DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : SEP 17, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (SEP 17 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Patient Safety Day- 17 September:
- Patient Safety is a health care discipline that emerged with the evolving complexity in health care systems and the resulting rise of patient harm in health care facilities. It aims to prevent and reduce risks, errors and harm that occur to patients during provision of health care.
- Theme: “Safe health workers, Safe patients”.
Provision of Rs 40,000 crore made under MGNREGA Scheme through Aatma Nirbhar Bharat Package:
- Government has made a provision of 40 thousand crore rupees under MGNREGA Scheme through Aatma Nirbhar Bharat Package to provide employment to the needy workers.
- It is in addition to allocation of 61 thousand 5 hundred crore rupees under MGNREGA for Financial Year 2020-21.
Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated 4th Global Ayurveda Summit virtually:
- The 4th edition of Global Ayurveda Summit was virtually inaugurated by Vice-President Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu on the theme “Emerging Opportunities for Ayurveda during Pandemic”. The objective of the summit is to showcase the Ayurveda immunity model to the global level as a solution named ‘Health as One’ and ‘Immunity through Ayurveda’.
- Global Ayurveda Summit is being organized by the CII (Confederation of Indian Industry)-Kerala in partnership with Ministry of Ayush (Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy).
Gujarat government and SIDBI ink MoU to help MSMEs amid COVID-19 crisis:
- Gujarat government signed an MoU with the Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) to increase self-reliance and provide capacity building and market support to the state’s 35 lakh micro-small-medium enterprises (MSMEs).
- State Additional Chief Secretary of Industries and Mines MK Das and SIDBI Deputy Managing Director Vasantharao Satya Venkata Rao signed the MoU in the presence of Chief Minister Vijay Rupani in
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- National Park: Blackbuck NP, Vansda NP, Gir Forest NP, Marine NP, Gulf of Kutch.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister to inaugurate ‘Poshan Sarkar’ programme:
- ‘Poshan Sarkar’ programme is being started to ensure participation and leadership of local bodies-Gram Panchayats and Urban Bodies in the nutrition campaign. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will inaugurate this programme.
- The main objective of the Poshan Sarkar programme is to eliminate the malnutrition by helping the Gram Panchayat and the Urban Bodies in the nutrition campaign.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
India joins Djibouti Code of Conduct to Enhances Indian Ocean outreach:
- India has joined the Djibouti Code of Conduct/ Jeddah Amendment, as Observer, following the high level meeting of the Djibouti Code of Conduct/ Jeddah Amendment (DCOC/JA) held virtually boosting its Indian Ocean Region outreach.
10th Indo-US Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI) Group Meeting held virtually:
- 10th Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI) Group Meeting through virtual platform held between India and United States, in the wake of COVID pandemic.
- The DTTI Group Meetings are normally held twice a year, alternatively between India and the United States, as a part of Indo-US Bilateral Defence Cooperation. The virtual meeting was co-chaired by Raj Kumar, Secretary of Defence Production, Defence Ministry and Ellen M. Lord from the US Department of Defence.
India, Brazil, South Africa (IBSA) Jointly call for comprehensive reform of UN Security Council:
- External Affairs Minister Dr S. Jaishankar chaired the meeting of IBSA Foreign Minister. IBSA emphasized the need for international community to redouble efforts to achieve tangible progress for accelerated & comprehensive reform of the UN Security Council.
Banking and Economy:
OECD projects India’s GDP at -10.2% in FY21 & 10.7% in FY22, Global GDP at -4.5% in 2020:
- Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) expects the Indian economy to contract by 2% in FY21 (2020-21) as compared to its previous estimate of 16.7% in June. India’s gross domestic product (GDP) to grow at 10.7 % For FY22 (2021-22),
- OECD expects the global GDP at –5% in 2020, which is an upward revision from its previous estimate of -6%.
India’s GDP to contract by 8.6% in FY21; UBS Securities:
- Swiss brokerage UBS Securities said it forecasts a GDP contraction of 6 per cent (Earlier it was -5.8%) in FY21 as against its earlier prediction of 5.8 per cent, citing factors including the “modest” government response to the crisis for its estimate. UBS Securities projects India’s GDP to grow by 10% for FY22.
Lok Sabha Passes Bill To Bring Cooperative Banks Under RBI Supervision:
- Lok Sabha passed an amendment to the Banking Regulation Act to bring cooperative banks under the supervision of the RBI.
- The Banking Regulation (Amendment) Bill, 2020 replaces an ordinance that was issued on June 26. It will bring 1,482 urban and 58 multi-state cooperative banks under the supervision of the central bank. The amendments do not apply to Primary Agricultural Credit Society (PACS).
