Daily Current Affairs: July 03, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (July 03, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Plastic Bag Free Day – 3 July
- The International Plastic Bag Free Day is observed on 3 July every year. This day is observed to raise awareness about the grave issues of plastic pollution and the serious threat that it poses to the natural environment ranging from land to marine life.
International Co-operative Day 2021 – 3 July
- International Co-operative Day is observed on the first Saturday in July since 1923. It falls on 3 July this year (2021). This day aims to raise awareness of cooperatives and promote the movement’s successes and ideals of international solidarity, economic efficiency, equality and world peace.
- This day was declared by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in 1995.
- 2021 Theme: “Rebuild better together”
FIEO signs an MoU with Aramex India to support MSME exporters in India
- Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Aramex India to support Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) exporters in India.
- Under this MoU, Aramex India will provide preferential pricing to FIEO members as well as access to online services for cross-border express shipments.
Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO):
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- Director-General and CEO: Ajay Sahai
- President: Sharad Kumar Saraf
India expects to add 26 GW hydropower projects by 2030: IEA Report
- According to the International Energy Agency (IEA) Report, India is expected to add 26,000 MW (megawatt) of hydropower projects by 2030. Currently, the installed capacity of the 207 hydropower projects running in India is 46,209 MW. More than 9,000 MW of large hydro projects are under construction.
- The Union Government has recently approved the 210 MW Luhri Stage-I hydroelectric project in Himachal Pradesh and an 850 MW Ratle hydroelectric project on the Chenab River in Jammu and Kashmir.
India joins the OECD-G20’s ‘Inclusive Framework’ tax deal
- India and the majority members of the OECD/G20 Inclusive Framework on Base Erosion and Profit Shifting adopted a high-level statement outlining a consensus solution to address tax challenges arising from the digitalisation of the economy.
- The proposed solution consists of two components — Pillar One which is about reallocation of an additional share of profit to the market jurisdictions and Pillar Two consisting of minimum tax and subject to tax rules.
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- Headquarters: Paris, France
- Secretary-General: José Ángel Gurría Treviño
- Founded: 30 September 1961
Union Minister Prahlad Singh Patel hosts the 6th meeting of the BRICS Culture Ministers virtually
- Union Minister of State (I//C) for Culture and Tourism Prahlad Singh Patel hosted the 6th BRICS Culture Ministers’ Meeting through video conference.
- The delegates from Culture Ministries of the Federative Republic of Brazil, the Russian Federation, the Republic of India, the People’s Republic of China and the Republic of South Africa participated in the meeting.
- Established: 2009
- Member Countries: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa
- 2021 Chairperson: India
Banking and Economy
Life Insurance Corporation of India launches “Saral Pension” plan
- The Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has launched its “Saral Pension”, an individual immediate annuity plan. An annuity is a financial product that makes regular payments to its buyer as per the agreed terms and conditions.
- LIC Saral Pension is a non-linked, non-participating plan. The buyer needs to buy this annuity with a single premium, after which the annuity begins.
Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Founded: 1 September 1956
- Chairman: MR Kumar
Eroute Technologies launches a prepaid card named “OmniCard” aimed at youngsters
- Eroute Technologies, a fintech in the payments space, has launched “OmniCard”, a prepaid card aimed at youngsters (aged between 15–24 years).
- This is the first prepaid instrument to be launched after the RBI allowed more features to be built into prepaid cards, bringing them on a par with payment banks.
Science and Technology
Hyderabad based Grene Robotics develops India’s 1st indigenous drone defence dome ‘Indrajaal’
- Hyderabad-based technology R&D firm Grene Robotics has designed and developed India’s first indigenous drone defence dome called “Indrajaal”.
- The drone defence dome can autonomously protect an area of 1000–2000 sq. km against aerial threats by assessing and acting on aerial threats such as Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), loitering munitions and low- Radar Cross Section (RCS) targets.
Appointments and Resignations
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Tirath Singh Rawat resigns
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Tirath Singh Rawat tendered his resignation to Uttarakhand Governor Baby Rani Maurya. He replaced Trivendra Singh Rawat as the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand on March 2021.
