Daily Current Affairs: July 22, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (July 22, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Brain Day – 22 July
- World Brain Day is observed on 22 July every year. This day is observed to raise awareness and promote advocacy related to brain health.
- World Federation of Neurology (WFN) and MS International Federation (MSIF) are at the forefront, leading the World Brain Day campaign to spread awareness about multiple sclerosis (MS), a neurological disease whose effects range from cognitive impairment to significant physical disability.
- 2021 Theme: “Stop Multiple Sclerosis”
National Mango Day (India) – 22 July
- National Mango Day (India) is celebrated on 22 July. This day is solely dedicated to the delicious fruit of Mango that people love to eat or at times drink, especially during the summer season.
National Refreshment Day (India) – 22 July
- National Refreshment Day (India) is observed on the fourth Thursday of July every year. This year (2021), the day falls on 22 July. This day is celebrated to remind people that they can take out time from their busy schedules and enjoy themselves.
Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu inaugurates the World Universities Summit 2021
- Vice President of India M Venkaiah Naidu has inaugurated the World Universities Summit 2021 (WUS 21). This summit was organised by P. Jindal Global University under the theme of “Universities of the Future: Building Institutional Resilience, Social Responsibility and Community Impact”.
China unveils the fastest ground vehicle “Maglev Train” in the world
- China unveiled Maglev Train which is being touted as the fastest ground vehicle in the world with a maximum speed of 600 kmph or 372 kmph. It was manufactured in the coastal city of Qingdao, China.
- The train uses electro-magnetic force, making it to “float”. so, there is no contact between the rail and the body.
- Capital: Beijing
- President: Xi Jinping
- Currency: Renminbi
Banking and Economy
IBBI amends regulations for the insolvency process to enhance transparency
- The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) has amended the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (Insolvency Resolution Process for Corporate Persons) Regulations, 2016, to enhance the discipline, transparency and accountability in corporate insolvency proceedings.
Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI):
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairperson: MS Sahoo
U GRO Capital partners with Bank of Baroda to launch an Rs. 1,000-crore MSME co-lending programme ‘Pratham’
- U GRO capital has partnered with Bank of Baroda to launch micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) co-lending programme ‘Pratham’
- It is an 1,000 crore co-lending programme that will allow MSMEs to avail customised lending solutions at a competitive rate of interest. This programme was launched under the Reserve Bank of India’s revised co-lending guidelines. The loan amount ranges from Rs. 50 lakhs to Rs. 2.5 crores.
Bank of Baroda (BOB)
- Headquarters: Baroda (Vadodara), Gujarat
- MD & CEO: Sanjiv Chadha
- Chairman: Hasmukh Adhia
- Tagline: “India’s International Bank”
HDFC ERGO launches ‘Optima Secure’ health policy
- Non-life insurance company HDFC ERGO General Insurance has announced the launch of Optima Secure, a new health-indemnity health insurance product that seeks to redefine the value customers can get from their insurance plan.
- This product has the Secure, plus, Protect and Restore benefits built-in that offer customers up to 4 times their sum insured at no additional charge while guaranteeing coverage for listed non-medical expenses.
Multilink partners with NSDL Payments Bank to build 4,000+ business correspondent agent networks in India
- NSDL Payments Bank has announced a strategic partnership with Multilink to boost the banking facilities in rural and semi-urban areas in India.
- Multilink will begin its strategic partnership with NSDL Payments Bank to build agent points across India and the strategic tie-up will also result in providing banking facilities to rural and urban areas through NEO banking systems.
NSDL Payments Bank
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- CEO: Ashutosh Singh
- Established: 2018
Biteeu India becomes the world’s first space-based digital currency exchange for ultra-secure transactions
- Biteeu India partnership with SpaceChain for the successful launch of its digital security infrastructure into space onboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket under the rideshare program.
- This marks Biteeu India as the first cryptocurrency exchange in the world to leverage the high security of space-grade infrastructure for ultra-secure Bitcoin cryptocurrency transactions and having its public satellite key backed up on a space node.
Acquisitions and Mergers
BYJU’S buys US-based kids’ reading platform Epic for $500 million
- India’s ed-tech giant BYJU’S has acquired the US-based digital reading platform Epic for $500 million. This American platform is focused on nurturing the habit of reading in the kids of age 12 and below.
