Daily Current Affairs : November 3 & 4, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (November 3 & 4, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – November 3 & Daily Current Affairs Quiz – November 4 now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
Centre releases Rs 2,200 crore as first instalment to 15 states for improvement of air quality measures:
- Centre has released 2,200 crore rupees as the first installment to 15 states for the improvement of air quality measures in their million-plus cities. The amount has been released based on the recommendations of the 15th Finance Commission.
- The states which have been given the amount include Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
CJI Sharad Arvind Bobde inaugurated the first ever e-resource centre Nyay Kaushal at Nagpur, Maharashtra:
- Chief Justice of India (CJI) Sharad Arvind Bobde inaugurated India’s first-ever E-resource centre Nyay Kaushal at Judicial Officers Training Institute in Nagpur. Nyay Kaushal will facilitate e-filling of cases in the Supreme Court, any High Court and district courts across the country.
Government extends Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme till November 30, 2020:
- National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government announced extending the time window for businesses to seek sovereign-guaranteed loans under the Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme (ECLGS) by one month till November 30.
- An amount of Rs. 3 lakh crore is sanctioned under the Scheme. The limit of credit be upto 20% of their credit outstanding as on February 2020. Till now Rs. 2.03 lakh crore has been sanctioned under the Scheme.
Chhattisgarh CM Bhupesh Baghel launches scheme for distribution of fortified rice:
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel launched a scheme for distribution of fortified rice through Public Distribution System (PDS) and other welfare initiatives for the people of Kondagaon district of the State on a pilot basis. And also setting up of English medium schools on Sunday during ”Rajyotsav” statehood celebrations.
- Fortified rice is a mixture of iron, vitamin B-12 and folic acid-enriched fortified rice kernel. He also felicitated 30 individuals and three organisations with ‘Rajya Alankaran Samman’ (state awards) for their exemplary contribution in 24 different disciplines.
- Capital: Raipur
- Chief Minister: Bhupesh Baghel
- Governor: Anusuiya Uikey.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates ‘Arogya Van’ in Gujarat’s Narmada district:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the ‘Arogya Van’ in the Narmada district of Gujarat. Arogya Van (health forest) is spread over an area of about 17 acres, displaying a wide range of medicinal plants that play an important role in the well-being of human beings. PM also inaugurated Arogya Kutir, Ekta Mall, and Children Nutrition Park.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- National Park: Blackbuck NP, Vansda NP, Gir Forest NP, Marine NP, Gulf of Kutch.
India’s First Ever Solar-Powered Miniature Train Launched at Veli Tourist Village in Kerala:
- A solar energy-driven miniature train, billed as the country’s first of its kind, was inaugurated at the Veli Tourist Village by Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan. The project Rs 10 crore worth and covers a distance of 2.5 km with 3 bogies. It features a fully- equipped rail system, including a tunnel, station and a ticket office.
- Vijayan also dedicated an “Urban Park” and a swimming pool at the eco-friendly tourist village, located on the outskirts of the state capital where the Veli Lake meets the Arabian Sea.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan.
Ministry of AYUSH and Invest India to form strategic policy unit “Strategic Policy & Facilitation Bureau (SPFB)”:
- Ministry of AYUSH and M/s Invest India will form a collaboration to set up a strategic policy unit called ‘Strategic Policy & Facilitation Bureau (SPFB)’ to facilitate planned and systematic growth of the Ayush Sector.
- Invest India would deploy highly trained and expert resources to implement and execute the plans of the Ministry of AYUSH. This Bureau will support the Ministry in strategic and policy making initiatives that will help pave the way to reach the full potential of the Sector and stimulate growth and investment.
Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju inaugurates SAI’s new Regional Centre at Zirakpur, Punjab:
- Sports Authority of India (SAI) regional centre (Chandigarh)’s new centre at Zirakpur, Punjab, was virtually inaugurated by Kiren Rijiju, Union Sports and Youth Affairs Minister.
- The SAI Regional centre, which is the SAI’s 11th regional centre in India and third in region after Patiala and Sonepat, will cater to athletes and coaches from Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, Union Territory of Ladakh and Chandigarh.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Chief Minister: Captain Amarinder Singh
- Governor: V P Singh Badnore.
