Daily Current Affairs : January 19, 20 & 21, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (January 19, 20 & 21, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – January 12 – 21, 2020 now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
Ravi Shankar Prasad to inaugurate second edition of NIC Tech Conclave-2020
- Union Minister for Electronics and Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad will inaugurate the second edition of NIC Tech Conclave-2020 in New Delhi. The two-day event is being organized by the National Informatics Centre.
- This Conclave will contribute immensely to the capacity building of Government officers across the country and help in delivering high-quality citizen-centric services. This year’s theme is “Technologies for Next-Gen Governance”.
Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani launches 7th Economic Census process in Gujarat
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has launched the 7th Economic Census process in the state.
- Economic Census process is being carried out by Union Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation with the help of Common Service Centres.
- Nearly 40 thousand enumerators will use mobile application for the first time to gather information under the guidance of 6,500 supervisors.
President Kovind lays foundation stone of Lakshadweep’s 1st super specialty hospital at Kavaratti
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, who was on a first ever 2-day State Visit to the Union Territory of Lakshadweep, has laid the foundation stone for Lakshadweep’s 1st Super Specialty Hospital at Kavaratti.
‘cVIGIL’ and ‘Voter Helpline app’ won e-Governance Award of Excellence 2019 in Bhubaneswar Odisha
- Award of Excellence for the year 2019 was given by Computer Society of India (CSI) and Special Interest Group on e-Governance (CSI SIG e-Gov) at Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- The two innovative Information and Communication Technology (ICT) applications developed by Election Commission of India (ECI), ‘cVIGIL’ and ‘Voter Helpline App’ has won the e-Governance award.
Union Minister Piyush Goyal to lead Indian in 50th World Economic Forum in Switzerland
- Four day 50th World Economic Forum at Davos in Switzerland will begin on January 21.
- 53 heads of state or government from 117 countries are participating in the event.
- The theme of this year’s WEF is ‘Stakeholders for a Cohesive and Sustainable World’. It emphasizes Forum Founder Klaus Schwab’s idea that managers have a duty to customers, suppliers and the wider economy, not just dividend-hungry shareholders.
- Union Minister for Commerce and Industry Piyush Goyal will lead the Indian delegation. Mr. Goyal will hold bilateral meetings with Ministers of Australia, South Africa, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Switzerland, Korea and Singapore.
PM Modi, Nepal PM Oli to jointly inaugrate Integrated Check Post Biratnagar
- India and Nepal share over 1,850 kilometre- long border which is characterized by a unique and long tradition of free movement of people. Jogbani-Biratnagar international trade point is one of the important trade points between the two countries.
- ICP Biratnagar has been built on 260 acres of land at a cost of around 140 crore rupees.
- Government of India supported post-earthquake reconstruction housing project. India is providing financial assistance for reconstruction of 50,000 houses in Gorkha and Nuwakot districts of Nepal.
WEF’s 1st Global Social Mobility Index 2020: India ranks 76th & Denmark tops the list
- World Economic Forum (WEF) released 1st edition of a report titled “The Global Social Mobility Report 2020: Equality, Opportunity and a New Economic Imperative”.
- The global social mobility index (GSMI) of 82 countries were launched in this report.
- As per the Index, India ranked in the 76th position with a score of 42.7 while Denmark topped the list.
10th World Future Energy Summit 2020 held in Abu dhabi, UAE;
- 10th edition of World Future Energy Summit (WFES) 2020 hosted by Masdar renewable energy company, was held at Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE) from January 13-16, 2020.
- The theme for the year 2020 was “Rethinking Global Consumption, Production, and Investment”.
3rd Climate Innovations Exchange:
- Alongside the World Future Energy Summit, 3rd edition of the Climate Innovations Exchange, ‘CLIX’ in short and the Future Sustainability Summit was also held in Abu Dhabi.
- The event showcased innovative ideas related to energy, food, agriculture and sustainability in space.