- The acquisition is to help BYJU’S in expanding its US footprint by providing access to more than two million teachers and 50 million kids in Epic’s existing global user-base.
Science and Technology
DRDO successfully flights test indigenous Man-Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM)
- The Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight tested indigenously developed low weight, fire and forget Man-Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM).
- This mission marked a major boost for the Government of India’s Atmanirbhar Bharat campaign and would strengthen the Indian Army.
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: G Satheesh Reddy
- Founded: 1958
Blue Origin completes its first human passenger flight using “New Shepard” rocket
- Blue Origin completed its first crewed launch sending four human passengers to space (including Amazon’s founder Jeff Bezos) by New Shepard rocket. It was launched from a private launch site in Texas, US.
- Sanjal Gavande, an Indian-born engineer, was part of the Blue Origin team that built the New Shepard rocket.
NSE Foundation launches largescale CSR project ‘CAVACH’ for increased COVID-19 vaccination in aspirational districts
- NSE Foundation, a subsidiary of the National Stock Exchange (NSE), in partnership with the NITI Aayog and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), has launched a programme ‘CAVACH’ to spread awareness on COVID-19 vaccination in India.
- This programme will unite the efforts of grassroots-level partners and the local district administration to facilitate increased vaccination in remote districts of India.
DRDO successfully flight-tests surface-to-air missile Akash-NG
- Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight-tested the new generation Akash missile (Akash-NG), a surface-to-air missile from Integrated Test Range (ITR) off the coast of Odisha.
- The missile system has been developed by Defence Research & Development Laboratory (DRDL), Hyderabad, in collaboration with other DRDO laboratories.
Awards and Recognitions
Ngangom Bala Devi and Sandesh Jhingan win the AIFF Footballer of the Year awards
- Sandesh Jhingan was named the AIFF Men’s Footballer of the Year 2020–21. This was the first time he has been given this award after being adjudged as the Emerging Player of the Year Award in 2014.
- Ngangom Bala Devi was named the AIFF Women’s Footballer of the Year 2020–21. It was the third time that she had won this award.
- Manisha Kalyan and Suresh Wangjam had won the Women’s and Men’s Emerging Player of the Year awards, respectively.
Books and Authors
Former RBI Governor Duvvuri Subbarao unveils CK Garyali’s book ‘Bank with A Soul: Equitas’
- Former Governor of RBI Duvvuri Subbarao released a book titled ‘Bank with a Soul: Equitas’ which was authored by CK Garyali.
- CK Garyali is a founder trustee of EDIT (Equitas Development Initiative Trust).
Daily CA July 22 One-liner:
|1. World Brain Day – 22 July|
|2. National Mango Day (India) – 22 July|
|3. National Refreshment Day (India) – 22 July|
|4. Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu inaugurates the World Universities Summit 2021|
|5. China unveils the fastest ground vehicle “Maglev Train” in the world|
|6. IBBI amends regulations for the insolvency process to enhance transparency|
|7. U GRO Capital partners with Bank of Baroda to launch an Rs. 1,000-crore MSME co-lending programme ‘Pratham’|
|8. HDFC ERGO launches ‘Optima Secure’ health policy|
|9. Multilink partners with NSDL Payments Bank to build 4,000+ business correspondent agent networks in India|
|10. Biteeu India becomes the world’s first space-based digital currency exchange for ultra-secure transactions|
|11. BYJU’S buys US-based kids’ reading platform Epic for $500 million|
|12. DRDO successfully flights test indigenous Man-Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM)|
|13. Blue Origin completes its first human passenger flight using “New Shepard” rocket|
|14. NSE Foundation launches largescale CSR project ‘CAVACH’ for increased COVID-19 vaccination in aspirational districts|
|15. DRDO successfully flight-tests surface-to-air missile Akash-NG|
|16. Ngangom Bala Devi and Sandesh Jhingan win the AIFF Footballer of the Year awards|
|17. Former RBI Governor Duvvuri Subbarao unveils CK Garyali’s book ‘Bank with A Soul: Equitas’|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of July 22, 2021, now from the link given below.