Current Affairs Weekly One Liners : October 22 – 30
Current Affairs Weekly One Liners : October 22 – 30
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirant,
Check the Weekly One Liners from October 22 – October 30 and you could also download the Weekly Current Affairs One Liners as PDF from the link below. There are chances that the recent events from the current affairs can be asked in the forthcoming IBPS RRB Scale I Officer and IBPS RRB Office Assistant 2017 which happens in the starting week of November.
- India hands over the memorabilia of the Bangladesh Liberation War of 1971 to the Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina. The collection is proposed to be displayed at the Bangladesh National Museum in Shahbagh and the Museum of Independence in Suhrawardy Udyan in Dhaka.
- Shipping Minister Nitin Gadkari said a Blueprint has been finalized for 142 expansion projects to modernize 12 major ports and develop new harbors at a cost about Rs. 90,000 crore.
- Kandla port trust has received Rs. 1,176 crore for setting up Environment clearance in the smart Industrial port city in Kutch, Gujarat.
- INSV Tarini entered Fremantle (Australia) port during its maiden voyage to circumnavigate the globe. This is the first-ever Indian circumnavigation of the globe by an all-women crew.
- BHEL has commenced the execution of Yadadri Supercritical Thermal Power Project by the Teangana State Power Generation Corporation Limited(TSGENCO) and it is located at Damaracherla in Telangana and valued at approximately Rs. 20, 400 crore.
- A new record was created by the Meghalaya Election Department for the formation of Biggest Human Logo and they also entered the LIMCA BOOK OF RECORDS
- The Minister for Commerce and Industry, Shri Suresh Prabhu launched the official website for the Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM) of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP).
- India’s first Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra (PMKK) for Skilling in smart cities was inaugurated, October 23 in New Delhi, by Union Minister Rajnath Singh. The inauguration was done in collaboration with the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC).
- The UP Cabinet gave its nod for the constitution of a Prayagraj Mela Pradhikaran (Prayagraj Mela Authority).
- The Asian Development Bank and the Government of India signed a $300 million loan to continue a series of fiscal reforms in the State of West Bengal to improve the quality of public service delivery.
- The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh attended the 56th Raising Day Parade of Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) at 39th Bn, ITBP, Lakhnawali Camp, Surajpur, Greater Noida.
- Gujarat Government has announced several additional benefits for thousands of karma-yogis working on fix pay on 11 months’ contract.
- The Indian government announced an allocation of Rs 2.11 lakh crore over 2 years for the recapitalization of public sector banks.
- Madhya Pradesh has emerged as the top state in terms of digital initiatives undertaken, with a maximum score of 100.1 on performance index, followed by Maharashtra at 99.9 and Andhra Pradesh at 99.8, says a report by Coeus Age Consulting.
- The deadline for mandatory linking of Aadhaar to avail benefits of government schemes has been postponed to March 31, 2018, the Centre informed the Supreme Court.
- Ministries of Power and Textiles have joined hands under SAATHI (Sustainable and Accelerated Adoption of efficient Textile technologies to Help Small Industries) initiative. The SAATHI initiative will be jointly implemented by EESL and office of Textile Commissioner on the pan-India basis.
- Union Minister of State (IC) for Power and New & Renewable Energy, Shri R. K. Singh addressed the 3rd Global Investors’ India Forum in New Delhi. The theme of the event was ‘Ideate, Innovate, Implement and Invest in India’ and it was attended by global industry stalwarts.
- The Conference on International Conference on Consumer Protection for South, South East and East Asian Nations on the theme “Empowering Consumers in New Markets” will be inaugurated by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
- Odisha will be the ‘Focus State’ in the World Food India (WFI)-2017, the international food event to be held at New Delhi from 3 to 5 November 2017.
- Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India hosted First Meeting of BIMSTEC Task Force on Traditional Medicine on 24-25 October, 2017 at Parvasi Bhartiya Kendra, New Delhi.
- The Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, Edapaddi K Palanswami, laid the foundation stone for an aerospace park at Kanchipuram district to be set up by the State Government in 245 acres and at an estimated cost of ₹198 crore.
- Defence Minister, Ms. Nirmala Sitharaman left for the Philippines to attend the Southeast Asian Defence Ministers’ Meeting.
- The world’s first track-less train has started operating on a trial basis in Chinese city Zhuzhou. Billed as the world’s first smart train, the vehicle operates on virtual rail lines represented by white dotted lines.
