s Shopping.com followed by a stint as Vice-President and General Manager of eBay Advertising.
Indian economist Ligia Noronha appointed as the Assistant Secretary-General & Head of the New York Office of the UNEP
- UN Chief Antonio Guterres has appointed leading Indian economist Ligia Noronha as the Assistant Secretary-General and Head of the New York Office of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
- Ligia Noronha will succeed fellow Indian and development economist Satya Tripathi. She is an economist with over 30 years of international experience in the field of sustainable development.
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Executive Director: Inger Andersen
- Headquarters: Nairobi, Kenya
- Formed: 1972
Papua New Guinea’s first Prime Minister Michael Somare passed away at 84
- Papua New Guinea’s and the South Pacific island nation’s first Prime Minister Michael Somare has died. He was Papua New Guinea’s longest-serving leader after it became independent of Australia in 1975. He was Prime Minister for 17 years during four separate periods.
Renowned Malayalam Poet Vishnu Narayanan Namboothiri passed away at 81
- Padma Shri and renowned Malayalam poet, priest, and academician Vishnu Narayanan Namboothiri has passed away. He was honoured with the Padma Shri in 2014 for his contribution to the world of Malayalam literature for decades.
- He also won the Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award, Kendra Sahitya Akademi Fellowship, Vallathol Award, Odakkuzhal Award, and the Mathrubhumi Literary Award, among others.
Indian all-rounder Yusuf Pathan announces retirement from all forms of cricket
- Former India all-rounder Yusuf Pathan has announced his retirement from all formats of cricket. He was part of the Indian team that won the 2007 T20 World Cup as well as the 2011 ODI World Cup.
- The 38-year-old played 57 ODIs and 22 T20Is for India (2007-2012). He scored 810 ODI runs and 236 T20I runs for India, as well as picked up 46 wickets in limited-overs international cricket.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 26, 2021, now from the link given below.