Digital payments body NPCI launches blockchain-based ‘Vajra platform’ to make payments fast & secure
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), an umbrella organisation for operating retail payments has launched blockchain technology based “Vajra Platform” to make payments fast & secure.
- Vajra: The new platform Vajra, which is based on the Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT),has been designed with the aim to offer automatic clearing and settlement of payments on NPCI products such as unified payments interface (UPI) and Rupay card & will significantly reduce the need for manual reconciliation.
9th International Children’s Film Festival begins in Kolkata
- 9th International Children’s Film Festival begins in Kolkata today with the screening of Aizaz Khan directed Hamid.
- About 250 films from 45 countries will be screened in the week-long festival.
- The National Award Winner Children actor, Talha Arsad Rishi will inaugurate the festival.
12th National Tribal Youth Exchange Programme inaugurated in Puducherry
- Puducherry Lieutenant Governor Dr Kiran Bedi inaugurated the 12th National Tribal Youth Exchange Programme in Puducherry.
- The programme has been jointly organized by the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) and Puducherry Government with a view to ensure development and empowerment of the tribal youths
- NYKS National Vice Chairman Vishnu Varadhan Reddy, Puducherry Chief Minister’s Parliament Secretary Lakshmi Narayanan, NYKS State Director Nataraj, Sub-Collector Shashvat Saurabh and other dignitaries participated in the inaugural function.
Bahadurpur and Kheri Viran to become India’s first model sports villages
- Two villages namely Bahadurpur and Kheri Viran of Uttar Pradesh (UP) has set to become India’s first ‘Model Sports villages’ as a part of Institute of Management Technology (IMT) Ghaziabad, UP ‘Adarsh Khel Gram’ program in association with NGO(Non-Governmental Organization)‘ Sports: A Way of Life’ to evolve sports culture and increase sports literacy in the country.
First edition of Krishi Manthan begins in Ahmedabad
- Gujarat, the first edition of Krishi Manthan- the largest Food, Agri-business and Rural Development Summit of Asia organized by Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad began.
- More than 1,500 delegates including students and academicians are participating in the two-day event organized by the Food and Agribusiness Committee of IIMA.
Madhya Pradesh: Tow-day SQAY competition kicks off
- Two-day SQAY competition is being organized from at Sports Authority of India (SAI) in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. The under-21 category tournament is organized under ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’ campaign.
- SQAY is a martial art form of Central Asia, in which the players show the skills of fencing. Experts say that the martial art form originated in Kashmir.
Bengaluru comes up with Centre for Excellence in Blockchain Technology
- Karnataka, Bengaluru has come up with a Centre for Excellence in Blockchain Technology. This technology helps in enhancing transparency and trust in e-Governance system by allowing all stakeholders benefit from shared learning, experiences and resources.
- Set up by the National Informatics Centre, the Centre for Excellence would help to bring a revolutionary change in the lives of the people by delivering e-governance services effectively through the data-centric model.
- He said that around 16,000 courts have been transformed as e-courts in India and technologies related to Direct Benefit Transfer and e-scholarship developed by NIC have been widely accepted by people as they are user-friendly.
Ladakh hosts first ever Food Processing Summit to attract investors
- Union Territory Ladakh is hosting the first ever Food Processing Summit to attract investors to the region. With the help of Ministry of Commerce and Industry and the Ministry of Food Processing Industries, the UT Administration of Ladakh is organizing the Summit.
- Ladakh region has vast scope for investment in food Processing Industries in horticulture products like Apricot, SeabuckThorn, Apple and agricultural produce like buckwheat and barley.
Arjun Munda becomes President of suspended AAI
- Union Minister Arjun Munda was today elected as President of the suspended Archery Association of India (AAI) in its much-delayed elections.
- The elections were held as per the Delhi High Court order.
- A three-time Jharkhand Chief Minister, the 51-year-old Munda is a hugely popular tribal leader who also runs an archery academy which was instrumental in the rise of former world number one Deepika Kumari.