- The Railway’s first set of solar plants with a total capacity of 5 megawatt peak (MWp) will be launched by Railway Minister Piyush Goyal.
- The Rajasthan Assembly passed a bill which increases reservation for Other Backward Classes (OBC) in the state from 21 per cent to 26 per cent.
- India will host the next UN global wildlife conference in 2020. India to be the host of the next CMS Conference of the Parties CMSCOP13! Officially announced at the closing CMSCOP12 plenary, in Manila,”.
- The Karnataka cabinet has cleared the State Policy for Transgenders, 2017 with an aim of bringing the community into the mainstream and safeguarding them from exploitation.
- India’s biggest conference on Software-Defined Networking and Network Functions Virtualization ‘SDN & NFV India Congress 2017’ is set to be held in Mumbai to showcase the rapidly growing and massively influential SDN and NFV developments in Indian Telecommunications sector.
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal launched a web portal ‘Assam Darpan’ where details of government schemes and projects would be available to the people.
- Tech major SAP announced the launch of Asia Pacific Japan (APJ) region’s first SAP Leonardo Center in Bengaluru.
- The Uttar Pradesh government issued an order notifying Vrindavan and Barsana towns in Mathura district as “pavitra teerth sthals (sacred pilgrimage sites)”. No meat and liquor shops will be allowed in these towns anymore.
- The Ministry of External Affairs has launched a new initiative titled “#AsktheSpokesperson” on Twitter with an objective to bring better awareness and understanding of foreign policy issues to general public.
- The Union Cabinet has approved over Rs 7,000 crore for construction of permanent campuses of six new Indian Institute of Technology (IITs) across the country.
- International Association for Adolescent Health (IAAH) 11th World Congress on Adolescent Health: Investing in Adolescent Health – the Future is held in New Delhi, India from 27-29 October 2017, hosted by MAMTA Health Institute for Mother and Child (MAMTA) and Consortium Partners.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated the Indian Railways’ 110km Bidar-Kalaburgi railway track in the Hyderabad-Karnataka region that is aimed at reducing the distance between Bengaluru and New Delhi by 380km and travel time by six to eight hours.
- After the Doklam standoff with the Chinese army, the government has armed the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) with ISRO’s geostationary communication satellite, GSAT-6, to supervise the nearly 3,500-km-long Sino-Indian border. The satellite will enable the force to track activities along the border and alert the government and other security agencies if it notices something suspicious.
- The centre has released Rs 8,698 crore to states to compensate them for revenue loss following GST implementation. All states barring Rajasthan and Arunachal Pradesh, have been given compensation for the first two months (July-August) after Goods and Services Tax rollout.
- The two-day India-UAE Partnership Summit being inaugurated in Dubai hopes to further accelerate bilateral trade and investment between the two countries. The Summit with a theme of Investment Implementation, will deliberate at how key projects in India can be executed with the support of UAE based businesses and investors. Healthcare, tourism, infrastructure and education are some of the areas of focus during the Summit.
- The deal between Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation (BPC) and Numaligarh Refinery Limited (NRL) was signed in presence of India’s external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj, who arrived in Dhaka recently on a two-day visit to discuss bilateral issues.
- Nicaragua has signed the Paris climate agreement, meaning that the US and Syria are the only two countries not to be giving the accord their support.
- Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani arrived on a day-long visit. He met his Indian counterpart Ram Nath Kovind and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
- The 2nd World Congress on Marxism is scheduled to be held in Peking University in Beijing next May.
- Indian Navy Ship Sukanya under the command of Commander SA Deodhar has arrived at Belawan Indonesia to participate in the 30th edition of CORPAT (Coordinated Patrol) and 3rd Bilateral exercise between the Indian Navy and the Indonesian Navy.
- After making Legal Entity Identifier (LEI) mandatory for transactions in interest rate, forex and credit derivative market, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is set to make LEI compulsory for companies having aggregate fund-based and non-fund based exposure over Rs 5 crore.
- The Engineering Export Promotion Council (EEPC) of India has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Punjab National Bank to provide easy access to finance to SMEs and merchant exporters of the council.
- The Indian aviation market will be the third largest in the world by 2036 and is expected to add 337 million new passengers, according to a study by the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has slapped a penalty of Rs 6 crore on Yes Bank and Rs 2 crore on IDFC Bank.
