Daily Current Affairs: October 6, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (October 6, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launches the Jal Jeevan Mission mobile application
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a newly designed Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) mobile application that will enable anyone to fund the provision of tap water in rural parts of India.
- This mobile app aims to enhance the awareness among stakeholders and ensure greater transparency and accountability of schemes under the Jal Jeevan Mission.
- The Jal Jeevan Mission was launched in 2019 by the Union Ministry of Jal Shakti to ensure 100 per cent functional tap water supply in rural areas by 2024.
Union Minister of Jal Shakti: Gajendra Singh Shekhawat
Union Health Ministry plans to observe the ‘Mental Health Awareness Campaign Week’ from 10 October
- The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has planned to observe the Mental Health Awareness Campaign Week from 10 October, which is observed as a World Mental Health Day to raise awareness on mental health issues and mobilise efforts to support mental health.
- The Mental Health Awareness Campaign Week is being observed to encourage people’s participation to break the stigma surrounding mental disorders.
Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare: Mansukh L. Mandaviya
Banking & Economy
Kotak Mahindra Bank becomes the first scheduled private sector bank to collect direct and indirect taxes
- Kotak Mahindra Bank has received approval from the Government of India and has become the first scheduled private sector bank for the collection of direct and indirect taxes such as Income Tax and Goods and Services Tax (GST) through its banking network.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank customers will be able to pay their direct and indirect taxes straight from its mobile banking or net banking platforms as well as through a branch banking network, resulting in immense ease and convenience for the customers of Kotak Mahindra Bank.
Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Headquarters:Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD & CEO: Uday Kotak
ESAF Small Finance Bank launches a current account product named ‘Supreme’ for Non-Resident Indians
- ESAF Small Finance Bank has launched a current account product named ‘Supreme’ for Non-Resident Indians in which the bank provides various features with this account, such as hassle-free banking, enhanced ATM cash withdrawal limit of Rs.50,000 per day in India, point of sale (POS) transaction limit of Rs.80,000 per day in India and an e-commerce transaction limit of Rs.20,000 per day in India.
ESAF Small Finance Bank
Moody’s upgrades India’s rating outlook to ‘stable’ from ‘negative’
- Moody’s Investors Service changed its outlook on India’s sovereign ratings to ‘stable’ from ‘negative’ at Baa3.
- The lowest investment grade rating is ‘Baa3.’ The credit risk is moderate for obligations associated with this rating. It is considered medium- grade and may possess certain speculative characteristics. A ‘stable’ outlook indicates a low likelihood of a rating change over the medium term.
The fifth edition of the India–Japan maritime bilateral exercise ‘JIMEX’ is set to be held in the Arabian Sea
- The fifth edition of the India–Japan Maritime bilateral exercise ‘JIMEX’ will be held between the Indian Navy and the Japan Maritime Self-Defence Force (JMSDF) in the Arabian Sea from 6–8 October 2021.
- This exercise aims to build a common understanding of operational procedures and improve interoperability across the whole spectrum of maritime operations by conducting various advanced exercises.
- Capital: Tokyo
- Currency: Yen
- Prime Minister: Fumio Kishida
Awards and Recognitions
USIBC presents the 2021 Global Leadership Humanitarian Awards to CEOs of Microsoft, IBM and Accenture
- The US–India Business Council (USIBC) has presented the 2021 Global Leadership Humanitarian Awards to the CEO of Accenture Julie Sweet, CEO of IBM Arvind Krishna and President of Microsoft Brad Smith, in recognition of their strong leadership and contributions towards the Global Task Force (GTF)on pandemic response.
- This Global Task Force highlighted the power of purpose-driven public-private partnerships to have a real impact on people’s lives.
Wada Kolam rice from Maharashtra gets Geographical Indication (GI) tag
- Wada Kolam rice or Zini or Jhini rice widely grown in Maharashtra’s Palghar district has got the Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
- Wada Kolam rice is priced between 60-70 per kilogram in domestic markets and has a sizable demand overseas as well.
