Daily Current Affairs: April 06, 2022
Daily Current Affairs (April 06, 2022) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day of Sport for Development and Peace – 06 April
- The International Day of Sport for Development and Peace is observed annually on 06 April This day is celebrated as an opportunity to recognise the positive impact of sports and physical activities in the lives of people and communities across the world.
- The theme of the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace 2022 is ‘Securing a sustainable and peaceful future for all: the contribution of sport’.
Stand-Up India Scheme completes six years
- The sixth anniversary of the launch of the Stand-Up India scheme was celebrated on 05 April 2022. Stand-Up India scheme was launched by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 5 April 2016.
- This scheme was launched to encourage entrepreneurship at the grassroots level, especially for promoting economic empowerment and employment generation among Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST) and women entrepreneurs.
- Stand-Up India scheme was extended till 2025. This scheme facilitates bank loans between ₹ 10 lakhs and ₹ 1 crore to at least one SC/ST borrower and at least one female borrower per bank branch of scheduled commercial banks.
Karnataka Chief Minister establishes India’s first dairy cooperative bank named ‘Nandini Ksheera Samridhi Sahakara Bank’
- Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai has established India’s first dairy cooperative bank named ‘Nandini Ksheera Samridhi Sahakara Bank’ in Karnataka to provide financial strength for milk producers of Karnataka.
- This is a special programme to establish bank for milk producers of Karnataka which would provide greater financial aid for them and improve their economic condition.
- The Karnataka Government provided ₹ 100 crores as its share capital and the Milk Federation and Cooperatives would contribute ₹ 260 crores as its share of capital for this cooperative bank.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: Basavaraj Bommai
- Governor: Thaawarchand Gehlot
- National Parks: Anshi National Park, Kudremukh National Park, Bandipur National Park, Bannerghatta National Park, Rajiv Gandhi (Nagarahole) National Park
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launches the ‘School Chalo Abhiyan’ initiative
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has launched the ‘School Chalo Abhiyan’ to ensure 100 per cent enrolment in primary and upper primary schools from the Jaichandpur Katghara upper primary schools in the Shravasti district of Uttar Pradesh.
- This initiative will be an effort by the Uttar Pradesh Government towards shaping the future of primary education and the holistic development of primary schools.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park
- Zoological Parks: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan (Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister launches the ‘Kaaval Uthavi’ mobile application to assist the public during an emergency
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K. Stalin has launched the ‘Kaaval Uthavi’ mobile application containing 60 features that will help the public to seek police assistance during any emergency.
- This mobile application is used to send an ‘emergency’ alert to the police control room to obtain immediate police assistance during any distress or emergency by the members of the public. The user’s live location will be shared with the police control room when pressing the emergency red button in the mobile application.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: M. K. Stalin
- Governor: R. N. Ravi
- National Parks: Mukurthi National Park, Guindy National Park, Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park, Indira Gandhi (Annamalai) National Park, Mudumalai National Park
Aleksandar Vucic was elected as the President of Serbia
- Aleksandar Vucic was elected as the President of Serbia for a second term after he won the presidential election that was recently held in Serbia.
- He served as the Prime Minister of Serbia from 2014 to 2016 and from 2016 to 2017. He also served as the Deputy Prime Minister of Serbia from 2012 to 2014.
- Capital: Belgrade
- Currency: Serbian Dinar
Banking and Economy
Punjab National Bank mandates ‘positive pay system’ for high-value cheques to prevent check frauds
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) has made the ‘Positive Pay System’ (PPS) mandatory for cheques of ₹ 10 lakhs and above to protect customers from large value cheque frauds.
- The PPS was developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). It requires the customer who issues the high-value cheque to reconfirm some essential details, which are cross-checked while presenting the cheque for clearance before payment.
Punjab National Bank (PNB)
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- CEO: Atul Kumar Goel
- Tagline: The Name You Can Bank Upon
Asian Development Bank projects India’s FY23 GDP growth forecast at 7.5 per cent
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) has projected India’s real Gross Domestic Product (GDP) at 7.5 per cent for FY23.
- It also revised India’s economic growth estimates for FY24 at 8.0 per cent.
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Founded: 19 December 1966
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, The Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
- Chief Economist: Yasuyuki Sawada
Acquisitions and Mergers
Tesla CEO Elon Musk acquires a 9.2 per cent of stake in Twitter
- Tesla Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Elon Musk has purchased a 2 per cent stake in Twitter. This stake purchase amounts to nearly 73 million shares, worth around $ 3 billion.
- The disclosure of Elon’s stake acquisition led to a 27 per cent rise in Twitter share price in pre-market trading.
Agreements and MoUs signed
NTPC inks pact with Gujarat Gas Limited to blend green hydrogen in piped natural gas
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Limited has signed an agreement with Gujarat Gas Limited (GGL) for blending green hydrogen in the Piped Natural Gas (PNG) network of Gujarat utility at the NTPC’s Kawas facility.
- Green hydrogen will be produced by using electricity from the existing 1 MW floating solar project of NTPC in Kawas. This will be blended with PNG in a predetermined proportion and used for cooking applications in NTPC Kawas township.
Bank of Maharashtra joins hands with NPCI for fintech engagement
- Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) has partnered with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to facilitate fintech engagement for fulfilling customers’ digital transaction needs through partnerships.
- Eight fintech startups/companies — 42 Cards, Datasutram, FinVu, Dealsafe, MoFYDA, Fortiate, Rise Retail & Payment Solutions and Lendpartners — participated in this engagement session.
Aprajita Sharma was appointed as the Vice-Chairperson of ITU’s Standing Committee on Administration and Management
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU) has appointed Aprajita Sharma as the Vice-Chairperson of the Standing Committee on Administration and Management.
- She will remain as the Vice-Chairperson of the ITU’s Standing Committee for the years 2023 and 2024 and its Chairperson for the years 2025 and 2026.
- The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations’ specialised agency for information and communication.
Books and Authors
Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan releases a new book titled ‘Birsa Munda: Janjatiya Nayak’ in New Delhi
- Union Education and Skill Development Minister Dharmendra Pradhan released a book titled ‘Birsa Munda: Janjatiya Nayak’ authored by professor Alok Chakrawal, who is the Vice-Chancellor of Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya, Bilaspur.
- This book is about the life of tribal freedom fighter, Birsa Munda.
A new book titled ‘The Maverick Effect: The Inside Story of India’s IT Revolution’ was released
- The co-founder and first elected Chairperson of NASSCOM, Harish Mehta’s new book titled ‘The Maverick Effect: The Inside Story of India’s IT Revolution’ was released.
- This book tells the untold story of how in the 1970s and 1980s a ‘band of dreamers’ joined hands to create National Association of Software and Service Companies (NASSCOM) and pave the way for the Information Technology (IT) revolution in India.
- This book is touted to be an authoritative biography of the NASSCOM, the apex body of software and IT service companies.
FIFA unveils ‘La’eeb’ as the official mascot for the FIFA World Cup 2022
- Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) has unveiled ‘La’eeb’ as the official mascot for the FIFA World Cup 2022 to be held in Qatar.
- La’eeb is an Arabic word meaning a super-skilled player. This mascot belongs to a parallel mascot verse that is indescribable and everyone is invited to interpret what it looks like.
- Recently, FIFA launched the official FIFA World Cup 2022 match ball named ‘Al Rihla’ and BYJU’S was named as the official sponsor of the FIFA World Cup 2022.
Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA)
- President: Gianni Infantino
- Headquarters: Zürich, Switzerland
- Motto: For the Game. For the World
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of April 06, 2022, now from the link given below.