Daily Current Affairs : January 30, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (January 30, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Leprosy Day
- World Leprosy Day is celebrated on January 26 every year.
- It is celebrated to create awareness about the disease and fight the misinformation attached to it.
- Theme: “Leprosy isn’t what you think”
Martyrs Day or Shaheed Diwas
- January 30 is observed as Martyrs’ Day (aka Shaheed Diwas), which marks the death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi who is most popularly known and titled as the Father of the Nation.
- Gandhi was assassinated on this day in 1948.
S Jaishankar lays foundation stone of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Centre at Kevadia in Gujarat
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar laid the foundation stone of the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Centre for Empowerment and Livelihoods near the Statue of Unity at Kevadia in Gujarat.
- GMR Varalakshmi Foundation has taken a joint initiative with Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Limited to establish this Centre with an investment of over Rs 15 crore.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
Bengaluru is the ‘Most Traffic Congested city’ in the world
- As per the results of the TomTom Traffic Index, a report detailing the traffic situation in 416 cities in 57 countries, Bengaluru takes the top spot this year with drivers in the southern Indian city expecting to spend an average of 71 per cent extra travel time stuck in traffic.
- Mumbai at fourth position followed by Pune at fifth place and New Delhi at eighth position.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: Vajubhai Vala
Assam Rifles builds war memorial in Nagaland for 357 martyrs
- The memorial has been built at Mokokchung, which is also the cultural and intellectual centre of Nagaland.
- This memorial is the first of its kind in Nagaland, which also has the famous Second World War Cemetery at Kohima. Christened “Veer Samriti”, the memorial is spread over 13,500 sq ft and was built by 44 Assam Rifles.
- “This memorial is the first of its kind in Nagaland, which also has the famous Second World War Cemetery at Kohima. Christened “Veer Samriti”.
- Capital: Kohima
- Chief Minister: Neiphiu Rio
- Governor: R N Ravi
Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah releases Bureau of Police Research and Development publication “Data on Police Organizations”.
- Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah released the “Data on Police Organizations as on 1.1.2019” in India, in the presence of Shri V S K Kaumudi, DG, BPR&D, and other senior officers of the BPR&D.
- The BPR&D has been publishing the “Data on Police Organizations” annually since 1986.
Mangalore Smart City and Indian Green Building Council ink pact
- The Indian Green Building Council & Mangalore Smart City Ltd have signed a MoU for sustainable development in Mangalore.
- The MoU envisages a joint assessment study to evaluate the green criteria of Mangalore as per the IGBC Green Cities rating system.
- Mangaluru Smart City Ltd is the 1st smart city in India to sign an MoU with IGBC.
Cabinet approves upper limit for abortion at 24 weeks
- Cabinet gave nod to extend the upper gestation limit for abortion from the existing 20 to 24 weeks, amending the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act,1971.
- Globally, pregnancies are aborted even at 32 wks in case there are substantial foetal abnormalities.
Flipkart signs MoU with GSHHDC to promote artisans and craftsmen
- Flipkart Private Limited, an Indian e-commerce company, has entered into an MoU (memorandum of understanding) with the Gujarat State Handloom and Handicrafts Development Corporation Ltd (GSHHDC) for the promotion of local handicrafts by bringing on board thousands of artisans, weavers and craftsmen.
Pakistan to host first-ever conference to boost trade links with African nations
- Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi and Advisor for Commerce and Investments Abdul Razzak Dawood will address the inaugural session.
- The conference is part of Pakistan’s ‘Engage Africa’ initiative, which is in line with Prime Minister Imran Khan’s vision to forge closer political and economic ties with the African continent.
Boris Johnson defies Trump, grants Huawei limited role in UK’s 5G network
- Prime Minister Boris Johnson granted Huawei a limited role in Britain’s 5G mobile network , frustrating a global attempt by the United States to exclude the Chinese telecoms giant from the West’s next-generation communications.
Passport Seva Kendras started passport renewal reminder service
- 2 SMS are being sent to the concerned passport holders – one before 9 months & another before 7 months of the date of expiry of passport.
