DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : SEP 24, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (SEP 24 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Maritime Day- 24 September:
- World Maritime Day was first held in 1978 to mark the 20th anniversary of the IMO Convention’s entry into force. The promotion of sustainable shipping and sustainable maritime development is one of the major priorities of IMO in the coming years.
- Theme: “Sustainable Shipping for a Sustainable Planet”.
SIDBI and CRIF India collaborate to introduce sector-based insight reports ‘Industry Spotlight’:
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has partnered with CRIF High Mark, a leading Indian credit bureau owned by CRIF, for the launch of sector-based insight reports called ‘Industry Spotlight’.
- The first edition of the report will present a deep-dive analysis into the Indian Drugs and Pharmaceutical Industry.
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI):
- Headquarters: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Chairman & Managing Director (MD): Mohammad Mustafa.
Rajasthan government approves “Moksha Kalash Yojana 2020” free travel to Haridwar for ashes immersion:
- Rajasthan roadways will now take passengers going to Haridwar, for immersion of ashes of their deceased family members in the Ganga river, free of cost after chief minister Ashok Gehlot approved the ‘Moksha Kalash Yojana-2020’ to be run by the Rajasthan State Road Transport Corporation (RSRTC).
- Chief Minister:Ashok Gehlot
- Governor:Kalraj Mishra
Indian Navy and Royal Australian Navy Passage Exercise (PASSEX) underway in Eastern Indian Ocean:
- PASSEX underway is held between Royal Australian Navy and Indian Navy in Eastern Indian Ocean Region. Air Warfare Destroyer HMAS Hobart, Stealth Frigate INS Sahyadri and Missile Corvette INS Karmuk are engaged in complex Maritime Exercises.
- Capital: Canberra
- Currency: Australian dollar
- Prime Minister: Scott Morrison
IEA and NITI Aayog launch Special Report on Sustainable Recovery Post:
- International Energy Agency (IEA) in alliance with NITI Aayog released Special Report on Sustainable Recovery. Part of IEA’s flagship World Energy Outlook series, the report proposes a no. of actions that could be taken over the next 3 years to revitalize economies & boost employment.
Tel Aviv to become first city with electric roads that charge public buses:
- The city of Tel Aviv is working on creating Wireless Electric Roads to charge and power public transportation in the city. Aimed at reducing air pollution, the electric road does away with the need for recharging stations.
- The roads will span from Tel Aviv University Railway station to Klatzkin Terminal in Ramat Aviv, a route of about 2 miles.
- Currency:Israeli Shekel
- Prime Minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
- President: Reuven Rivlin
United Nations and Britain to co-host climate summit on 12th December 2020:
- United Nations and Britain will co-host a global climate summit on December 12, the fifth anniversary of the landmark Paris Agreement. The summit is intended to increase momentum ahead of the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP 26) to be held in Glasgow in November 2021.
India and Nepal begin joint security patrol along border in Kapilvastu, Nepal:
- Security personnel of India and Nepal have started joint security patrol of the border between the two countries in Nepal’s Kapilvastu district to check illegal Cross-Border Activities and control the spread of corona virus.
- The Krishnanagar Municipality of the Kapilvastu district is a major point of transit along the Nepal-India Border.
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Currency: Napalese Rupee
- Prime Minister: KP Sharma Oli
- President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari
Israel’s National Start-up and India’s iCreate to collaborate for innovative projects:
- Israel’s Start-Up National Central and iCreate (India’s International Centre for Entrepreneurship and Technology) inked a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for starting a programme to bring together Israeli and Indian entrepreneurs as well as startups to collaborate on innovative projects.
- Currency:Israeli Shekel
- Prime Minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
- President: Reuven Rivlin
Banking and Economy:
India’s GDP is forecast to contract 5.9% in 2020 and recover to 3.9% in 2021; UNCTAD:
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) has predicted that the GDP of India will contract by 9% in the year 2020. For the year 2021, UNCTAD projects the Indian economy to grow by 3.9%. The projection was made in its Trade and Development Report 2020.
SEBI to set up ‘Backstop Entity’ to buy Mutual Funds’ illiquid corporate bonds:
- SEBI plans to set up a ‘Backstop Entity’ to buy Illiquid Investment–Grade Corporate Bonds from mutual funds in a bid to reduce the stress in debt schemes. A backstop will ensure that a part of the offering is purchased if it goes unsold. SEBI Chairman Ajay Tyagi stated at the 25th AGM of the Association of Mutual Funds in India (AMFI).
BOB Financial Solutions Limited partners Signzy to unveil its ‘Video KYC’:
- BOB Financial Solutions Ltd (BFSL) has selected RegTech firm Signzy, to digitize its customer verification through ‘Video KYC’. It will enable BFSL a quick, zero-contact & paperless KYC that omits the requisite for physical submission of documents.
Bajaj Finserv Launched “Bajaj Finserv Health Ltd (BFHL)”, Health Tech Solutions Business:
- Pune based Bajaj Finserv has recently announced the launch of its fully owned subsidiary Bajaj Finserv Health Limited (BFHL), a health-tech solutions business, aimed at improving the health outcomes of Indian consumers through smarter, connected and holistic care plans.
