DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Jul 8, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Jul 8 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Assam government to upgrade Dehing Patkai wildlife sanctuary to national park:
- Assam government decided to upgrade Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary into a National Park. The announcement comes just months after the National Board of Wildlife’s (NBWL) conditional clearance to a coal mining project by Coal India Limited (CIL) in the Dehing Patkai Elephant Reserve.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: SarbanandaSonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
BSIP joins hands with Government of Uttar Pradesh to combat COVID 19 in the state:
- Birbal Sahni Institute of Palaeosciences (BSIP), an autonomous institute under the Department of Science & Technology (DST), joined hands with the Government of Uttar Pradesh to combat COVID-19 in the state.
Haryana State Employment of Local Candidates Ordinance 2020:
- Haryana Cabinet has brought the draft “Haryana State Employment of Local Candidates Ordinance 2020”.
- It aims to give 75 per cent reservation for the residents of Haryana in private sector jobs having salary of less than Rs 50,000 monthly in state companies, Societies, Trusts, Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) Firms, partnership firms etc.,
- Chief Minister:Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor:Satyadev Narayan Arya
- National Parks(NP):Sultanpur NP, Kalesar NP
- Dance:Phag, Dhamal, Loor, Khoria.
Himachal Pradesh becomes first state to 100 per cent households have LPG gas connections:
- Himachal Pradesh has become the first state in the country where 100 per cent households have LPG connections said by Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur.
- Interacting with the beneficiaries of ”Himachal Grihini Suvidha Yojana” through video conferencing, Thakur said cooking food on traditional ”chulha” was not only cumbersome, but also had adverse effects on the health of the women.
- Chief Minister:Jai Ram Thakur
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Inaugurates ‘Mission Vriksharopan-2020’:
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inaugurated ‘Mission Vriksharopan-2020’ in Kukarel forest in Lucknow. Under this programme, more than 25 crore saplings will be planted across the state. Geo-tagging of all plantation sites is also to be done.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
West Bengal Government launches ‘Self Scan app’ to scan documents:
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has launched a new mobile application called “SelfScan”. This New Application was developed by the state’s information technology department, to scan documents after camscan
- Capital: Kolkata
- Chief Minister: Mamata Banerjee
- Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar.
World Bank to provide 400 million dollars to enhance support for rejuvenating River Ganga:
- World Bank has provide $ 400 mn to enhance support for rejuvenating the Ganga. The Second National Ganga River Basin Project will help stem pollution in the river & strengthen the management of the river basin which is home to more than 500 million
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- President: David Malpass.
Banking and Economy:
Fino Payments Bank launches ‘Bhavishya’ savings account for minors:
- Fino Payments Bank Limited announced the launch of a savings account scheme for minors aged between 10-18 years. ‘Bhavishya’, a subscription-based savings account, can be opened by paying a nominal amount. It is initially introduced in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar & Madhya Pradesh.
Fino Payments Bank:
- Headquarters: Mumbai.
- CEO: Rishi Gupta.
- Tagline: “Qadar Aapki Mehnat Ki”
Karur Vysya Bank ties up with Star Health Insurance:
- Karur Vysya Bank (KVB) has entered into an arrangement with Star Health Insurance to offer a wide range of health insurance options to its customers. The tie-up will help the bank provide cost-effective insurance products and quick settlement of claims.
Karur Vysya Bank:
- Headquarters: Karur, Tamil Nadu.
- CEO: P. R. Seshadri
Liberty General Insurance launches ‘Liberty Assure’, an industry 1st service:
- Liberty General Insurance launches ‘Liberty Assure’ an Industry first service. The auto insurance customers who avail this service, are not required to pay the ‘Compulsory Deductible’ cost for every claim.
Acquisitions & Mergers
Google Cloud and Deutsche Bank Agree on Multi-Year Strategic Partnership:
- Deutsche Bank agreed a strategic, multi-year partnership with Google Cloud to give it access to cloud services and drive innovation in tech-based financial products for clients. It focuses on redefining how the bank develops and offers its financial services.
