Daily Current Affairs: February 5, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (February 5, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Andhra SEC launches ‘e-Watch’ app designed to receive gram panchayat election-related complaints
- Andhra Pradesh State Election Commissioner Nimmagadda Ramesh Kumar launched an ‘e-Watch’ app specially designed to receive gram panchayat election-related complaints. He has also launched a call centre for receiving panchayat election-related complaints.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park, Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
2nd CCTNS Hackathon and Cyber Challenge 2020-21 of National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) inaugurated in New Delhi
- The inaugural function of the 2nd CCTNS Hackathon and Cyber Challenge 2020-21 of the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) was held in New Delhi. It is to enhance analysis and deepen understanding of police personnel.
- The mobile app “Locate Nearest Police Station” was also launched. This app will help various users including women commuters, interstate travellers, domestic and foreign tourists, etc., especially during any emergency and has the facility to dial 112.
- Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal.
Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal launches ‘Switch Delhi’ campaign to promote electric vehicles
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched the ‘Switch Delhi’ campaign to promote electric vehicles and appealed to people to buy electric vehicles to combat pollution in the city.
- The Government has fixed an ambitious target of 25 percent electric vehicles among the total vehicle registrations in Delhi by 2024.
- Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal.
Union Housing Ministry partners with Zomato to take street food vendors’ businesses online
- As part of Prime Minister Street Vendor’s Atma Nibhar Nidhi (PM SVANidhi) Scheme, the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has partnered with Zomato to empower street food vendors with digital technology and facilitate greater income-earning opportunities for them on the food-tech platform.
- MoHUA has also launched the mobile application for PMSVANidhi se Samriddhi for socio-economic profiling of PM SVANidhi beneficiaries and their families to link them to various Central Government schemes.
First India-Bahrain Joint Working Group meeting in the field of Renewable Energy held virtually
- The 1st meeting of the Joint Working Group in the field of Renewable Energy between India and Bahrain was held in a virtual format. Abdul Hussain bin Ali Mirza, President of Sustainable Energy Authority led the Bahraini delegation.
- The Indian delegation was led by Dinesh Dayanand Jagdale, Joint Secretary, Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
India-US joint military exercise ‘Yudh Abhyas’ to be held in Rajasthan
- The 16th edition of the Indo-US joint military exercise ‘Yudh Abhyas’ will be held in Rajasthan. The exercise near the India-Pakistan border aims at enhancing cooperation and interoperability between both Navies.
- The exercise will also focus on conducting counter-terrorism operations in accordance with the mandate of the United Nations.
- Capital: Jaipur
- Chief Minister: Ashok Gehlot
- Governor: Kalraj Mishra.
Banking and Economy
NBFCs to get funds under on tap TLTRO scheme for incremental lending: RBI
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) proposed to provide funds to non-banking finance companies (NBFCs) from banks under an on-tap TLTRO (Targeted Long Term Repo Operations) scheme for lending to some stressed sectors.
- RBI is to conduct on-tap TLTRO with tenors of up to three years for a total amount of up to one lakh crore rupees at a floating rate linked to the policy repo rate. The scheme is available till March 31, 2021.
RBI projects GDP growth at 10.5% for FY 2021-22
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced the monetary policy review has decided to continue with an accommodative stance of monetary policy to maintain the status quo on key policy rates.
- The repo rate is kept unchanged at 4.00 percent and the reverse repo rate at 3.35 percent. The GDP growth is projected at 10.5 percent in the financial year 2021-22.
- Repo Rate: 4.00%
- Reverse Repo Rate: 3.35%
- Marginal Standing Facility Rate: 4.25%
- Bank Rate: 4.25%
- CRR: 3%
- SLR: 18.00%
Acquisitions and Mergers
HCL Technologies partners with Airbus to enhance user experience and service quality
- HCL has signed a five-year digital workplace services agreement with Airbus. HCL will establish a modernized digital workplace to enhance the user experience and service quality for the majority of Airbus employees globally.
- HCL was selected as Airbus preferred partner as it was able to offer the broadest combination of standard functionality and innovation capabilities to generate greater efficiency and improved time to market.
