DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : MARCH 8, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : MARCH 8, 2018
Swachh Shakti 2018: 15000 women Swachh Bharat champions to gather in Lucknow on International Women’s Day
- The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, in association with the Government of Uttar Pradesh, is organizing a Women’s Convention called Swachh Shakti 2018, on International Women’s Day, at
- This year, Uttar Pradesh will be hosting Swachh Shakti 2018 as the largest State in the country, with a massive rural populace. The event will be presided over by Sushree Uma Bharti, Minister Drinking Water and Sanitation. Yogi Adityanath, Chief Minister, Uttar Pradesh will be the Chief Guest for the occasion.
- 8000 women sarpanches, 3000 women Swachhagrahis, 2000 mahilasamakhyas from Uttar Pradesh and women sarpanches from across the country have been invited to recognize their outstanding contribution towards making Swachh Bharat a reality in rural India.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Shri Ram Naik
Shri Nitin Gadkari launches scheme of fully computerised Driver Training Facilities:
- Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping, Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Shri Nitin Gadkari has launched the scheme for District Driving Training Centres in New Delhi, he said that the process of approving such driving licenses will be made fully computerised.
- He also launched a mobile App “Sukhad Yatra” and Toll-free Emergency number- “1033” for highway users together with Union Minister for Petroleum, Natural Gas, Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Shri Dharmendra Pradhan.
About the App & Toll-Free Number
- Sukhad Yatra – To empower the highway users by giving information on toll rates as they approach the toll plaza. It also provides users with real-time data related to waiting time expected at Plazas and various facilities like points of interest, highway nest/nest mini, etc., available across the highway. The app can also be used by the users to purchase the FASTag tag and further facilitate the highway user experience.
- Toll-free number – 1033 – To enable users to report an emergency condition, or highway-related feedback, across the highway.
Cabinet approves two percent Dearness Allowance to Central Government employees:
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval to release an additional instalment of Dearness Allowance (DA) to Central Government employees and Dearness Relief (DR) to pensioners representing an increase of 2% over the existing rate of 5% of the Basic Pay/Pension, to compensate for price rise.
- This will benefit about 41 lakh Central Government employees and 61.17 lakh pensioners.
- The combined impact on the exchequer on account of both Dearness Allowance and Dearness Relief would be 6077.72 crore per annum and Rs.7090.68 crore in the financial year 2018-19.
- This increase is in accordance with the accepted formula, which is based on the recommendations of the 7thCentral Pay Commission.
Cabinet approves the Arbitration and Conciliation (Amendment) Bill, 2018:
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the Arbitration and Conciliation (Amendment) Bill, 2018 for introduction in the Parliament.
- It is a part of the efforts of the Government to encourage institutional arbitration for settlement of disputes and make India a centre of robust Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) mechanism.
- The Amendments in the Act of 1996 will facilitate achieving the goal of improving institutional arbitration by establishing an independent body to lay down standards, make arbitration process more party friendly, cost effective and ensure timely disposal of arbitration cases.
Fourth India-Europe 29 Business Forum, New Delhi:
- The fourth India-Europe 29 Business Forum (IE29BF) took place in New Delhi.
- The Forum was created for the first time in 2014 by Ministry of External Affairs and Federation of Indian Chambers and Commerce (FICCI) to provide an institutionalized platform for promoting business exchanges between India and the twenty nine countries of Central Europe region.
- The theme of IE29BF 2018 was ‘Synergising Economic Vision for Expanded Relations’.
The focus sectors for the Forum were
- “Industry 4.0 : Defining India-Europe 29 Cooperation through Developing Innovation Eco-system in Hi-Tech Manufacturing and Skilling & transforming Human Capital in India”,
- “Promoting E-Governance through ICT technology & inviting Europe 29 Expertise for digitalization of Healthcare sector in India”
- And “Collaborating to develop 100 Smart Cities in India: Innovative urban transport solutions and clean technologies to define India-Europe 29 future partnership”.
- For IE29BF 2018, Czech Republic was the ‘Focus Country’.
Forty participants from 9 countries met Minister Goyal under Know India Programme:
- Forty participants of Indian Origin from nine countries met called upon the Union Minister of Railways and Coal Piyush Goyal, as part of ‘The Know India Programmes (KIP) in New Delhi.
- The KIP is a 25 day orientation programme is organised by the Ministry of External Affairs in partnership with one or two states for 10 days orientation programme.
- KIP is an important initiative of the Union government with an aim to engage and make the students and young professionals of Indian diaspora, in the age group of 18 to 30 years, feel a sense of connect with their motherland, to be motivated and inspired by transformational changes taking place in India.
