Daily Current Affairs: June 12, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (June 12, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Day Against Child Labour – 12 June
- World Day Against Child Labour is observed globally on 12 June every year to focus attention on the global extent of child labour and the action and efforts needed to eliminate it.
- This day was launched by the International Labour Organization (ILO) in 2002.
- 2021 Theme: “Act now: End child labour!”
Assam Chief Minister Himanta Sarma launches ‘Sishu Seva welfare scheme’ for COVID-19 orphans and widows
- Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma has launched the ‘Sishu Seva welfare scheme’ for children who lost their parents to COVID-19 and women who lost their husbands to COVID-19.
- Under the Sishu Seva scheme, children will receive a fixed deposit of 781,000 with a monthly interest of Rs. 3,500 till they attain the age of 24. Girls of marriageable age will receive Rs. 50,000 and gold (10 grams) under the Arundhati scheme.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- National Parks: Orang National Park, Manas National Park, Dibru-Saikhowa National Park, Kaziranga National Park, Nameri National Park, Raimona National Park and Dihing-PatkaiNational Park
Flipkart partners with the Telangana Government for drone deliveries of medical supplies under the ‘Medicines from the Sky’ project
- E-commerce firm Flipkart has partnered with the Telangana Government to lead a consortium tasked with the development and execution of drone deliveries of medical supplies to remote areas under the ‘Medicines from the Sky’
- Flipkart will utilise learnings from its tech-enabled supply chain to deploy drones and enable deliveries of medical supplies.
- Capital: Hyderabad
- Chief Minister: K. Chandrashekar Rao
- Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
- National Parks: KasuBrahmananda Reddy National Park, Mahaveer Harina National Park, Mrugavani National Park
Banking and Economy
ICRA projects India’s GDP growth at 8.5% in FY22
- According to credit rating agency ICRA, India’s gross domestic product (GDP) will grow at 8.5 per cent in FY22 (2021–22). It expects the gross value added (GVA) at basic prices (at constant 2011–12 prices) to grow at 7.3 per cent in FY22.
Acquisitions and Mergers
BharatPe acquires loyalty platform PAYBACK India
- Merchant payments and financial services provider BharatPe has acquired a multi-brand loyalty platform, PAYBACK India, to help its 6 million offline merchants roll out rewards and loyalty programmes for customers.
- The merchant payments company acquired PAYBACK India from American Express (90%) and ICICI Investments Strategic Fund (10%).
Science and Technology
IIT Bombay launches India’s first center for digital health named ‘Koita Centre for Digital Health’
- IIT Bombay has set up the ‘Koita Centre for Digital Health’ (KCDH) under the aegis of the Koita Foundation. It will be the first of its kind in India.
- The KCDH is focused on driving academic programs, research and industry collaboration in digital health.
Indian IFS officer K Nagaraj Naidu was appointed as the Chef de Cabinet of the UNGA’s President
- Maldives Foreign Minister and President of the 76th United Nations General Assembly Abdulla Shahid has appointed India’s Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations Ambassador, K Nagaraj Naidu as his Chef de Cabinet. He was appointed for one year
Justice Sanjay Yadav was appointed as the Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court
- President of India Ramnath Kovind has appointed Justice Sanjay Yadav as the Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court. He has been serving as the acting Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court since 14 April 2021.
Awards and Recognitions
Tillotama Shome wins the Best Actor Award for Raahgir: The Wayfarers at the 2021 UK Asian Film Festival
- Indian actress Tillotama Shome won the Best Actor Award at the 2021 UK Asian Film Festival. She has won the award for her film, ‘Raahgir: The Wayfarers’. The film was directed by Goutam Ghose.
- The director of the film, Goutam Ghose has also won the Best Director Award for ‘Raahgir: The Wayfarers’ at the UKAFF.
Amul’s RS Sodhi was conferred with the Asia Pacific Productivity Champion Award 2021
- Managing Director of the Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF), RS Sodhi, was conferred with the regional award as the Asia Pacific Productivity Champion 2021 from Asian Productivity Organization (APO) of Tokyo, Japan.
- He is the first Indian to have received this prestigious award in the past 20 years.
Books and Authors
A new book titled “Home in the World” was authored by Amartya Sen
- Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen has authored a new book titled “Home in the World”. The book will be published by Penguin Random House in July 2021.
- Recently, he was conferred with Spain’s Princess of Asturias Award 2021 in the social sciences category.
India ranks 55th in the Global Home Price Index in Q1 2021: Knight Frank report
- According to the Knight Frank research report on the Global House Price Index for Q1 2021, India has moved down 12 spots in the Global Home Price Index to the 55th rank in Q1 2021 against the 43rd rank in Q1 2020 with a decline of 1.6 per cent year-on-year (YoY) in home prices.
- The index was topped by Turkey, followed by New Zealand and Luxembourg.
India ranks 67th in the 2021 Coursera’s Global Skills Report: Switzerland tops the report
- According to the 2021 Global Skills Report released by Coursera, India has ranked 67th The ranking list was topped by Switzerland. Luxembourg and Austria are in the second and the third position, respectively.
- India has been ranked 55th in business and 66th in both technology and data science categories.
German architect and Pritzker Prize laureate Gottfried Böhm passed away at 101
- German architect and sculptor Gottfried Bohm passed away at the age of 101. He became the first German architect to be awarded with the Pritzker Prize in 1986.
Australia’s Brisbane city is set to host the 2032 Summer Olympics
- The Australian city of Brisbane is set to host the 2032 Summer Olympics after winning the approval of the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) executive board.
- Paris (France) and Los Angeles (USA) will host the Olympic Games 2024 and 2028,
Aruna Tanwar becomes the first Indian Taekwondo athlete to qualify for Paralympics Games
- The 21-year-old Aruna Tanwar became the first Indian Taekwondo athlete who has qualified for the Tokyo Paralympics 2020. She hails from village Dinod of district Bhiwani in Haryana.
- Aruna is world No.4 in the women’s U-49 category and a 5-time national champion. She has been awarded a wild card entry for the Tokyo Paralympic Games 2020.
Daily CA June 12 One-liner:
|1. World Day Against Child Labour – 12 June|
|2. Assam Chief Minister Himanta Sarma launches ‘Sishu Seva welfare scheme’ for COVID-19 orphans and widows|
|3. Flipkart partners with the Telangana Government for drone deliveries of medical supplies under the ‘Medicines from the Sky’ project|
|4. ICRA projects India’s GDP growth at 8.5% in FY22|
|5. BharatPe acquires loyalty platform PAYBACK India|
|6. IIT Bombay launches India’s first center for digital health named ‘Koita Centre for Digital Health’|
|7. Indian IFS officer K Nagaraj Naidu was appointed as the Chef de Cabinet of the UNGA’s President|
|8. Justice Sanjay Yadav was appointed as the Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court|
|9. Tillotama Shome wins the Best Actor Award for Raahgir: The Wayfarers at the 2021 UK Asian Film Festival|
|10. Amul’s RS Sodhi was conferred with the Asia Pacific Productivity Champion Award 2021|
|11. A new book titled “Home in the World” was authored by Amartya Sen|
|12. India ranks 55th in the Global Home Price Index in Q1 2021: Knight Frank report|
|13. India ranks 67th in the 2021 Coursera’s Global Skills Report: Switzerland tops the report|
|14. German architect and Pritzker Prize laureate Gottfried Böhm passed away at 101|
|15. Australia’s Brisbane city is set to host the 2032 Summer Olympics|
|16. Aruna Tanwar becomes the first Indian Taekwondo athlete to qualify for Paralympics Games|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of June 12, 2021, now from the link given below.