Daily Current Affairs : January 8, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (January 8, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
Rajnath Singh inaugurates 3-day National Traders Convention in Delhi
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh today said NDA government is committed to protect the interests of traders and to promote ease of doing business.
- The convention has been organised by Confederation of All India Traders and will deliberate upon various issues concerning traders.
Home Minister lays foundation stone of Delhi Cycle Walk
- Union Home Minister has laid the foundation stone of Delhi Cycle Walk project.
- The project will be installed at Tughlakabad in the National Capital New Delhi.
- The project aims to make the city most walkable and environment friendly. Delhi Cycle Walk will have network of over 220 km.
- This cycle walk will cover abundant forests, dense residential areas and workplaces in close proximity in the city.
President Kovind lays foundation stone to Lakshadweep’s first Super Specialty Hospital at Kavaratti
- President Ram Nath Kovind laid foundation stone to Lakshadweep’s first Super Specialty Hospital at Kavaratti.
- President who is on two days visit to the union territory assured special focus for the development of Lakshadweep and directed Lakshadweep Administrator to give special attention for the completion of Super Specialty Hospital.
First-ever Antar-rashtriya Yoga Diwas Media awards presented to 30 media houses for promoting Yoga
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar today conferred the first Antarrashtriya Yoga Diwas Media Samman to 30 media houses in New Delhi.
- The Ministry had instituted the award in June last year to mark the contribution of media in spreading the message of Yoga. It acknowledged the positive role and responsibility of the media in disseminating the outreach of Yoga in India and abroad.
12th naval exercise ‘Naseem-Al-Bahr’ between India and Oman held in Goa
- 2 ships of the Royal Navy of Oman (RNO) arrived at Mormugao Port in Goa to participate in the 12th edition of the Indo-Oman bilateral naval exercise ‘Naseem-Al-Bahr‘.
- The meaning of the biennial exercise Naseem-Al-Bahr that has been conducted since 1993 between India and Oman is sea breeze.
Union Minister of Commerce and Industries inaugurates NSE Knowledge Hub
- The Union Minister of Commerce and Industries inaugurated the National Stock Exchange (NSE) Knowledge Hub in New Delhi.
- The National Stock Exchange (NSE) Knowledge Hub is an Artificial Intelligence (AI) powered learning ecosystem that will assist the banking, financial services and insurance (BFSI) sector.
- The Knowledge Hub will fill in these gaps and help the financial sector to move into the future.
India’s GDP growth rate for 2019-20 estimated at 5%, says NSO
- Indian economy is estimated to grow at 5 per cent in 2019-20 as against 6.8 per cent in the previous fiscal.
- According to the first advanced estimates of the national income released by National Statistical Office (NSO), the decline has been mainly on account of deceleration in manufacturing sector growth, which is expected to come down to 2 per cent in 2019-20 from 6.2 per cent in the year-ago fiscal.
Nitin Gadkari asserts to create Rs 50,000-crore ethanol economy
- Union Minister for Road Transport Nitin Gadkari asserted that he wants to create a 50,000-crore rupees ethanol economy.
- Addressing an event in Pune, Mr Gadkari said, the biofuel will benefit both ecology and economy.
Navigation facilities for visually impaired inaugurated at Chandigarh railway station
- Navigation facilities for visually impaired were inaugurated at Chandigarh railway station in Punjab yesterday.
- This facility has been introduced by the Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation through NGO ‘Anuprayaas’.
- Chandigarh is fifth Railway station in the country and first in North India to have this facility.
- This step will help visually impaired passengers to know about the passenger amenities at the Chandigarh Railway Station
UAE Cabinet approves issuance of 5-Year multi-entry tourist visa
- UAE Cabinet has approved the issuance of a five-year multi-entry tourist visa for all nationalities visiting the country.
- The decision was made during the Cabinet’s first meeting of 2020.
- The move comes in a bid to support the UAE’s tourism economy and affirm the country’s position as a global tourist destination.
Booth App to be used in 11 Assembly Constituencies in upcoming Delhi Elections
- Delhi Chief Electoral Officer Ranbir Singh has said that booth app will be used in 11 Assembly Constituencies in the national capital during the Assembly polls next month.
- Talking exclusively to AIR News Ranbir Singh said one constituency will be selected.
- Photo Voter Slips will be issued and after scanning the QR code at the polling booth.
Gujarat to set up Vikram Sarabhai Children Innovation Center
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has announced the setting up of the Vikram Sarabhai Children Innovation Center (VSCIC) to identify, nurture and promote children’s innovation in the state.
- He was speaking during the felicitation ceremony of Children’s Innovation Festival (CIF) held at Swarnim Sankul in Gandhinagar.
