Daily Current Affairs: January 30 & 31, 2022
Daily Current Affairs (January 30 & 31, 2022) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – January 30 & 31, 2022, now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
Martyrs’ Day (India) – 30 January
- Martyrs’ Day or Shaheed Diwas is celebrated in India every year on 30 January to remember freedom fighters who laid down their lives for India to become independent from British colonisation. This date also marks the date of the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi by Nathuram Godse in
- Shaheed Diwas is mainly observed in India on two days 30 January and 23 March
World Leprosy Day – 30 January
- World Leprosy Day is celebrated on the last Sunday of January every year to raise awareness about leprosy (also known as Hansen’s disease) across the world.
- This year (2022), the day falls on 30 January. This day was first initiated in 1954 by French philanthropist Raoul Follereau who made people know about this ancient disease.
- The theme for World Leprosy Day 2022 is ‘United for Dignity’.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses the thirtieth National Commission for Women’s foundation day programme
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the thirtieth National Commission for Women (NCW)’s foundation day programme via videoconferencing.
- The theme of this year’s programme is ‘She The Change Maker’, which is aimed at celebrating the achievements of women in different fields.
Union Minister Mansukh Mandaviya launched the NIPER research portal to facilitate research & innovation in the pharmaceutical sector
- Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare and Chemical and Fertilisers Mansukh Mandaviya has launched the Research Portal of the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER). India is the third-largest pharmaceutical manufacturing country and to make the research more purposeful and meaningful in the sector.
- This research portal was developed to disseminate information about all the NIPERs and their research activities, patents filed and publication information in one place.
The Lok Sabha Secretariat launches ‘Digital Sansad’ to make live proceedings accessible to citizens
- The Lok Sabha Secretariat has launched a new application, ‘Digital Sansad’, that will make it easier for people to follow proceedings in the Parliament and also their lawmakers.
- This application will also help members of Parliament access services such as checking personal updates like the status of their notices, House bulletins, etc.
IREDA is set to provide consultancy to Goa Shipyard for a solar power project
- State-owned Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA) inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Goa Shipyard to provide its techno-financial expertise to set up a rooftop solar power project.
- Under this MoU, IREDA will assist the Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) to set up a rooftop solar power project at the headquarters of GSL in Vasco da Gama, Goa.
- IREDA will also extend its techno-commercial expertise to GSL for Environmental & Social (E&S) due diligence of rooftop solar and other renewable energy projects as per the internationally accepted E&S standards.
Brihan Mumbai Municipal Corporation starts its public awareness campaign ‘SPARSH’ against leprosy
- Brihan Mumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) started ‘SPARSH’, a public awareness campaign, against leprosy under the National Leprosy Eradication Programme.
- BMC organised this exhibition in all its 24 administrative zones. It also carries out a door-to-door campaign to conduct a survey.
Maharashtra has the highest number of SC entrepreneurs in India: Office of the Development Commissioner
- According to the data furnished by the Office of the Development Commissioner in the Union Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, Maharashtra topped the number of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) owned by entrepreneurs from the Scheduled Castes covered under the Udyam system of registration in India with 96,805 enterprises.
- Maharashtra was followed by Tamil Nadu (42,997), Rajasthan (38,517), Uttar Pradesh (36,913), Karnataka (28,803) and Punjab (24,503).
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- National Parks: Chandoli National Park, Gugamal National Park, Nawegaon National Park, Pench (Jawaharlal Nehru) National Park, Sanjay Gandhi (Borivilli) National Park, Tadoba National Park
India and the ASEAN nations approve a digital work plan to combat the use of stolen mobile handsets
- India and the ASEAN nations have jointly approved a work plan under which they will develop a system to combat the use of stolen and counterfeit mobile handsets, among other things.
- This work plan was approved at the second ASEAN Digital Ministers’ (ADGMIN) Meeting with India. This meeting was co-chaired by ministers from India and Myanmar.
Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- Headquarters: Jakarta, Indonesia
- Founded: 8 August 1967
- Secretary-General: Lim Jock Hoi
- Chairman: Nguyen Xuan Phuc
Australia announces a billion-dollar package to protect the Great Barrier Reef
- Australia unveiled a billion-dollar package to protect the climate-ravaged Great Barrier Reef to prevent the vast network of corals from being removed from the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced the one-billion-Australian-dollar US$ 700 million nine-year plan, months after narrowly avoiding the Great Barrier Reef being placed on the UNESCO in the danger list.
- Capital: Canberra
- Currency: Australian Dollar
- Prime Minister: Scott Morrison
- Deputy Prime Minister: Barnaby Joyce
LIC Chairman M. R. Kumar’s term was extended by a year
- Union Government has extended the term of R. Kumar as the Chairman of the Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) by one more year till 13 March 2023. This is the second extension for M. R. Kumar, whose term was to end on 30 June 2021.
- The Union Government also extended the tenure of Raj Kumar as the Managing Director of LIC by a year beyond 31 January.