- The government has collected Rs 92,150 crore as Goods and Services Tax (GST) in September from 42.91 lakh business, the finance ministry.
- The government has collected Rs 92,150 crore as Goods and Services Tax (GST) in September from 42.91 lakh business, the finance ministry.
- Singapore’s passport has been announced as the most powerful in the world as it secured the top spot in the Passport Index’ most powerful ranking with a visa-free score of 159. Germany and Sweden ranked second and third, with a score of 158 and 157, respectively.
- To strengthen maritime security, India and the United States have agreed to implement the programme for Helicopter Operations from Ships Other Than Aircraft Carriers (HOSTAC).
- Russian Defence Ministry said the armed forces have launched four ballistic missiles as part of large-scale war games involving Russia’s strategic forces. As per the ministry, Russian Tu-160, Tu-95MS and Tu-22M3 long-range strategic bombers successfully launched cruise missiles at targets.
- GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd, Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad and Malaysia Tourism Promotion Board have come together to promote the growth of tourism traffic.
- Lonely Planet has ranked Chile as the number one country to visit next year in its much-anticipated Best in Travel 2018 list. South Korea and Portugal have ranked second and third respectively, while Djibouti and New Zealand have completed the top five.
- The tiny Gulf state host of the 2022 football World Cup, Qatar, has said it will introduce a minimum wage for workers amid global outcry over the alleged ill-treatment faced by migrant workers in the country.
- Saudi Arabia has become the first country to give a robot citizenship. The robot, named Sophia, was confirmed as a Saudi citizen during a business event in Riyadh.
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a $65.5 million loan agreement in the national capital to continue interventions to check coastal erosion on the Western Coast in Karnataka.
- The Foreign Minister of Tunisia Mr. Khemaies Jhinaoui is visiting India from 28th to 31st October 2017 for co-chairing the 12th India-Tunisia Joint Commission Meeting along with Smt. Sushma Swaraj, External Affairs Minister of India.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi said defence cooperation is one of the key pillars of the strategic partnership between India and France, following his meeting with the French minister of armed forces, Florence Parley.
- Burundi is becoming the first country to withdraw from the International Criminal Court. Burundi is the only one of three African nations to go ahead with its withdrawal after making moves last year to leave amid accusations that the court focuses too much on the continent.
- The world’s first hybrid electric tram powered by hydrogen fuel cells has started running in China, marking a big step in the application of green energy in public transport. Researched and manufactured by Chinese, it is the world’s first hybrid electric tram, with hydrogen being the main power source.
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos has overtaken Bill Gates and is now the richest person in the world, with a fortune topping $90 billion for the first time ever.
- Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) became the first Indian company to cross Rs 6 trillion market capitalization after its shares surged over 75% so far this year and hit a fresh lifetime high.
- The 11th Trade Policy Forum (TPF) Meeting was held in Washington D.C. on 26th October 2017. The Minister for Commerce and Industry, Shri Suresh Prabhu had productive discussions with the United States Trade Representative, Ambassador Robert Lighthizer and his team in a cordial, friendly and positive manner.
- 14th South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation in Law (SAARCLAW) Conference is being held from 27th -29th October 2017 in Colombo, Sri Lanka, along with the 11th SAARC Chief Justices Conference. The conference was inaugurated on October 27, 2017 by Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe. The theme of 14th SAARCLAW Conference is “Emerging Legal Trends in SAARC Countries”.
- The Dalai Lama during his three-day maiden visit to Manipur addressed at the International Peace Conference in the capital.
BANKING & BUSINESS
- Maruti Suzuki India has exported 57,300 units of passenger’s cars in the April – September period this fiscal against 54,008 units in the year ago-period, up 6 per cent.
- ONGC and Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) have agreed to share infrastructure in the KG Basin, following tough negotiations lasting for six months brokered by DG Atanu Chakraborty of the Directorate-General of Hydrocarbons (DGH).
- Supply of Coal by coal India Limited to the power sector increased 6.7 % to 204.5 million tons (MT) in the first six months of this fiscal even as power producers regret over low coal stock at their plants.
- Domestic crude steel production jumped 6.8 per cent to 8.39 million tonnes (mt) in September 2017 compared to 7.86 mt in September 2016.
