DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : SEP 08, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (SEP 08 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Literacy Day- September 8:
- International Literacy Day was observed on 8 September. It was declared international literacy day by UNESCO on 26 October 1966 at 14th session of UNESCO’s General conference. It was celebrated for the first time in 1967.
- Theme: “Literacy teaching & learning in Covid-19 crisis and beyond”.
World Physical Therapy Day- September 8:
- World Physical Therapy Day is observed on 8 September every year. The day provides an opportunity to recognise the work that physiotherapists do for their patients and the community. Let us read in detail about the World Physical Therapy Day, theme, history, significance, etc.
- Theme: “Rehabilitation After Severe Respiratory Illness”.
Union minister Hardeep Singh Puri e-launches Kochi Metro Thykoodam-Petta stretch:
- Housing & Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri launched Thykoodam-Petta stretch of Kochi Metro through video conference. The launch marks the completion of Phase I of Kerala Metro service which is estimated to be completed at a cost of Rs ₹6218 crore. Kochi metro has a dedicated Automated Fare Collection system.
Assam State Rural Livelihoods Mission signs MoU with Northeast Small Finance Bank:
- Assam State Rural Livelihoods Mission (ASRLM) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with North East Small Finance Bank (NESFB) on Saturday to work in cohesion in support of Bank Linkage of the Self-Help Groups (SHGs) and Producer Groups/ Enterprises under ASRLM.
- ASRLM is the first amongst all the State Livelihood Missions to initiate the signing of MoU with the new generation small finance banks. The MoU was signed by Utpala Saikia, SMD, ASRLM and Rupali Kalita, Managing Director cum CEO, NESFB.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: SarbanandaSonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- National Parks: Orang National Park, Manas National Park or Manas Wildlife Sanctuary, Dibru-Saikhowa National Park, Kaziranga National Park, Nameri National Park.
Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal Relaunches ’10 Hafte 10 Baje 10 Minute’ Anti-dengue Campaign:
- Delhi’s Chief Minister Arwind Kejriwal will kicked-off the second edition of the 10-week long anti-dengue campaign. The aim of this campaign is to create awareness on prevention of vector-borne diseases like dengue among the people of Delhi, said the officials.
- Last year, the ’10 Hafte 10 Baje 10 Minute’ campaign received support from many celebrities as well as government officials.
- Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal
Gujarat will be first to implement National Education Policy 2020:
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani said his government aims to become the first to implement the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 and will soon form a task force to create a road map for the same.
- It comprises of 15 politicians, administrative officials and academicians. It is to study NEP-2020 and take implementation measures.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
NITI Aayog constitutes Multidimensional Poverty Index Coordination Committee (MPICC):
- NITI Aayog has constituted a Multidimensional Poverty Index Coordination Committee (MPICC). The MPICC is chaired by Sanyukta Samaddar, Adviser (SDG).
- NITI Aayog is the nodal agency for the Global Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) and has been assigned the responsibility of leveraging the monitoring mechanism for it and to drive reforms.
Tamil Nadu CM releases state’s Electronic Hardware Manufacturing Policy-2020:
- Tamil Nadu government announced a new electronics & hardware manufacturing policy to increase the State’s electronics industry output to $100 billion by 2025. It hopes to contribute 25 per cent of India’s total electronic exports to the world by 2025. It undertakes skill training for more than 1Lakh people by 2024.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor:Banwarilal Purohit.
Union Minister Thaawarchand Gehlot launched ‘24×7 toll-free Mental Health Rehabilitation Helpline ‘KIRAN’:
- Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot virtually launched the 24×7 Toll-Free Mental Health Rehabilitation Helpline “KIRAN” (1800-500-0019). The aim is to provide relief and support to persons with Mental Illness.
Banking and Economy
RBI constituted KV Kamath committee names 26 sectors for restructuring:
- RBI released the report a five-member committee that the central bank formed under the chairmanship of former ICICI Bank CEO KV Kamath for recommending parameters for loan restructuring.
- The committee made recommendations for 26 sectors that could be factored by lending institutions while finalizing loan resolution plans.
Science and Technology
DRDO successfully flight tests Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle (HSTDV):
- A product of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), the vehicle supposedly utilizes air-breathing scramjet technology to propel it to hypersonic speeds. The cruise vehicle attained 6 times the speed of sound.
- India has now joined a group of nations including the US, Russia & China that have demonstrated hypersonic technology.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
SREI Equipment Finance bags €10-m loan from KfW IPEX-Bank:
- SREI Equipment Finance has bagged a €10-million (about 87 crore) loan from KfW IPEX-Bank to facilitate German exports to India. The financing is backed by cover from Euler Hermes.
- Through this arrangement, KfW IPEX-Bank will provide modern and energy-efficient construction machinery for use in Indian infrastructure projects.
WHO Appoints Former Health Secretary Preeti Sudan To Its Panel For Pandemic Preparedness:
- World Health Organisation’s independent panel for pandemic response has appointed India’s former health secretary Preeti Sudan as one of its 11 panellists from across the world. However, the decision by the panel’s head, former New Zealand PM Helen Clarke and former Liberia President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, received a subdued response from India.
Justice R F Nariman appointed as chairperson of Supreme Court Legal Services Committee:
- Central Authority nominated Justice R F Nariman as the chairperson of Supreme Court Legal Services Committee. SCLSC is constituted for implementing legal services programme insofar as it relates to the Supreme Court. He will replace Justice Arun Mishra.
Vinkesh Gulati Appointed As Fada’s 35th President For The Year 2020-22:
- Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA), the apex national body of Automobile Retail in India has announced the appointment of Vinkesh Gulati as FADA’s 35th President for the year 2020-22. He is also the first President from Uttar Pradesh.
- Vinkesh Gulati took over the new role from Ashish Harsharaj Kale, who presided on the body for the last two years.
R Masakui Appointed As Next High Commissioner Of India To Jamaica:
- Diplomat R Masakui has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to Jamaica. Masakui is presently Ambassador of India to the Republic of Zimbabwe. He has also served as Director in the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Prime Minister: Andrew Holness.
Awards and Recognitions:
Police Officer Poonam Khatri crowned Wushu World Champion:
- Indian Wushu stalwart Poonam Khatri claimed World Championship status after her silver medal at Wushu World Championship last year was upgraded to a Gold medal. Poonam had lost the final to Iranian opponent Mariyam but she recently failed the dope test.
Renowned radio astronomer and Padma Shri Govind Swarup dies at 91:
- Globally acclaimed scientist Govind Swarup, one of the pioneers in radio-astronomy, passed away. He played a key role in building highly innovative, world-class radio telescopes such as Ooty Radio Telescope and the Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope (GMRT).
Oscar-winner Czech Director Jiri Menzel died at 82:
- Czech film director Jiri Menzel has taken his last breath. He was born in Prague, Czechoslovakia. in the year, he earned an Academy Award (Oscars) for Best Foreign Language film “Closely Watched Trains“.
Kesavananda Bharati Swamiji of Edneer Mutt passed away at 80:
- Swami Kesavananda Bharati, head of Edneer Mutt in Kerala’s Kasaragod, passes away at 79. The pontiff of Edneer Mutt Swami Keshavananda Bharathi attained samadhi at Kasargod in Kerala.
Former BSF DIG Dr Mahesh Kumar Dwivedy passes away at 73:
- Former DIG of BSF (Medical Wing) Dr Mahesh Kumar Dwivedy passed away after prolonged illness. Dr Dwivedy, a native of Sukinda in Jajpur district served in North-East Punjab and various parts of the country as a doctor in the BSF.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.