DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 16 & 17, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 16 & 17 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Indian Railways constructing world’s tallest pier bridge across river Ijai in Manipur:
- North East Frontier Railway zone has constructed the world’s tallest pier bridge in the North-Eastern state of Manipur to provide connectivity. It is constructed across River Ijai. Its tallest pier height will be of 141 meters. The total length of the bridge will be 703 meters.
- Chief Minister:N. Biren Singh
- Governor:Najma Heptulla
Union Minister Kiren Rijiju begins Fit India Youth Clubs initiative:
- Minister of Youth and Sports Federation Kiren Rijiju launched the “Fit India Youth Club” The Fit Youth Club of India is a national plan to promote the fitness of every citizen. The plan envisages using the power of youth across the country to raise public awareness of the relevance of fitness.
Nagaland CM launches e-commerce platform ‘Yellowchain’:
- Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio launched an e-commerce platform ‘Yellowchain’ during the State level celebration of India’s Independence Day at Secretariat Plaza, Kohima.
- Yellowchain is a single window e-commerce platform developed by Investment & Development Authority of Nagaland (IDAN) to promote local business and entrepreneurship, a DIPR report informed.
- Chief Minister:Neiphiu Rio
- Governor:R N Ravi
European Union launches Project Nirmanshree to empower 3000 women-led households in Odisha and Maharashtra:
- With an aim to enhance women’s entrepreneurial skills in low-cost and green housing related services, and to strengthen the delivery of such services through government and private sector in India, Habitat for Humanity India launched Project Nirmanshree, funded by the European Union. Project Nirmanshree to empower 3000 women-led households in Odisha and Maharashtra.
Government aims to create five crore jobs in MSME sector: Nitin Gadkari:
- Speaking at SWAVALAMBAN E-Summit 2020 organized by “Lets Endorse Development” NGO in Delhi, MSME Minister said that government will increase MSME exports to 60% from 48% & create 5 crore jobs in next 5 years. According to him 11 crore jobs were created so far.
Karnataka CM B S Yediyurappa vows to build a ‘Kalyana Rajya’:
- Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa has vowed to build a ‘Kalyana Rajya’ a Welfare state with the avowed principle of ‘development’ as the only mantra.
- Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa informed that the government has come to the rescue of farmers in distress by buying Rs 3,175 crore worth of farm products such as green gram, tur dal, groundnut, chickpea and copra under the minimum support price programme from 82 lakh farmers.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
US to sell 66 F-16 fighter jets to Taiwan amid soaring tensions with China:
- Taiwan signed an agreement to buy 66 latest model F-16 jets built by Lockheed Martin Corp. a move likely to further inflame tensions between the US & China. The purchase marks the first sale of advanced fighter jets since WB Bush announced approval in 1992. In addition to Taiwan, Morocco is buying 24 F-16s jets.
Banking and Economy
Punjab National Bank launches “Digital Apnayen” campaign to promote digital banking:
- State-owned Punjab National Bank launched “Digital Apnayen” campaign to encourage customers to use digital banking channels.
- Under the campaign ‘DIGITAL APNAYEN’, the bank will contribute Rs 5 towards the PM CARES Fund on behalf of each customer conducting the first financial transaction to activate their RuPay Debit card either on point of sale (PoS) or e-commerce platform.
RBI approved a dividend of Rs 57,128 crore to Central Government headed by Shaktikanta Das:
- Reserve Bank of India has approved a dividend payout of 57,128 crores to the government for its fiscal year. It has decided to maintain a Contingency Risk Buffer of 5.5 percent at the minimum threshold recommended by the Jalan committee to review RBI’s capital framework.
Acquisition and Mergers:
Universal Sompo General Insurance and BSE EBIX join hands to sell General Insurance products:
- Universal Sompo General Insurance has partnered with BSE Ebix Insurance Broking Private Limited, a joint venture between BSE and Ebix Fincorp Exchange, to sell General Insurance products using distribution network of BSE Ebix in a digitized environment.
IIM-Bangalore join hands with NSE to offer platform for investor education:
- NSE has announced a digital learning platform for investor education. The platform, launched by SEBI’s executive director Nagendra Parakh is an online investor education resource centre, developed jointly by NSE Investor Protection Fund Trust & IIM-Bangalore.
Singer Shahzan Mujeeb Signed As First Ever National Brand Ambassador Of Aligarh Municipal Corporation:
- Aligarh Municipal Corporation (AMC) has recently roped in Indian Idol Season 11 Finalist and Oscar Nominated Playback Singer Shahzan Mujeeb as its First-Ever National Brand Ambassador for Swachh Bharat Abhiyan Campaign at National and International level.
SEBI Appoints G P Garg as Executive Director:
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has appointed G P Garg as executive director (ED). Prior to his promotion as ED, Garg was Chief General Manager in SEBI and has handled several assignments since joining in January 1994.
Kaushik Khona to replace Vinay Dube as CEO of GoAir:
- Vinay Dube has quit GoAir with immediate effect Kaushik Khona is new CEO of GoAir. Dube, who was earlier the CEO of Jet Airways was appointed as the CEO of GoAir after being appointed as a consultant for the airline. Khona has more than 32 years of corporate experience and all at CXO level.
Science and Technology
ISRO shares image of moon crater captured by Chandrayaan-2, names it ‘Vikram Sarabhai’:
- Indian Space Research Organisation announced that Chandryaan-2 captured images of the Moon & named one of the craters after Vikram Sarabhai. Sarabhai Crater is around 250 to 300 kilometres east of the crater where the Apollo 17 and Luna 21 Missions landed.
Former Indian cricketer and Uttar Pradesh Minister Chetan Chauhan passes away:
- Former Indian cricketer and Uttar Pradesh minister Chetan Chauhan passed away following multiple organ failure. He was 73 and was tested positive for COID-19. Chauhan was Minister of Sainik Welfare, Home Guards, PRD and Civil Security in the UP Cabinet. He played 40 Tests scoring 2084 runs with 16 half-centuries.
US President Donald Trump’s younger brother Robert Trump dies at 71:
- Donald Trump’s younger brother, Robert Trump, a businessman known for an even keel passed away after being hospitalised in the ICU. He started his career on Wall Street but later joined family business, holding as top executive in the Trump Organisation.
Mercedes Lewis Hamilton won F1 Spanish Grand Prix 2020:
- Mercedes-Great Britain’s Formula One Racer Lewis Hamilton has received the Formula One Spanish Grand Prix 2020. the race was held at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Spain. this was his 4th win during this season and he achieved 88th win.
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull – Netherlands) came second followed by Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes-Finland) at third.
Former captain MS Dhoni Retired From International Cricket:
- The former captain of Indian Team MS Dhoni has decided to take retirement from international cricket. He had already retired from Tests in 2014. Dhoni has quicksilver stumpings and helicopter-sixes. he was the part of 2007 World T20, 2011 World Cup and 2013 Champions Trophy.
Suresh Raina retires from International Cricket:
- Indian batsman Suresh Raina has declared his retirement from the International Cricket. He played his 1st international match against Sri Lanka in 2005 and played 226 ODIs, 78 T20Is and 18 Tests in his cricketing profession that crossed more than 13 years.
- He scored 7,787 runs into all the formats of cricket. He additionally got 167 catches.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.