DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Aug 21, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Aug 21 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Akshay Urja Diwas 2020: 20 August
- Akshay Urja Diwas (Renewable Energy Day) is observed every year on 20 August since 2004 to raise awareness about the developments and adoption of renewable energy in India. The Akshay Urja Day was initiated by the Indian Ministry for New & Renewable Energy Sources in 2004.
World Senior Citizen Day: 21 August
- World Senior Citizen Day is observed globally on August 21 every year to raise awareness about issues affecting older people, such as deterioration with age and the abuse of the elderly and support, honor and show appreciation to seniors and to recognize their achievements.
International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism: 21 August:
- United Nations observes 21st August every year as International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism. The day is observed to pay tribute to the individuals across the globe who have been attacked, injured, traumatized or lost their lives because of terrorist attacks.
Harsh Vardhan launches interactive first-of-its-kind video game ‘Corona Fighters’ to spread awareness:
- Harsh Vardhan launched first-of-its-kind game on COVID-19, Corona Fighters. It presents a new & creative way to teach people the right tools and behaviors to fight Covid-19. He launched two new videos urging adherence to key COVID Appropriate behaviours.
Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla participates in 5th World Conference of Speakers of Parliament:
- The two day conference was organized virtually for the first time due to COVID-19. The event was organized by the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Geneva, jointly with the Parliament of Austria and with the support of the United Nations (UN).
- The theme of the conference was “Parliamentary leadership for more effective multilateralism that delivers peace and sustainable development for the people and planet”.
Chandigarh administration launches new website:
- Environment Information System (ENVIS) of the Department of Environment of Chandigarh Administration has launched a new website. The URL of the website is http://chandigarhenvis.gov.in.
- The website which has been developed on the latest technologies is designed as per guidelines issued by the Central Government.
Ministry of Skill Development and Ministry of Shipping ink MoU for skill development in port & maritime sector:
- The Memorandum of Understanding signed between the Ministry of Skill Development and Ministry of Shipping aims at skilling, re-skilling and up-skilling manpower for the growing maritime industry and development of the coastal community.
Jharkhand government launches new state emblem:
- Jharkhand unveiled a new logo which is circular in size with the Emblem of India representing cooperative federalism placed at the centre. Logo is encircled with green colour, which depicts the greenery of the state and symbolizes happiness and prosperity.
- Capital: Ranchi
- Chief Minister: Hemant Soren
- Governor: Draupadi Murmu
Madhya Pradesh emerges as leading state in implementation of Pradhan Mantri Street Vendors Atma-Nirbhar Scheme:
- Madhya Pradesh has emerged as the leading state in the implementation of Pradhan Mantri Street Vendors Atma-Nirbhar Scheme-PM Swa-Nidhi. PM Swa-Nidhi is a Central Sector Scheme to facilitate street vendors to access affordable working capital loan for resuming their livelihoods activities.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
Tribal Affairs Minister launches “Trifood Project” in Raigad, Jagdalpur:
- The tertiary processing centres of “Trifood Project” of TRIFED, Ministry of Tribal Affairs has been virtually launched by the Union Tribal Affairs Minister Arjun Munda. The Trifood project has been launched in Raigad, Maharashtra and Jagdalpur, Chhattisgarh. This project is expected to help in encouraging the tribal entrepreneurship.
Apple Becomes First U.S. Company to reach $2 Trillion Market Cap:
- Apple Inc. has become the first publicly traded U.S. Company to reach a market capitalization of over $2 trillion, after its share price climbed above $467.77 on 19 August 2020. Apple is also the world’s only second company to hit $2 trillion in market cap.
- Before this, Oil Major Saudi Aramco was the world’s first and only publicly listed company to reach a $2 trillion market value in December 2019.
41 lakh young Indians lost jobs due to COVID-19 crisis: ILO-ADB Report
- As many as 41 lakh youth in the country lost jobs due to the COVID-19 pandemic while construction and farm sector workers account for the majority of job losses, according to a joint report by the International Labour Organization (ILO) and the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
International Labor Organization (ILO):
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Director-General: Guy Ryder
Banking and Economy
NPCI launches its subsidiary firm – NPCI International Payments Ltd (NIPL):
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has launched its wholly-owned subsidiary firm named NPCI International Payments Limited (NIPL). Ritesh Shukla has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of NIPL.
- The primary focus of NIPL would be the internationalization of RuPay and UPI, along with a few more offerings of NPCI.
National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI):
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Non-Exe Chairman: Biswamohan Mahapatra
- MD & CEO: Dilip Asbe
IRDAI group recommends setting up loss prevention entity for non-life insurers:
- A working group constituted by the Insurance Regulator has recommended the setting up of a non-profit company to reduce insurance losses arising from property and motor related liabilities for the industry.
- The ten-member committee headed by IRDAI member T L Alamelu has recommended the regulator and industry participants to join hands in establishing this company.
IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority):
- Headquarters: Hyderabad, Telangana.
- Chairman: Subhash Chandra Khuntia.
Acquisitions and Mergers
Atal Innovation Mission partners India-Sweden Healthcare Innovation Centre:
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), NITI Aayog & Business Sweden on behalf of India Sweden Healthcare Innovation Centre are collaborating to promote the disruptive potential of Indian entrepreneurs. It aims to boost the vibrant start-up ecosystems across India.
IIT Roorkee Sign MoU with BIS to Cooperate in Standardisation and Conformity Assessment:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee and Bureau of India Standards (BIS) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for collaboration in areas of Standardization and Conformity Assessment based on equality and reciprocity.