General Satinder Kumar Saini appointed as the new vice Chief of Army Staff
- Southern Army Commander Lieutenant General Satinder Kumar Saini appointed as the new Vice Chief of Army Staff (VCOAS).
- He will take charge on January 25, 2020.
- He succeeded Lieutenant General Manoj Mukund Naravane, who was promoted as the Chief of Army Staff.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Singer Suman & music director Kuldeep Singh to get MP’s Lata Mangeshkar Award for 2017 & 2018
- Indian singer Suman Kalyanpur was chosen for the 2017 National Lata Mangeshkar Award of the state govt. of Madhya Pradesh (MP) while Indian Music composer Kuldeep Singh has been chosen for the same Mangeshkar award for the year 2018.
- They have been chosen for this award for their contribution in the field of music and will be awarded in February 2020 at an event in Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Book ‘Essays and Reminiscences: A Festschrift in Honour of Nani A Palkhivala’
- The book ‘Essays & Reminiscences: A Festschrift in Honour of Nani A Palkhivala‘ was released to mark the birth centenary anniversary of Indian Jurist and Economist Nanaboy “Nani” Ardeshir Palkhivala. The book is published by LexisNexis publications.
- The book was commissioned by the Nani A Palkhivala Memorial Trust and edited by the senior advocate Arvind Datar.
Former Indian Cricketer WV Raman’s book ‘The Winning Sixer’, released by Anil Kumble in Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Woorkeri Venkat Raman (WV Raman), former Indian cricket team opener has authored a book ‘The Winning Sixer: Leadership Lessons To Master’, which was released formally by Anil Radhakrishna Kumble during an event in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- WV Raman is the current head coach of the national women’s cricket team. The book was published by Rupa Publications, India.
ICC ODI rankings: Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma consolidate top batting positions; Bumrah tops bowling chart
- Captain Virat Kohli and his deputy Rohit Sharma consolidated their top two positions in the batting chart in the One-Day International Rankings issued by International Cricket Council in Dubai.
- Kohli (886 points) and Rohit (868 points) have gained two and three rating points, to occupy the top two positions in the batting rankings.
- Indian pace ace Jasprit Bumrah continued to lead among bowlers. Bumrah, who returned from injury in the Australia series, is at top of the bowling chart with 764 points.
Ratchanok Intanon lifts Indonesia Masters 2020 title
- Thailand’s Ratchanok Intanon lifted the Indonesia Badminton Masters 2020 women’s singles title after defeating Carolina Marin in the summit clash.
- Intanon defeated Marin 21-19, 11-21, 21-18 in one hour and twenty minutes long match.
Wrestling: India bags 7 medals in Rome Ranking Series
- India has returned with seven medals from the Rome Ranking Series. Bajrang Punia and Ravi Kumar Dahiya claimed gold medals in the tournament last night. The 25-year-old Bajrang staged a comeback to secure a 4-3 win against USA’s Jordan Michael Oliver in the summit showdown of the 65kg freestyle category.
- The 23-year-old Ravi bagged the gold after defeating Kazakhstan’s Nurbolat Abdualiyev 12-2 in his final 61 kg category bout.
- Earlier, Vinesh Phogat won a gold and Anshu Malik a silver in the women’s competition. In Greco-roman, Gurpreet Singh won a gold in 82 kg category. Sunil Kumar settled for a silver in 97kg category while Sajan Bhanwal got a bronze in the 77 kg category.
Mumbai marathon: Ethiopian national Derrara Hurisa breaks record to win full marathon in elite category
- In the 7th edition of the Mumbai marathon, 22-year-old Ethiopian national,Derrara Hurisa has broken the event record for the full marathon elitecategory. Ayele Abshero and Birhanu Teshome came in second and third in thecategory.
- Srinu Bugatha and Sudha Singh have won the Indian Elite Full Marathon Men’s andWomen’s category respectively.
- Ethiopia’s Amane Beriso finished at the top in the International Elite FullMarathon Women’s category.
- In the half marathon category, Uttar Pradesh’s Parul Choudhary has emergedvictorious while Mumbai’s Aarti Patil comes in second and Nasik’s Monicasecured the third spot.