Airports Authority of India hands over Lucknow airport to Adani group on lease for 50 years:
- The Airports Authority of India (AAI) handed over the Lucknow airport to the Adani group on lease for a period of 50 years. Adani group has also taken over operations of 5 more airports.
- Central Government had privatised six major airports of the country namely Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Mangaluru, Thiruvananthapuram and Guwahati.
World’s strongest storm in 2020 super typhoon Goni hits Philippines:
- World’s strongest storm so far this year slammed into the eastern part of the Philippines, bringing “catastrophic violent winds”. Goni is one of the strongest storms to hit the Philippines since 2013’s Haiyan, which killed more than 6,300 people.
Banking and Economy:
Government provides Rs 670-crore to support Regional Rural Banks to meet regulatory capital:
- Central Government has provided support of Rs 670 crore to Regional Rural Banks (RRBs) operating in the country to help them meet the regulatory capital requirement of 9%.
- Around one-third of the 43 RRBs which are suffering losses especially from north-eastern and eastern regions and need funds to meet regulatory capital requirement.
- As per the current scheme for recapitalisation of RRBs, Regional Rural Banks were owned by the Central Government, the State Government and the Sponsor Bank (Any commercial bank can sponsor the regional rural banks) who held shares in the ratios as follows Central Government – 50%, State Government – 15% and Sponsor Banks – 35% to enable them to meet the regulatory requirement of CRAR.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
IREDA signs MoU with MNRE, setting key targets for the year 2020-21:
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Ltd. (IREDA) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Government of India setting key targets for the year 2020-21.
- Government of India has set a revenue target of Rs. 2,406 crore under ‘Excellent’ rating. The MOU was signed by Indu Shekhar Chaturvedi, Secretary, MNRE and Pradip Kumar Das, Chairman & Managing Director, IREDA.
ICICI Lombard partners with FreePaycard to offer health insurance solutions:
- ICICI Lombard in partnership with Freepaycard has launched Group Safeguard Insurance. This strategic partnership will make the bite-sized health insurance solutions, designed specifically for Freepaycard members, available at its multi-category partner retail outlets.
- Freepaycard members can add these health solutions on the go while shopping for other essential goods or services.
Axis Bank to buy 19% stake in Max Life against 17% earlier:
- Axis Bank has announced that it will acquire 19.002% stake in Max Life as against 17.002% stake decided earlier. The decision has been taken after, the RBI rejected Axis Banks proposal to buy 17.002% stake in Max Life.
- Now under the revised scheme, Axis Bank along with its subsidiaries Axis Capital and Axis Securities will acquire a total of 19.002% stake in Max Life.
CCI approves acquisition of General Insurance Business of Bharti AXA by ICICI Lombard:
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) approves acquisition of General Insurance Business of Bharti AXA General Insurance Company Limited (Bharti AXA) by ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Limited (ICICI Lombard) under Section 31(1) of the Competition Act, 2002.
- Bharti AXA is a general insurance company registered with the IRDAI and is a joint venture held by Bharti General Ventures Private Limited (51%) and Societe Beaujon (49%).
Science and Technology:
Indian Naval Ship Airavat reaches Port Sudan as part of ‘Mission Sagar-II’:
- Indian Naval Ship, Airavat reached Port Sudan as a part of Mission Sagar-II. Indian government is providing assistance to Friendly Foreign Countries to overcome natural calamities and COVID-19 pandemic, and towards the same INS Airavat is carrying a consignment of 100 Tonnes of food aid for the people of Sudan.
- As part of Mission Sagar-II, INS Airavat will deliver food aid to Sudan, South Sudan, Djibouti and Eritrea.
IIT Bombay launches self-help website “Bandhu” to enhance emotional well-being of students:
- Union Minister of State for Education Sanjay Dhotre launched a self-help website “Bandhu” (a friend in need) for students of IIT Bombay in the presence of Director of IIT Bombay Prof. Subhasis Chaudhuri.
- The website addresses several issues such as procrastination, exam stress, the fear of failure, hostel life, discrimination, peer pressure, Internet addiction and a range of mental health issues.
