DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 20, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 20 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Mosquito Day-20 August:
- World Mosquito Day is observed on 20 August annually to raise awareness about the causes of malaria and how it can be prevented. The day also commemorates the discovery made by British doctor Sir Ronald Ross in 1897 that female mosquitoes transmit malaria between humans.
Ministry of Electronics and IT launches Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge:
- Union Ministry of Communications, Electronics and Information Technology has launched the “Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge- Innovate Solutions for #Aatmanirbhar Bharat” to provide further impetus to the strong startup ecosystem, and drive innovation and research in the country.
- IIT Madras and Centre for Development of Advance Computing (CDAC) have developed two microprocessors named SHAKTI (32-bit) and VEGA (64-bit) respectively using Open Source Architecture.
‘Dhanwantari Rath’ to bring ayurveda at doorsteps of Delhi Police families:
- A MoU was signed between the All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) and the Delhi Police for extending Ayurvedic Mode of preventive and promotive health services in the residential colonies of the force. Supported by the AYUSH ministry, these services will be provided by AIIA through a mobile unit named ‘Dhanwantari Rath’ and Police Wellness Centres.
- Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal
Madhya Pradesh government to provide poor people Rs. one per kg wheat, rice, salt from Sept 1:
- Madhya Pradesh CM announced Rs 1 per kg wheat, rice & salt for as many as 37 lakh such poor people across the state not covered under the national food security scheme. Apart from this 5 kg per person free ration to be provided to poor families by November.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
‘Ek Sankalp – Bujurgo ke naam’ campaign proves to be boon for senior citizens amid corona pandemic:
- In Madhya Pradesh, a unique campaign ‘Ek Sankalp – Bujurgo ke naam’. A commitment for elders is being run by the Chhatarpur Police in the midst of corona infection in the state.
- This unique campaign is proving to be a boon for the Elderly People living alone in homes during the global pandemic COVID-19.
J&K government publishes its work done under ‘Back to Village (B2V)’ programme:
- In a first of its kind, government of Jammu & Kashmir published its work done under Back to Village (B2V) All 1930 projects finished during the financial year 2019-20 have been showcased in an e-book recently released by the Finance department.
Jammu and Kashmir:
- Capital: Srinagar (summer), Jammu (winter)
- Governor: Manoj Sinha
Uttar Pradesh government introduces new electronics manufacturing policy:
- Government of Uttar Pradesh has unveiled a new electronics manufacturing policy to become a global electronics hub and attract international investors looking to shift their base to India. PM’s vision of achieving ZERO imports of electronics goods.
- The policy aims at inviting investments of Rs 40,000 crore in five years and creating four lakh direct jobs.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
Government to set up National Recruitment Agency to hold common exam for various government and bank jobs:
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the proposal to set up a National Recruitment Agency (NRA). NRA will be the nodal agency to conduct the Common Eligibility Test (CET) for jobs in the government and state-owned banks.
- The score in these exams would be valid for three years and the candidate would have the option of taking the exam again to improve the score.
UAE connects first Arab nuclear plant to power grid:
- UAE has announced that it connected its Barakah Nuclear Power Plant to the national grid in a first for the Arab world. The milestone follows the successful start-up of the plant’s first reactor to meet 25% of its electricity needs from nuclear power. UAE is 3rd largest oil-producing in the
United Arab Emirates (UAE):
- Capital: Abu Dhabi
- President: Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
- Prime Minister: Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Banking and Economy
World Bank sees higher GDP fall in India than 3.2% it projected for FY21:
- World Bank said it was likely to project a steeper contraction in India’s economy than the 2 per cent it had forecast for the current financial year, given the rising number of Covid-19 cases & lockdowns. The revised projections will be made available in October 2020.
NPCI launches international unit to expand reach of UPI:
- National Payments Corporation of India launched international unit, NPCI International Payments Ltd to expand real-time payment system Unified Payments Interface & card payment network RuPay in other countries. UPI & RuPay are already present in Singapore & UAE.
Tata Capital launches ‘Swift Insta Personal Loans’ on WhatsApp:
- Tata Capital, the financial services arm of the Tata Group announced the launch of its new service called ‘Swift Insta Personal Loans’ (SIPL) on WhatsApp. The chatbot was recently launched on WhatsApp as a service platform to facilitate customer requests including queries on EMI details or updating customer records.
YES Bank launches unique facility ‘Loan against Securities’:
- ‘Loan against Securities’ is an unique digital solution launched by the YES Bank under its loan in seconds platform. “Loan against Securities” will enable customers to avail loan facility against the securities that they hold. The customers are required only to pledge the securities and not selling them.
Edelweiss Tokio Life partners with Element AI for AI transformation journey:
- Edelweiss Tokio Life Insurance Company Limited has partnered with Element AI, a global developer of AI (Artificial Intelligence)-powered solutions and products, to develop, design and implement a strategic AI roadmap for the new age insurer and prioritise their investments into AI.
Appointments and Resignations
Luis Rodolfo Abinader sworn in as President of Dominican Republic:
- Luis Rodolfo Abinader has been sworn in as 54th President of the Dominican Republic. The 53-year-old economist and businessman Abinader succeeds Danilo Medina, who served the country from 2012 to 2020.
- Capital: Santo Domingo
- Currency: Dominican Peso
- President: Luis Rodolfo Abinader
Mali President Ibrahim Boubacar Kita resigns amid military coup:
- Mali’s President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita resigned hours after soldiers (National Committee for the Salvation of the People) seized him as part of a coup following months of mass protests against alleged corruption and worsening security in the country.
- Currency: West African CFA Franc.
Cyril George assumes charge as new Dy Chairman of Cochin Port Trust:
- Deputy Chairman Chennai Port Trust Cyril C. George has joined Cochin Port Trust as Deputy Chairman. Mehera, Deputy Chairman, Cochin Port Trust has been transferred to Kolkata Dock System, Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port Trust, Kolkata.
Kishor Rungta assumed charge as Chairman of Fertilisers Association of India:
- Kishor Rungta, C&MD, The FACT Ltd, assumed charge as Chairman of Fertilisers Association of India, Southern Region. It represents the fertiliser manufacturers, distributors, importers, equipment manufacturers, research institutes and suppliers of inputs.
Dhanlaxmi Bank appoints 4 new directors to the Board:
- Dhanlaxmi Bank has appointed PK Vijayakumar and G Rajagopalan Nair on the Board of the Bank. Last month, the Bank had appointed G Subramonia Iyer and Suseela Menon R also as Additional Directors (Independent Category) to the Board.
Former India goalkeeper Bhaskar Maity dies at 67:
- Former India goalkeeper Bhaskar Maity died due to brain haemorrhage. He represented India against Iraq during the 1978 Asian Games in Bangkok. He played for Maharashtra from 1975 to 1979 in the Santosh Trophy. He was the coach of RCF Football team.
British Tennis legend Angela Buxton passes away at 85:
- Former British tennis player, two-time Grand Slam doubles champion and equal rights pioneer Angela Buxton has passed away. She was 85. Buxton won the women’s doubles alongside Althea Gibson. at both Roland Garros and Wimbledon in 1956.
AIFF signs MoU with IPSO to Conduct Online Scouting Workshops in India:
- All India Football Federation (AIFF) signed an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with International Professional Scouting Organization (IPSO) to conduct online Scouting Workshops throughout India.
INOX Group to sponsor Indian team for Tokyo Olympics: IOA
- INOX group will be the official sponsor of the Indian team for the rescheduled Tokyo Olympics, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA). The Tokyo Olympics was rescheduled to next year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It will be held from July 23 to August 8 in 2021.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.