IIT-BHU signs an MoU with the Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highways to increase cooperation with institutes for road-construction
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) – Banaras Hindu University (BHU) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Union Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways (MoRTH) in a bid to increase cooperation with institutes for road-construction in the country.
ARAI ties up with AIM-NITI Aayog to boost the startup ecosystem in the mobility sector
- The Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) and Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) — NITI Aayog have signed a statement of intent (SOI) to boost the startup ecosystem in the mobility sector.
- Under the initiative, ARAI will use its TechNovuus platform and shall lend experience, expertise, and equipment to nurture the start-ups working in the mobility segment.
- The partnership will help start-ups for industry connect, B2B innovations, provide technical guidance and hand-holding for technology realization.
Science and Technology
BEML and NAL to jointly develop 2-seater trainer aircraft
- BEML Limited has signed an MoU with the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) – National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL) for joint development in the areas of advanced composites and autoclaves, mini-unmanned aerial vehicles, design & analysis of aircraft structure and systems.
- BEML also teamed with NAL for joint development of two-seater trainer aircraft through a transfer of technology.
Pakistan test-fires nuclear-capable surface-to-surface ballistic missile ‘Ghaznavi’
- Pakistan successfully test-fired a nuclear-capable surface-to-surface ballistic missile ‘Ghaznavi’ which can strike targets up to 290 kilometres. The missile was developed by National Developed Complex (NDC).
HAL signs an MoU with MIDHANI to develop composite raw materials at Aero India
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited (MIDHANI) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the development and production of composite raw materials during the Aero India 2021 in Bengaluru.
- This is the first time that such an MoU has been signed for composite raw materials. The MoU was signed by Chairman and Managing Director of HAL, R Madhavan and Chairman and Managing Director of MIDHANI, S K Jha in the presence of other senior officials.
Reliance gets world’s first ‘carbon-neutral’ oil from the United States
- Billionaire Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries Ltd has sourced the world’s first consignment of ‘carbon-neutral oil’ from the US as it looks to become a net zero-carbon company by 2035.
- This transaction is the first major petroleum shipment of Reliance, for which greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from the entire crude lifecycle, including oil extraction, transport, storage, shipping, refining, subsequent use, and combustion, have been offset.
UiPath appoints Anil Bhasin as the Managing Director for India and South Asia
- UiPath has appointed Palo Alto Networks’ Anil Bhasin as Managing Director for its India and South Asia operations, as part of its efforts to scale its business and technology units in the region.
- Bhasin replaces Manish Bharti at the position, will work closely with Rick Harshman, senior Vice President and Managing Director for the Asia-Pacific and Japan.
IPS officer Praveen Sinha appointed as the interim CBI Chief
- CBI Additional Director Praveen Sinha, a 1988-batch Gujarat cadre IPS officer, has been appointed as the Acting Chief of the agency till a decision on a new director is taken to succeed Rishi Kumar Shukla who retired after a two-year fixed stint.
Union Labour Ministry appoints L&T CEO Subrahmanyan as the Chairman of National Safety Council
- The Union Ministry of Labour and Employment has appointed Larsen & Toubro’s Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director, SN Subrahmanyan as the Chairman of the National Safety Council for a period of three years.
- Subrahmanyan will guide the National Safety Council which has a major role to play to ensure safety in workplaces under the new Occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions Code, 2020 (OSH Code, 2020).
Awards and Recognitions
25-year-old Ayesha Aziz becomes India’s youngest female pilot
- The 25-year-old from Kashmir, Ayesha Aziz is the youngest female pilot in India.
- In the year 2011, she became the youngest student pilot to get a license at the age of 15 and underwent training to fly a MIG-29 jet at Russia’s Sokol airbase.
Indian documentary ‘Writing with Fire’ wins audience award at Sundance Film Festival
- Indian film “Writing with Fire”, chronicling the rise of Khabar Lahariya, India’s only newspaper run by Dalit women, has won the audience award in the World Cinema Documentary category at the Sundance Film Festival 2021.
- The virtual award ceremony was remotely hosted by actor-comic Patton Oswalt.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 5, 2021, now from the link given below.
Daily Current Affairs Quiz – February 5, 2021