Citigroup appointed Anand Selva as the global head of consumer banking:
- Citigroup Inc has announced Anand Selva as head of its global consumer bank. He will be appointed to the post in January 2021 filling the spot left vacant by Jane Fraser when she becomes the first female CEO of a major Wall Street bank.
Awards and Recognitions:
Writer Paul Zacharia selected for the 28th Ezhuthachan Puraskaram of Kerala:
- Noted Malayalam writer Paul Zacharia has been selected for the 28th Ezhuthachan award, the highest literary award of the Kerala government. He is a recipient of many honours including Kendra Sahitya Academy Award. He has penned around 60 books.
- Salam America, Oridath, Aarkkariyam, Bhaskara patelarum ente jeevithavum are among his various literary works. Zacharia won the Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award in 1979 and the Kendra Sahitya Akademi Award in 2004.
CDAC Senior Director Dr Dinesh Katre Wins Prestigious 2020 Emmett Leahy Award:
- Dr Dinesh Katre, Senior Director and Head of Human-Centred Design & Computing Group at the Centre for Development of Advance Computing (CDAC) has won the prestigious 2020 Emmett Leahy Award. Dr. Vijay P Bhatkar Founder Executive Director of C-DAC and Chancellor of Nalanda University presented the award to Dinesh Katre.
Books and Authors:
A Book titled “Pandemonium: The Great Indian Banking Tragedy” authored by Tamal Bandyopadhyay:
- Indian business journalist Tamal Bandyopadhyay has authored a book titled “Pandemonium: The Great Indian Banking Tragedy” and will be released on November 09, 2020.
- This book is a bird’s-eye view of Indian banking and also a fly-on-wall documentary.
‘Till We Win’: Book on Covid-19 Authored by AIIMS Director Randeep Guleria:
- A new book titled “Till We Win” authored by AIIMS Director Randeep Guleria and two other doctors will give a definitive account of India’s fight against COVID-19 and how to deal with the pandemic in the days to come, announced publishing house Penguin Random House India.
Eminent violin maestro and Padma Bhushan awardee TN Krishnan passes away at 92:
- Legendary violinist T N Krishnan passed away. Krishnan started as a child prodigy and went on to perform with legends from several generations. He was honoured with many titles, including Sangeetha Kalanidhi, Padma Bhushan & Padma Vibhushan.
Lewis Hamilton wins Emilia Romagna GP as Mercedes claim seventh F1 title:
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) has won the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix 2020 held in Imola, Italy. This was his 9th win of the season and 93rd F1 win of his career. Valtteri Bottas finished second while Daniel Ricciardo finished third.
3-Day ‘Ganga Utsav 2020’ To Be Held Virtually from November 2020:
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) is organising three-day ‘Ganga Utsav 2020’ on virtual platforms from November 2 to 4. Ganga Utsav 2020 is a cultural and educational festival to celebrate the glory of the holy river Ganga.
- The aim is to connect masses to the cause of river rejuvenation and sensitive them about ecological issues through conversations and entertainment. Ganga was declared “National River” on November 4, 2008.
Assam government Laid Foundation Stone of Indo-Israeli Centre of Excellence for Vegetables Protected Cultivation at Kehtri:
- Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal laid the foundation stone of Indo-Israeli Centre of Excellence for Vegetables Protected Cultivation at Khetri on the outskirts of Guwahati in presence of Israeli Ambassador to India Dr. Ron Malka.
- The Indo-Israeli Centre of Excellence for Vegetables Protected Cultivation is estimated to be set up at an investment of Rs 10.33 Crore. It would also boost agricultural and horticultural production in Assam leading to greater economic rewards to state’s farmers.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: SarbanandaSonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- National Parks: Orang National Park, Manas National Park or Manas Wildlife Sanctuary, Dibru-Saikhowa National Park, Kaziranga National Park, Nameri National Park, Dehing Patkai Wls.
Federation of Indian Publishers organises virtual version of Delhi Book Fair 2020:
- The Federation of Indian Publishers (FIP) has organised a virtual version of Delhi Book Fair this year in light of the Corona pandemic. The book fair organised in partnership with PragatiE is a two-day online event will culminate.
- The organisers arranging the book fair online was a challenging task but expressed satisfaction that the virtual module of the Delhi book fair 2020 has opened up new and future avenues of marketing books.
- Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal.
PM Narendra Modi chairs global investor roundtable virtually:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi chairs Global Investor Roundtable virtually to provide an opportunity to leading global investors and Indian business leaders to engage and deliberate with senior policy makers on how to further accelerate the growth of international investments in the country.
- The Virtual Global Investor Roundtable (VGIR) is being organised by the Ministry of Finance and the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund, the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
Larsen & Toubro bags construction order of bullet train project:
- Larsen & Toubro (L&T) has bagged another construction package of the bullet train project for an estimated value of ₹7,000 crore. Larsen & Toubro is close to bagging its largest order ever as it has emerged the lowest bidder to construct a significant part of the Ahmedabad-Mumbai bullet train project, beating two others in the race with a bid of Rs 24,958 crore.
- National High Speed Rail Corporation (NHRCL) opened the financial bids for the tender to design and construct the 237 km-mainline, of the 508 km long Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail corridor.
Jaipur, Indore among 30 indian cities feature in WWF list of 100 cities to face greatest rise in water risks by 2050:
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has painted a grim picture for India, pointing towards its looming water crisis. According to WWF Water Risk Filter report, nearly 30 Indian cities, including Jaipur, Indore, Amritsar, Pune, Srinagar, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Mumbai, Kozhikode and Visakhapatnam will face acute “Water Risks”.
- 100 cities will witness a massive rise in water risks by 2050. The list also includes cities such as Beijing, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Istanbul, Hong Kong, Mecca and Rio de Janeiro.
Telangana CM K Chandrasekhar Rao to inaugurate Rythu Vedika scheme to address farmers’ issues:
- Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao will inaugurate the first Rythu Vedika at Kodakandla mandal headquarters in Jangaon district. He will address farmers and the general public to explain the reasons behind setting up of the Rythu Vedika, their importance, programmes and utilities.
- Each Rythu Vedika has two rooms and two toilets with a plinth area of 2,046 square feet. They will be provided with electricity and tap water connections.
- Capital: Hyderabad
- Chief Minister: K. Chandrashekar Rao
- Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
- National Parks(NP): KasuBrahmananda Reddy NP, Mahaveer Harina NP, Mrugavani NP.
India, US, Japan and Australia kick-starts Malabar naval exercise in Bay of Bengal:
- The Navies of India, US, Japan and Australia held a series of complex manoeuvres in the Bay of Bengal, kick-starting the four-day-long first phase of the Malabar naval exercise.
- The Phase-I of the exercise will be held from November 3 to 6 while the Phase-II is scheduled to be held from November 17 to 20 in the Arabian sea.
Banking and Economy:
RBI to extend trading hours from 2 pm to 3:30 pm starting from November 9:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will restore trading hours in the bond and currency markets in a graded manner, effective November 9. The market opening time was revised to 10 a.m. instead of 9 a.m. for all segments. Closing timing too was revised to 2 p.m.
- Trading hours for Commercial paper and Certificates of Deposit, Repo in Corporate Bonds, Government Securities, Foreign Currency/Indian Rupee Trades including Forex Derivatives, Rupee Interest Rate Derivatives, and Call/notice/term money will be 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. However, the market will continue to open at 10 a.m. instead of 9 a.m.
HDFC ERGO Insurance Implements AI Enabled Solution to Automate Motor Claim Settlements:
- India’s third-largest private non-life insurance company HDFC ERGO General Insurance announced the launch of the AI tool IDEAS (Intelligent Damage Detection Estimation and Assessment Solution) for motor claim settlements.
- The IDEAS module uses Neural Network image processing & Analytics, Machine Learning and Natural Language that supports instant damage detection as well as calculation of the claims estimate for the surveyors to help in motor claims settlement in real-time.
Aegon Life Insurance Launches Life + 36 critical illness Insurance’ on Flipkart:
- Aegon Life Insurance, the pioneer of digital insurance in India, announced the launch of ‘Life + 36 critical illness Insurance’ on Flipkart at the starting premium of just Rs 153 for a life cover of Rs 1 lakh plus Critical Illness cover of Rs 10,000.