Acquisitions and Mergers
Bharti Airtel is set to acquire a 25 per cent equity stake in technology startup Lavelle Networks
- Bharti Airtel would acquire a 25 per cent equity stake in Bengaluru-based technology startup, Lavelle Networks, which specialises in Software-Defined Wide Area Network (SD-WAN) solutions.
- As part of its NaaS (Network as a Service) portfolio, Bharati Airtel will offer software-defined connectivity solutions from Lavelle Networks and co-create a host of innovations as part of its NaaS platform.
- This acquisition also aims to bring ‘Made in India’ products and solutions for enterprises by offering cutting-edge technology and cost efficiencies.
Padma Shri awardee Baba Iqbal Singh passed away at 96
- Social worker Baba Iqbal Singh passed away at the age of 96 in the Sirmaur district of Himachal Pradesh. He was the president of Kalgidhar Society/Trust and Chancellor of Eternal University. He was listed for receiving the 2022 Padma Shri for his social work.
India beat China to bag the bronze medal in the Hockey Women’s Asia Cup 2022
- Indian women’s hockey team defeated China (2-0) and won the bronze medal at the 2022 Asia Cup held in Muscat, Oman. Japan won its third title after defeating South Korea.
Ashleigh Barty becomes the first Australian in 44 years to win the women’s singles title at the Australian Open
- The 25-year-old Ashleigh Barty won the women’s singles title by defeating Danielle Collins in the Australian Open 2022. She became the first Australian in 44 years to win the women’s singles title at the Australian Open .
- She became the first Australian to win the Grand Slam event since Chris O’Neil captured the women’s title in 1978.
Rafael Nadal beats Daniil Medvedev in the Australian Open 2022 to win his record 21st Grand Slam title
- Rafael Nadal defeated Daniil Medvedev in the 2022 Australian Open men’s singles It is his 21st Grand Slam title.
- Rafael Nadel became the first-ever male player to win more than 20 Grand Slam titles in singles. He was followed by Roger Federer (20 Grand Slam title) and Novak Djokovic (20 Grand Slam title).
CSK becomes the first Indian sports establishment to gain unicorn status
- Chennai Super Kings (CSK) became the first Indian sports enterprise to gain unicorn status with its market capitalisation surpassing ₹7,600 crores and the share value in the market trading entering INR ₹ 210–225 price band.
- The franchise’s market cap went past its parent entity, India Cements. India Cements’ market cap was at ₹ 6,869 crores.
Magnus Carlsen beats Fabiano Caruana to clinch the 2022 Tata Steel Chess Masters title
- Magnus Carlsen defeated Fabiano Caruana to win a record eighth Tata Steel Masters title.
- Indian Grandmaster Arjun Erigaisi won the Tata Steel Challengers event after a draw with Thai Dai Van Nguyen of the Czech Republic.
Unnati Hooda and Kiran George win the 2022 Odisha Open titles
- Unnati Hooda became the youngest Indian to win an Super 100 tournament by defeating Smit Toshniwal in straight games to claim the women’s singles title in the 2022 Odisha Open.
- Kiran George won the men’s singles title by defeating Priyanshu Rajawat in the 2022 Odisha Open.
Daily CA January 30 and 31 Oneliner:
|Martyrs’ Day (India) – 30 January|
|World Leprosy Day – 30 January|
|Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses the thirtieth National Commission for Women’s foundation day programme|
|Union Minister Mansukh Mandaviya launched the NIPER research portal to facilitate research & innovation in the pharmaceutical sector|
|The Lok Sabha Secretariat launches ‘Digital Sansad’ to make live proceedings accessible to citizens|
|IREDA is set to provide consultancy to Goa Shipyard for a solar power project|
|Brihan Mumbai Municipal Corporation starts its public awareness campaign ‘SPARSH’ against leprosy|
|Maharashtra has the highest number of SC entrepreneurs in India: Office of the Development Commissioner|
|India and the ASEAN nations approve a digital work plan to combat the use of stolen mobile handsets|
|Australia announces a billion-dollar package to protect the Great Barrier Reef|
|LIC Chairman M. R. Kumar’s term was extended by a year|
|Bharti Airtel is set to acquire a 25 per cent equity stake in technology startup Lavelle Networks|
|Padma Shri awardee Baba Iqbal Singh passed away at 96|
|India beat China to bag the bronze medal in the Hockey Women’s Asia Cup 2022|
|Ashleigh Barty becomes the first Australian in 44 years to win the women’s singles title at the Australian Open|
|Rafael Nadal beats Daniil Medvedev in the Australian Open 2022 to win his record 21st Grand Slam title|
|CSK becomes the first Indian sports establishment to gain unicorn status|
|Magnus Carlsen beats Fabiano Caruana to clinch the 2022 Tata Steel Chess Masters title|
|Unnati Hooda and Kiran George win the 2022 Odisha Open titles|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of January 30 & 31, 2022, now from the link given below.