CURRENT AFFAIRS JANUARY 7&8, 2018
CURRENT AFFAIRS JANUARY 7&8, 2018
Indian Railways HRD and S&T Ministry inks MoU on Technology Mission
- A memorandum of understanding (MoU) on Technology Mission for Indian Railways (TMIR) was signed by the ministries of railways, human resource development (HRD), and science and technology.
- It was signed at Rail Bhawan, New Delhi for joint funding of Technology Mission for Indian Railways.
- The MoU aims to facilitate co-financing of TMIR for identified railway projects for applied research.
- The funding component of the railways ministry is 30 percent, the HRD ministry is 25 per cent and the department of science and technology (DST) 25 per cent.
- The Technology Mission will take up research and development projects in the areas of heavy haul, safety, energy, environment and urban railways.
- It is headed by Prof. NS Vyas of IIT Kanpur as Chairman and Alok Kumar as Co-chairman.
Akshay Kumar to Promote Survekshan 2018
- Film actor Akshay Kumar has partnered with the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to promote cleanliness in Mumbai as part of the Swachh Survekshan 2018.
- The Swachh Survekshan 2018 will rank urban and rural areas of the country on the basis of cleanliness.
- It will be carried out between January 4 to March 10 by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- The objective of this survey is to create awareness amongst all the sections of society about working towards making towns and cities a better place to live in.
Union Sports Minister Rathore Launches ‘Khelo India’ Logo
- The Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore launched the simple yet vibrant Khelo India logo at the Nehru Stadium in New Delhi.
- The three-stroke Khelo India logo was designed by Ogilvy India.
- The twin objectives of Khelo India is mass participation and promotion of excellence in sports.
- Khelo India School Games will begin from January 31,2018.
Central Govt Releases Rs. 20 crore to Codissia
- The Union Defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman has announced the release of Rs. 20 crore to the Coimbatore District Small Industries’ Association (Codissia).
- It has been released for setting up a Defence Innovation Centre in coimbatore.
- The defence park is to assist small industries in manufacturing components for the defence sector.
- The establishment comes under make in India programme for the growth of MSMEs.
Codissia President : V Sundaram
Indian Navy signs MoU with Cochin Port Trust
- Indian navy inked a pact with Cochin port trust for utilising the Port berthing facility at Mattancherry wharf for Naval ships.
- It aims to increase the berthing capacity of naval ships in Kochi.
- The MoU was signed between the Chief Staff Officer (Operations) of Southern Naval Command Commodore Deepak Kumar and Gautam Gupta, Traffic manager of the Port Trust, at the Naval Base.
- This is the first agreement that has been signed between the Navy and CPT.
Haryana launches High Risk Pregnancy portal
- Haryana becomes the first state in the country to launch High Risk Pregnancy (HRP) Portal.
- This portal helps in early identification of high-risk pregnant cases up to the basic level and also ensures their timely referral to the civil hospitals for further management and delivery by specialists.
- It had been initiated by the Niti Ayog and the Union ministry of health and family welfare.
- This initiative will definitely increase the pace of decline in Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR), Infant Mortality Rate (IMR).
Haryana Health Minister : Anil vij
Chief Minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
Governor: Kaptan Singh Solanki
Saudi Arabia agreed India’s plan to Haj pilgrims
- Saudi Arabia approved India’s plan to allow Haj pilgrims to travel via sea route to Jeddah.
- Union Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Saudi Arabia’s Haj and Umrah minister Dr Mohammad Saleh bin Taher Benten signed the agreement in Mecca.
- The transport of Haj pilgrims between Mumbai and Jeddah by waterways existed earlier but was stopped from 1995.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
SBI to raise up to $2 bn via overseas bonds
- India’s largest lender State Bank of India plans to raise upto USD 2 billion (over Rs 12,600 crore) by issuing bonds in US dollar or other convertible currency.
- The bonds could be issued in single or multiple tranches of up to $2 billion.
- The fund-raising will take place through a public or private offer.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
Golden Globe Awards 2018
- The 75th Golden Globe Award ceremony was held in Los Angeles, the USA.
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri won the “Best Motion Picture, drama” award.
- Best performance by an actress in a motion picture, drama is Frances McDormand.
- Best performance by an actor in a motion picture, drama is Gary Oldman.
Brisbane International 2018
- Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina secured her first WTA title in women’s singles by defeating Belarusian Aliaksandra Sasnovich. This is her 10th title on the women’s elite tour.
- Australian Nick Kyrgios won in Men’s single by defeating American Ryan Harrison.
- Men’s Doubles winner: Henri Kontinen and John Peers.
- Women’s Doubles winner: Kiki Bertens and Demi Schuurs.
- It was played on outdoor hard courts in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
Gilles Simon wins inaugural Tata Open title
- Gilles Simon of France has clinched the inaugural Tata Open Maharashtra Tennis trophy.
- The event held at Balewadi Sports Complex in Pune. He defeated Kevin Anderson to clinch the title.
- Simon’s ranking is 89 in the world, while Anderson is ranked Fourteen.
- It is the first title for Simon, since his win at Marseille in February 2015.
- This tournament is India’s only ATP event.
Federer-Bencic Lead Switzerland to Hopman Cup Title
- Switzerland won their third Hopman Cup as Roger Federer and Belinda Bencic by defeating Germany’s Alexander Zverev and Angelique Kerber.
- It was Federer’s second Hopman Cup triumph after victory in 2001 when teamed with Martina Hingis.
- The Hopman Cup is an annual international eight-team indoor hardcourt tennis tournament held in Perth, Western Australia. Mixed-gender teams will play on a country-by-country basis.
Former WTO Director General Peter Sutherland passed away
- Former World Trade Organization Director General Peter Sutherland passed away.
- He also held top posts in the European Union and the United Nations.
- Sutherland became founding director-general of the WTO in 1993, and in 2006 was named the U.N. envoy on international migration.
World champion powerlifter Saksham Yadav passed away
- Powerlifting world champion Saksham Yadav passes away in an accident in New Delhi.
- He has won a gold medal for India at powerlifting world championship held in Moscow in December 2017.
- Saksham had also won a gold medal in the junior category in 2016.
NASA’s Astronaut John Young Passed Away
- Legendary American astronaut John Young, passed away.
- He is America’s ‘most experienced astronaut’ who walked on the Moon during the Apollo programme and commanded the first space shuttle mission.