Daily Current Affairs: October 28, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (October 28, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Occupational Therapy Day – 27 October
- World Occupational Therapy Day is observed on 27 October to heighten the visibility of occupational therapy’s development work and to promote the activities of the World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT) locally, nationally and internationally.
- The World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT) is the global voice of the occupational therapy profession, with 101 national occupational therapy professional organisations across the world.
- The Theme for the year 2021 is ‘Belong. Be You’.
International Animation Day – 28 October
- International Animation Day is observed on 28 October to recognise and celebrate the artists, the scientists and the technicians behind animated art, including animated movies.
- International Animation Day was initiated by International Animated Film Association (ASIFA), a member of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
Union Civil Aviation Ministry launches the Krishi Udan 2.0 scheme to boost transport of agri -products
- Union Ministry of Civil Aviation launched the Krishi Udan 2.0 scheme, under which cargo-related infrastructure will be created in airports in the Northeast, mountainous regions and tribal areas to help farmers in transporting agricultural products.
- This scheme was launched in 2020 by the Union Government and it waived airport charges such as parking charges and terminal navigational landing charges on select Indian airports for air cargo operators if the agricultural cargo is over 50 per cent of the total chargeable weight carried.
- The Union Government would assist the development of the hub and spoke model in India and establish cargo terminals at airports in phases under the Krishi Udan 2.0 scheme.
Union Minister of MSME Narayan Rane launches ‘SAMBHAV’ programme for promoting entrepreneurship
- Union Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) Narayan Rane launched a national level awareness programme named ‘SAMBHAV’ for promoting entrepreneurship leading to the economic development of India.
- This programme will be a one-month initiative under the Union Ministry of MSME in which 130 field offices of the Ministry would encourage students from various colleges/ITIs from all across India to pursue entrepreneurship.
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman participates in the Sixth Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) held virtually
- Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman participated in the Sixth Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) that was held virtually and urged AIIB to explore investment opportunities for the development of social infrastructure.
- This year’s (2021) meeting was jointly organised by AIIB and the Government of the United Arab Emirates on the theme of ‘Investing Today and Transforming Tomorrow’.
- India is a founding member and the second-largest shareholder in AIIB and also has one of the largest project portfolios within AIIB.
Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Founded: 16 January 2016
- President: Jin Liqun
National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) launches Skill Impact Bond
- National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) launched the first-of-its-kind Skill Impact Bond in collaboration with some of the global partners for sharing the vision of an ‘employment ready’ young India.
- The global technical partners include HRH Prince Charles’ British Asian Trust, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation (MSDF), The Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, HSBC India, JSW Foundation and Dubai Cares, as well as FCDO (UK Government) and USAID.
- The Skill Impact Bond is a collaboration between the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and prestigious worldwide organisations and individuals who share NSDC’s aim of improving skilling outcomes in India. This financial tool takes a business-like approach to philanthropy and promotes accountability, which aids in the attainment of defined goals.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister launches a unique academic scheme named ‘Illam Thedi Kalvi’ at Villupuram
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. K. Stalin launched a unique academic scheme, ‘Illam Thedi Kalvi’, at Villupuram to brighten up the future of the younger generation.
- This scheme will be operational from 15 November and is committed to promoting education at all levels, right from school to university and for all sections of society.
- It was created to fill the learning gap that had developed among kids as a result of school closures during the COVID-19 pandemic-induced lockdown.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: M. K. Stalin
- Governor: R. N. Ravi
- National Parks: Mukurthi National Park, Guindy National Park, Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park, Indira Gandhi (Annamalai) National Park, Mudumalai National Park
Rajasthan ranks second after Karnataka on the State Energy Efficiency Index 2020
- Rajasthan ranked second behind Karnataka in the Union Ministry of Power’s State Energy Efficiency Index (SEEI) 2020.
- The State Energy Efficiency Index assesses the states in four categories — Aspirant with a score below 30 points, Contenders with a score between 30–50, Achievers with a score of 50–60 and the Frontrunners with a score of above 60 points.
- Rajasthan has registered 61 points in 2020, a significant improvement over the previous year’s index score of 18.5 points, according to the SEEI 2019.
- Capital: Jaipur
- Chief Minister: Ashok Gehlot
- Governor: Kalraj Mishra
- National Parks: Desert National Park, Keoladeo Ghana National Park, Mukundra Hills National Park, Ranthambhore National Park, Sariska National Park
Bengaluru Metro is set to launch the National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) and QR ticketing facility
- Passengers to Namma Metro stations in Bengaluru could soon use the National Common Mobility Card (NCMC), as well as QR-coded ticketing, which is set to be launched by the Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation (BMRCL).
- The Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation (BMRCL) has installed one or two new Automatic Fare Collection (AFC) gates at each Phase 1 Metro station. The new AFC gates accept both QR-code and open-loop NCMC. Phase 2 Metro stations already have NCMC and QR-code compliant AFC gates.