- As part of the 46th KIP, the participants visited Madhya Pradesh as the partner state.
Centre sanctions Rs 1,000 crore for research and innovation:
- The Union Government has announced a grant of Rs 1,000 crore for the second phase of the Impacting Research Innovation and Technology (IMPRINT) India programme.
- The proposals for IMPRINT-II will be called from March 16 and will be sanctioned by May this year.
- Under the IMPRINT-I Programme, 142 projects at a cost of 318.71 crore are already under implementation.
- Indranil Manna of IIT-Kharagpur will be the National Coordinator.
- IMPRINT – Impacting Research Innovation and Technology
Itanagar celebrates Silver Jubilee of Losar festival:
- The Buddhist Community of Itanagar celebrated the silver jubilee of the Losar Festival at the Nyokum Lapang Ground in Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh.
- The three-day festival, organized by the Itanagar Buddhist Cultural Society (IBCS).
- Education Minister and chief guest at the event Honchun Ngandam emphasised the need to preserve their tradition and especially their dialect. Capital Complex Deputy Commissioner, Prince Dhawan graced as Guest of Honour.
- Capital: Itanagar
- Chief Minister: Pema Khandu
- Governor: B D Mishra
Odisha MSME International Trade Fair begins in Bhubaneswar:
- The Odisha MSME International Trade Fair, 2018 kick started in the state with a special focus on food processing sector in Bhubaneswar.
- Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated the trade fair. Minister for MSME Prafulla Samal has said 35 delegates from Iran, Bangladesh, Korea and Germany are participating in the trade fair this time.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Governor: C. Jamir
Cabinet approves a MoU between India and Hellenic on Renewable Energy Cooperation:
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has been apprised of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Cooperation in the field of Renewable Energy between India and Hellenic (Greece).
- The MoU was signed by the External Affairs Minister, Sushma Swaraj, Government of India and H.E. Nikos Kotzias, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Hellenic Republic in New Delhi on November 2017.
- Both sides aim to establish the basis for a cooperative institutional relationship to encourage and promote technical bilateral cooperation on new and renewable issues on the basis of mutual benefit equality and reciprocity. The MoU aims for exchange of expertise and networking of information.
- Capital: Athens
- Currency: Euro
Cabinet approves signing of an Agreement between India and France to facilitate “Mutual Recognition of Academic Qualifications”:
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for signing of an Agreement between India and France to facilitate Mutual Recognition of educational qualifications and periods of study undertaken by students in duly approved, recognized and/or accredited educational Institutions within the two countries.
- The Agreement is expected to be signed during the forthcoming State visit of the French President to India. The signing of the agreement will help in deepening the educational ties between India and France and will go a long way in boosting the educational relationship between the two countries.
- And also on the Prevention of the Illicit Consumption and Reduction of Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs, Psychotropic Substances and Chemical Precursors, and related offences.
- It has also approved the signing of Migration and Mobility Partnership Agreement between India and France. The Agreement is initially valid for a period of seven years, incorporates provision for automatic renewal and a monitoring mechanism through a Joint Working Group.
- It has approved the signing of a Memorandum of Cooperation between India and France in the field of environment.
- President :Emmanuel Macron
- Currencies: Euro, CFP franc
- Capital: Paris
70 years of Indo-Russia ties celebrated with ‘Vision for Future’:
- To mark the 70th anniversary of Indo-Russia ties, Ministry of External Affairs (Eurasia Division) in collaboration with the International Federation of Indo-Russian Youth Clubs and BRICS International Forum organized an event called “Vision for Future” in New Delhi.
- The event sought to expose the youth to the dynamic opportunities of cooperation between the two countries.
- BRICS is an association of five major emerging national economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- President: Vladimir Putin.
- Currency: Russian Ruble
- Capital: Moscow
BANKING & BUSINESS
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation announces $ 170 million for women’s empowerment:
- On the eve of International Women’s Day, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has announced a USD 170 million project aimed at advancing women’s economic empowerment in four countries, including in India.
- The investments focused in India, Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda will target four key priorities – advancing gender equality, spreading digital financial inclusion, increasing job opportunities, and supporting the agricultural sector and women’s support groups.
World ATM Congress to continue flying into Madrid until 2022:
- The World ATM Congress is running 6-8 March at IFEMA in Madrid, and is the World’s Largest International Air Traffic Management (ATM) exhibition and conference. The World ATM Congress combines a broad exhibition area with product demonstrations and launches, contract closures, and networking opportunities.
- World ATM Congress is operated by the Civil Air Navigation Services Organisation (CANSO) in partnership with the Air Traffic Control Association (ATCA) and runs until 8 March 2018.