- The government has made it mandatory to check the original identification documents of individuals dealing in cash above the Rs 50,000 threshold for banks and financial institutions as part of the Prevention of Money-laundering (Maintenance of Records) Rules.
- State Bank of India (SBI) launched the second edition of its Hackathon. This hackathon has been named ‘Digitize For Bank’.
- IndusInd Bank, in association with MobiKwik, announced the launch of a co-branded wallet, “IndusInd Mobikwik”, that allows its customers to pay at the MobiKwik merchant network using their accounts, with a “direct debit feature”.
- The State Bank of (SBI), the country’s largest public-sector lender, said it has signed an agreement with Escorts Ltd to finance farmers for purchase of Escorts tractors.
- While India stands at the 28th position out of the 30 among the reviewed countries in the Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index 2017, its pension system is found to be more sustainable than that of Poland, Germany, France, Japan, Italy, Austria, Brazil, China and Argentina.
- The State Bank of India (SBI) has decided to slash Immediate Payment Service (IMPS) charges by up to 80 percent.
- The government extended the deadline by a month till November 30 for businesses to claim credit of transitional stock in the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime.
- AU Small Finance Bank tied up with Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) to launch a `200-crore fund for providing loans to MSMEs. The programme will fund term loans in the `25 lakh to `2 crore ticket size. This joint financing programme with SIDBI aims to enhance credit to MSMEs.
- India has pipped the US to become the world’s second-largest smartphone market at the end of the third quarter, according to two research firms, which also said China’s Xiaomi is expected to end Korean major Samsung’s four and-a-half year reign at the top soon according to the Singapore based Canalys report.
- Star Health and Allied Insurance (SHAI) has introduced an industry-first health insurance cover for people already diagnosed with cancer.
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has revamped its portal www.udyamimitra.in with enhanced features to provide easy access to credit and hand-holding services for micro small medium enterprises (MSME).
- India is likely to have jumped 30 places to hit 100th spot in the World Bank’s ease of doing business ranking of 190 countries, according to media reports.
- Indian Badminton Sensation Kidambi Srikanth defeated Lee Hyun II of South Korea and won the Denmark Open Title 2017. Overall he won three supertitles this year including Australian Open & Indonesian Open.
- India has crushed Malaysia 2-1 to win the Hockey Asia Cup title for the third time in Bangladesh.
- Indian skipper Virat Kohli became the second batsman-ever to score a hundred on his 200th ODI in the opening match against New Zealand at the Wankhede.
- Divij Sharan and Scott Lipsky of US clinched the double title in the European Open tennis tournament in Antwerp, Belgium by defeating the pair of Santiago Gonzalez and Julio Peralta.
- Jitu Rai and Heena Sidhu gave India their first gold medal of the ISSF World Cup Final in New Delhi, clinching the top honours in the 10m air pistol mixed team event on the opening day of competitions.
- Gaganjeet Bhullar held his nerve to complete a wire-to-wire victory and lift his eighth Asian Tour title at the Macao Open.
- The National Basketball Association (NBA) announced Scott Fleming, former India men’s national team head coach, has joined NBA India as Head of Basketball Operations.
- Turkey is all set to host the 10th installment of the ‘World Rally Championship ‘(WRC) in September in popular resort town Marmaris, a Turkish motorsports body.
- Virat Kohli, Indian cricket team captain, has been ranked above the Argentinean and Barcelona football legend Lionel Messi as one of the most valuable brands among sports athletes by Forbes.
- Gokul Natesan spent a vital partial of his week building mobile applications and software. He was a 97th collect in a NBA breeze to became usually a second Indian-origin actor to be sealed by an NBA G-League side.
- Swiss great Martina Hingis has announced she will retire from tennis at the end of this week’s WTA Finals, where the 37-year-old multiple grand slam champion is playing in the doubles tournament alongside Taiwan’s Chan Yung-jan.
- India’s Sangram Dahiya won silver in men’s double trap and Amanpreet Singh bronze in 50m free pistol to give the hosts their first individual medals in the ISSF World Cup Shooting Final at the Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range.
- The U-17 Football Word Cup ended and England clinched the world cup by defeating Spain in the finals by 5-2 which happened in Kolkata, India.
- Rwanda’s first cricket stadium was inaugurated by President Paul Kagame as a permanent home for developing the sport in the country.
