Daily Current Affairs: June 04, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (June 04, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression – 4 June
- International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression is observed annually on 4 June to raise awareness about children who have faced harassment of any sort in their lives and eradicate such a practice from society.
- This day was recognised by the United Nations (UN) and established on 19 August 1982.
Union Government revises the target of 20% ethanol-blending in petrol to 2023 from 2025
- Union Government has brought forward the target year to achieve 20 per cent ethanol-blending with petrol by two years from 2025 to 2023 to help reduce India’s dependence on costly oil imports.
- This is the second time that the Indian government anticipates sales of the E20 fuel. Earlier, the Union Government had advanced the deadline from 2030 to 2025.
CBSE collaborates with Microsoft to introduce a coding and data science curriculum
- The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has collaborated with Microsoft to introduce coding for classes 6–8 and the data science curriculum for classes 8–12 as new skilling subjects in the 2021–2022 CBSE academic session.
- Coding classes and data science curriculum are focused on building critical thinking, computational skills, problem-solving skills, creativity and hands-on exposure to new technologies.
Microsoft launches the first-ever Asia-Pacific Cyber Security Council
- Microsoft has launched the first Asia-Pacific Public Sector Cyber Security Executive Council to build a strong communications channel for addressing cyber threats and sharing best practices across the participating countries.
- The cyber security council consists of policymakers and influencers from Brunei, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
The Second United Nations Global Sustainable Transport Conference to be held in Beijing, China
- The Second United Nations Global Sustainable Transport Conference will be held from 14–16 October 2021 in Beijing, China.
- The First Global Sustainable Transport Conference was held in 2016 in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan. and the conference is expected to indicate a way forward for sustainable transport to help achieve the objectives of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Paris Agreement on climate change in the Decade of Action.
- Capital: Beijing
- President: Xi Jinping
- Currency: Renminbi
Banking and Economy
ICICI Bank joins hands with SWIFT to offer ‘SWIFT gpi Instant’ facility for cross-border inward remittances
- Private Sector lender ICICI Bank has tied up with SWIFT to offer a facility that helps overseas partner banks to send instant remittances on behalf of their customers to the beneficiary in India.
- ICICI Bank became the first bank in Asia-Pacific and the second bank globally to offer the facility called ‘SWIFT gpi Instant’ for cross-border inward payments.
ICICI (Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD and CEO: Sandeep Bakhshi
- Tagline: Hum Hai Na, Khyal Apka
Edelweiss strengthens co-lending partnership with Central Bank of India for MSMEs
- Edelweiss Retail Finance Limited (ERFL) announced the strengthening of its co-lending partnership with the Central Bank of India for priority sector lending to micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs).
- MSMEs can now avail of collateral-free business loans up to 50 lakhs from Rs. 10 lakhs earlier. they also increased the avail of a loan against property up to Rs. 10 crores.
Edelweiss General Insurance:
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Executive Director & CEO: Shanai Ghosh
HDFC ERGO partners with VISA to provide specialised insurance policies for business cardholders
- India’s leading private sector general insurance company, HDFC ERGO General Insurance had partnered with VISA to provide curated insurance covers for VISA’S business cardholders.
- The partnership will offer two insurance products, namely Business Suraksha Classik and my:Credit Personal Accident Insurance group policy.
Acquisitions and Mergers
EESL partners with ISHRAE for energy-efficient cooling solutions
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) has signed an MoU with the Indian Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ISHRAE) for a strategic partnership in implementing energy-efficient and clean energy solutions in the heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVAC&R)
Air Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari was appointed as the Vice Chief of Indian Air Force
- Air Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari was appointed as the next Vice Chief of Air Staff in the Indian Air headquarters. Air Marshal Ballabha Radha Krishna would succeed VR Chaudhari at the Western Command in Delhi, while Air Marshal RJ Duckworth would be taking charge of the Central Air Command in Prayagraj.
Awards and Recognitions
David Diop and Anna Moschovakis win the 2021 International Booker Prize
- David Diop of France and translator Anna Moschovakis have won the 2021 International Booker Prize for ‘At Night All Blood Is Black’, a novel inspired by the French author’s Senegalese great-grandfather’s silence about his experiences in World War I.
- The International Booker Prize is awarded every year for a single book that is translated into English and published in the UK or Ireland.
