DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 13, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 13 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Lefthanders Days- August 13:
- International Left Handers Day is an international day observed annually on August 13 to celebrate the uniqueness and differences of the left handers. It was first observed in 1976 by Dean R. Campbell, founder of the Lefthanders International, Inc.
Tribal Affairs Ministry develops nine ‘Tribal Freedom Fighters Museums:
- Tribal Affairs Ministry is developing “Tribal Freedom Fighters Museums” dedicated to the contributions of the tribal people in India to the freedom struggle. Out of the nine, two are under near completion. All museums set to come into existence by 2022.
Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat launches Swachh Bharat Mission Academy:
- Union Minister for Jal Shakti Gajendra Singh Shekhawat launched the Swachh Bharat Mission(SBM) Academy, an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) based free mobile online training course with modules on the Open Defecation Free (ODF) Plus programme at an event in New Delhi.
- The SBM academy was launched during the current week-long behaviour change campaign ‘GandagiMukt Bharat’.
Assam government to roll out Arunodoi scheme to provide financial assistance from October 2:
- Assam government is all set to roll out Arunodoi Scheme from October 2, 2020, with an aim to provide financial assistance to around 17 lakh families in the state.
- As per the Finance Minister, Himanta Biswa Sarma, under the scheme an amount of 830 per month will be given to the eligible 17 lakh families to buy the essential items of food.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: SarbanandaSonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
Goa signs MoU with NSDC for setting up World-Class Skill Development Institute:
- Goa government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the National Skill Development Development Corporation (NSDC) for setting up an institute to provide advanced skills training.
- Union Minister for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Mahendra Nath Pandey and Goa Skill Development Minister Vishwajit Rane were present for the ceremony to sign the MoU, which was executed online.
- Chief Minister:Pramod Sawant
- Governor:Satya Pal Malik
Himachal Pradesh CM Jai Ram Thakur launches nutritional immunity boosting Him Haldi Dudh:
- Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur launched Nutritional Immunity Boosting ‘Him Haldi Dudh(Turmeric Latte)’ manufactured by MILKFED and also distributed incentive to the Milk Producers of Mandi, Shimla and Kullu district under the National Programme for Diary Development and also interacted with them through video conference from Shimla.
- Chief Minister:Jai Ram Thakur
Rajasthan government and SIDBI to ink MoU for cluster-based development of MSMEs:
- Rajasthan government and the Small Industrial Development Bank of India (SIDBI) will soon ink an agreement to create newer avenues and growth opportunities for MSME units in the State.
- A project management unit (PMU) will be set up by SIDBI in Rajasthan to provide assistance to certain sectors which are cluster-based such as textiles in Bhilwara and handicrafts in Jodhpur.
- Chief Minister:Ashok Gehlot
- Governor:Kalraj Mishra
Corporate Affairs Minister Rajesh Verma Released Report of the Committee on Business Responsibility Reporting:
- An expert panel set up by the ministry of corporate affairs has proposed a new reporting framework called as “Business Responsibility and Sustainability Report (BRSR)” for businesses to report how sustainable and responsible they are in addition to being compliant with the law.
- The panel led by Gyaneshwar Kumar Singh, a joint secretary in the ministry
Bangladesh to get largest ever dollar 3.1 billion loan package from Japan
- Japan has signed its largest-ever loan package worth dollar 3.1 billion for Bangladesh. The loan is being provided under Japan’s Official Development Assistance (ODA) for seven projects of Bangladesh under concessional terms.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Taka
- Prime minister: Sheikh Hasina
- President: Abdul Hamid
Banking and Economy
Razorpay launches payment gateway ‘Button’ to digitise freelancers, NGOs:
- Payment gateway startup Razorpay has introduced a feature that allows micro-entrepreneurs and freelancers to instantaneously accept digital payments online, a move attempted to corner the market of the rapidly digitising small businesses amid the ongoing pandemic.
