Daily Current Affairs : January 9 & 10, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (January 9 & 10, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
16th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas: 9 January
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) is celebrated on 9th January every year.
- This year the 16th edition of Pravasi Bhartiya Divas is celebrated across the country.
- The day is celebrated every year to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community in the development of India.
- It also commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to India on 9 January 1915. The Pravasi Bharatiya Divas conventions established in 2003. The celebratory event is organised by the Ministry of External Affairs every year.
The 4th edition of ‘Buxa Bird Festival’ has started in Buxa National Park in West Bengal’s, district Alipurduar
- The fourth ‘Buxa Bird Festival‘ has begun in Buxa National Park in West Bengal’s Alipurduar district, officials said.
- Over 50 birdwatchers from across the country and abroad have registered for the 2020 edition of the four-day festival that began on Monday, Ujjwal Ghosh, Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife), north Bengal said.
- “More than 300 rare species including the Great Hornbill, Sultan Tit and Greater Spotted Eagle visit the national park during this period,” Ghosh said.
Census India-2021 to begin on 1st April; To be conducted through mobile app:
- Census India-2021 will begin on 1st of April this year and will end on 30th of September. Census India-2021 will be conducted through a mobile phone application, moving away from the traditional pen and paper.
- Enumerators of the census will seek the information of mobile number of the head of the family, information related to toilets, TV, Internet, vehicles owned, source of drinking water besides asking other questions during the house listing phase of the exercise.
India hosts 5th Asia Pacific drosophila research conference in Pune
- The 5th edition of the Asia Pacific Drosophila Research Conference (APDRC5) held in Pune, Maharashtra.
- The conference is being conducted in India for the 1st time and it is organised by the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER).
- The Asia Pacific Drosophila Research Conferences (APDRC) are biennial events that aim to promote the interaction of Drosophila Researchers in the Asia-Pacific region with their peers in the rest of the world.
- The fliers of the last four APDRCs below give a glimpse of these meetings.
Indian embassies celebrated Pravasi Bhartiya Diwas
- Indian embassies in different countries celebrated Pravasi Bhartiya Diwas yesterday.
- In Bangladesh, a large number of expatriate Indians participated in the programme organized by High Commission of India in Dhaka.
- Addressing the gathering, High Commissioner Riva Ganguly Das said that the government attaches high priority to provide services to the diaspora community living in various countries.
Maharashtra CM to inaugrates “Advantage Maharashtra expo 2020”
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray will inaugurate “Advantage Maharashtra expo 2020” in Aurangabad.
- The Exhibition has been organised by the Marathwada Association of Small Scale Industries and Agriculture (MASSIA).
- Growth of Marathwada industries in technology and innovation and the products produced and exported from the region will be showcased in this exhibition.This exhibition will provide an opportunity for businesses and will serve the platform for small entrepreneurs.
Forbes 20 people to watch in the 2020s
- Kanhaiya Kumar, Prashant Kishor, and Mahua Moitra have found a place in the Forbes’ list of people to watch in the 2020s.
- Forbes India recently published this list that included the names of politicians, entrepreneurs, entertainers, and sportspersons.
- The list was topped by Hasan Minhaj who is the American comedian and political commentator.
- Prashant Kishor and Kanhaiya Kumar are the biggest names of the list.
- Kanhaiya ranked 12th in this list and Prashant is ranked 16th.
- The magazine has named Kanhaiya Kumar, former president of JNU Students Union and JDU strategist Prashant Kishor, as the influential face of the coming decade.
Three Kerala cities in the world’s fastest-growing cities’ list
- According to the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), Malappuram (India) city ranks first among the top 10 fastest-growing urban areas in the world.
- Kerala’s Kozhikode has been ranked number 4; Kollam is in the tenth position. Vietnam’s Can Tho is in the second position while China’s three cities (Suqian, Putian, and Suzhou) have included in the list.
Serena Williams donates signed dress to Australian bushfire appeal:
- A signed dress worn by Serena Williams at her first tournament of the year is being auctioned off to raise funds for firefighters tackling Australia’s unprecedented bushfire emergency.
- Williams, who is preparing for this month’s Australian Open at the WTA Auckland Classic, joins a slate of sports stars from around the world who have stumped up memorabilia and cash to help pay for firefighting efforts.
India listed as 5th biggest Geo-political Risk of 2020
- India under Narendra Modi is the fifth biggest geopolitical risk of 2020, said Eurasia Group, world’s leading political risk consultancy.
- It was topped by US Brexit issue (Rigged! : Who Governs the US). Eurasia’s annual ‘Top 10 Risks’ of the year list is considered one of the foremost geopolitical indicators among global investors, multinational firms and various financial and business consultancies.
- “Prime Minister Narendra Modi has spent much of his second term promoting controversial social policies at the expense of an economic agenda.
- The impacts will be felt in 2020, with intensified communal and sectarian instability, as well as foreign policy and economic setbacks,” reads the Eurasia Group’s report.
Iran designate US armed forces and Pentagon as ‘terrorist entities’:
- The Iranian parliament today approved a triple-urgency bill which designates the US army and the Pentagon as a terrorist entity.