- The policy covers most of the life-threatening illnesses such as Cancer, Heart Attack, Kidney Failure, Stroke, Burns, Alzheimer and 30 other diseases.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
TransUnion CIBIL and Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MoSPI) launch MSME Credit Health Index:
- TransUnion CIBIL in partnership with Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MoSPI) has launched MSME Credit Health Index to provide a reliable measure and benchmark of the growth and strength of the MSME sector in India.
- The MSME Credit Health Index will provide government, policy makers, lenders and MSME market participants, a unique and reliable numeric indicator for measuring and benchmarking the health of the MSME sector.
Duarte Pacheco of Portugal elected as new President of Inter Parliamentary Union:
- Duarte Pacheco of Portugal has been elected as the new President of Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU) for the period 2020-2023. He will be the 30th President of the IPU, and will succeed Mexican MP Gabriela Cuevas Barron who completed the tenure in October 2020.
- Portugal has won the elections for the post the President of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), the voting. The Indian Parliamentary Delegation led by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla and consisting of Poonamben Hematbhai Maadam, MP and Shri Swapan Dasgupta, MP attended the meeting of the IPU Governing Council.
Alassane Ouattara wins 3rd term as Ivory Coast president:
- Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara won a third term a victory that came after his opponents had urged followers to boycott the election. He won 94% of the vote even though the 2016 Ivory Coast constitution limits the president to two terms. He was serving his 2nd consecutive term as the President of the country.
Ivory Coast (Côte d’Ivoire):
- Capital: Yamoussoukro (Administratice Capital), Abidjan (Economic Capital)
- President: Alassane Ouattara
- Currency: West African CFA franc.
Bollywood Actor Rajkummar Rao appointed as new brand ambassador of Syska Group:
- Fast Moving Electrical Goods (FMEG) company Syska Group, has roped in actor Rajkummar Rao as the new face of the brand. He will promote the Syska products across LED and fan segments. With this partnership, company aims to reach the masses across tier 2 & tier 3 cities. First ever brand ambassador of Syska was actor Irrfan Khan.
ONGC Videsh appoints Alok Gupta as MD and CEO
- AK Gupta, the new Managing Director and CEO of ONGC Videsh Limited (OVL) took charge. Before this, Gupta was Director (Operations) of the company.
- OVL is the International Petroleum Company of India and the overseas arm of national oil and gas major Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Limited.
Awards and Recognitions
HDFC Bank is “Most Outstanding Company – Financial Sector” in India; Asiamoney Report:
- HDFC Bank Ltd has been voted “Most Outstanding Company – Financial Sector” in India, in a poll conducted by well-known publication, Asiamoney. HDFC has been given the honour for the 2nd consecutive year.
- Bharti Airtel won the overall winner by Market in India. Asiamoney aims to identify and recognise listed companies in two categories which are by country and by sector.
Gujarati Filmmaker and Actor Ashish Kakkad Passes Away at 49:
- Gujarati filmmaker actor and voice artist Ashish Kakkad passed away. Ashish was known for his directorial ventures Better Half (2010) and Mission Mummy (2016). As an actor, he was most notably seen in Abhishek Kapoor’s Kai Po Che! in 2013.
Bihar’s shortest-serving CM Satish Prasad Singh passed away at 87:
- Satish Prasad Singh, former Chief Minister(CM) and Socialist of Bihar passed away due to illness in Delhi. He became the 6th and the shortest- served CM of Bihar for 5 days (28 January to February 1, 1968).
Australian Cricketer Shane Watson announces retirement from all forms of Cricket:
- The 39-year-old former Australia vice-captain and all-rounder Shane Watson has announced retirement from all forms of cricket.
- Watson played almost 750 matches at all levels, leaving the game with 59 Tests, 190 ODIs and 58 T20s for his country. The allrounder is a two-time Allan Border medallist, a dual IPL MVP and former Australia captain in all formats.
Andrey Rublev beat Lorenzo Sonego to Claim Fifth Title of 2020 In Vienna:
- 23-year-old Russian Andrey Rublev beat Lorenzo Sonego to win the Erste Bank Open, lifting his ATP Tour-leading fifth title of the season. Andrey is now tied with World No. 1 Novak Djokovic atop the 2020 match wins leaderboard with 39.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of November 3 & 4, 2020 now from the link given below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.