- The feature called the ‘Payment Button’ will enable businesses and freelancers to add a single line of code on a website or blog and go live with a payment gateway within a few minutes.
RBI announces ‘positive pay’ feature to enhance safety of cheque payments:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to introduce a mechanism of ‘Positive Pay’ for all cheques of value Rs 50,000 and above.
- The limit of Rs 50,000 will cover approximately 20 per cent of transactions by volume and 80 per cent by value.
Acquisitions & Mergers
CCI Approved Proposed Combination Pertaining to JV Formation between Honda Motor and Hitachi:
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved the proposed combination filed jointly by Keihin Corporation(KC), Nissin Kogyo Co., Ltd.(NKCL), Showa Corporation (SC) and Hitachi Automotive Systems, Ltd.(HIAMS) to form a Joint Venture(JV) between Honda Motor Co. Limited(HAMCL) and Hitachi Limited.
Appointments and Resignations
Isher Judge Ahluwalia resigns as ICRIER chairperson after 15-year stint:
- Isher Judge Ahluwalia has stepped down as chairperson of think tank Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER) due to health reasons. She had been in this position for 15 years. Pramod Bhasin will now be the new chairman.
Startup eBikeGO ropes in cricketer Harbhajan Singh as brand ambassador:
- Electric mobility startup eBikeGO has roped in Indian cricketer Harbhajan Singh as its brand ambassador. It is aiming to build mass appeal, positive voice and widespread adoption for electric mobility thereby looking to capture 10% of electric two wheeler market share by 2022.
Science and Technology
Delhi Gov Signed an MoU with IIT-Bombay and Tata Projects Limited for Smog Tower:
- Delhi government has signed an MoU with IIT-Bombay and Tata Projects Limited to construct a smog tower in Connaught Place following Supreme Court orders. The smog tower is a 20-metre-high structure fitted with several air purifiers to clean the air.
Reliance Foundation launches “W-GDP Women Connect Challenge”:
- Reliance Foundation has launched the “W-GDP Women Connect Challenge” across India in association with US Agency for International Development (USAID) and Women’s Global Development and Prosperity (W-GDP).
Hyderabad Based Startup Skyroot Aerospace Becomes First Private Company To Test Upper Stage Rocket Engine:
- Hyderabad-based startup Skyroot Aerospace successfully tested an Upper-Stage Rocket Engine becoming the first Indian private company to build a homegrown rocket engine. The 3-D printed rocket engine has been named Raman.
Atal Innovation Mission launches second edition of student entrepreneurship programme:
- Niti Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), in collaboration with Dell Technologies launched the second edition of its Student Entrepreneurship Programme (SEP) for young innovators of Atal Tinkering Labs (ATLs).
Awards and Recognitions
Cristiano Ronaldo wins Juventus MVP of the Year award for record 37 goals in single season:
- Cristiano Ronaldo was named as Juventus ‘Most Valuable Player of the Year’ for the championship that lasted for almost 11 months. He ended the 2019-20 season with 37 goals, broke the record for scoring most goals in a single season across competitions.
Books and Authors
A Book titled “Our Only Home: A Climate Appeal to the World” authored by Dalai Lama:
- The Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama will release a new book on climate change with German environmental journalist Franz Alt in. The book has been titled “Our Only Home: A Climate Appeal to the World”.
ViacomCBS head Sumner Redstone passes away at 97:
- Media magnate Sumner Redstone who headed Viacom Inc and CBS has passed away. He has been credited with building a media empire and heading many high-profile takeovers in his career. He was the chairman of the board of the National Amusements theatre chain.
Congress leader and spokesperson Rajiv Tyagi dies after heart attack:
- Congress spokesperson Rajiv Tyagi died of a heart attack shortly after he finished an intense discussion on a Hindi news channel on the violence in Bengaluru. He was regularly participating in TV debates. Tyagi was 52 years old.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.