DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 16, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (May 16 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Armed Forces Day- May 16:
- Armed Forces Day is celebrated on the third Saturday of every May. This year it falls on May 16th.
- This day is celebrated to pay tribute to the men and women who served the United States Armed Forces.
National Endangered Species Day- May 15:
View this post on Instagram
- In order to raise awareness about endangered species and wildlife in India, National Endangered Species Day is celebrated every year on the 3rd Friday of May. This year the day falls on May 15, 2020.
- As per the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), at least 40% species of animals, plants, and insects are at the risk of extinction around the globe.
Arjun Munda launches ‘Goal’ programme of MoTA for digital skilling of tribal youth in partnership with Facebook:
- Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda launched the “GOAL (Going Online As Leaders)” programme of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) in partnership with Facebook at a Webinar
40 gharials released in Ghaghara river amid lockdown:
- 40 gharials were released in the Ghaghara river by Uttar Pradesh forest division, amid the nationwide lockdown due to the novel coronavirus disease. They are critically endangered in the International Union for Conservation of Nature Red List of Species.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
MHRD launched e-Governance platform, SAMARTH:
- Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) has developed an e-Governance platform, SAMARTH Enterprises Resource Planning (ERP), under the National Mission of Education in Information and Communication Technology Scheme (NMEICT).
- The aim of the e-Governance platform, SAMARTH, is to provide quality education to students across all Universities & Higher Education Institutions (HEIs).
Delhi Police gets India’s first ‘Thermal Corona Combat Headgear’ to enhance social distancing:
- Delhi Police has inducted in service India’s first thermal detection headgear that will enhance the social distancing while still enabling the policemen to perform their duties.
- Indian Robo Store group in partnership with the Delhi Police has invented this headgear that has been given the name — Thermal Corona Combat Gear (TCCH).
- The wearer of the headgear will be able to scan the elevated body temperature-EBT. It will help in thermally scanning individuals from a safe distance of 10m to 15m.
- Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal
Investment Capacity of India in renewable sector reached 500-700 billion USD:
- The Institute of Energy Economics and Financial Analysis published a study according to which India has increased its potential for renewable energy in solar power in the country. The Bhadla Solar Park in Rajasthan is the largest solar park in the world.
- India target to install 175 GW of renewable energy by FY2021-22.
Dr Harsh Vardhan dedicates COVID-19 testing machine COBAS 6800 to the nation:
- Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, visited the National Centre for Disease Control in Delhi, and dedicated the COBAS 6800 COVID-19 testing machine to the nation. It performs RT-PCR tests for COVID-19.
- COBAS requires a minimum BSL2+ containment level for testing.
Government introduces Interest subvention on Working Capital Loans for Dairy sector:
- Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying has introduced a new scheme “Interest subvention on Working Capital Loans for Dairy sector” for supporting Dairy Cooperatives and Farmer Producer Organizations (SDC&FPO) engaged in dairy activities.
- The scheme has made provisions for providing interest subvention of 2% per annum, with an additional incentive of 2% per annum interest subvention to be given in case of prompt and timely repayment/interest servicing.
- A budgetary provision of Rs 100 Crore earmarked for this and will be implemented during 2020-21.
Piyush Goyal participates in virtual session of G20 trade ministers:
- Union Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal attended a video conference meeting of commerce ministers of G-20 countries.
- The meeting was called to discuss ways to minimise disruption to trade and global supply chains which have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
World Trade Organizations:
- Director General: Roberto Azevedo
- Location: Geneva, Switzerland.
Israel names street in Tel Aviv after Rabindranath Tagore on his 159th birth anniversary:
- Israel named a street in Tel Aviv after Indian poet Rabindranath Tagore on his 159th birth anniversary to honor his valuable contributions in the field and to mankind.
- Capital: Jerusalem
- Currency: Israeli Shekel
- Prime Minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
Banking and Economy:
Fiscal deficit to balloon to 7.9% in FY21:
- With the Government Rs 20 lakh Crore stimulus package, the country’s fiscal deficit is likely to be more than double to 9 per cent in the current financial year, according to an SBI research. The earlier estimate for the FY21 was 3.5% of the GDP.
World Bank approves 1 billion USD to support India’s combat against COVID-19:
- World Bank approves Rs 7500 crore (1 billion USD) to increase India’s COVID-19 Social Protection response Program to help the nation’s efforts in providing assistance for the poor and needy who are affected by the pandemic.
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- President: David Malpass
Acquisitions and Mergers:
PepsiCo India ties up with Swiggy:
- In a bid to strengthen availability of its snack brands at a time when the country is grappling with the Covid-19 pandemic, PepsiCo India has entered into a distribution partnership with Swiggy to launch Lay’s and Kurkure e-stores on the app.
ACT Grants partners with Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, others to combat Covid-19:
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Michael and Susan Dell Foundation and Wadhwani Foundation have joined Action Covid-19 Team (ACT) Grants as donors and will extend the outreach of the initiative. ACT is an Indian not-for-profit grant.
Science and Technology:
IIT-Gandhinagar develops COVID-19 dashboard to help contain community infection post lockdown:
- Researchers at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)- Gandhinagar (IITGN), Gujarat, have developed an interactive COVID-19 dashboard named “MIR AHD Covid-19 Dashboard”, that can help administrators, hospitals as well as public in planning optimised testing for the novel coronavirus and containing community infection in various post-lockdown scenarios.
NIPER-Guwahati developed innovative 3D products to contain COVID-19 spread:
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research-Guwahati (NIPER-G) has developed two products, 3D-printed hands-free object & 3D-printed antimicrobial face-shield, to help in the fight against the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The devices are expected to play a key role in containing the transmission of coronavirus from one person to another through bare hand contacts or contaminated surface source.
Veteran Bengali author, Sahitya Akademi winner Debesh Roy passes away at 84:
- Veteran Bengali author Debesh Roy, who was conferred the Sahitya Akademi award for his novel ‘Teesta Parer Brittanto’, died at a private hospital. He won the Sahitya Akademi award for his novel ‘Tista Parer Brittanto’ in 1990.
Padma Bhushan Awardee and Bangladesh’s National Professor, Anisuzzaman, Passes Away:
- Padma Bhushan recipient and Bangladesh’s National Professor Anisuzzaman passed away at the age of 83 in Dhaka, Bangladesh. He was born on February 18, 1937, in Calcutta, Bengal Presidency, British India and shifted to Bangladesh soon after the partition in 1947.
Little Richard, rock’n’roll pioneer, passed away at 87:
- Little Richard, architect of rock ‘n’ roll, has passed away at the age of 87 years in Tullahoma, Tennessee due to bone cancer, who was a Grammy Award winner and an inductee to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.