Daily Current Affairs: December 7, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (December 7, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Civil Aviation Day – 7 December
- International Civil Aviation Day is observed on 7 December to recognise the socio-economic development and importance of aviation and international air travel.
- This day was first observed in 1994.
- It was established on 7 December 1996 by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
- The theme selected by UNGA on the last anniversary, which is to be observed till 2023, is ‘Advancing innovation for global aviation development’.
Armed Forces Flag Day (India) – 7 December
- Armed Forces Flag Day (India) is observed on 7 December every year to collect funds from people for the betterment of the Armed Forces staff by selling Indian flags, batches, stickers and other items.
- Every year since 1949, India has commemorated the Armed Forces Flag Day. It started on 28 August 1949, when a committee constituted by the then- Union Defense Minister decided on 7 December as the annual Flag Day of the Armed Forces.
Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment launches the SRESHTA scheme for the socio-economic upliftment of SC students
- Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Virendra Kumar launched the Residential Education for Students in High Schools in Targeted Areas (SRESHTA) scheme for the socio- economic upliftment and overall development of Scheduled Castes (SC) students by providing quality residential education to meritorious students in reputed private schools.
- This scheme will enable bright SC students to have a better future by getting a high-quality education, as well as help to reduce SC dropout rates from grades 9 to 12.
Union Government expands the SCALE Committee by adding three new members
- Union Government has expanded the SCALE Committee (Steering Committee for Advancing Local Value-Add and Exports) by adding three new members, hailing from diverse industry backgrounds.
- Currently, the 14-member Steering Committee for Advancing Local Value-Add and Exports (SCALE) committee is headed by former Mahindra CEO Pawan Goenka.
- The SCALE Committee, formed by the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry, has been working closely with the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT).
Kazhuveli Wetland in Tamil Nadu was declared as the 16th bird sanctuary
- The Tamil Nadu Environment, Climate Change and Forest Department has designated the Kazhuveli Wetlands near Villupuram in Tamil Nadu as a bird sanctuary and it will now be known as the ‘Kazhuveli Birds Sanctuary’ under the subsection (1) of Section 18 of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972.
- This will be the 16th bird sanctuary in Tamil Nadu.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: M. K. Stalin
- Governor: R. N. Ravi
- National Parks: Mukurthi National Park, Guindy National Park, Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park, Indira Gandhi (Annamalai) National Park, Mudumalai National Park
Banking & Finance
ICICI Lombard announces cashless OPD service for customers through MedPay
- ICICI Lombard, along with Medway Technologies, announced the launch of cashless and seamless Out Patient Department (OPD) services for its customers through MedPay’s Connected Care Network (Medpay CCN).
- ICICI Lombard policyholders will now be able to avail cashless OPD solutions at their neighbourhood clinic, pharmacy or diagnostic centre through Medpay CCN.
Punjab National Bank launches an android application for differently-abled employees named the ‘PNB Pride-CRMD module’
- PNB Pride-CRMD module tool, an android-based application for differently-abled personnel, was launched by the Punjab National Bank (PNB) to monitor and effectively follow up with special mention account (SMA) borrowers.
- Special mention accounts are those assets/accounts that show symptoms of bad asset quality in the first 90 days itself or before being identified as Non-Performing Assets (NPA).
- This pride module has built-in talkback software that allows visually impaired people to access the system freely and enable them to interact with customers by tapping on their phones.
Punjab National Bank (PNB)
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- CEO: S. S. Mallikarjuna Rao
- Tagline: “The Name You Can Bank Upon”
YES Bank partners with the National Payments Corporation of India to launch to credit cards on the RuPay platform
- YES Bank, in collaboration with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), has launched new RuPay-branded credit cards for its customers on the indigenously developed payment platform.
- YES Bank has launched the YES Prosperity Rewards Plus credit card variant on the RuPay platform for its Yes Prosperity segment customers.
- MD & CEO: Prashant Kumar
- Founder: Rana Kapoor
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Tagline: “Experience our Expertise”
Hindustan Unilever Chairman Sanjiv Mehta is set to take over as the President of FICCI
- Sanjiv Mehta, Chairman and Managing Director of Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL), will be appointed as the President of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
- He will succeed Uday Shankar.
- He is also the President of Unilever South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Nepal) and is a member of the Unilever Leadership Executive, which is Unilever’s global executive board.
FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry):
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- Secretary-General: Arun Chawla
The Gambia re-elects Adama Barrow as its President for a second term
- Adama Barrow was re-elected as the President of The Gambia for a second term.
- He defeated Yahya Jamme.
- He is a successful property developer who once worked as a security guard in London.
- Capital: Banjul
- Currency: Gambian Dalasi
- President: Adama Barrow
Olaf Scholz is set to take charge as the Chancellor of Germany
- Olaf Scholz will be the next Chancellor of Germany after replacing Angela Merkel, who served as Germany’s Chancellor for four consecutive terms.
- Olaf Scholz became Vice-Chancellor and finance minister of Germany in 2018.
- He previously served as the first Mayor of Hamburg from 2011 to 2018.
- Angela Merkel took over the charge as Germany’s Chancellor since 2005.