- Lewis Hamilton (England) was crowned as the Formula One Champion after the Mexican Grand Prix. Lewis Hamilton added Fourth World Championship to his bag and the Mexican Grand Prix was won by Max Verstappen of Team Aston Martin Redbull.
- India’s Kidambi Srikanth’s dream season continued as he brushed aside the challenge of Japan’s Kenta Nishimoto in straight games to win the French Open Super Series men’s singles title, in Paris.
- Rohan Bopanna won the Erste Open title in Vienna with Pablo Cuevas, while the team of Saketh Myneni and Vijay Sundar Prashanth clinched the Vietnam Open trophy at the Ho Chi Minh City.
- Pakistan will host the next Asian Cricket Council (ACC) Emerging Nations Cup in April next year and PCB chairman Najam Sethi hoped that India would send its team for the event.
- Patna Pirates thumped Gujarat Fortune giants at the Jawaharlal Nehru Indoor Stadium in Chennai to clinch the Pro Kabaddi League (PKL) season 5 title.
- Virat Kohli became the sixth Indian and the fastest to complete 9000 ODI runs during the series-deciding third game against New Zealand.
- Indian with an all-round performance to stun China 4-1 and register their second consecutive victory at the women’s Asia Cup hockey tournament.
|1.||Interlocutor||Ex-IB chief Dineshwar Sharma|
|2.||India Post Payments Bank||Suresh Seti|
|3.||Member of the Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission (JERC) for Manipur and Mizoram||Shri Ngangom Sarat Singh|
|4.||Additional Director General, CISF||Shri Alok Kumar Pateria|
|5.||Special Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)||IPS Officer Rakesh Asthana|
|6.||CEO of Association of Mutual Funds in India (Amfi)||N S Venkatesh|
|7.||Prime Minister of New Zeland||Jacinda Ardern|
|8.||Next High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Zambia||Shri N.J.Gangte|
|9.||Vice Chief of Naval Staff||Vice Admiral Ajit Kumar P|
|1.||Nepal’s Ambassador to India||Deep Kumar Upadhyay|
|S.No||AWARD NAME||AWARDED TO|
|1.||2017 Discovery Education 3M YOUNG SCIENTIST CHALLENGE||11 year old Gitanjali Rao|
|2.||Recognition of their small but significant contribution to the US economy||Sharad Thakkar|
|3.||Recognition of their small but significant contribution to the US economy||Karan Arora|
|4.||International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) Award in the ‘Homeland Security’ category||
Bastar Superintendent of Police (SP) Shaikh Arif Husein
|5.||Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) Industrial Innovation Award, 2017||L&T Technology Services Ltd (LTTS)|
|6.||Prestigious award for their exceptional contributions in the field of HIV/AIDS||Professors Salim Abdool Karim and Quarraisha Abdool Karim|
|7,||UK’s Most Influential Black Person||Anti Brexit Campaigner GINA MILLER|
|8.||Young Achiever’s Award @ 9TH Relaty Plus Excellence Awards(North) 2017||Rahul Singla, Director, Mapsko Group|
|9.||All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE)||Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII)|
|10.||‘Golden Peacock Award’ under the category – Global Leadership in Public Service and Economic Transformation||Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu|
|11.||Lifetime Achievement Award||Sharmila Tagore’|
- V SASI – Malayalam Filmmaker
- Girija Devi – Classical Singer and Padma Vibhushan Awardee
- Punathil Kunjabdulla – Malyalam Writer
BOOKS & its AUTHORS
|1.||India 2017 Yearbook||Compiled by “Comptroller and Auditor General of India” Rajiv Mehrishi|
EVENTS OF THE DAY
|DAY||SPECIALITY||THEME (if any)|
|October 24||United Nations Day||–
|October 24||World Polio Day||–|
|October 24||World Development Information Day||–|
|October 24||1st International Day of Diplomats||–|
|October 27||70th Infantry Day of Indian Army||–|
|October 27||World Day of Audiovisual Heritage||Discover, Remember and Share|
|October 28||International Animation Day||–|
|October 29||World Stroke Day||–|
You can grab the other Weekly Current Affairs from the month of October from the given links and also don’t forget to take the Current Affairs Quiz from the IBPS RRB Mains Planner 2017 which is a special series focused on the above said exam.
Also you can attend the Current Affairs Quiz from the IBPS RRB Mains Planner 2017 from the given link below.