DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 9 & 10, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 9 & 10 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples- August 9:
- International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples or World Tribal Day is observed on 9 August each year to raise awareness and protect the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
World Lion Day-10 August:
- World Lion Day is observed on August 10. It commemorates to bring awareness about the declining population of lions in the world. The Co-founder of the Big Cat Initiative and the National Geographic, Dereck and Beverly Joubert started a partnership for the Lion Day in 2013.
PM Modi releases sixth installment of Rs 17,100 crore under PM-KISAN scheme:
- Under the 6th instalment of PM-Kisan scheme, ₹17,000 crore of PM-Kisan Samman Nidhi has been deposited into bank accounts of 8.5 crore farmers with a single click. Under PM-KISAN scheme, the government is providing annually ₹6,000 in 3 equal instalments. PM-KISAN scheme was launched on 1st December 2018.
PM Modi inaugurates Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra in Delhi’s Raj Ghat:
- PM Modi inaugurated the Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra, an interactive experience centre on Swachh Bharat Mission & “Gandagi Mukt Bharat” (dirt-free India) campaign on the occasion of centenary celebrations of Gandhiji’s Champaran Satyagraha, at Raj Ghat.
Union Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ”Nishank” to Inaugurate the Global Virtual Conference on Reimagining and Transforming the University:
- OP Jindal Global University (JGU) and International Institute for Higher Education Research and Capacity Building (IIHEd) present to the world a truly global conference on ‘Reimagining and Transforming the University.
KVIC set to open first Silk Training cum Production Center in Arunachal Pradesh:
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) is set to open the first-of-its-kind training-cum-production centre of silk in a far-flung tribal village of Chullyu in Arunachal Pradesh in the first week of September. It is a first of its kind in the state.
- Capital: Itanagar
- Chief Minister: Pema Khandu
- Governor: B.D. Mishra
Delhi Airport Develops Online Portal ‘Air Suvidha’ For International Passengers:
- Delhi International Airport Limited has developed an online portal ‘Air Suvidha’ will allow international passengers to fill a mandatory self-declaration form. Eligible passengers can apply for exemption from compulsory institutional quarantine for corona virus.
Railway Museum Inaugurated In Hubballi, Karnataka:
- Railways Minister Piyush Goyal & Coal Minister Pralhad Joshi dedicated Railway Museum at Hubballi in North Karnataka. This Rail Museum is first of its kind in North Karnataka and second in South Western Railway after historic Mysuru Rail Museum at Mysuru.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
Meghalaya Cabinet approves 50 percent reservation for women in Village Employment Councils:
- Meghalaya approved Policy on Reservation of seats for Women in Village Employment Councils (VECs). It brought policy of reserving at least 50% seats for women in grassroots VECs which are apolitical organizations formed for implementation of MGNREGA
- Chief Minister:Conrad Sangma
- Governor:Tathagata Roy
PM Modi to launch submarine cable connectivity for Andaman & Nicobar:
- Prime Minister Modi inaugurates the submarine Optical Fibre Cable (OFC) connecting between Chennai and Port Blair. The submarine cable will also connect Port Blair to Swaraj Dweep (Havelock), Little Andaman, Car Nicobar, Kamorta, Great Nicobar, Long Island, and Rangat.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands:
- Capital: Port Blair
- Governor: Devendra Kumar Joshi
Union Minister of Textiles Smriti Irani launches Mobile App and backend Website for Handloom Mark Scheme:
- Union Textile Minister Smriti Irani launched mobile app & backend website for Handloom Mark Scheme (HLM). She also inaugurated the ‘My Handloom’ portal for individual weavers and organizations for applying for various benefits, handloom marketing assistance & awards.
Acquisitions and Mergers
Flipkart signs MoU with UP government’s one District, One Product scheme:
- E-commerce marketplace Flipkart has signed an MoU with the One District One Product (ODOP) scheme of the Uttar Pradesh government to bring artisans, weavers and craftsmen into mainstream business under the initiative named ‘Flipkart Samparth’.
CSIR and FSSAI signs MoU for collaborative research on food and nutrition:
- An agreement was signed between CSIR and FSSAI for collaborative research & information dissemination in the area of food and nutrition. The collaboration between the two institutions of India is to contribute fulfilling the vision of New Food System 2050.