- This new venture will offer “Aarogya Care” an industry-first product, providing preventive, personalised, prepaid Health Care Packages.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Tech Mahindra partners with Japan’s Rakuten Communications Platform to bring Rakuten Communications Platform:
- Tech Mahindra and Rakuten Mobile, Inc., a Rakuten Group company responsible for mobile communications announced that India’s fifth largest tech services provider will be a preferred partner for global go-to-market opportunities for the Rakuten Communications Platform (RCP).
Competition Commission of India approves merger of Medlife with PharmEasy:
- Competition Commission of India has approved the proposed merger of e-pharmacy companies Medlife and PharmEasy, the country’s fair-trade This comes a month after Medlife made a formal filing to merge with the Temasek-backed company. PharmEasy was set to acquire 100% equity shares of Medlife.
Science and Technology:
‘Kritagya’ Hackathon Launched by National Agricultural Higher Education Project of ICAR:
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) under the National Agricultural Higher Education Project (NAHEP) has launched a hackathon named “KRITAGYA”. The aim is to promote potential technology solutions to enhance farm mechanization with special emphasis on women-friendly equipment.
IIT Madras develops AI model to process text in 11 Indian languages:
- The Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT-M) faculty and AI4Bharat have developed Artificial Intelligence (AI) models and datasets to process texts in 11 Indian languages.
- According to IIT-Madras researchers and AI4Bharat released AI models and datasets for the following languages: Tamil, Hindi, Malayalam, Telugu, Kannada, Punjabi, Bengali, Odia, Assamese, Gujarati, and Marathi.
DRDO Successfully Test Fires Laser Guided Anti Tank Missile From MBT Arjun:
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test fired the Laser-Guided Anti Tank Guided Missile (ATGM) from MBT Arjun at KK Ranges, Armoured Corps Centre and School (ACC&S) Ahmednagar. It is developed with multiple-platform launch capability & is currently undergoing technical evaluation trials.
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO):
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: G. Satheesh Reddy.
NASA outlines $28 billion plan to land the first woman on the Moon by 2024:
- NASA has formally outlined its $28 billion (£22bn) plan to return to the Moon as part of a programme called “ARTEMIS”, NASA will send a man and a Woman to the lunar surface in the first landing with humans since 1972.
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA):
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- Administrator: Jim Bridenstine
Former Rebel Leader Ishmael Toroama elected as president of Bougainville:
- Former rebel military commander Ishmael Toroama as president of Bougainville, an autonomous region of Papua New Guinea. This was the first general election, since Bougainville voted overwhelmingly to separate from Papua New Guinea in November 2019.
- Capital: Buka
- Currency: Kina
- President: Ishmael Toroama
Belarus president Aleksandr Lukashenko sworn in for a sixth term:
- President Alexander Lukashenko of Belarus was sworn his sixth term in office at an inaugural ceremony that was not announced in advance amid weeks of huge protests of the authoritarian leader’s reelection.
- Capital: Minsk
- Currency: Belarusian Rouble
- President: Alexander Lukashenko
Awards and Recognition:
Prime Minister Modi named in Time Magazines 100 Most Influential People 2020 List:
- Time Magazine has released the TIME 100 Most Influential People List 2020. Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi is the only politician on the list. He has been named in this for the fourth time since coming in power in 2014.
- Among four Indians Professor Ravindra Gupta (Pioneer) is a Professor of Clinical Microbiology and has worked for the cure of HIV, Bollywood Actor Ayushmann Khurrana (Artists), Bilkis (Icons) the ‘dadi from Shaheen Bagh’ and PM Modi.
- The List has named people in five categories- Pioneers, Artists, Leaders, Titans, Icons.
GAIL wins Leaders Award at the Frost & Sullivan and TERI’s Sustainability 4.0 Awards 2020:
- GAIL (Gas Authority of India Limited) Limited has won the Leaders Award in the Mega Large Business, Process Sector category in the 11th edition of Frost & Sullivan – MEASA and TERI – The Energy and Resources Institute’s Sustainability 4.0 Awards 2020. The award recognises corporates in sustainable development practices that provide a measurable and verifiable framework for sustainability.
17-Year-Old Surat Girl Khushi Chindaliya Is Named UNEP’s Green Ambassador For Her Efforts To Save Environment:
- Seventeen-year-old Khushi Chindaliya from Surat has been passionately involved in the protection of the environment. Her passion has now resulted in her being appointed as Regional Ambassador (RA) for India by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Tunza Eco-Generation (TEG).
- She will work with the TEG on various environmental awareness programmes till February 2021.
‘Vicky Donor’ actor Bhupesh Kumar Pandya passes away:
- Theatre personality and Bollywood actor Bhupesh Pandya, who is best known for his role in Ayushmann Khurrana’s debut film ‘Vicky Donor’ has passed away due to lung cancer. Pandya was an alumnus of National School of Drama (NSD).
Minister of State for Railways Suresh Angadi passes away at 65:
- Union Minister of State for Railways Suresh Angadi has passed away after he contracted coronavirus disease. He was a four-time Lok Sabha MP from Karnataka’s Belagavi constituency. He was elected in 2004, 2014 and 2019. He is the first member of the Union Cabinet to die due to coronavirus.
Veteran Marathi Actor Ashalata Wabgaonkar Passed Away at 79:
- Veteran Marathi actor Ashalata Wabgaonkar, passed away at the age of 79 at Satara, Maharashtra after testing positive for COVID-19. Ashalata Wabgaonkar was born on 2nd July 1941 in Goa.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.