L&T Hydrocarbon Engineering signs pact with NTPC for CO2-to-methanol plants:
- L&T Hydrocarbon Engineering (LTHE) has signed a memorandum of understanding with state-run NTPC to build a carbon dioxide (CO2) to methanol demonstration plant in NTPC Power Station.
- Under this pact, LTHE and NTPC will further collaborate to accelerate the development and subsequently commercialize CO2-to-methanol plants.
NSC and JCI sign pact for supply of certified jute seeds to farmers 2021:
- State-owned National Seeds Corporation (NSC) and Jute Corporation of India (JCI) entered into a pact for supply of 10,000 quintals of certified jute seeds to farmers next year, a move that will help improve production and yield of raw jute in the country.
- The MoU was signed virtually in the presence of Union Minister for Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar and Union Minister for Textiles, Smriti Zubin Irani.
Science and Technology
DRDO Successfully Test Fires First Pinaka Rockets Produced by Economic Explosives Ltd (EEL):
- Indian Army successfully test-fired the first ever privately manufactured Pinaka rockets recently from the firing range in Pokharan, which achieved the desired results by accurately hitting targets.
- The rockets have been manufactured by Economic Explosives Ltd (EEL) and are the first ammunition of its kind made by the private sector in India.
Google launches Mobile app ‘Kormo’ in India to help people find entry-level jobs:
- Google has launched its employment application named ‘Kormo Jobs’ in India. It would help millions of Indians to get entry-level jobs.
- Kormo Jobs will help to provide Entry-Level Jobs to thousands of people, to help those who have lost their jobs during the coronavirus and young professionals who are looking for jobs.
Francisco Asue reappointed as Prime Minister of Equatorial Guinea:
- Francisco Pascual Eyegue Obama Asue was reappointed as the Prime Minister of the Republic of Equatorial Guinea for 3rd consecutive term. The Asue government tendered the resignation to President Teodoro Obiang, following the criticism of the president.
- The government was dissolved to resolve the economic situation. Francisco Asue was first appointed as the Prime Minister of Equatorial Guinea on 23rd June 2016.
Republic of Equatorial Guinea:
- Capital: Malabo
- Currency: Central African CFA franc
- Prime Minister: Francisco Pascual Eyegue Obama Asue
- President: Teodoro Obiang
Karnataka Bank appoints Justice A V Chandrashekar and Mr. Pradeep Kumar Panja as Additional Directors:
- Karnataka Bank Ltd. has appointed Justice A V Chandrashekar and Pradeep Kumar Panja as Additional Directors. Justice AV Chandrashekar is a former Judge of Karnataka High Court. Pradeep Kumar retired as Managing Director (Corporate Banking) of SBI.
Kishor Rungta assumes charge as Chairman of Fertilisers Association of India:
- Kishor Rungta, C&MD, The Fertilizers And Chemicals Travancore Ltd (FACT) has assumed charge as Chairman of Fertilisers Association of India, Southern Region (FAI SR).The ‘FAI SR’ covers stakeholders from the states of Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh & Telangana.
Keith Rowley Becomes Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago for a 2nd Consecutive Term:
- Keith Christopher Rowley sworn in as Prime Minister of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago for a 2nd consecutive 5 year term at the President’s House, following victory in general elections held recently.
Republic of Trinidad and Tobago:
- Capital: Port of Spain
- Currency: Trinidad and Tobago dollar
- President: Paula-Mae Weekes
- Prime Minister: Keith Christopher Rowley
Awards and Recognitions
Swachh Survekshan 2020: Indore cleanest city for the fourth time:
- Indore emerged as the cleanest Indian city fourth time in a row in the Swachh Survekshan 2020 conducted by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA). The second and the third position was taken by Surat and Navi Mumbai, respectively. Varanasi was adjudged the best ‘Ganga Town’ in the survey.
Ganesh Vilas Lengare awarded Star 2020 Certificate by World Book of Records, London:
- Solapur based social activist Ganesh Vilas Lengare has been awarded the Star 2020 Certificate by the World Book of Records, London. The organization, found in 2017, honors personalities for their outstanding contribution towards humanity and universal peace.
India ranked 57th in Digital Quality of Life Index 2020; Report by SurfShark:
- 2nd edition of global research “Digital Quality of Life (DQL) Index 2020” released by online privacy solutions provider SurfShark, India ranked 57th out of 85 countries in terms of overall category “Digital Quality of Life 2020” with 0.5 index points which has been topped by Denmark with 0.79 points.
Books & Authors
A Book titled “India Tomorrow: Conversations with the Next Generation of Political Leaders” authored by Pradeep Chhibber:
- The book will give a snapshot of contemporary Indian politics through interviews with 20 of the country’s most prominent next-generation politicians. The book includes interviews of Politicians below the age of 50 years only and released in August, 2020.
- The book is written by American academicians Pradeep Chhibber and Harsh Shah and published by Oxford University Press (OUP).
Penguin announces Sudha Murthy’s next book ‘Grandparents’ Bag of Stories’ on her 70th birthday:
- The new book titled ‘Grandparents’ Bag of Stories’ aims at entertaining children featuring 20 stories. Penguin Random House announced a new children’s book by author and philanthropist Sudha Murthy to mark her 70th birthday.
Veteran cricketer Gopalaswamy Kasturirangan passes away:
- Veteran cricketer Gopalaswamy Kasturirangan passed away due to heart attack. Kasturirangan was a former cricketer-administrator and the BCCI curator. He had mostly played his matches for Mysore in Ranji Trophy as the right-arm medium pace bowler from 1948 to 1963.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.