DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Jul 17, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Jul 17 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Day for International Justice-17 July:
- International Justice is observed on July 17. It is celebrated on this day as it commemorates the historic adoption of the Rome Statute in the year 1998. The day is observed to give recognition to the emerging system of international criminal justice.
Union Shipping Minister flags off first container ship from Kolkata Port to Agartala via Chattogram port:
- Union Minister Mansukh Mandaviya flagged off the first trial container ship from Kolkata to Agartala through Chattogram Port of Bangladesh under the agreement on use of Chattogram and Mongla Ports for movement of India’s transit cargo through Bangladesh.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Taka
- Prime minister: Sheikh Hasina
- President: Abdul Hamid
Telangana Police Launch ‘CybHER’ Campaign To Tackle Cybercrime Against Wome and Children:
- Telangana Police launched a month-long virtual awareness campaign ‘CybHER’ in the wake of cybercrime against the women and children in the state.
- Swati Lakra, Additional DGP Incharge of Women Safety including ‘SHE Teams’ and ‘Bharosa’ for Telangana, “Women Safety Wing, Telangana Police has launched ‘CybHER’ campaign today, to make cyberspace safe for women and children.”
- Chief Minister:K. Chandrashekar Rao
- National Parks(NP):KasuBrahmananda Reddy NP, Mahaveer Harina NP, Mrugavani NP.
Tourism Ministry inaugurates ‘Development of Pilgrimage Amenities at Somnath, Gujarat’ under Prashad scheme:
- Tourism Ministry inaugurated the ‘Development of Pilgrimage Amenities at Somnath’ Sanctioned under the PRASHAD (Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive) scheme, it is completed with the cost of Rs. 45.36 crores.
Indian Council of Agricultural Research celebrates its 92nd Foundation Day:
- ICAR celebrated its 92nd foundation day on 16 July. It is an autonomous organization under the Department of Agricultural Research & Education (DARE). It was established on 16 July 1929 as a registered society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services, Hyderabad observes Swachhata Pakhwada:
- Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS), Hyderabad is a globally recognized autonomous institution under Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India.
- The Centre provides free dedicated ocean information services to the Nation, using state-of-the-art technology and research, for increasing Safety and Profit.
Madhya Pradesh approves proposal to provide monthly financial assistance of Rs 5,000 to acid attack victims:
- Madhya Pradesh government approved a proposal to provide monthly financial assistance of Rs 5,000 to the acid attack victims in the state. Prem Singh Patel, who has taken charge as the Minister for Social Justice, Divyang Welfare and Animal Husbandry, cleared the proposal during a meeting held with officials.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
Union HRD Minister launches the first on-line NISHTHA programme for Andhra Pradesh:
- 1st on-line NISHTHA (National Initiative for School Heads & Teachers) programme for 1200 Key Resources Persons of Andhra Pradesh was launched by Union HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriya ‘Nishank’ & Minister of State for HRD Sanjay Dhotre virtually in New Delhi.
India & EU agree to renew Agreement S&T Co-operation for 5 years:
- India and European Union agreed to renew the Agreement on Scientific cooperation for the next five years, 2020-2025. PM Modi, European Council President Charles Michel & President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen were participated in the summit.
India in partnership with Chile & UN’s FAO Co-Hosted Event, “On the road to the International Year of Fruits and Vegetables 2021:
- India partnered with Chile & Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations (UN) co-hosted the “On the road to the International Year of Fruits and Vegetables 2021: Highlighting health and nutritional benefits through sustainable production and consumption of fruits and vegetables”, side event of 2020 High-level Political forum.
- Chile had championed to declare the year 2021 as an International Year of Fruits and Vegetables’ by UN General Assembly in 2019.
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO):
- Director-General: QU Dongyu
- Headquarters: Rome, Italy
Banking and Economy:
Government aims to increase public health expenditure to 2.5% of GDP by 2025:
- Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan highlighted that the government aims at gradually increasing the public health expenditure to 2.5 per cent of the nation’s GDP by the year 2025. The National Health Policy 2017 anticipates to raise public health spending to 2.5% of GDP by 2025.
IndusInd Bank Adopts Agile Technology Platform For Deeper Customer Engagement:
- IndusInd Bank announced successful integration with a leading enterprise solution provider which will simplify the process of customer on-boarding, introduce new products and meet customer demands by automating and customizing processes to fit the modern-day financial
Acquisitions & Mergers
CSL signs contract for construction of Autonomous electric vessels for ASKO maritime AS, Norway:
- Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL), Kochi signed contracts for construction and supply of Two numbers Autonomous Electric Ferry for ASKO Maritime AS, Norway with an option to build 2 more identical vessels. CSL is the largest commercial shipbuilder in India.
NTPC enters pact with NIIF to explore business opportunities in India:
- NTPC under the Power ministry has entered into a MoU with NIIF, acting through National Investment & Infrastructure Fund Ltd, to explore opportunities for investments in areas like renewable energy, power distribution among other areas of mutual interest.
Appointments and Resignations:
Ashwini Kumar Tewari appointed as the new SBI Cards MD & CEO:
- SBI cards and Payment Services has named Ashwini Kumar Tewari as its new Managing Director and chief executive officer. He was nominated by parent State Bank of India for the position and his appointment will come into effect from August 1, 2020. The new appointment will be valid for two years.
Tunisian Prime Minister Elyes Fakhfakh Resigns:
- Tunisian Prime Minister Elyes Fakhfakh resigned, who was appointed in January, 2020. He presented his resignation letter to President Kais Saied. He also served as a Minister of Tourism and as the Minister of Finance. He is a member of Democratic Forum for Labour and Liberties (referred to as Ettakatol).
- Capital: Tunis
- Currency: Tunisian Dinar
- President: Kais Saied
Science and Technology:
China successfully launches APSTAR-6D telecommunication satellite:
- APSTAR-6D telecommunication satellite was launched via a Long March 3B carrier rocket from Xichang Satellite Launch Center.
- APSTAR-6D is designed and manufactured by the China Academy of Space Technology (CAST), a subsidiary of China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC).
FIFA World Cup 2022 schedule announced:
- FIFA World Cup 2022 will have four games every day in a 12-day group stage and matches later in the tournament that go into extra time will extend past midnight in Qatar.
- FIFA released the schedule for the first World Cup to be played in November and December, with kickoff times at 00:30 am IST, 3:30 pm IST, 6:30 pm IST and 9:30 pm IST.
IOC Postpones Dakar 2022 Youth Olympic Games To 2026 Due To COVID-19 Pandemic:
- Senegal and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) have mutually agreed to postpone the Dakar 2022 Youth Olympic Games (YOG) to 2026 due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
- Senegal President Macky Sall’s proposal was welcomed by IOC president Thomas Bach, following in-depth discussions on the subject.
- Capital: Dakar
- Currency: West African CFA franc
- President: Macky Sall
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.