Kuldeep Yadav becomes fastest Indian spinner to take 100 wickets in ODIs
- Kuldeep Yadav became the fastest Indian spinner to claim 100 wickets in ODI during the second match against Australia in Rajkot.
- The left-arm wrist-spinner reached the milestone in his 58th match when he got rid of Alex Carey for 18 in the 38th over of the Australian run chase.
- Among spinners, the earlier fastest to 100 wickets was Harbhajan Singh in 76 matches.
- Kuldeep is now also the third-fastest Indian bowler to take 100 ODI wickets behind current teammates Mohammed Shami, who reached the milestone in 56 matches, and Jasprit Bumrah in 57 matches.
Rajshahi Royals wins Bangladesh Premier League Trophy
- Rajshahi Royals defeated Khulna Tigers in the finals of the Bangabandhu Bangladesh Premier League (BBPL) Twenty20 trophy in Dhaka on Saturday.
- In a thrilling final played at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur, Dhaka the Rajshahi Royals trounced Khulna Tigers by 21 runs to lift the trophy in the special edition of the T-20 league.
- The Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) has been named Bangabandhu BPL to commemorate the centenary year of Bangladesh’s father of Nation Sheikh Mujibur Rahman
- West Indian cricket player and Rajshahi Royal skipper Andre Russel was named the player of the match for his performance in the finals.
- He (Andre Russel) was also declared the player of the tournament for his 225 runs and 14 wickets over the course of the tournament.
Jacqueline Williams of Jamaica becomes the 1st woman third Umpire in men’s T20I
- Jacqueline Williams of Jamaica becomes the first woman third umpire in men’s international cricket match.
- The 43-year-old Jamaican woman oversaw all 3 matches of the Twenty20 International (T20I) series in Grenada, West Indies between West Indies and Ireland.
Tripura statehood day
- Indian government reorganised the North East region to ensure effective control of the international borders – three new states came into existence on 21 January 1972: Meghalaya, Manipur, and Tripura.
Manipur statehood day
- Manipur attained full-fledged statehood on 21 January 1972. With this, a Legislative Assembly consisting of 60 elected members was established. Manipur is situated on the eastern frontier of India.
President of India Presents 14th Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, presented the 14th Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards at a ceremony held in New Delhi.
- Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards honour those journalists from print, broadcast and digital media who have maintained the highest standards of their profession and, despite immense challenges, produced work that sustains public trust in the media and impacts the lives of people. The awards are meant to felicitate those who hold their pen for truth.
15th Raising Day celebrated by National Disaster Response Force
- The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) was founded on 19th January 2006.
- NDRF celebrated its 15th Raising Day on 19th January 2020.
- The organization plays an important role in Disaster Management and Community awareness for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) in the country
Atal Innovation Mission & UNDP hosts 3day Youth Co: Lab National Innovation Challenge
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) NITI Aayog and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Sunday hosted a three day long Youth Co:Lab -national innovation challenge here in Delhi after a series of successful challenges held in past two phases across the country.
- With efforts of AIM and UNDP to support young people by catalysing youth-led innovation, empowering them through Youth Co:Lab, four winning teams made it the list to represent India at the Youth Co:Lab Regional Innovation Challenge in Malaysia slated to be held in April this year.
IMF lowers India’s 2019 growth forecast to 4.8% from 6.1%
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) has lowered India’s growth forecast for 2019 to 4.8 per cent from 6.1 per cent it projected in October on the back of sharp decline in consumer demand, stress in the NBFC sector and sluggish credit growth.
- MD and Chairman of IMF: Kristalina Georgieva
UNCTAD releases Global investment Trend report: India among top 10 recipients of FDI
- United Nation Conference on Trade and Development released its report on Global Investment Trend Monitor Report for the year 2019.
- The Global FDI of the year 2019 was 1.39 trillion USD.
- This has declined by 1% as compared to 2018.