Ola partners with PhonePe to enhance its digital payments experience:
- Ola, Indian mobility platform and one of the world’s largest ride-hailing companies, has entered into a strategic partnership with PhonePe, India’s leading payments platform. With this integration, Ola users can now enjoy a seamless and superlative payment experience on the Ola app.
Science and Technology:
National Medicinal Plants Board signs MoU with ICAR:
- National Medicinal Plants Board and ICAR-National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources have entered into an MoU to conserve the Medicinal and Aromatic Plants Genetic Resources (MAPGRs) and acquire hands-on training on plant germplasm conservation techniques.
Hyderabad based Laxai Sciences partnership with CSIR to seek approval to undertake clinical trials “MUCOVIN” on Covid-19 patients:
- Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), in collaboration with Laxai Life Sciences Pvt. Ltd. Hyderabad has sought regulatory approval to undertake a four-arm randomized controlled phase III clinical trial. That clinical trial is named “MUCOVIN”.
IIT Madras develops nano-coated filter that can be used in masks for COVID-19 warriors:
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT-M) researchers have developed a nano-coated filter that can be used by healthcare workers treating COVID-19 patients. The filter’s coating properties are optimized for efficient removal of sub-micron sized dust particles in the air.
MCA extends term of Justice Bansi Lal Bhat as acting chairperson NCLAT by three months:
- Ministry of corporate affairs (MCA) extended the term of Justice Bansi Lal Bhat as acting chairperson of the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT) by three months. He was first appointed as a judicial member of the NCLAT in Oct 2017 replacing Justice SJ Mukhopadhaya.
Sijo Kuruvilla George appointed to Centre’s committee on science and tech policy:
- The founding CEO of Start-up Village & founder of Re-think Foundation, Sijo Kuruvilla George is selected as member of Central Government’s Expert Committee on Science and Technology Policy. He is the lone person from Kerala to be the part of 8-member panel.
Awards and Recognitions:
Elton John becomes second artist to be honoured with commemorative coin by Royal Mint:
- Elton John became the second artist to be honoured by Britain’s Royal Mint with a commemorative £1,000 gold coin paying tribute to the decorated British singer-songwriter.
India ranks 34th in JLL’s Global Real Estate Transparency Index; Uk Tops:
- The progress in the country’s REIT framework, enhanced market data and sustainability initiatives pushed India’s ranking to 34th position in JLL and LaSalle’s biennial Global Real Estate Transparency Index (GRETI). UK was ranked first among 99 countries.
Ennio Morricone, Oscar-winning Italian film composer died at 91:
- Ennio Morricone, the Italian composer whose credits include the “spaghetti” Westerns that made Clint Eastwood a star, has died in Rome aged 91. He also wrote music for Once Upon a Time in America, The Untouchables and Cinema Paradiso. He was known as ‘Maestro’ and won Oscars in 2007 & 2016.
Broadway star Nick Cordero dies of COVID-19 complications:
- Tony Award-nominated actor Nick Cordero, who specialized in playing tough guys on Broadway in such shows as Waitress, A Bronx Tale and Bullets Over Broadway, has died in Los Angeles after suffering severe medical complications after contracting the coronavirus. He was 41.
Amit Phangal ranked world no.1 and Mary Kom secure third spot as per latest AIBA report:
- Amit Phangal has been ranked 1 in the men’s 52kg weight category as per the latest rankings released by the Amateur Indian Boxing Association (AIBA).
- Manju Rani was the highest-ranked women’s boxer, securing the second spot in the 48kg category, while Mary Kom was placed third in her category.
Amateur Indian Boxing Association (AIBA):
- Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
- President: Gafur Rakhimov
Valtteri Bottas wins F1 Austrian Grand Prix after Hamilton suffers penalty:
- Valtteri Bottas has struck the first blow in the 2020 season, winning the Austrian Grand Prix from Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc, as Lewis Hamilton was demoted from a second place finish on the road to P4 after a five-second penalty for contact with Alex Albon – handing McLaren’s Lando Norris his first F1 podium for finishing P3.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.