- Children’s Innovation Festival – CIF has been organized by Gujarat University Start-ups and Entrepreneurship Council (GUSEC) – an incubation centre set up by Gujarat University in partnership with UNICEF.
- CIF initiative was conceptualized to identify, nurture and support children’s innovations in the state.
West Bengal Govt to provide insurance coverage of Rs 5 lakh to Ganga Sagar pilgrims
- West Bengal Government will provide insurance coverage of five lakh rupees each to the Ganga Sagar pilgrims.
- Announcing this, the State Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said that the administration has done necessary arrangements for drinking water supply and accommodation facilities for the devotees.
- Ms. Banerjee reviewed the preparedness of Ganga Sagar Mela at an administrative meeting at Kakdweep in South 24 Parganas district.
1st tri-dimensional expedition ‘Maha-Navy Connect 2020’ launched by Indian Navy in Maharashtra
- First tri-dimensional expedition ‘Maha-Navy Connect 2020’ was launched by Indian Navy in Mumbai.
- It aims to promote the heritage of Indian Navy and to spread awareness about Coastal Security amongst the coastal communities in Maharashtra.
Lieutenant General P N Hoon passes away
- Lieutenant General Hoon served India with utmost dedication and contributed significantly towards making the nation stronger and more secure. He said, his thoughts are with his family and friends in this sad hour.
1966 World Cup goalkeeper Tilkowski of Germany passed away at the age of 84
- Former West Germany football Goalkeeper Hans Tilkowski passed away at the age of 84 due to old age ailments.
- He played in the 1996 world cup against England. He was born in Dortmund-Husen, Germany.
Padma Bhushan artist Akbar Padamsee passes away at 91
- Painter and artist Akbar Padamsee, 91 years old, died at the Isha Yoga Ashram near Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- Art Icon Padamsee was born on 12 April 1928 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Former DG CRPF Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar appointed as Advisor to J&K LG
- Former Director General of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar has been appointed as Advisor to the Lieutenant Governor of Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
Bhubaneswar to host 1st edition of Khelo India University Games from Feb 22 to March 1
- First edition of Khelo India University Games is scheduled to be held at the KIIT University in Bhubaneswar from February 22nd to March 1st.
- The launching ceremony of the event was held at Bhubaneswar.
- Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju and Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik unveiled the logo and jersey of Khelo India University Games.
- Mr Naveen Patnaik said he is delighted to announce the first edition of the Khelo India University Games at Bhubaneswar, a city which has gained the repute of being the Sports Capital of India.
- The sports minister Mr. Kiren Rijiju who was the chief guest in the function said Khelo India University Games is yet another empowering initiative of Government of India.
Leo Carter becomes 7th cricketer to hit six 6s in an over
- New Zealand‘s batsman Leo Carter has become the seventh batsman in the history of cricket to smash six 6s in an over.
- He achieved the feat in New Zealand’s domestic T20 tournament Super Smash.
- Representing Canterbury, he smashed Knight’s bowler Anton Devcich for six 6s in the 16th over of the innings.
- Other 6 players who have achieved the feat are: Gary Sobers (West Indies), Ravi Shastri (India), Herschelle Gibbs (South Africa), Yuvraj Singh (India), Ross Whiteley (England) and Hazratullah Zazai (Afghanistan).
- When it comes to T20 cricket, Carter is just the fourth batsman to achieve the feat.
- Yuvraj is the only batsman to have scored six 6s in an international T20I.
P Magesh Chandran lifts 95th Hastings International Chess title
- India’s P Magesh Chandran lifted the title in the 95th edition of the prestigious Hastings International Chess Congress at Hastings in England.
- He remained unbeaten in all the nine rounds.
- The 36-year old Grand Master with a FIDE rating of 2479, finished in clear first place with 7.5 points from nine games after securing a 33-move draw in the final round yesterday against compatriot G A Stany, also a Grand Master.
- He beat fellow Indian GM Deep Sengupta in the eighth round.
Leh-Ladakh: Both Boys, Girls teams win 5th IHAI National Ice Hockey Championship 2020
- Leh-Ladakh, the home teams won the 5th Ice Hockey Association of India (IHAI) National Ice Hockey Championship -2020 in both Boys and Girls categories.
- Ladakh Scouts Regiment Centre (LSRC) won the bronze medal, in Under-20 Boys category.
- Maharashtra girls stood 3rd in the championship.
- IHAI Secretary Harjinder Singh said that Ice Hockey National teams will be shortlisted from the Championship and teams will be selected after a coaching and conditioning camp.
- The Under-20 boys will be playing Asia Challenge Cup between 10th and 15th of next month in Thailand. Girls will play in the Asian Championship between 23rd and 28th of next month in the Philippines.