- Capital: Dehradun
- Governor: Baby Rani Maurya
- National Parks: Corbett National Park, Gangotri National Park, Govind Pashu Vihar National Park, Nanda Devi National Park, Rajaji National Park, Valley of Flowers National Park
Awards and Recognitions
Emilio Flores Márquez of Puerto Rico was named as the world’s oldest man living at 112
- Puerto Rico’s Emilio Flores Márquez was named by the Guinness World Records as the world’s oldest person living (male) with a confirmed age of 112 years and 326 days, as of July 2021.
- The oldest person living (female) is Kane Tanaka (Japan). Her record was confirmed at the age of 117 years and 41 days on 12 February 2020. She is now aged 118 years and 179 days (as of July 2021) and lives in Fukuoka, Japan.
Gita Gopinath and Kamlesh Lulla among 34 immigrants honoured by prestigious US Foundation
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Chief Economist Gita Gopinath and National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) scientist Kamlesh Lulla are among the ‘2021 Great Immigrants’ honourees who were named by the Carnegie Corporation of New York, a non-profit organisation.
- A total of 34 immigrants from various countries were honoured by the prestigious American foundation ahead of US Independence Day.
Books and Authors
Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan releases a book titled “Janaksuta Sut Shaurya” authored by Gauri Shankar Sharma
- Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Shivraj Singh Chouhan released a book titled “Janaksuta Sut Shaurya” authored by Gauri Shankar Sharma. The book explains the subject related to Uttar Ramayana poetically and easily.
A new book titled “The Struggle Within: A Memoir of the Emergency” was authored by Ashok Chakravarti
- Senior economist and author Ashok Chakravarti’s new book titled “The Struggle Within: A Memoir of the Emergency” was released. This book was published by HarperCollins India.
Former India footballer Prasannan passed away at 73
- Former Indian footballer M Prasannan passed away in Mumbai. He played for Kerala, Maharashtra and Goa in the Santosh Trophy National Football Championship. He was part of the Indian team coached by PK Banerjee and captained by Inder Singh in the Merdeka Cup in 1973.
Maana Patel becomes the first Indian female swimmer to qualify for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics
- Indian woman swimmer Maana Patel has become the first female and third Indian swimmer who has qualified for the Tokyo Olympics 2020.
- The 21-year-old Maana Patel was selected under the ‘Universality Quota’.
WAKO India Kickboxing Federation gets government recognition
- Union Ministry of Sports has decided to recognise the World Association of Kickboxing Organizations’ (WAKO), India Kickboxing Federation as a National Sports Federation (NSF).
- WAKO India Kickboxing Federation is affiliated with the World Association of Kickboxing Organizations (WAKO), which is the world body for kickboxing.
Norway’s Karsten Warholm breaks 29-year-old men’s 400 metres hurdles world record at the Bislett Games
- Karsten Warholm of Norway clocked 46.70 seconds in men’s 400 metres hurdles to smash Kevin Young’s long-standing world record of 46.78 seconds at the Bislett Games held in Norway. The previous world record was set at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona.
Daily CA July 3 One-liner:
|1. International Plastic Bag Free Day – 3 July|
|2. International Co-operative Day 2021 – 3 July|
|3. FIEO signs an MoU with Aramex India to support MSME exporters in India|
|4. India expects to add 26 GW hydropower projects by 2030: IEA Report|
|5. India joins the OECD-G20’s ‘Inclusive Framework’ tax deal|
|6. Union Minister Prahlad Singh Patel hosts the 6th meeting of the BRICS Culture Ministers virtually|
|7. Life Insurance Corporation of India launches “Saral Pension” plan|
|8. Eroute Technologies launches a prepaid card named “OmniCard” aimed at youngsters|
|9. Emilio Flores Márquez of Puerto Rico was named as the world’s oldest man living at 112|
|10. Gita Gopinath and Kamlesh Lulla among 34 immigrants honoured by prestigious US Foundation|
|11. Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan releases a book titled “Janaksuta Sut Shaurya” authored by Gauri Shankar Sharma|
|12. A new book titled “The Struggle Within: A Memoir of the Emergency” was authored by Ashok Chakravarti|
|13. Former India footballer Prasannan passed away at 73|
|14. Maana Patel becomes the first Indian female swimmer to qualify for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics|
|15. WAKO India Kickboxing Federation gets government recognition|
|16. Norway’s Karsten Warholm breaks 29-year-old men’s 400 metres hurdles world record at the Bislett Games|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of July 03, 2021, now from the link given below.