- An ordinary passport for adults is valid for 10 years from the date of issue and can be renewed for another 10 years.
- Validity of minor’s is restricted to 5 years/till attain 18 yrs.
Harsh Vardhan Shringla takes charge as new Foreign Secretary
- Harsh Vardhan Shringla took charge as new foreign secretary succeeding Vijay Gokhale.
- Mr Shringla is a 1984-batch officer of the Indian Foreign Service.
Awards and Recognition
Assam tableau wins first prize at 71st Republic Day parade
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh gave away Best Tableaux awards for Republic Day Parade, 2020 in New Delhi.
- Assam’s tableau which portrayed the unique craftsmanship and culture of the state has been chosen as the best tableau, followed by Odisha and Uttar Pradesh who were tied for the second position.
- Central Public Works Department got the Special Prize for their tableau which based on the theme – Kashmir se Kanyakumari.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
Banking and Finance
Ind-Ra expects states fiscal deficit to touch 3% of GDP in FY21
- India Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra) expects aggregate fiscal deficit of the states to come close to 3 per cent of gross domestic product in the current fiscal year, higher than the budgeted 2.6 per cent.
- In its note, it has revised the outlook on state finances to ‘stable-to-negative’ for the current fiscal year from ‘stable’.
ICICI Bank Launches ‘iBox’, A Self-Service Delivery Facility For Customers
- ICICI Bank, announced the launch of a unique self-service delivery facility, called ‘iBox’, enabling its customers to collect their deliverables such as debit card, credit card, cheque book and returned cheques from a branch close to their home or office.
- President of ICICI Bank: Sandeep Batra.
RBI fines HDFC Bank 1 crore for non-compliance of KYC norms
- RBI has imposed a penalty of 1 crore on HDFC Bank for non-compliance with its KYC norms.
- It has imposed the penalty in exercise of powers under the provisions of section 47 A (1) (c) read with section 46 (4) (i) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
- CEO Of HDFC: Aditya Puri
IDFC First Bank shares slump 5% on Q3 results
- Pre-provisioning profit of IDFC First Bank however increased to ₹682 crore in Q3.
- IDFC First Bank has provided 50% for the legacy stressed telecom account.
- CEO OF IDFC Bank: V Vaidyanathan
Science and Technology
ISRO to launch 10 satellites to replace its ageing fleet
- The first such satellite, GSAT-30, which will replace the 15-year-old INSAT 4-A satellite, was launched on January 17.
- The satellite carried 12 C band transponders for communication and 12 Ku band transponders designed for direct-to-home transmission.
- K Sivan chairperson of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
NCCS scientists find new microbial species “Natrialba swarupiae”
- The studies on the microorganism archaea from the Sambhar lake in Rajasthan helped scientists at the National Centre for Cell Science, Pune, to discover a novel archael species called ‘Natrialba swarupiae’.
- They named the species after Dr. Renu Swarup.
Neeraj Chopra qualifies for Tokyo Olympics 2020
- Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra has qualified for the Tokyo Olympics.
- He threw the spear to 87.86 metres at the Athletics Central North East meeting in South Africa.
- Rohit Yadav threw 77.61m to finish second.
New Zealand spinner Todd Astle announces first-class retirement
- Todd Duncan Astle, 33 years old from New Zealand, Wellington, leg-spinner had announced his retirement from first-class cricket to focus on the limited-over cricket (one day cricket).
- Astle scored more than 4000 runs in his 119 first-class matches.
India to host Barca Academy Cup – Asia Pacific 2020 in Gurgaon, Haryana
- For the 2nd time, India to host Barca Academy Cup – Asia Pacific 2020, hosted by Barca Academy, scheduled to be held in Gurgaon, Haryana from January 30 -February 2, 2020.
- Which will see the participation of more than 650 football players from 7 countries (India, Australia, Turkey, China, Singapore, Japan and Spain).
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of January 30, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 6 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.