Daily Current Affairs: January 7, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (January 7, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
NDB extends $646 million loans for upgrading state highway & district road network in Andhra Pradesh
- Indian Government and Andhra Pradesh State Government signed a loan agreement of up to $323 million each with the New Development Bank (NDB) for the Andhra Pradesh Roads and Bridges Reconstruction Project, and the Andhra Pradesh Mandal Connectivity and Rural Connectivity Improvement Project.
- The projects are aimed at improving the mobility and connectivity to the socioeconomic centres, enhance transport efficiency, improve road safety and riding quality, and provide all-weather accessibility for the State’s road users.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park, Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
40th Indian scientific expedition to Antarctica flagged off from Mormugao Port, Goa
- The 40th Indian Scientific Expedition to Antarctica (ISEA) departed for the South Pole from Mormugao Port, Goa with 43 members on board. Indian Oil Director (Marketing) Gurmeet Singh and National Centre for Polar and Ocean Research (NCPOR) Director M Ravichandran flagged off the 40th
- The chartered ice-class vessel MV Vasiliy Golovnin has been chosen for the prestigious 40th Indian Scientific Expedition to Antarctica (ISEA) mission journey and will reach Antarctica in 30 days.
- Chief Minister: Pramod Sawant.
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari (Additional Charge).
Manipur CM N Biren Singh launches ‘mPension Manipur’ app to ease inconvenience faced by pensioners
- Chief Minister of Manipur N Biren Singh launched ‘mPension Manipur’ app, an online platform through which pensioners can do self-updation without visiting the Treasury Offices.
- The app has been introduced on which pensioners instead of visiting the Treasury Office can make their periodic photograph updation online through a smartphone or a desktop/laptop, from the comfort of their own homes.
- Capital: Imphal
- Chief Minister: Biren Singh
- Governor: Najma Heptulla.
Maharashtra celebrates Marathi Journalism day on January 6
- Marathi Journalism day is celebrated across Maharashtra on January 06 The day is observed to commemorate the birth anniversary (January 1832) of late thespian journalist Balshashtri Jambhekar. He is known as the “Father of Marathi Journalism” and started the first newspaper ‘Darpan’ and since then this day is being celebrated as the Marathi Journalism day in Maharashtra.
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray.
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath launches ‘Kisan Kalyan Mission’ to double farmers’ income
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched ‘Kisan Kalyan Mission’, an initiative dedicated to farmers’ welfare and growth, and reiterated his government’s resolve to double the income of farmers.
- It aims to help farmers in getting benefit from the various schemes of the Central Government such as Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sammann Nidhi (PMKSN), Kisan Credit Cards, and Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY).
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan (Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden.
Cabinet approves the signing of MoC between India and Japan on partnership in ‘Specified Skilled Workers’
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has approved the signing of a Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) between the Indian Government and the Japan government, on a basic framework for the partnership for proper operation of the system pertaining to “Specified Skilled Workers”.
- The MOC would enhance people-to-people contacts, foster mobility of workers and skilled professionals from India to Japan.
India joins the UN Security Council as a non-permanent member for 2021-22
- UN leaders and member states welcomed India, Ireland, Kenya, Mexico, and Norway to the UN Security Council. The flags of the five new non-permanent UNSC members were installed at the Security Council during a solemn ceremony organised by the Kazakhstan Mission to the UN. They will be in the Council for 2021-22
- India assumes the membership of the Security Council for the eighth time.
Banking and Economy
RBI allows the LEI system up to Rs. 50 crore and above using RTGS and NEFT from April 01, 2021
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to make the Legal Entity Identifier (LEI) system for all payment transactions of value 50 crores and above undertaken by entities (non-individuals) using the Reserve Bank-run Centralised Payment Systems (CPS) via Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) and National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) from April 1, 2021. The 20-digit LEI number is used to uniquely identify parties to financial transactions worldwide.
RBI operationalises PIDF scheme to boost digital payments in lower-tier cities
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has unveiled a 345 crore Payments Infrastructure Development Fund (PIDF), aimed at boosting digital payments in Tier III to VI centres.
- An advisory council (AC) under the RBI Deputy Governor BP Kanungo has been constituted for managing the fund. It will be operational for 3 years effective from January 1, 2021, and maybe extended for 2 more years.
SMCB becomes India’s first urban co-operative bank to transition to a Small Finance Bank
- Shivalik Mercantile Co-operative Bank (SMCB) is the first Urban Co-operative Bank (UCB) in India to transition to a Small Finance Bank (SFB) under the voluntary transition scheme. The bank has received the commercial banking license from the banking regulator the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- The 22-year-old Shivalik Small Finance Bank (SSFB) will start its banking operations from April 2021. SMCB is the first and largest multi-state Urban Cooperative Bank in Uttar Pradesh.
Acquisitions and Mergers
Bandhan Bank signs an agreement to provide banking services to Army personnel
- Kolkata-based private lender Bandhan Bank has signed an agreement with the Indian Army to provide banking services to the personnel of the force. Bandhan Bank Shaurya Salary Account will have zero balance facility with 6% interest on balance above 1 lakh, unlimited free ATM transactions, waiver of issuance & annual charge on Shaurya VISA platinum debit card, offers protection for self & assets, etc.