IndusInd Bank acquires 7.82% stakes in Eveready and 7.5% in McLeod Russel shares:
- IndusInd Bank has acquired 82% stake in battery maker Eveready Industries India Ltd by invoking pledged shares following a loan default. The bank also informed about acquiring 7.5% (78,32,253 shares) in tea firm McLeod Russel India Ltd by invoking pledged shares following default by the borrower.
Science and Technology
IIT Guwahati collaborates with Imperial College London to develop nanoparticle metagrid for boosting LED performance:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati and Imperial College London, United Kingdom, have developed nanoparticles the ‘Meta-Grid’ or ‘Metamaterial Grid’ that makes the Light-Emitting Diodes (LED) brighter, energy-efficient and durable.
DC Rajouri launches ‘Awaz-e Rajouri’ mobile app:
- Deputy Commissioner Rajouri Mohammmad Nazir Sheikh launched a mobile app Awaz-e Rajouri in presence of the district Officers and media persons. The app has been developed by a team of National Informatics Centre Rajouri.
JCB India appoints Deepak Shetty as its new deputy CEO and MD:
- JCB Group has announced the appointment of Deepak Shetty as Deputy CEO & Managing Director of JCB India Ltd. He will take over as MD and CEO from Subir Kumar Chowdhury.
Government Forms Panel Under RoDTEP Scheme for Exporters to be Headed by G K Pillai:
- Government of India has set up a three-member committee for determination of ceiling rates under Remission of Duties and Taxes on Exported Products (RoDTEP) scheme.
- The Committee will be headed by Secretary (retired) K. Pillai and two other members Y G Parande, retired Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs member and Gautam Ray, retired chief commissioner of custom and central excise.
Awards and Recognitions
Pune’s Defence Institute of Advanced Technology wins first prize; Smart India Hackathon 2020:
- Pune-based Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT) has won the first prize in the Smart India Hackathon (SIH) 2020, a national-level digital product building competition.
- The Defence Ministry said DIAT’s team of six members provided a solution titled “DRISHTI” to recognise face, expression and gesture using artificial intelligence (AI).
Mukesh Ambani now 4th richest man in world; Bloomberg Index:
- Mukesh Ambani with a personal wealth of $80.6 billion in 2020 has surpassed Bernard Arnault, chairman and CEO, LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton. Jeff Bezos, Bil Gates and Mark Zuckerberg rounded out the top three spots.
FSSAI’s ‘Eat Right India’ movement wins ‘Food System Vision Prize’:
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has been awarded the ‘Food System Vision Prize’ for its ‘Eat Right India’ movement’s vision, along with nine other finalists. It recognizes organizations with a vision of regenerative and nourishing food system that they aspire to create by 2050.
Nitin Sethi Wins The ACJ Investigative Journalism Award For HuffPost Series On Electoral Bonds:
- Nitin Sethi of The Huffington Post India and Shiv Sahay Singh of The Hindu bagged the prestigious Asian College of Journalism’s Award for Investigative Journalism and the P. Narayana Kumar Memorial Award for Social Impact Journalism.
Former MP Nandi Yellaiah passes away:
- Veteran Congress leader Nandi Yellaiah was elected to Lok Sabha six times & Rajya Sabha twice died. He began his political career as a corporator of Hyderabad Municipal Corporation. He was a close associate of former Chief Minister Marri Channa Reddy.
Noted Kashmiri academician Agha Ashraf Ali passed away at 98:
- Ashraf Ali worked tirelessly for many decades for the education of people of Kashmir. He is believed to responsible for the education revolution among Muslims in Kashmir. He was a renowned public orator and spoke on history, education and politics.
Former Indian Footballer Manitombi Singh Passes Away at 39:
- Former India international footballer Laishram Manitombi Singh passed away. He was from Manipur. Representing the Blue Tigers in 2002, he was part of the famous India U-23 squad that won the LG Cup. He also played in the Asian Games.
Equitas SFB appointed as official retail banking partner for Chennai Super Kings:
- Equitas Small Finance Bank announced that it has been appointed as the official retail banking partner for Chennai Super Kings (CSK) IPL team with effect from August 1, 2020.
- The Chennai-based bank was the principal sponsor of CSK in 2018. Equitas then announced that it will be the banking partner of Team CSK for three years.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.