- IFEMA is the permanent venue for the World ATM Congress until 2022 and the venue management believes the Congress’s tenancy has helped establish Madrid as a world-class city in the global aeronautical industry.
- ATM – Air Traffic Management
- Currency: Euro
- Capital: Madrid
Sidbi, CSC partner to offer MSMEs better credit access:
- The Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) said signed a memorandum of understanding with CSC e-governance Services (CSCeGS) to take Udyami Mitra portal to the unserved and the underserved MSMEs.
- in is a portal to improve accessibility of credit for the MSMEs. It allows entrepreneurs to apply for a loan without physically visiting bank branches.
- CSCeGS is a special purpose vehicle (SPV) set up by ministry of electronics and IT (MeitY) which acts as connect point for various digitally aligned services to villages in the country.
- CSCs (Common Service Centres), one of the crucial enablers of the Digital India programme, are the access points for delivery of various e-governance and business services to citizens in rural and remote areas of the country.
- The MoU is aimed to facilitate financial support to the upcoming CSCs through bank financing. The MoU was signed by and Sidbi deputy managing director (DMD) Manoj Mittal and CSCeGS CEO Dinesh Tyagi.
- CSCeGS – Common Service Centres e-governance Services
- Headquarters: Lucknow
- CMD: Mohammad Mustafa
First U.S. LNG shipment to reach India from Louisiana facility this month:
- Under 2011 pact, GAIL to buy 5 million tonnes of gas a year from Sabine Pass. India will receive its first LNG import from the U.S. later this month.
- The cargo from Cheniere Energy’s Sabine Pass LNG export facility in Louisiana was loaded on to GAIL’s chartered LNG ship ‘Meridian Spirit’ on March 5.
- The sale purchase agreement was signed in December 2011 and the cargo is expected to discharge LNG at the Dabhol terminal of GAIL on or around March 28.
British Indian man wins bravery award in Barcelona terror attack:
- An Indian-origin Harry Athwal a Birmingham man, who risked his life to help a fatally injured young boy in the last year’s Barcelona terror attack, has been selected for this year’s ‘Pride of Birmingham’ award.
Delhi and Mumbai airports beat world’s best in latest ACI rankings:
- The Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi has been adjudged best in the world by Airports Council International in the ‘Over 40 million passengers annually’ category for year 2017. This category is the largest in terms of passenger traffic and includes the world’s most awarded airports like Changi (Singapore), Incheon and Bangkok airports.
- IGI is now the seventh busiest airport in Asia and has also made it to the top-20 list of world’s busiest airports which has Dubai at the top.
- And Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport has been adjudged World’s Best Airport for customer experience.
- The Rajiv Gandhi International Airport in Hyderabad, which is run by the GMR Group, won the customer experience award in the 5-15 mppa category.
- ACI is a trade association with 1,953 member airports. It conducts annual surveys on service quality provided by airports around the world and adjudges them on the basis of 34 parameters.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Sandeep Bakhshi gets 2-yr extension as MD of ICICI Prudential Life:
- Sandeep Bakhshi managing director and chief executive officer ICICI Prudential Life Insurance was re-appointed with effect from June 1, 2018 for a term of two years till May 31, 2020.
Vivek Wadekar appointed new Special Director in Enforcement Directorate:
- IRS officer Vivek R Wadekar was appointed as the new Special Director in the Enforcement Directorate (ED) by the government. The order said the officer will be based in Delhi and his appointment will be for five years from the date he takes the charge at the agency.
About Enforcement Directorate (ED):
- The ED is the central investigative agency, under the Union finance ministry, that enforces the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) and the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) in the country.
Gary Cohn resigns as Trump’s top economic advisor:
- Gary Cohn has resigned as White House chief economic advisor. Cohn’s planned departure comes on the heels of a decision by President Donald Trump to impose stiff tariffs on steel and aluminum imports.
IMPORTANT EVENTS OF THE DAY
International Women’s Day – March 8th:
- On International Women’s Day (March 8th) women across the globe come together to force the world to recognise inequalities – and celebrate the achievements of women who have overcome these barriers.
- This year International Women’s Day has made a strong call to action to #PressforProgress on gender parity, by motivating and uniting friends, colleagues and whole communities to think, act and be gender inclusive.
- International Women’s Day 2018 theme is “Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives”.
Ex-MP cricket association chairman Bhargav dead:
- Former Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association (MPCA) chairman M K Bhargav died after a prolonged illness in Indore. He was 78.
Aspirants can check the Daily Current Affairs Quiz of March 8, 2018 from the link that is provided below. If you have the Bankersdaily Android App , you can take the Daily Current Affairs Quiz in the Exam format.
ATTEND – DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS QUIZ – MARCH 8, 2018