DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 19, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (May 19 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World AIDS Vaccine Day- May 18:
- World AIDS Vaccine Day or HIV Vaccine Awareness Day is observed on 18 May to spread awareness regarding the importance of a vaccine to prevent HIV.
- World AIDS Vaccine Day was first celebrated in May 1998. Observed by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID).
Government implements Shekatkar Committee recommendations related to creating border infrastructure:
- Union Government has implemented Lt. General D B Shekatkar Committee’s recommendations related to creating border infrastructure. These were related to road construction leading to socio-economic development in the border areas along India’s border with China.
- The Shekatkar Committee submitted a total of 99 recommendations.
Government of West Bengal announces new schemes- ‘Sneher Porosh’ & ‘Prochesta’:
- The Chief Minister of West Bengal launched two schemes ‘Sneher Porosh’ to provide support for the migrant workers and ‘Prochesta’ to help the workers of the unorganized sector of Bengal to enable them to earn their living in the lockdown situation.
- Prochesta Scheme is to provide wages to all daily wage workers.
- Capital: Kolkata
- Chief Minister: Mamata Banerjee
- Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar.
Karnataka launches incubator for cyber security start-ups in India:
- Karnataka launched its first cyber security-specific accelerator programme ‘H.A.C.K’. The programme is implemented by CySecK, which is state’s Centre of Excellence in Cyber Security meant to create a cyber-safe environment for industry collaboration.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
Gujarat mandates digital payment for home delivery in Ahmedabad:
- Preventing the spread of Covid-19 through currency notes, Gujarat government has mandated digital payment for all home delivery services in the worst-hit city of Ahmedabad and also issued protocol to be followed by the delivery persons.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
Acer India Launches ‘Back To School’ 2020 Campaign:
- Acer has launched its Back to School 2020 campaign and will provide zero down-payment and 2 years additional warranty plus one-year accidental damage protection free of charge for all students buying laptops between May 11 and June 30, 2020.
Union Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan participates in 73rd World Health Assembly online session:
- Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan participated in the 73rd World Health Assembly (WHA) via video conferencing. A session of the WHA, the decision-making body of the WHO, began its first-ever teleconference due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Banking and Economy:
Canara Bank launches special gold loan business vertical:
- Canara Bank, the fourth-largest public sector lender launched a special business vertical dedicated for gold loans. The Bank’s gold loan products are aimed at providing a quick, hassle-free experience for customers with low-interest cost till 30 June 2020.
NABARD disburses Rs 20,500 crore to coop banks, RRBs:
- NABARD has disbursed Rs 20,500 crore to cooperative banks and RRBs for on-lending to farmers. The amount is a part of the Rs 25,000 crore of special refinance facility provided by RBI to NABARD for refinancing RRBs, cooperative banks and
National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD):
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Chairperson: Harsh Kumar Bhanwala.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Facebook acquires Giphy to integrate with Instagram:
- Facebook acquired Giphy— a popular website for making and sharing animated images or GIFs. Giphy will now work as part of the Instagram Its GIF library will be integrated with the photo-sharing application as well as with Facebook’s other apps.
Tata to buy out PepsiCo’s stake in JV NourishCo Beverages:
- Tata Consumer Product Ltd to acquire the stake of PepsiCo in their joint venture NourishCo Beverages. NourishCo, a 50:50 joint venture of TCPL and PepsiCo, operates in the healthy hydration space and has brands like Tata Gluco Plus and Tata Water Plus.
- NourishCo formed in 2010 as joint venture between TCPL & PepsiCo.
Ircon signs MoU with RZD International for joint development of railways:
- Ircon International (IRCON) signed a Memorandum of Understanding with RZD International LLC to explore opportunities for joint development of railways and infrastructure projects in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
Science and Technology:
Italy develops ‘iFeel – you’ bracelet for Social Distancing:
- The Genoa-based Italian Institute of Technology (IIT) has developed “iFeel – You”, an intelligent bracelet to help with social distancing. It uses a radio signal when another bracelet is approaching and does not use GPS & cannot track the user’s location.
- President: Sergio Mattarella.
- Prime Minister: Giuseppe Conte.
NIPER-Guwahati developed innovative 3D products to contain COVID-19 spread:
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research-Guwahati (NIPER-G) has developed two products, 3D-printed hands-free object & 3D-printed antimicrobial face-shield, to help in the fight against the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The devices are expected to play a key role in containing the transmission of coronavirus from one person to another through bare hand contacts or contaminated surface source.
ARCI jointly develop biodegradable metal implants for use in humans:
- Scientists at International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy & New Materials, ARCI & Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences developed new generation Iron-Manganese based alloys for biodegradable metal implants for use in humans.
CSIR CMERI develops mobile indoor disinfection sprayer to combat COVID-19:
- Scientists at CSIR-Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute Durgapur, developed two mobile indoor Disinfection Sprayer units (BPDS & POMID). They can be used to clean & disinfect pathogenic micro-organism effectively, especially in hospitals.
- These units can be used to clean frequently touched surfaces.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.