State Bank Of India Extends OTP-Based ATM Withdrawal Facility:
- To safeguard customers from frauds and to minimize unauthorised transactions OTP-based withdrawals of ₹ 10,000 and above will be available 24×7 at SBI’s ATMs with effect from September 18. SBI which introduced this for 12 hours on Jan 1 is extended now.
SBI Partners with Titan to launch India’s first contactless payment watch “Titan Pay”:
- State Bank of India (SBI), India’s largest public sector lender, and Titan Company have partnered to launch contactless payment services through watches, called “Titan Pay”. With this SBI account holders can tap their Titan Pay watch on contactless payment POS machine without swiping or inserting SBI bank card.
SBM Bank India Partners With Mastercard To Debut ‘Premium’ Debit Card:
- Mumbai-based lender SBM Bank India and Mastercard have introduced a Premium Debit Card for high-net-worth customers. The SBM World Debit Card will club niche banking solutions and carefully curated lifestyle privileges including some of the finest shopping and dining opportunities.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
HCL and Google Cloud Expand Partnership to Deliver Accelerated Business Intelligence Platform:
- HCL and Google Cloud partnered to bring HCL’s Actian portfolio starting with Actian Avalanche to Google Cloud. Actian Avalanche is a high-performance hybrid cloud data warehouse designed to power an enterprise’s most demanding operational analytics workloads.
BHEL ties up with SwissRapide AG to bring Maglev trains to India:
- State-run engineering firm BHEL announced its tie up with SwissRapide AG to bring Maglev trains (magnetic levitation) to India. Aimed at expanding its footprint in the urban transportation sector as part of its diversification initiatives, BHEL has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with SwissRapide AG for Maglev Train projects in India.
Science and Technology:
Delhi Metro Launched India’s 1st Indigenous Signalling Technology ‘i-ATS’ under Make in India:
- Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has taken a major step towards the development of an indigenously built signalling technology for metro trains in line with the government’s flagship ‘Make in India’ i-ATS(Automatic Train Supervision) is an important sub-system of the signalling system.
Facebook India appoints Arun Srinivas as Director of Global Business Group:
- Facebook India appoints Arun Srinivas as Director of Global Business Group. Facebook announced the appointment of Arun Srinivas as the Director of Global Business Group. Srinivas will spearhead the strategy and delivery of the India Marketing Solutions which aims to tap large advertisers and agencies.
Indian Cricketer Suresh Raina appointed as brand ambassador of online poker platform 9 stacks:
- Online poker platform 9stacks has signed Suresh Raina as its brand ambassador. A left-handed batsman and a spin bowler, Raina will anchor the brand and help in creating a higher brand recall amongst the key target audience. He announced retirement from the International Cricket last month.
Awards and Recognitions:
Lionel Messi Remains Ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo as World’s Richest Footballer:
- According to a list compiled by Forbes, Messi’s total earnings this year are 126 million Cristiano Ronaldo comes in second although earnings of 117 million dollars will soften the blow for the Juventus forward.
- Neymar comes in third on the Forbes list (96 million dollars) with his Paris St Germain team mate, 21-year-old Kylian Mbappe, up in fourth spot (42 million dollars).
Fiumicino International Airport in Rome becomes World’s First Airport to earn “COVID-19 5-star airport rating” from Skytrax:
- Fiumicino International Airport (FCO) in Rome,Italy has become the first airport in the world to be certified with “COVID-19 5-star airport rating” from Skytrax, a U.K.-based airport and airline review firm.
- FCO, also known as the Leonardo Da Vinci International Airport, is the busiest airport in Italy.
Padma Vibhushan art scholar Kapila Vatsyayan passes away at 92:
- Kapila Vatsyayan, Member of Parliament, a major scholar of art, architecture, Indian classical dance and Founding Director of the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts, passed away at the age of 92 at her home in New Delhi.
Lok Sabha MP Balli Durga Prasad Rao passes away at 65:
- Tirupati MP and YSRCP leader Balli Durga Prasad Rao passed away after testing positive for COVID-19. Rao had been a three-term MLA in the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly and a minister in the Chandrababu Naidu Cabinet in undivided Andhra Pradesh.
Mali’s Former President Moussa Traore passes away at 83:
- Mali’s former president Moussa Traore, who ruled the West Africa nation for more than 22 years, has passed away at age 83. Traore ruled the country as its military leader until 1979 when he installed himself as civilian president of a one-party state.
- Capital: Bamako.
- Currency: West African CFA Franc.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.