DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Jun 19, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Jun 19 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict – 19 June:
- United Nations (UN) adopted June 19 every year as the International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict. The main aim of this day is to raise awareness of the need to put an end to conflict-related sexual violence.
Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan Launches India’s First Mobile Laboratory For Coronavirus Testing:
- Union minister Harsh Vardhan launched a mobile lab for coronavirus testing which can be deployed in rural areas and help in promoting last-mile testing.
- The mobile lab, also called I-Lab or Infectious Diseases Diagnostic Lab can run 50 RT-PCR tests in a day. It can also conduct up to 200 ELISA tests in a day.
Karnataka to Observe ‘Mask Day’ on June 18 to Spread Awareness About Covid-19:
- Chief Minister of Karnataka BS Yediyurappa announced that Karnataka will observe 18th June 2020, as “Mask Day” to create awareness to the general public on the importance of wearing a mask, using sanitisers, washing hands and maintaining social distancing against COVID-19.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
Telangana Government Issues Ordinance to Defer Payment of Employees, Pensioners:
- Telangana has promulgated the Telangana Disaster and Public Health Emergency (Special Provisions) Ordinance 2020 which allowed it to defer salaries and pensions of its employees, pensioner and institution, any person (ready contract or outsourcing employees) in the State.
- Chief Minister:K. Chandrashekar Rao
- National Parks(NP):KasuBrahmananda Reddy NP, Mahaveer Harina NP, Mrugavani NP.
Banking and Economy:
ADB forecasts Indian economy to contract 4% in FY21:
- Asian Development Bank has projected Indian economy to contract by 4% in Fiscal Year 2021. Indian economy has been projected to contract, as businesses came to a standstill for more than two months due to the nationwide lockdown implemented to contain the COVID-19.
- The Asian Development Bank expects India’s economy to recover in Fiscal Year 2022 with growth rate of 5%, as economic activity will get to its normal state gradually.
Asian Development Bank:
- Founded- 19 December 1966
- Headquarters- Mandaluyong, Philippines.
- President- Masatsugu Asakawa.
- Membership– 68 countries
ICICI Home Finance launches affordable housing loan scheme “SARAL”:
- ICICI Home Finance has launched a special Affordable Housing Loan scheme, with special rates for women, lower and middle-income groups. Called SARAL, it aims to fund homes in urban and rural areas. SARAL offers affordable housing loans up to ₹35 lakh. The interest rate starts from 7.98% onwards.
Karnataka Bank launches COVID-19 health insurance in partnership with Universal Sompo:
- Karnataka Bank has launched a health insurance policy for COVID-19 in a tie-up with Universal Sompo General Insurance Company.
- The health cover can be availed at a nominal premium (current price without taking inflation or other factors into account) of Rs 399, inclusive of all taxes.
- Headquarters: Mangalore
- CEO: Mahabaleshwara M. S
- Tagline: “Your Family Bank Across India”
Bank of Baroda to Fully digitize lending operations:
- India’s third largest lender Bank of Baroda is set to completely digitize it’s lending operations including home, agriculture, MSME, personal and auto loans.
- The bank which is looking to completely do away with paper-based lending has reached out to the big four and some white shoe consultants like McKinsey and Boston Consulting Group to help set up a “digital lending department”.
RBI Proposes New Norms For Housing Finance Companies:
- RBI proposed to double the minimum Net Owned Fund (NOF) requirement for housing finance companies to Rs 20 crore.
- Classifying HFCs as systemically important (asset size of Rs 500 crore and above) and non-systemically important (asset size less than Rs 500 crore).
- Housing loans must account for at least 50% of HFCs’ assets of which at least 75% should be towards individual housing loans. HFCs which do not fulfill this criterion will be treated as NBFC – Investment and Credit Companies (NBFC-ICCs)
Acquisitions and Mergers:
CCI approves acquisition of Metso Oyj’s minerals business by Outotec Oyj:
- CCI approves the acquisition of Metso Oyj’s (“Metso”) minerals business by Outotec Oyj (“Outotec”) under Section 31(1) of the Competition Act, 2002. It is to be achieved by a partial demerger of Metso Minerals pursuant to the Finnish Companies Act.
Tata AIA Life introduces Aadhaar based offline e-KYC service:
- Tata AIA Life Insurance (Tata AIA Life) has tied up with East Consultancy Services to offer Aadhaar based, offline e-KYC service for seamless customer on-boarding during online application process for its life insurance solutions.
- The initiative will further help Tata AIA Life in going paperless by eliminating the need for physical documents viz. proof of identity, address and date of birth for ‘Know Your Customer’ (KYC) process when the customer opts for this service.
Volkan Bozkir of Turkey elected president of UN General Assembly:
- Turkish diplomat Volkan Bozkir has been elected president of the 75th session of the United Nations General Assembly.
- Bozkir was running uncontested. He won unanimous support from the 178 UN member states that were present in voting that was conducted by secret ballot. He will take over from Tijjani Muhammad-Bande.
Kubatbek Boronov appointed as Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan:
- Kubatbek Boronov was appointed as Kyrgyzstan’s Prime Minister. Kyrgyzstan’s President Sooronbai Jeenbekov signed an order to appoint him. He succeeded Mukhammedkalyi Abylgaziyev who resigned against corruption.
- Capital: Bishkek
- Currency: Kyrgyzstani Som
- Prime Minister: Kubatbek Boronov
- President: Sooronbay Jeenbekov
Science and Technology:
Mumbai gets ‘Air-Venti’ app for real-time information on ICU beds, ventilators:
- In Maharashtra, the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) has launched a mobile app “Air-Venti” to help residents in the city to know about the availability of the ICU beds and Ventilators in both government and private hospitals.
Awards and Recognitions:
Nobel-laureate Indian economist Amartya Sen wins 2020 Peace Prize of the German Book Trade:
- Harvard professor & Nobel-laureate Indian economist Amartya Sen has won the prestigious Peace Prize of the German Book Trade for his decades-long work on “Questions Of Global Justice”.
Books and Authors:
Megha Majumdar’s ‘A Burning’ is blazing up the bestseller list and emerging as the must-read novel of the summer:
- A Book name titled “A Burning” Authored by Megha Majumdar. The Penguin Hamish Hamilton released the debut novel of Megha Majumdar. The 32-year-old New York’s writer Megha Majumdar was born and raised in Kolkata.
Malayalam Director K R Sachidanandan Passes Away:
- Film director, script writer & producer K R Sachidanandan popularly known as Sachy, died. He passed away after suffering a cardiac arrest. He was on ventilator sport. He gave a recent hit movie named Ayyappanum Koshiyum which starred Prithviraj-Biju Menon.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.