Banking & Economy
Asian Development Bank and India sign a $100 million loan agreement for agribusiness development in Maharashtra
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Indian Government signed a $100 million loan to create an agribusiness network in Maharashtra to enhance farm incomes and reduce food losses.
- This project supports agribusiness development in Maharashtra by providing holistic support for on-farm productivity enhancement, post-harvest facility upgrades, and the establishment of efficient marketing systems.
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Founded: 19 December 1966
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
PayU launches tokenisation solution named ‘PayU Token Hub’
- PayU has launched its tokenisation solution ‘PayU Token Hub’, which will allow enterprises to comply with the RBI’s current guidelines on online card data storage while also allowing issuing banks to create their own tokens.
- PayU Token Hub is a plug-and-play interoperable system that enables card-on-file and device tokenisation from a single integration point.
K. V. Kamath was appointed as the Chairperson of the National Bank for Financing Infrastructure and Development (NaBFID)
- The former chief of the New Development Bank, V. Kamath, was appointed as the Chairperson of the newly set up development finance institution National Bank for Financing Infrastructure and Development (NaBFID).
- Indian Parliament had cleared the National Bank for Financing Infrastructure and Development (NaBFID) Bill 2021 to support the development of long-term non-recourse infrastructure financing in India, including the development of the bonds and derivatives markets necessary for infrastructure financing.
Subash C. Khuntia was appointed as the Part-time Chairman of Jana Small Finance Bank
- The Chairman of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI), Subash Chandra Khuntia, was appointed as the Part-time Chairman of Jana Small Finance Bank to strengthen the board and support the bank through the next phase of growth.
- He was a 1981-batch Indian Administrative Services (IAS) officer and has earlier worked as Chief Secretary to Government of Karnataka, Secretary to Government of India’s Department of School Education.
Awards and Honours
Karnataka Bank was conferred with the ‘Top Organisations with Innovative HR Practices’ Award
- Karnataka Bank was conferred with the ‘Top Organisations with Innovative HR Practices’ Award at the 19th edition of the Asia–Pacific HRM Congress held at Bengaluru.
- This award is another feather in Karnataka Bank’s cap for its innovative HR practices, such as the ‘online e-learning module,’ which equips its personnel with necessary new-age skills to cater to evolving consumer demands.
Ranks and Indices
India was ranked ninth in venture capital funding for climate tech investment
- According to a report by London & Partners and Dealroom.co, India ranked at the ninth spot in venture capital for climate tech investment, with India’s climate tech businesses receiving US$ 1 billion in venture capital funding between 2016 and 2021.
- The top 10 countries for climate tech VC investment between 2016 and 2021 are — US, China, Sweden, UK, France, Germany, Canada, Netherlands, India and Singapore.
Science & Technology
India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni 5
- India successfully test-fired the Agni 5 surface-to-surface ballistic missile from APJ Abdul Kalam Island in Odisha.
- This missile employs a three-stage solid-fuelled engine and is capable of striking targets at ranges of up to 5000 km with extreme precision.
- It is about 17-metre long and 2-metre wide. It has a launch weight of around 50 tonnes.
- India currently has Agni 1 with a range of 700 km, Agni 2 with a range of 2,000 km, Agni 3 and Agni 4 with a range of 2,500 km to more than 3500 km.
Hiroshima atomic bomb survivor Sunao Tsuboi passed away
- A leading Japanese campaigner against nuclear weapons, Sunao Tsuboi, who survived the world’s first atomic bomb attack in Hiroshima has passed away at the age of 96.
- When former US President Barack Obama made his historic visit to Hiroshima in 2016, he and Tsuboi held each other’s hand in a long handshake and shared a laugh.
Daily CA- 28 October One liners
|World Occupational Therapy Day – 27 October|
|International Animation Day – 28 October|
|Union Civil Aviation Ministry launches the Krishi Udan 2.0 scheme to boost transport of agri -products|
|Union Minister of MSME Narayan Rane launches ‘SAMBHAV’ programme for promoting entrepreneurship|
|Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman participates in the Sixth Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) held virtually|
|National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) launches Skill Impact Bond|
|Tamil Nadu Chief Minister launches a unique academic scheme named ‘Illam Thedi Kalvi’ at Villupuram|
|Rajasthan ranks second after Karnataka on the State Energy Efficiency Index 2020|
|Bengaluru Metro is set to launch the National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) and QR ticketing facility|
|Asian Development Bank and India sign a $100 million loan agreement for agribusiness development in Maharashtra|
|PayU launches tokenisation solution named ‘PayU Token Hub’|
|K. V. Kamath was appointed as the Chairperson of the National Bank for Financing Infrastructure and Development (NaBFID)|
|Subash C. Khuntia was appointed as the Part-time Chairman of Jana Small Finance Bank|
|Karnataka Bank was conferred with the ‘Top Organisations with Innovative HR Practices’ Award|
|India was ranked ninth in venture capital funding for climate tech investment|
|India successfully test-fires surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni 5|
|Hiroshima atomic bomb survivor Sunao Tsuboi passed away|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of October 28, 2021, now from the link given below.