DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 11, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 11 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Biofuel Day 2020: August 10
- World Biofuel Day is observed annually on August 10 to raise awareness about the importance of non-fossil fuels as an alternative to conventional fossil fuels.
- Theme: “Biofuels towards Atmanirbhar Bharat”.
Andhra Pradesh Signed an MoU with The Boston Group to Setup Centre at Visakhapatnam:
- Andhra government signed an MoU with Boston Group to set up a facility devoted to research and development in IT sector with focus on learning platforms and leveraging advanced technologies like artificial intelligence, machine learning and cybersecurity.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park ,Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
Chhattisgarh’s Jagdalpur becomes country’s first municipal corporation to provide forestland right certificates to people of urban area:
- Chhattisgarh’s Jagdalpur became the First Municipal Corporation in India where people of an urban area have been provided forest land right certificates. Jagdalpur is among the few municipal corporations, jurisdiction areas of which includes forestlands.
Chhattisgarh CM Bhupesh Baghel Launches Indira Van Mitan Yojana:
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel announced about the launch of “Indira Van Mitan Yojana” on the eve of International Day of World Indigenous People. It is an initiative to support forest dwellers of Chhattisgarh and achieve self-reliance.
- Capital: Raipur
- Chief Minister: Bhupesh Baghel
- Governor: AnusuiyaUikey
IIT Delhi and Bihar Pollution Control Board signs MoA for GIS based Air Quality Management:
- IT Delhi and Bihar Pollution Control Board(BPCB) have joined hands in introducing GIS(Geographical Information System) based platform aiming at the management of air quality across the state of Bihar.
- A Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) was signed between IIT Delhi and BPCB which emphasizes on identifying the sources of PM 2.5 at a very high resolution to help BPCB to take measures accordingly.
- Capital: Patna
- Chief Minister: Nitish Kumar
- Governor: Fagu Chauhan
Haryana CM launches anti-bullying campaign of Faridabad Police:
- Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar launched the anti-bullying campaign by unveiling Instagram, Facebook and Twitter page of Faridabad Police to flag the problem of bullying in home, neighbourhood, schools, colleges and workplace and implement targeted programs to counter the menace.
- Chief Minister:Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor:Satyadev Narayan Arya
- National Parks(NP):Sultanpur NP, Kalesar NP
- Dance:Phag, Dhamal, Loor, Khoria.
Finance Minister launches an Online Dashboard for the National Infrastructure Pipeline:
- Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs Ms Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated the National Infrastructure Pipeline (NIP) Online Dashboard here today through video conferencing.
- It will be a one-stop solution for all stakeholders looking for information on infrastructure projects in India. It is being hosted on the India Investment Grid.
Science and Technology
IIT Kanpur develops indigenous seed balls BEEG for farmers:
- IIT Kanpur developed indigenous seed balls named BEEG (Bio -compost Enriched Eco-friendly Globule) which will help people and farmers in plantation with safety in Corona times. It was developed in collaboration with Agnys Waste Management Private Limited.
Appointments and Resignations
Belarusan President Lukashenko wins sixth term:
- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko won his sixth term with 80.23 per cent of the vote. Lukashenko garnered 80.23 per cent of the vote, while opposition candidate Svetlana Tikhanovskaya his main rival, won nearly 9.9 per cent.
- Capital: Minsk
- Currency: Belarusian Rouble
- President: Alexander Lukashenko
Walter Martos sworn in as new Prime Minister of Peru:
- President of Peru Martin Vizcarra appointed Walter Roger Martos Ruiz, the former defence minister and retired army general, as the country’s new Prime Minister. He succeeds Pedro Álvaro Cateriano Bellido.
- Capital: Lima
- Currency: Peruvian Sol
- President: Martin Vizcarra
- Prime Minister: Walter Roger Martos Ruiz
Mohamed Ould Bilal Appointed as Prime Minister of Islamic Republic of Mauritania:
- Mohamed Ould Bilal has been appointed as the new Prime Minister of Mauritania. The appointment was made by the Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Ghazouani.
- Mohamed Ould Bilal is a veteran public administrator and has served as the head of the country’s national water agency, a presidential aide and a cabinet minister.
- Capital: Nouakchott
- Currency: Ouguiya
- Prime Minister: Mohamed Ould Bilal
- President: Mohamed Ould Ghazouani.
Senior IRS Officer Patanjali assumes charge as I-T Principal Chief Commissioner in Mumbai:
- Senior Indian Revenue Service officer Patanjali has assumed charge as Principal Chief Commissioner of Income Tax, Mumbai. Prior to this, he was holding the post of Director General of Income Tax, Bengaluru for the state of Karnataka & Goa. The 1986-batch officer has also worked in Bhopal, Indore, Bengaluru and Gwalior.
Public Enterprises Selection Board selects Soma Mondal as the next chairman of SAIL:
- Soma Mondal has been selected by the Public Enterprises Selection Board as the next chairman of public sector steel major Steel Authority of India Apart from being the first woman chairperson of SAIL, she will also be the first woman to head a major steel company in the world.
Lebanon PM Announces Resignation Of Government Over Deadly Beirut Blasts:
- Lebanon’s Prime Minister Hassan Diab announced his government’s resignation amid popular outrage over deadly Beirut port explosion that has reignited angry street protests. During a cabinet meeting, several cabinet ministers made it clear they would quit.
Awards and Recognitions
Jamia student’s crop prediction software ‘Monks’ wins Rs 1 lakh at Smart India Hackathon 2020:
- A team of six students from Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) under the name ‘Monks’ won Software Edition in problem statement NS275.
- The team had built a software system that could Predict Crop Production for the next year and could help the government to plan their policies by anticipating problems of low rainfall and flood, even before they happen.
Books and Authors
Mizoram Governor Sreedharan Pillai writes 13 books during coronavirus lockdown:
- Mizoram Governor P S Sreedharan Pillai from Kerala, penned 13 books including one of the poems titled “Corona Kavithakal”. Two more books, ”Republic Day 2020” and ”Thus Speaks the Governor” written by Pillai, were also released by Gauhati High Court Chief Justice Ajai Lamba. He has already written over 120 books.
Union Defence Minister to release a book chronicling the Vice President’s third year in office:
- A book chronicling the third year in office of the Vice President of India, Venkaiah Naidu titled ‘Connecting, Communicating, Changing’ to be released by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh. VP Naidu completes three years in office on August 11.
Punjab Cricket Association names Mullanpur stadium after Patiala’s last ruler Maharaja Yadavindra Singh:
- Punjab Cricket Association (PCA) has decided to name its Mullanpur International Cricket Stadium after the last ruler of Patiala, late Maharaja Yadavindra Singh, who had played a test match for India in 1934. He is the father of Punjab CM Amarinder Singh.
ICC Include Indian Umpire KN Ananthapadmanabhan In Panel Of International Umpires:
- Indian umpire Nitin Menon was promoted by the ICC to the elite panel of umpires, his fellow compatriot KN Ananthapadmanabhan has been included in the panel of international umpires of the ICC.
- He had an illustrious first-class career for Kerala over the span of 1988 to 2004, taking 344 wickets with his leg-spin and scoring 2,891 runs in 105 matches before taking to umpiring, joins fellow Indians C Shamshuddin, Anil Chaudhary and Virender Sharma in the international panel.
Max Verstappen Wins F1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix 2020:
- Max Emilian Verstappen from Netherland had won F1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix at the Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone, United Kingdom and became the first non-Mercedes driver to win a race in the 2020.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.