Delhi and Hyderabad airports receive ACI Asia–Pacific Green Airports recognition 2021
- The Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi and GMR Hyderabad International Airport Limited (GHIAL) have been felicitated by the Airports Council International (ACI) with Asia-Pacific Green Airports Recognition 2021 for their environmentally sustainable initiatives in the below 25 million passengers per annum (MPPA) category.
- GHIAL has received Gold Recognition for the fourth time in a row for its sustainable airport operations for effective Air Quality Management.
Kerala retains top rank in the NITI Aayog’s SDG India Index 2020-21: Bihar is the worst performer
- Kerala has retained its top rank with a score of 75 in the NITI Aayog’s SDG India Index 2020–21. Both Himachal Pradesh and Tamil Nadu took the second spot with a score of 74.
- Bihar, Jharkhand and Assam were the worst-performing states in the NITI Aayog’s SDG India Index 2020–21.
- The Index for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) evaluates the progress of states and union territories on social, economic and environmental parameters.
Manama tops Global Financial Attractiveness Rankings for the 3rd consecutive year
- Bahrain’s capital city Manama has topped the globally-recognised AIRINC Global 150 Cities Index Financial Attractiveness Ranking for the third consecutive year.
- Aside from the capital of Bahrain in the first place, other cities ranked included Riyadh, Kuwait City, Amman and Abu Dhabi.
- New Delhi and Mumbai are the only cities from India on the 2021 list.
- The rankings evaluate the salary levels, cost of living and taxes in a particular market to create an overall score for financial attractiveness.
China’s Tsinghua University tops THE Asia University Rankings 2021
- According to the Times Higher Education (THE) Asia University Ranking 2021, Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru, was ranked at 37th position in Asia. Apart from IISC Bangalore, IIT Ropar was placed at the 55th rank and IIT Indore at 78th rank among the top 100 universities.
- China’s Tsinghua University topped the Asian University Rankings 2021 followed by Peking University (China) and the National University of Singapore.
Former Prime Minister of Mauritius Anerood Jugnauth passed away at 91
- The former Prime Minister of Mauritius, Anerood Jugnauth, who was credited with steering the island nation’s economic transformation as its longest-serving leader, passed away at the age of 91. He is the father of Pravind Jugnauth, who is the current Prime Minister of Mauritius.
Novak Djokovic won his 83rd career title in the 2021 Belgrade Open
- World No. 1 Novak Djokovic won the 83rd title of his career after defeating Alex Molcan of Slovakia in the 2021 Belgrade Open held in Belgrade, Serbia.
- Jonathan Erlich of Israel and Andrei Vasilevski of Belarus won the Men’s doubles title in the 2021 Belgrade Open by defeating Andre Goransson and Rafael Matos.
Daily CA June 4 One-liner:
|1. International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression – 4 June|
|2. Union Government revises the target of 20% ethanol-blending in petrol to 2023 from 2025|
|3. CBSE collaborates with Microsoft to introduce a coding and data|
|4. science curriculum|
|5. Microsoft launches the first-ever Asia-Pacific Cyber Security Council|
|6. The Second United Nations Global Sustainable Transport Conference to be held in Beijing, China|
|7. ICICI Bank joins hands with SWIFT to offer ‘SWIFT gpi Instant’ facility for cross-border inward remittances|
|8. Edelweiss strengthens co-lending partnership with Central Bank of India for MSMEs|
|9. HDFC ERGO partners with VISA to provide specialised insurance policies for business cardholders|
|10. EESL partners with ISHRAE for energy-efficient cooling solutions|
|11. Air Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari was appointed as the Vice Chief of the Indian Air Force|
|12. David Diop and Anna Moschovakis win the 2021 International Booker Prize|
|13. Delhi and Hyderabad airports receive ACI Asia–Pacific Green Airports recognition 2021|
|14. Kerala retains top rank in the NITI Aayog’s SDG India Index 2020-21: Bihar is the worst performer|
|15. Manama tops Global Financial Attractiveness Rankings for the 3rd consecutive year|
|16. China’s Tsinghua University tops THE Asia University Rankings 2021|
|17. Former Prime Minister of Mauritius Anerood Jugnauth passed away at 91|
|18. Novak Djokovic won his 83rd career title in the 2021 Belgrade Open|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of June 04, 2021, now from the link given below.