- Capital: Berlin
- Currency: Euro
- President: Frank-Walter Steinmeier
- Chancellor: Angela Merkel
Ranks and Indices
Dictionary.com names ‘allyship’ as its Word of the Year 2021
- Allyship is named as Dictionary.com’s Word of the Year 2021 Word of the Year 2021.
- The site offers two definitions for allyship. The role of a person who advocates for the inclusion of a ‘marginalised or politicised group’ in solidarity but not as a member and the more traditional relationship of ‘persons, groups or nations associating and cooperating with one another for a common cause or purpose’.
- Pandemic was named as Dictionary.com’s Word of the Year 2020.
Agreements and MoUs signed
Tata Power and IIT Madras sign an MoU to collaborate on research and development, training and consultancy services
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras and Tata Power have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to collaborate on research and development (R&D), consultancy, policy advocacy, advice, training and commercialisation of innovations and solutions to pursue advanced research in areas of future technology.
- This agreement also includes campus recruitment opportunities for postgraduate students of IIT Madras.
Argentina wins the FIH Men’s Junior Hockey World Cup 2021
- Argentina beat Germany to lift the FIH Men’s Junior Hockey World Cup 2021 trophy held at Odisha’s Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar.
- This is their second FIH Junior Men’s Hockey World Cup title.
- Argentina has become the only third team after Germany (six wins) and India (2001, 2016) to win multiple FIH Junior Hockey World Cup titles.
- India finished fourth in the Tournament after losing to France.
Ananya Bansal from India wins the silver medal at the Asian Youth Paralympic Games 2021
- India’s Ananya Bansal won India’s first silver medal in shotput in the F-20 category at the Asia Youth Paralympic Games 2021 held in Manama, Bahrain.
- Ananya Bansal is an athlete with an intellectual impairment.
Lewis Hamilton clinches Formula 1 Saudi Arabia Grand Prix 2021
- Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes clinched the Formula 1 Saudi Arabia Grand Prix 2021 after beating Max Verstappen of Red Bull held on a street circuit in the coastal city of Jeddah.
- Lewis Hamilton, already clinched the races of F1 Bahrain Grand Prix, F1 Portuguese Grand Prix, F1 Spanish Grand Prix, F1 Russian Grand Prix, F1 Brazilian Grand Prix and F1 Qatar Grand Prix, so far in 2021.
Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen and Chinese Taipei’s Tai Tzu Ying were named the Badminton World Federation’s (BWF) Player of the Year
- Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen and Chinese Taipei’s Tai Tzu Ying were named the male and female players of 2021 by the Badminton World Federation (BWF).
- Other Winners in the list are:
- Most Improved Player of the Year: Lee Yang and Wang Chi-Lin
- Pair of the Year: Greysia Polii and Apriyani Rahayu
- Eddy Choong Most Promising Player: Kunlavut Vitidsarn
- Male Para-Badminton Player of the Year: Qu Zimo
- Female Para-Badminton Player of the Year: Leani Ratri Oktila
- Para-Badminton Pair of the Year: Lucas Mazur and Faustine Noel
- Special Mention: Kevin Cordon
Books and Authors
Rachna Bisht Rawat is set to release her new book titled ‘1971: Charge of the Gorkhas and Other Stories’
- Rachna Bisht Rawat is set to release her new book titled ‘1971: Charge of the Gorkhas and Other Stories’ on 10 December 2021.
- The publisher of this book is Penguin Random House India.
- Her other books are The Brave: Param Vir Chakra Stories, Insomnia: Army Stories, Kargil: Untold Stories From The War.
Daily CA- 7 December One-Liners
|International Civil Aviation Day – 7 December|
|Armed Forces Flag Day (India) – 7 December|
|Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment launches the SRESHTA scheme for the socio-economic upliftment of SC students|
|Union Government expands the SCALE Committee by adding three new members|
|Kazhuveli Wetland in Tamil Nadu was declared as the 16th bird sanctuary|
|ICICI Lombard announces cashless OPD service for customers through MedPay|
|Punjab National Bank launches an android application for differently-abled employees named the ‘PNB Pride-CRMD module’|
|YES Bank partners with the National Payments Corporation of India to launch to credit cards on the RuPay platform|
|Hindustan Unilever Chairman Sanjiv Mehta is set to take over as the President of FICCI|
|The Gambia re-elects Adama Barrow as its President for a second term|
|Olaf Scholz is set to take charge as the Chancellor of Germany|
|Dictionary.com names ‘allyship’ as its Word of the Year 2021|
|Tata Power and IIT Madras sign an MoU to collaborate on research and development, training and consultancy services|
|Argentina wins the FIH Men’s Junior Hockey World Cup 2021|
|Ananya Bansal from India wins the silver medal at the Asian Youth Paralympic Games 2021|
|Lewis Hamilton clinches Formula 1 Saudi Arabia Grand Prix 2021|
|Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen and Chinese Taipei’s Tai Tzu Ying were named the Badminton World Federation’s (BWF) Player of the Year|
|Rachna Bisht Rawat is set to release her new book titled ‘1971: Charge of the Gorkhas and Other Stories’|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of December 7, 2021, now from the link given below.