Daily Current Affairs: April 20, 2022
Daily Current Affairs (April 20, 2022) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
UN Chinese Language Day – 20 April
- UN Chinese Language Day is observed on 20 April every year. This day is to celebrate multilingualism and cultural diversity as well as promote equal use of all six of its official working languages throughout the organisation.
- This day was established by the UN Department of Public Information in 2010.
‘Smart Cities, Smart Urbanization’ conference inaugurates in Surat, Gujarat
- The three days ‘Smart Cities, Smart Urbanization’ conference was inaugurated in Surat, Gujarat. This event was organised by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), Government of India with Surat Smart City Corporation Development Limited.
- The Smart City Mission also released the integrated portal of MoHUA, AMPLIFI (Assessment and Monitoring Platform for Liveable, Inclusive and Future-ready urban India), which will provide valuable data about Indian cities.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Bhupendrabhai Patel
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- National Parks: Blackbuck National Park, Vansda National Park, Gir Forest National Park, Marine (Gulf of Kachchh) National Park
BRO is set to construct the world’s highest tunnel to connect Himachal Pradesh with Zanskar valley in Ladakh
- The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) is set to construct the world’s highest tunnel at Shinku La Pass at 16,580 feet to connect Himachal Pradesh to Ladakh.
- BRO will execute this ambitious project under ‘Project Yojak’. This tunnel is proposed to be completed by 2025.
- Capital: Shimla (Summer), Dharamshala (Winter)
- Chief Minister: Jai Ram Thakur
- Governor: Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar
- National Parks: Inderkila National Park, Simbalbara National Park, Great Himalayan National Park, Pin Valley National Park, Khirganga National Park
- Capital: Leh
- Lieutenant Governor: Radha Krishna Mathur
India’s first portable solar rooftop system was unveiled in Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- India’s first portable solar rooftop system was inaugurated at Swaminarayan Akshardham temple complex in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- The installation of 10 PV Port systems in the temple complex was supported by the German development agency Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ).
- This system was installed under the Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy’s initiative to develop renewable energy cities across India.
Jammu and Kashmir launches the ‘Jan Nigrani’ app to help people lodge complaints online
- Jammu and Kashmir has launched a mobile application named ‘Jan Nigrani’ to help people lodge complaints related to various schemes online.
- This ‘Jan Nigrani’ app is an internet-based solution for reporting and resolving grievances by the residents of the Jammu and Kashmir against various schemes of the department.
Jammu and Kashmir
- Capital: Srinagar (Summer), Jammu (Winter)
- Lt. Governor: Manoj Sinha
- National Parks: Hemis National Park, City Forest (Salim Ali) National Park, Dachigam National Park, Kishtwar National Park
- Wildlife Sanctuaries: Changthang Cold Desert Wildlife Sanctuary, Gulmarg Wildlife Sanctuary, Jasrota Wildlife Sanctuary, Baltal-Thajwas Wildlife Sanctuary, Karakoram (Nubra Shock) Wildlife Sanctuary
- Lakes: Mansar Lake, Nagin Lake, Wular Lake, Surinsar Lake, Dal Lake
Telangana Government launches Spacetech framework on Metaverse
- The Telangana government launched its SpaceTech Framework on Metaverse with a vision to establish Telangana as a globally recognised one-stop destination for space technology.
- This framework aims to encourage private participation in the space industry in line with the recent reforms by the Union Government.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: M. K. Stalin
- Governor: R. N. Ravi
- National Parks: Mukurthi National Park, Guindy National Park, Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park, Indira Gandhi (Annamalai) National Park, Mudumalai National Park
IMF revises India’s GDP growth rate to 8.2 per cent for FY23
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) has revised India’s economic growth forecast to 8.2 per cent for 2023–24 (FY23) from 9 per cent estimated earlier.
- It also projected 6.9 per cent as India’s GDP growth for the fiscal year 2024–25 (FY24).
International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- Headquarters: Washington D.C., The United States
- Managing Director: Kristalina Georgieva
- Chief Economist: Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas
Agreements and MoUs Signed
IFSCA signs an MoU with the National Insurance Academy
- The International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the National Insurance Academy (NIA) to provide a skilled talent pool in the insurance sector in the International Financial Services Centres (IFSCs).
- IFSCA aims to develop a strong global connection and focus on the needs of the Indian economy as well as serve as an international financial platform at the regional/global level.
- This MoU endeavours to build the required skilled manpower for the International Financial Services Centre (IFSC).
Science and Technology
Indian Air Force successfully test-fires BrahMos missile from Su30-MkI fighter jet
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) has successfully test-fired a BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from a Sukhoi fighter jet on the Eastern seaboard.
- This ‘live firing’ of the missile was carried out in close coordination with the Indian Navy. This missile hit the target with accuracy and precision.
- Recently, the Indian Navy successfully test-fired an advanced version of the Brahmos supersonic cruise missile from a stealth destroyer in the Indian Ocean.
Lieutenant General Manoj Kumar Katiyar appointed as the next Director-General of Military Operations
- Lieutenant General Manoj Kumar Katiyar was appointed as the next Director-General of Military Operations.
- Prior to this, he was working as the General Officer Commanding of 1 Corps – a strike formation meant to undertake operations against both Pakistan and China.
- He has also worked as Director of General Staff Duties at Army Headquarters. He was rewarded with Ati Vishisht Seva Medal.
Jasleen Kohli was appointed as the new MD and CEO of Digit Insurance
- Jasleen Kohli was appointed as the new Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) the Digit Insurance with effect from 20 April 2022.
- He succeeded Vijay Kumar, who has held the post since the business’s founding in 2017 and will retire from the company on 19 April 2022.
V. Vaidyanathan was appointed as the CEO of the P&G India
- Procter & Gamble India has appointed V. Vaidyanathan as the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO). He succeeded Madhusudan Gopalan.
- He completed his Bachelor of Engineering (mechanical) from the National Institute of Technology, Nagpur and has an MBA from IIM-Ahmedabad.
Indian-American Navy veteran Shanti Sethi was appointed as the Defence Advisor of Kamala Harris
- Indian-American Navy veteran Shanti Sethi has joined US Vice President Kamala Harris’s office as her executive secretary and defence advisor.
- She is the first Indian-American commander of a major US Navy combat ship. She commanded the guided-missile destroyer ‘USS Decatur’ from December 2010 to May 2012. She was also the first female commander of a US naval vessel to visit India.
New Zealand bowler Hamish Bennett announces his retirement from all forms of cricket
- New Zealand fast bowler Hamish Bennett has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
- The 35-year-old has represented the New Zealand U-19 side, the senior men’s team and domestic teams Wellington and Canterbury.
- He represented the New Zealand men’s national team in 31 matches across all formats, taking 43 wickets.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of April 20, 2022, now from the link given below.