- Headquarters: Kolkata.
- CEO: Chandra Shekhar Ghosh.
- Tagline: “Aapka Bhala, Sabki Bhalai”.
Axis Bank ties up with Hyundai Motor India for auto retail financing
- Private lender Axis Bank has tied up with Korean carmaker Hyundai Motor India for auto-retail financing. Through this partnership, Axis Bank will allow Hyundai Motor India Ltd. customers to get an auto loan sanctioned directly on the carmaker’s end-to-end online retail platform ”Click to Buy” (CTB).
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- MD & CEO: Amitabh Chaudhry.
- Tagline: “Badhti Ka Naam Zindagi”.
Bank of Baroda inks an MoU with SIDBI to help MSMEs apply online for one-time restructuring
- Bank of Baroda (BoB) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) to enable MSMEs (micro, small and medium enterprises) apply online for a one-time restructuring (OTR).
- MSME customers of the bank can now access SIDBI’s DIY (Do-It-Yourself) web-based portal, ‘Asset Restructuring Module for MSMEs (ARM-MSME)’, which enables customers to self-create their restructuring proposal with financial viability projections.
Bank of Baroda (BOB)
- Headquarters: Baroda (Vadodara), Gujarat
- MD & CEO: Sanjiv Chadha.
- Chairman: Hasmukh Adhia
- Tagline: “India’s International Bank”.
Science and Technology
Japan to launch the first wood-based satellite by 2023 to reduce space debris
- Japan’s Sumitomo Forestry company and Kyoto University aims to launch the world’s first wood-based space satellite to combat the problem of space junk. The first satellite is scheduled to be launched in 2023. This unique initiative aims to combat the growing problem of space debris or space junk.
Faustin-Archange Touadera wins 2nd term as the President of the Central African Republic
- Faustin-Archange Touadera has won a second term as the President of the Central African Republic. The 63-year-old President has been in power since 2016 but has struggled to seize control of vast parts of the nation from armed militias. He was re-elected with more than 53% votes.
The central African Republic
- Capital: Bangui
- Currency: Central African CFA franc
India sets up High-Level Group headed by Ram Vinay Shahi for South Asian energy security
- The Government of India has set up a high-level group “South Asia Group for Energy (SAGE)” headed by former Union power secretary Ram Vinay Shahi for enhancing the development of South Asia-focused energy security architecture.
- The high-level group has been set up under the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) run think-tank Research and Information System (RIS) for Developing Countries.
Ashish Pethe is elected as the new Chairman of GJC; Saiyam Mehra elected as the Vice-Chairman
- The All India Gem & Jewellery Domestic Council (GJC) has appointed Ashish Pethe as the Chairman, and Saiyam Mehra as its Vice Chairman for a period of two years.
- GJC is the national apex body of the gems and jewellery industry and has its headquarters in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Former India striker Abhishek Yadav appointed as AIFF’s first Deputy General Secretary
- Former India striker Abhishek Yadav has been appointed as the First Deputy General Secretary of the All India Football Federation (AIFF) after the sports body decided to create a new post in its hierarchy.
- The 40-year-old former international player, who has played with Bhaichung Bhutia, Sunil Chhetri, Mahesh Gawli, and Climax Lawrence, has been serving as the national team’s Director since January 2018.
All India Football Federation (AIFF):
- President: Praful Patel
- Founded: 23 June 1937
- Headquarters: Dwarka, Delhi
Awards and Recognitions
Patna Meteorological Observatory gets centennial observing station status by the World Metrological Organisation
- The World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) in Geneva has awarded the status of ‘centennial observing station’ to the Patna meteorological observatory in recognition to its long-term meteorological observation over 100 years.
- The decision was taken in WMO’s 72nd executive council meeting held in September. The 154-year-old Patna Observatory is among the earliest observatories set up in 1867 by the then British Corps of Engineers.
Books and Authors
Ravi Shastri unveils a book titled “India’s 71-Year Test: The Journey to Triumph in Australia”
- Former Indian all-rounder and current head coach Ravi Shastri launched a new book by the Bradman Museum called ‘India’s 71-Year Test: The Journey to Triumph in Australia’, at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
- The book, authored by cricket journalist R Kaushik, describes India’s first 12 tours to Australia, uncovering the shaping up of the rivalry between the two nations which has been majorly dominated by the hosts.
Former Mali Prime Minister Modibo Keita passed away at 78
- Former-Malian Prime Minister Modibo Keita passed away. He served as the Prime Minister from 2015 to 2017. He was one of the six prime ministers to serve under President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita, who was ousted in a coup in August 2020.
Legendary Australian Tennis Coach Bob Brett passed away at 67
- Renowned Australian tennis coach Bob Brett has died at the age of 67. Bob received a top award for his contribution to the sport from the ATP in November 2020. He coached German Boris Becker from November 1987 to February 1991.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of January 7, 2021, now from the link given below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.