India to set up the Maritime Research Coordination Centre in Sri Lanka
- Indian National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval met Sri Lankan President Gotbaya Rajpaksa.
- He discussed setting up of maritime research coordination.
Chapchar kut festival to be celebrated in Mizoram on March 6
- Chapchar Kut, the biggest and most important festival of the Mizos, will be celebrated by the Government of Mizoram on March 6, 2020.
- The festival is generally celebrated after the completion of the Jhum cultivation, which is also known as the slash and burn agriculture.
Gujarat ranked top for water efficiency, Delhi among worst performing states
- Gujarat has been ranked the best for parameters on efficiency targets in the review of state and Central government water departments by the ministry of Jal Shakti.
- Rajasthan is the third best and Delhi is among the worst performing states, according to the ranking for 2019 circulated to different state governments recently.
- Among the seven Central departments reviewed, the Survey of India has got the top billing followed by the National Institute of Hydrology (NIH) and Central Water Commission. The Central Pollution Control Board, the country’s pollution watchdog, has got the lowest rank, in the ranking for the year 2019.
Nripendra Misra appointed as the chairman of NMML by GoI
- The Government of India has appointed Nripendra Misra as the chairperson of the executive council and Dr A Surya Prakash as the vice-chairperson of the executive council of the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML).
- Nripendra Misra, former principal secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been appointed the chairman of the executive council of the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library, the highest decision making body of the institution.
Sanjiv Chadha appointed managing director and chief executive of Bank of Baroda
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) appointed Sanjiv Chadha as the managing director and chief executive of Bank of Baroda, Lingam Venkat Prabhakar as MD & CEO of Canara Bank and Atanu Kumar Das as MD & CEO of Bank of India.
Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw fourth Indian to receive highest Australian civilian honour
- Australia has conferred its highest civilian honor, the Order of Australia honour, on Biocon founder Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw for her contribution towards advancing the country’s relationship with India.
- She contributes immensely to promoting women in STEM through the joint research programmes developed between Biocon and Deakin University, Australia, as part of her deep and long-standing commitment to gender equality
Indian Classical Singer Sunanda Patnaik Passes Away
- Indian classical singer Sunanda Patnaik, popularly known as “guruma” passed away at a private hospital in Kolkata at the age of 85. She started singing at All India Radio in Cuttack in 1948 at the age of 14.
- She received Odisha Sangeet Natak Akademi award in 1970 and 1971.
World’s shortest man Khagendra Thapa Magar passes away
- World’s shortest man Khagendra Thapa Magar passed away.
- He was born on 14 October 1992, stood at 67.08 cm (2 ft 2.41 in) tall.
- He made his first appearance in the GWR 2011 book, alongside Jyoti Amge, the shortest teenager (female) living.
India successfully test-fired K-4 Ballistic Missile from Andhra Pradesh
- The nuclear-capable K-4 ballistic missile has been successfully test-fired by India at Vizag coast in Andhra Pradesh.
- The nuclear-capable missile having the range of 3,500-kilometre was developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
Merger and Acquisitions
Zomato acquires Uber Eats for Rs 2,485 crore
- Zomato has acquired Uber Eats, the food delivery business of ride-hailing giant Uber India for around Rs 2,485 crore ($350 million) in an all-stock deal.
- Uber Eats witnesses $2 per order as compared to $3-4 per order for Swiggy and Zomato.
- Zomato founder: Deepinder Goyal.
Harbhajan and Srikkanth included in government panel on sports
- Cricketers Harbhajan Singh and Krishnamachari Srikkanth have been included in the panel as its new members.
- The AICS was formed in December 2015 during the tenure of then sports minister Sarbananda Sonowal.
- During the committee’s first tenure, which ran from December 2015 to May last year when the Modi government’s first full-term at the Centre concluded, Tendulkar was drafted into the committee as a Rajya Sabha MP along with Anand.
- The committee’s original strength size has also been pruned down from 27 members to 18 in its second term.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of January 12 – 21, 2019 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 6 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.