Benjamin List and David W. C. Macmillan receive the Nobel Prize for Chemistry 2021
- The 2021 Nobel Prize for Chemistry from the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has been awarded to German scientist Benjamin List of the Max Planck Institute and Scotland-born scientist David W.C. MacMillan of Princeton University for the development of asymmetric organocatalysis.
- Benjamin List and David MacMillan have developed a new and ingenious tool for molecule building —organocatalysis,which is used to include research into new pharmaceuticals and it has also helped make chemistry greener.
- Organocatalysis has developed at an astounding speed. Using these reactions, researchers can now more efficiently construct anything from new pharmaceuticals to molecules that can capture light in solar cells.
Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB) bags two PFRDA awards
- The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) has awarded Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB) with two national awards, ‘APY Big Believers’ and ‘Leadership Capital’ for considerable enrolment under the Atal Pension Yojana (APY).
- KVGB is playing a pivotal role in implementing all three social security schemes (Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana(PMJJBY),
- Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana(PMSBY) and Atal Pension Yojana (APY)) launched by the Union Government.
Two-time National Basketball Association (NBA) champion Pau Gasol announces retirement from basketball
- Spanish basketball player Pau Gasol has announced his retirement from his 23-year basketball career.
- He lasted more than two decades and earned two National Basketball Association (NBA) titles and the World Championship gold medal with Spain’s national team.
- He won a World Championship title with Spain in 2006, in addition to European titles in 2009, 2011 and 2015.
FC Goa clinches the 130th edition of the Durand Cup
- Indian Super League (ISL) side FC Goa clinched the 130th edition of the Durand Cup as they beat Kolkata-based Mohammedan Sporting Club at the Vivekananda Yuvabharati Krirangan, Kolkata, West Bengal. This is FC Goa’s maiden Durand Cup title.
- This was FC Goa’s second-ever domestic victory,having won the Indian Super Cup back in 2019.
Former Chief Secretary of Andaman & Nicobar Islands Shakti Sinha passed away
- Retired bureaucrat Shakti Sinha, who served as the private secretary to former Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee,passed away.
- He also served as the Chief Secretary of Andaman & Nicobar Islands and also as the Education Secretary of Goa.
Veteran actor Arvind Trivedi passed away
- Veteran actor Arvind Trivedi, who played the role of Ravan in Ramanand Sagar’s 1987 iconic TV series Ramayan, passed away at the age of 82.
- He acted in nearly 300 Hindi and Gujarati movies and found immense popularity on the TV series Ramayan.
- In 1991, he was elected as a Member of Parliament from Sabarkatha constituency and was in the office till 1996.
Daily CA- 6 October One liners:
|Prime Minister Narendra Modi launches the Jal Jeevan Mission mobile application|
|Union Health Ministry plans to observe the ‘Mental Health Awareness Campaign Week’ from 10 October|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank becomes the first scheduled private sector bank to collect direct and indirect taxes|
|ESAF Small Finance Bank launches a current account product named ‘Supreme’ for Non-Resident Indians|
|Moody’s upgrades India’s rating outlook to ‘stable’ from ‘negative’|
|The fifth edition of the India–Japan maritime bilateral exercise ‘JIMEX’ is set to be held in the Arabian Sea|
|USIBC presents the 2021 Global Leadership Humanitarian Awards to CEOs of Microsoft, IBM and Accenture|
|Wada Kolam rice from Maharashtra gets Geographical Indication (GI) tag|
|Benjamin List and David W. C. Macmillan receive the Nobel Prize for Chemistry 2021|
|Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB) bags two PFRDA awards|
|Two-time National Basketball Association (NBA) champion Pau Gasol announces retirement from basketball|
|FC Goa clinches the 130th edition of the Durand Cup|
|Former Chief Secretary of Andaman & Nicobar Islands Shakti Sinha passed away|
|Veteran actor Arvind Trivedi passed away|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of October 6, 2021, now from the link given below.