- The Bill further requires the government to allocate 200 million euro to the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Quds Force to take revenge for the US killing of Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani.
- Iran’s IRGC’s Quds Force Commander General Soleimani and Iraq’s Popular Forces Commander Abu Mahdi al-Modandis, as well as eight other military men, were killed by the US Army.
- 233 MPs repeated the words of the speaker, Ali Larijani, warning US President Donald Trump to await the consequences of his actions. Majlis also discussed the bill about taking an action against US attack. The Supreme Leader has called for proportionate military action against the US interests in response to the killing of Iranian Commander in Baghdad.
2nd phase US-China trade deal to begin promptly but outcome may wait until after this year’s elections: Prez Trump
- US President Donald Trump has said that negotiations for the second phase of a pending US-China trade deal will begin promptly but the outcome may wait until after this year’s elections.
- Mr Trump’s remarks come days before Beijing’s trade envoy is due in Washington to sign a phase one agreement, marking a pause in the two sides’ nearly two-year trade war.
2 Indian banks to end their operations in Sri Lanka
- The two Indian private sector lenders Axis Bank and ICICI Bank to close their operations in Sri Lanka after the Central Bank of Sri Lanka has permitted.
- The licenses issued by Central Bank of Sri Lanka will be cancelled once the winding-up operations are complete. The two banks are no longer to carry their banking operations, including accepting deposits from the public in Sri Lanka.
NSO projects India’s GDP growth rate for 2019-20 at 5%:
- National Statistical Office (NSO) projects India’s GDP growth rate for 2019-20 at 5%.
- The decline has been mainly on account of deceleration in manufacturing sector growth, which is expected to come down to 2 per cent in 2019-20 from 6.2 per cent in the year-ago fiscal.
Deutsche Bank projects India’s economy to reach $7 trillion by 2030
- By 2030, India is about to grow two and half times to $7 trillion from about $3 trillion now to become the world’s third-largest economy, says a research report.
- Deutsche Bank in its research report ‘Imagine 2030’ said that a nominal GDP (gross domestic product) growth is likely to average just over 10 percent through the next decade.
SBI has announced RBBG scheme
- The State Bank of India has announced ‘residential builder finance with buyer guarantee’ (RBBG) scheme which was implemented by RBI.
- The aim of the scheme is to giving a push to residential sales and improve homebuyers’ confidence.
- The SBI will issue a guarantee for completion of select residential projects to customers who have availed home loans from it.
- The scheme will focus on affordable housing projects priced up to 2.50 crore rupees in 10 cities initially.
- Under this scheme, the guarantee would be given by the bank until the project gets the occupation certificate (OC).
APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNS
Judge Archana Rao and Judge Deepa Ambedkar have been appointed as judges to criminal and civil courts
- Two Indian origin women, Judge Archana Rao and Judge Deepa Ambedkar have been appointed as judges to criminal and civil courts of New York.
- The judges were appointed by New York mayor Bill de Blasio.
- Judge Archana Rao is appointed to criminal court of New York and Judge Deepa Ambedkar is appointed to civil court in New York.
A Sakthivel appointed as the new chairman of AEPC India:
- A Sakthivel has been appointed as the new chairman of Apparel Export Promotion Council of India (AEPC) for the period 2020-21.
- He will replace HKL Magu.
Jasbinder Bilan wins 2019 Costa Children’s Award:
- Indian-origin Jasbinder Bilan has been conferred the UK’s famous Costa Children’s Award 2019. He has won the award for his debut novel ‘Asha and the Spirit Bird’.
- Under the award, Billon will receive a sum of £ 5000.
- Jasbinder’s novel “Asha and the Spirit Bird” was chosen from 144 other books.
- The Costa Children Award is conferred annually in 5 categories: first novel, novel, biography, poetry and children’s book.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Gaganyaan menu released by DRDO
- Defence Food Research Laboratory (DFRL) has recently released food items that will be part of the space menu of Gaganyaan.
- DFRL prepared a list of items for astronauts of Gaganyaan including – vegetable rolls, egg rolls, idli sambhar, upma, vegetable pulao, and Moong Dal Halwa. Gaganyaan’s menu has been prepared by the DFRL, Mysore. The crew will also have a food heater to warm their meals.
Italian Veteran footballer Daniele De Rossi announced his retirement:
- Veteran former Italy international Daniele De Rossi announced his retirement from football on Monday, just six months after joining Argentine giants Boca Juniors.
- De Rossi spent 18 years at Roma before leaving the club at the end of last season.
- He played 117 times for Italy from 2004-17 and won the World Cup in 2006.
‘Karmayoddha Granth’: A book on the life of PM Narendra Modi launched:
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah released a book ‘Karmayoddha Granth’ on the life of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- A ‘Karmayoddha’ is a man with a beating heart for people, a statesman, a hard taskmaster, an able administrator and an ideal leader who leads by example. All these qualities have been personified by Narendra Modi.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of January 9 & 10, 2019 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 6 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.