DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: March 11, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (March 10, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
11 March – No Smoking Day
- No Smoking Day is observed every year on the second Wednesday of March to raise awareness about the harmful health effects of tobacco via smoking and to encourage people all over the world to quit smoking.
FDI inflows recorded highest ever for the fiscal year 2018-19:
- Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflow was over 318 billion US dollars between 2014 and September 2019 representing nearly 50 percent of the cumulative FDI in India since April 2000.
- In 2018-19, the FDI inflow stood at a record 62 billion US dollars, highest ever recorded for a fiscal year. FDI can be one measure to track the growth of Make in India.
- Make in India initiative was launched in 2014.
Traditional ‘Fagli’ festival celebrated in Himachal Pradesh’s Kinnaur
- Traditional “Fagli” festival at kinnaur district in Yangpa village, Himachal Pradesh. This festival is celebrated to denote the end of the winter and the start of the Spring. It is mainly celebrated on the moonless night.
- It is also celebrated to receive blessings from Deota (God) for the upcoming harvest season.
- Capital: Shimla
- Chief Minister: Jai Ram Thakur
- Governor: Bandaru Dattatreya
‘COVA Punjab’ mobile app launched by Punjab Govt:
- Chief Secretary of Punjab, Karan Avtar Singh has launched a mobile application, COVA Punjab. COVA stands for Corona Virus Alert.
- This app has been developed by the Department of Government Reforms and Public Grievances in consultation with the Health and Family Welfare Department to spread awareness by sharing various travel and preventive care advisories.
Telangana State Agricultural University Vice-Chancellor Praveen Rao wins Dr. MS Swaminathan Award:
- V Praveen Rao, Vice-Chancellor of Professor JayaShankar Telangana State Agricultural University (PJTSAU), won the 7th edition of Dr MS Swaminathan Award for the period 2017- 2019.
- The award will be conferred on him in June 2020.
- The award was constituted by Retired Indian Council of Agricultural Research Employees Association (RICAREA) and Nuziveedu Seeds Limited (NSL).
- Capital: Hyderabad
- Chief Minister: K. Chandrashekar Rao
- Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
- National Parks (NP): Kasu Brahmananda Reddy NP, Mahaveer Harina NP, Mrugavani NP.
32 lakh saplings planted so far under ‘Green J&K’ program:
- Jammu & Kashmir Forest Department, under the ‘Green J&K’ program, from its given target of 1 Crore saplings, has so far planted 32 lakh saplings of various varieties across the UT.
- Total of 50 lakhs will be planted by the end of March.
Government sets up a committee on Kisan Rail:
- The Government has set up a committee to work out modalities of Kisan Rail. It comprises of representatives of Agriculture and Railway ministries. Kisan Rail was created through the PPP (Public-Private-Partnership) mode to build a cold supply chain to transport perishable goods.
- Indian Railways has plans to install solar panel on un-utilized railway land.
Centre approved for the construction of Delhi-Baghpat highway
- NHAI got approval to construct the 1st phase of a new highway that will connect east Delhi’s Akshardham to Uttarakhand’s Dehradun, a distance of almost 170 Km. The first phase will connect Akshardham with west Uttar Pradesh’s Baghpat, a distance of 32 Km.
- The existing Delhi-Dehradun route is 250km long.
Telangana forms panel to divest from Swagruha housing project
- Telangana constituted a high-powered committee of secretaries to take forward the proposal to dispose of all assets relating to Telangana Rajiv Swagruha Corporation Ltd.
- They will divest these assets through an open auction on an ‘as is where is’ basis.
- Andhra Pradesh started the “Rajiv Swagruha” scheme on 2007.
Nigha App launched in Andhra Pradesh to curb poll malpractices
- Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched the new Nigha app. The app was launched for the citizens with the aim of keeping a check on all the contestants in the polls, so that they do not resort to malpractice ahead of the elections
- The app was developed by Panchayat Raj, which was launched in addition to the measures taken by State Election Commission and police department in order to control the electoral malpractices.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park ,Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
Uttarakhand first state in the country to measure Gross Environment Product
- Uttarakhand state is going to become the first state of the country to measure Gross Environment Product (GEP) for quantifying ecological growth measurement.
- Anil Prakash Joshi, a Padma awardee environmentalist, the man behind the concept has been advocating the implementation of the idea across the country especially in the Himalayas for years.
- Capital- Gairsain (summer capital), Dehradun (winter capital).
- Chief Minister: Trivendra Singh Rawat
- Governor- Baby Rani Maurya.
- National Parks- Corbett NP, Gangotri NP, Govind Pashu Vihar NP, Nanda Devi NP, Rajaji NP, Valley of Flowers NP.
‘Joy Bangla’ to be the national slogan of Bangladesh
- High Court of Bangladesh has ordered that ‘Joy Bangla’ will be the national slogan of Bangladesh.
