Daily Current Affairs: August 03, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (August 03, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah lays the foundation stone of the Uttar Pradesh State Institute of Forensic Sciences in Lucknow
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah laid the foundation stone of the Uttar Pradesh State Institute of Forensic Sciences in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- He laid the foundation stone for the Vindhyachal Corridor Project and inaugurated a ropeway in Mirzapur.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological Parks: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan (Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden
Hindustan Zinc signs an MoU with Normet group oy to introduce EVs in underground mining
- Hindustan Zinc Limited has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Normet Group Oy for sustainable operations for healthier mining & greener tomorrow by introducing a fleet of battery-powered service equipment in underground mining.
- Through this partnership, Hindustan Zinc aims to reduce carbon emissions, by enabling the mine operations to become more environmental friendly with the help of Normet SmartDrive Vehicles (NSDVs).
Myanmar Military Chief Min Aung Hlaing was appointed as the interim Prime Minister
- Myanmar’s military leader Senior General Min Aung Hlaing declared himself as the interim Prime Minister of Myanmar.
- He is also the Chairman of the State Administration Council (SAC) which has been performing the duties of the Government in Myanmar.
- Capital: Naypyitaw
- President: Win Myint
- Currency: Burmese Kyat
World’s largest star sapphire cluster found in Sri Lankan backyard
- The world’s largest star sapphire cluster was found in Sri Lanka. The stone was found by a group of men who were digging a well in a gem trader’s home in the Ratnapura area.
- The pale-blue stone has an estimated value of up to $100 million in the international market. It weighs around 510 kilograms or 5 million carats.
- Capital: Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
- Currency: Rupee
- Prime Minister: Mahinda Rajapaksa
- President: Gotabaya Rajapaksa
Banking and Economy
SBI launches ‘SIM Binding’ feature in YONO & YONO Lite
- State Bank of India (SBI) has launched a new and enhanced security feature ‘SIM Binding’ in YONO and YONO Lite to protect customers from various frauds.
- This feature will provide enhanced security to all our customers and help them with a convenient and safe online banking experience.
State Bank of India (SBI)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman: Dinesh Kumar Khara
- Tagline: “The Banker to Every Indian”
PhonePe launches UPI-based AutoPay functionality for mutual fund SIP investments
- Digital payments platform PhonePe has introduced a Unified Payments Interface (UPI)-based AutoPay feature for its mutual fund investment offerings. PhonePe became the first digital investment platform in India to introduce such a feature.
- This feature will enable customers to set up automatic Systematic Investment Plan (SIP) payments for their mutual fund investments.
Paytm Payments Bank becomes the first bank in India to crosses the 1-crore FASTags mark
- Paytm Payments Bank became the first bank in India to achieve the milestone of issuing 1 crore FASTags. According to NPCI, over 47 crore FASTags were issued by all banks together till the end of June 2021.
- Headquarters: Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- Founder: Vijay Shekhar Sharma
- Founded: 2010
Indian Bank signs an MoU with SINE and IIT Bombay for funding Start-ups and MSMEs
- Indian Bank has signed an MoU with Society for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (SINE) and IIT Bombay for extending exclusive credit facilities to Startups and MSMEs through its loan product ‘IND Spring Board’.
- SINE and IIT Bombay provide support to the MSME sector by providing joint research and development arrangements and technical & financial support for incubation and acceleration of high-end technology products.
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- MD and CEO: Padmaja Chunduru
- Establishment: 1907
- Tagline: “Your Own Bank”
- Allahabad Bank was amalgamated with the Indian Bank on 1 April 2020.
Mini Ipe was appointed as the Managing Director of LIC
- Mini Ipe was appointed as the Managing Director of Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC).
- Mini Ipe is a post-graduate in Commerce from Andhra University and joined LIC in 1986 as a direct recruit officer. She was the first woman zonal manager (in-charge) of LIC and headed SCZO, Hyderabad.
Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Founded: 1 September 1956
- Chairman: MR Kumar
- Managing Director: Mini Ipe
Awards and Recognitions
DBS clinches global accolade for innovation in digital banking; Financial Times publication
- Development Bank of Singapore (DBS) was honoured as the global winner for 2021 Most Innovative in Digital Banking by the Financial Times publication report.
- The bank was also recognised as the Asia-Pacific winner and won in the Cyber Security category for its Secure Access and Remote Working Solution.
Development Bank of Singapore (DBS)
- Headquarters: Singapore
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO): Piyush Gupta
Haryana Police secures the first position in the CCTNS system
- Haryana Police has secured the first position in the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network System (CCTNS) system with 100 per cent marks in India.
- Haryana Police was followed by Gujarat Police and Himachal Pradesh Police.
World Masters gold medal winner Man Kaur passed away at 105
- Multiple World Masters Championship Gold medallist and multiple Asian Masters Championship medallist athlete Man Kaur passed away at the age of 105. She was known as the “Miracle Mom from Chandigarh”.
- She won her first medal in Chandigarh Masters Athletics meet in 2007 before she won the gold in 100 m as well 200 m race in the National Masters Athletics meet in 2011.
Alexander Zverev beats Karen Khachanov to win men’s singles tennis at Tokyo Olympics
- Alexander Zverev won Germany’s first-ever gold medal in men’s singles win over Russian Karen Khachanov.
- World no.5 has joined Steffi Graf (Seoul 1988, women’s singles) and Boris Becker and Michael Stich (Barcelona 1992, men’s doubles) as the nation’s only gold medallists since the sport returned to the Olympic stage in 1988.
Belinda Bencic beats Marketa Vondrousova to become 1st Swiss woman to win Olympic tennis gold
- Belinda Bencic won Switzerland’s third Olympic tennis gold by defeating Marketa Vondrousova of the Czech Republic.
Daily CA August 3 One-liner:
|1. Union Home Minister Amit Shah lays the foundation stone of the Uttar Pradesh State Institute of Forensic Sciences in Lucknow|
|2. Hindustan Zinc signs an MoU with Normet group oy to introduce EVs in underground mining|
|3. Myanmar Military Chief Min Aung Hlaing was appointed as the interim Prime Minister|
|4. World’s largest star sapphire cluster found in Sri Lankan backyard|
|5. SBI launches ‘SIM Binding’ feature in YONO & YONO Lite|
|6. PhonePe launches UPI-based AutoPay functionality for mutual fund SIP investments|
|7. Paytm Payments Bank becomes the first bank in India to crosses the 1-crore FASTags mark|
|8. Indian Bank signs an MoU with SINE and IIT Bombay for funding Start-ups and MSMEs|
|9. Mini Ipe was appointed as the Managing Director of LIC|
|10. DBS clinches global accolade for innovation in digital banking; Financial Times publication|
|11. Haryana Police secures the first position in the CCTNS system|
|12. World Masters gold medal winner Man Kaur passed away at 105|
|13. Alexander Zverev beats Karen Khachanov to win men’s singles tennis at Tokyo Olympics|
|14. Belinda Bencic beats Marketa Vondrousova to become 1st Swiss woman to win Olympic tennis gold|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of August 03, 2021, now from the link given below.