DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: APRIL 9, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (April 9, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Guwahati Railway station first to get ISO certification in India:
- The Guwahati Railway Station has become the first ever railway station in the Indian Railways to get an ISO certification from the National Green Tribunal (NGT) for “providing passenger amenities in a clean and green environment.”
- The station also has amenities such as High-class reserve (VIP) lounge, waiting rooms, AC and non-AC retiring rooms, food courts and sanitation facilities.
- ISO stands for “International Organisation for Standardisation” that is responsible for establishing the standard in different areas of activities. Many types of ISO certification exist and the one received by Guwahati Railway Station is ISO-14001, which is for Environment Management System as per international norms which were upgraded in 2015. Thus, the station’s certificate reads ISO 14001: 2015.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
Meteorological Department issues ‘Yellow’ weather warning for Himachal Pradesh:
- The Meteorological Department has issued a yellow weather warning for rain in Himachal Pradesh.
- The MeT office issues color-coded warnings to alert people ahead of severe or hazardous weather which has the potential to cause “damage, widespread disruption or danger to life”.
Nagaland observes 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Kohima:
- The 75th anniversary of the Battle of Kohima was observed by the Nagaland government on April 4th, 2019 with representatives from the UK and Japan.
- Theme: ‘Remembrance, Reconciliation and Rebirth’.
- Capital: Kohima
- Chief Minister: Neiphiu Rio
- Governor: Padmanabha Acharya
‘Jashn-e-Ittihaad’ was held in New Delhi:
- A music and poetry festival titled ‘Jashn-e-Ittihaad’ was held at the Jamia Milia Islamia central university in New Delhi to spread awareness about unity amongst the youth.
- It was organized by Delhi-based entertainment company Question Associates Pvt Ltd.
Biannual Army Commanders’ Conference began in New Delhi:
- The biannual Army Commanders’ Conference will begin in New Delhi today. Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will deliver her opening address at the conference.
- During the conference, important issues that are likely to be discussed are the management of the extant security dynamics, mitigation of future security threats and enhancement of combat edge over potential adversaries.
Around 5000 Konyak women dance to set a Guinness World Record at Mon, Nagaland:
- Around 5000 women of Konyak community performed at the local ground of Mon town, in their attempt to enter Guinness World Record for ‘Largest Traditional Konyak Dance display’.
- It was organised on the final day of Aoleang cum Mini Hornbill Festival 2019.
India, Sri Lanka agree to increase cooperation in security and defence spheres:
- India and Sri Lanka have agreed to increase cooperation in security and defence spheres in several areas, including regional security, curbing drug smuggling and human trafficking.
- They also exchanged views on issues pertaining to bilateral defence cooperation and regional security.
- Capitals: Colombo, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
- Currency: Sri Lankan rupee
- Prime Minister: Ranil Wickremesinghe
BANKING & BUSINESS
Indian Economy Expected to Grow 7.5% In 2019-20: World Bank
- India’s GDP growth is expected to accelerate moderately to 7.5 per cent in fiscal year 2019-20, driven by continued investment strengthening, particularly private-improved export performance and resilient consumption, the World Bank has said.
- The real GDP growth is estimated at 7.2 per cent in FY 2018/19, the World Bank said in its latest report on South Asia ahead of the spring meeting of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund.
IIT-Madras tops HRD’s national ranking of institutes:
- National Ranking of Higher Institutes was released by the Ministry of Human Resources Development in New Delhi.
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras topped the rankings while the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore bagged the second rank followed by IIT Delhi.
- Out of ten top institutes, seven are IITs. Jawaharlal Nehru University got the seventh rank and Banaras Hindu University bagged the tenth spot.
- Delhi University’s Miranda House was ranked the best among colleges across the country, while the varsity’s St Stephen’s College was ranked fourth.
- AIIMS has been ranked first among medical sciences institutes and National Law School, Bangalore has topped law colleges.
Usha Padhee Takes over as Pawan Hans’ Interim CMD:
- Usha Padhee, joint secretary in the civil aviation ministry, has been given additional charge of the post of Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of the disinvestment-bound Pawan Hans Limited.
- The post was lying vacant since the superannuation of then incumbent B P Sharma in January.
Justice Pradeep Nandrajog takes oath as new Chief Justice of Bombay High Court:
- Justice Pradeep Nandrajog took oath as the new Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court. Justice Nandrajog was serving as the Chief Justice of the Rajasthan High Court since March 2017, following his transfer from the Delhi High Court.
2019 Malaysia Open:
- The 2019 Malaysia Open, officially the CELCOM AXIATA Malaysia Open 2019, is a badminton tournament which takes place at Axiata Arena in Malaysia from 2 to 7 April 2019 and has a total purse of $700,000.
- Men’s Singles: Lin Dan (China)
- Women’s Singles: Tai Tzu-ying (China)
- Men’s Doubles: Li Junhui (China) & Liu Yuchen (China)
- Women’s Doubles: Chen Qingchen (China) & Jia Yifan (China)
- Mixed Doubles: Zheng Siwei (China) & Huang Yaqiong (China)
Isaak Hayik, 73, Set A New Record as World’s Oldest Soccer Player:
- 73-year-old Israeli Isaak Hayik set a new world record as the Oldest Person to Play in a Professional Soccer Match.
- The Iraqi-born keeper was officially recognized in an award ceremony attended by representatives from the Guinness World Record organization.
Irawan Malaysian Golfer Arie Irawan passed away aged 28:
- 28 years old Malaysian golfer Arie Irawan passed away by ‘apparent natural causes’ in his hotel room at the Chinese resort island of Hainan. He won two Asian Developmental Tour events in his seven-year career.
South Africa Women’s World Cup cricketer Elriesa Theunissen-Fourie passed away aged 25:
- Former South Africa Women’s World Cup cricketer Elriesa Theunissen-Fourie, 25, and her child were killed in a car crash. The fatal accident occurred in the north-western mining town of Stilfontein.
Senior Dubbing Artist C R Anandavally passed away at the age of 65:
- Well-known dubbing artist C R Anandavally, who lent her voice to several heroines in the Malayalam film industry.
- Anandavally won a Kerala State Award for the Malayalam film ‘Aadharam’ in which she dubbed for actress Geetha.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
#1 TRENDING VIDEO in Race YOUTUBE CHANNEL