- In an order passed the two-judge bench of High Court asked the authorities to take necessary steps so that all the people holding constitutional posts and state officials use ‘Joy Bangla’.
Coronavirus outbreak could cost the global economy up to $2 trillion: UNCTAD:
- The coronavirus outbreak could cost the global economy up to $2 trillion this year, the UN’s trade and development agency said, warning that shock from the epidemic will cause a recession in some countries and depress global annual growth to below 2.5%.
- UNCTAD Secretary General- Mukhisa Kituyi.
Jack Ma replaces Mukesh Ambani as Asia’s richest man in $5.8 billion rout
- Bloomberg Billionaires Index reported that Jack Ma became Asia’s richest man.
- Ambani, who stood as the richest man, has moved to the 2nd position after oil prices collapsed along with global stocks.
- Coronavirus erased $5.8 billion from Ambani’s net worth.
- Jack Ma is the founder of Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.
India, US sign Rs 1200 crore deal for protection system of new VVIP aircraft
- India and the United States have signed a Rs 1200 crore deal for acquiring missile protection suites for the new Boeing VVIP planes that India is acquiring for the President and the Prime Minister.
- The missile protection suites on the two Boeing-777 Extended Range planes will provide it the capability to fend off any missile attacks.
India ranks 46th out of 100 countries in Inclusive Internet Index 2020
- Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) released the 4th iteration of the Inclusive Internet Index 2020 for 100 countries where India is overall ranked in 46th place. Sweden in 1st place.
- The index aims to measure the extent to which the Internet is not only accessible & affordable, but also relevant to all, allowing usage that enables positive social & economic outcomes at the individual & group level.
Banking and Finance
SBI cuts MCLR rate, home loans to get cheaper
- SBI has cut its Marginal Cost Of Fund-Based Lending Rate (MCLR) by up to 15 basis points across various tenors, effective from March 10.
- SBI has reduced its one-year MCLR by 10 basis points to 7.75% from 7.85% earlier. SBI has also cut its FD rates.
- This is 10th consecutive cut in MCLR by SBI this fiscal.
CSIR: Discovery of ink to curb fake printing of Passports & counterfeiting of Currency Notes
- CSIR-National Physical Laboratory has developed a bi-luminescent security ink which glows in red and green colours when illuminated by two different excitation sources at 254 nano meters & 365 nm, respectively. The ink was given to Bank Note Press, Dewas.
- SPMCIL (Security Printing & Minting Corporation of India Limited) has currency note presses at Nashik and Dewas.
Prashant Kumar takes charge as Yes Bank administrator
- Prashant Kumar former deputy managing director and CFO of State Bank of India, has taken charge as its administrator.
- The private sector lender was placed under a moratorium, with the RBI capping deposit withdrawals at Rs 50,000 per account for a month and superseding its board.
- Kumar taking charge as the Yes Bank administrator is in line with notifications issued by the Department of Financial Services and the RBI.
Books and Author
Tahira Kashyap to Launch New Book “The 12 Commandments of Being a Woman”
- Writer-filmmaker Tahira Kashyap Khurrana announced that she is coming up with her new book, titled “The 12 Commandments of Being A Woman”.
- The books authored by her are “I Promise”, “Souled Out” and in the year 2015 she co-authored Ayushmann’s biography “Cracking the Code: My Journey in Bollywood”.
Chennaiyin FC forward Andre Schembri to retire after ISL final
- Maltese Footballer Andre Schembri, 33 years old, is currently playing for Chennaiyin FC’s (Football Club) announced that he will retire from professional football after the Hero Indian Super League (ISL) final against ATK FC in Goa.
- He announced retirement from international football in November 2018 after 94 appearances for his nation.
Mohun Bagan are the Hero I-League Champions 2019-2020
- Indian football heavyweights Mohun Bagan clinched their second I-League title with a 1-0 win over Aizawl FC at Kalyani, West Bengal.
- Senegalese striker Baba Diawara scored the all-important goal for Mohun Bagan in the 80th minute.
- Their first I-League title came in 2014-15 season.
Mahim Verma set to resign as BCCI vice president
- Mahim Verma, the current BCCI vice president, is set to resign from his post after he won the election for the post of secretary at the Cricket Association of Uttarakhand.
- As per the Lodha Committee’s recommendations a person cannot hold multiple posts.
- BCCI President cannot hold his post for more than two years.
Amit Panghal, Lovlina Borgohain won bronze medal in the Asian Boxing Olympic qualifiers
- Boxers Amit Panghal & Lovlina Borgohain won the bronze medal in the Asian Boxing Olympic qualifiers held in Amman.
- They had already claimed their place in 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- Borgohain secured 0-5 & lost to China’s Hong Gu in the 69 Kg weight category.
- Pangal was defeated by Jianguan Hu in the 52 Kg category.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of March 11, 2020, now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.